• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh, Super Smough is kicking my ass. I've already beaten O&S on a previous play through, but this time has been brutal using a Pyro, as opposed to a Sorceror on my first play. Tips?

I'd love to summon Solaire, I don't have any Humanity.

what weapon are you using? i am playing through the game again in order to do the dlc and i just did this fight. my method once i got to super smough was to keep a pillar between you and him and get a hit or two in after he does the jumping hammer smash. the only move he has that is really scary is the aoe lightning butt slam. roll the hell away from him when he does that. otherwise, the pillars are really the key to the fight. they really protect you from him.

i have a question about artorias: i lost to him a couple of times, and i am wondering if preventing his power-up charge move (that has the magic explosion at the end) is a matter of hitting him a certain number of times or doing a certain amount of damage. any ideas? i have been able to get in two hits with my dragon tooth +2, but he still gets it off. that is my hardest hitting weapon but is sorta too slow to rely on getting any more hits in. youtube vids it seems like if you hit him three times he stops doing the move.

Booshka

If you love the look of it, then why not? If you've gone to the end of Crystal Caves, you can farm the Man Clams there for Twinkling Titanite no problem.

I made an Artorias build that fast rolls with the full (upgraded) armour set and sword. No magic and nothing in the off-hand ;)

It's pretty fun, and the full set gives 36 poise, I think. I even went crazy and put some points into RES, which has actually improved my rate of survival somewhat. My only real foes are those bastards with Ultra Greatswords. The patch didn't seem to nerf stunlocking like I thought it would...

Pretty much every PvP battle apart from that is great fun, especially as the Abyss Sword moveset is so varied. Catching people with the forward somersault move is ridiculously satisfying.

If you switch your primary weapon while stunlocked it will back you out of it and you won't be stunlocked any longer. The Cleric NPC in the Forest does this trick inadvertently. Just spam right on the d-pad if you know you are gonna get stunlocked. Ultra greatswords like the Zwei, Greatsword and DGM still have pretty vicious stunlock, but the regular Greatswords, Claymore GLGS, MLGS, don't stunlock nearly as well.

Also, if anyone has a Titanite Slab they can spare it would be greatly appreciated, already used three of em on some gear, but I want a few more for my armor and to +15 a Claymore. I have 32 Chunks from farming Darkwraiths, so I'm willing to exchange up to 15 Chunks per Slab. This is for a Level 91 character on 360.

Onemic

Why are there two OT's for this game?

And Im guessing Deprived is the best class to start out with since all the stats are balanced?(im going for a hybrid fighter/mage type character)

Booshka

And Im guessing wanderer is the best class to start out with since all the stats are balanced?(im going for a hybrid fighter/mage type character)

I think Bandit is one of the best classes because it is perfect for min/maxing STR/END and Vit. Warrior is great if you want to use a lot of different weapons. Pyro is great for almost anything and Wanderer is great for Dexterity and Intelligence. I would suggest Warrior first so you can concentrate on Melee and use all types of weapons.

Onemic

I think Bandit is one of the best classes because it is perfect for min/maxing STR/END and Vit. Warrior is great if you want to use a lot of different weapons. Pyro is great for almost anything and Wanderer is great for Dexterity and Intelligence. I would suggest Warrior first so you can concentrate on Melee and use all types of weapons.

Whoops, I meant Deprived. How about that class?

Booshka

Whoops, I meant Deprived. How about that class?

Terrible, it's a jack of all trades class. It doesn't even make sense if you are going to level past 200 and try to do everything, by then all the other classes match up the same. Better off choosing a class that has 3-4 skills its best at, then ignores the others.

sixghost

I've never actually looked into this, but what is the strategy for beating Super Ornstein? I've tried him 6 or 7 times, but Super Smough is far easier. I could never find a single opening to hit Ornstein where I wouldn't get absolutely destroyed.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
If you switch your primary weapon while stunlocked it will back you out of it and you won't be stunlocked any longer. The Cleric NPC in the Forest does this trick inadvertently. Just spam right on the d-pad if you know you are gonna get stunlocked. Ultra greatswords like the Zwei, Greatsword and DGM still have pretty vicious stunlock, but the regular Greatswords, Claymore GLGS, MLGS, don't stunlock nearly as well.
What a clever trick. Thanks very much for this!

I've never actually looked into this, but what is the strategy for beating Super Ornstein? I've tried him 6 or 7 times, but Super Smough is far easier. I could never find a single opening to hit Ornstein where I wouldn't get absolutely destroyed.

If you stand right next to him, half his attacks will miss and you can block the rest. Just make sure you have a good shield.

He's actually easier than Super Smough.

No more DS for me until I get a new controller, PS3 pads are thirty fucking quid. I couldn't believe how much they cost but realised third party controllers are trash, so going to have to cough up this weekend if I want to ever troll blue phantoms in Dark Anor Londo ever again. Sniff ;_;

This is the original OT, the other is mainly for the PC version, but both are used pretty interchangeably.

This sounds weird but dive into him, you can dodge pretty much all of his spear attacks simply by rolling into him, including his unblockable impale attack. And since you're always so close to him you'll always get a chance to attack him. His electric butt slam is not nearly as dangerous as Smough's so you can usually just react to it by rolling back.

If you love the look of it, then why not? If you've gone to the end of Crystal Caves, you can farm the Man Clams there for Twinkling Titanite no problem.

I made an Artorias build that fast rolls with the full (upgraded) armour set and sword. No magic and nothing in the off-hand ;)

It's pretty fun, and the full set gives 36 poise, I think. I even went crazy and put some points into RES, which has actually improved my rate of survival somewhat. My only real foes are those bastards with Ultra Greatswords. The patch didn't seem to nerf stunlocking like I thought it would...

Pretty much every PvP battle apart from that is great fun, especially as the Abyss Sword moveset is so varied. Catching people with the forward somersault move is ridiculously satisfying.

Thank you! Sounds like I will try it out. :)

Onemic

Is the first guy you talk to in the new area after you defeat the very first boss in the game important? I attacked him and now he just wants to kill me.

Yopis

Haha fighting man clams right now it sucks.

Sanic

I'm starting to get back into the game again (i've been playing it on and off since release), and i'm just continually impressed with how well crafted it is in every respect.

However, I do feel like i'm hitting a wall as i'm making my way through the depths. The challenge has escalated quite a bit, and I lake any kind of competent ranged attacks, which would help a bit. Any general tips, or recommendations for a ranged spell/weapon that would be appropriate for a warrior around this area on a first playthrough?

I'm starting to get back into the game again (i've been playing it on and off since release), and i'm just continually impressed with how well crafted it is in every respect.

However, I do feel like i'm hitting a wall as i'm making my way through the depths. The challenge has escalated quite a bit, and I lake any kind of competent ranged attacks, which would help a bit. Any general tips, or recommendations for a ranged spell/weapon that would be appropriate for a warrior around this area on a first playthrough?
You should've come across two spells merchants and a pyro merchant by now if you want to use magic, and there is also a bow that is easily obtained
On a ledge in Darkroot Basin.
and a crossbow
in Undead Burg, and they also drop from the crossbow using hollows there.

Is the first guy you talk to in the new area after you defeat the very first boss in the game important? I attacked him and now he just wants to kill me.
Not important.
His dialogue gives you an idea of what to do early on, and eventually you will fight him any way, either way he doesn't drop any loot.

Try not to do it with anyone else though, especially merchants, you can pay a fine in souls to have them de-aggro, but that could get expensive!

survivor

Banned
How does increasing stats work in the game? I'm still in the first couple areas of the game and after I got the Drake Sword, when I tried to increase my STR stat, it never showed a change in the weapon stats holding the Drake Sword.

SxP

You should've come across two spells merchants and a pyro merchant by now if you want to use magic, and there is also a bow that is easily obtained
On a ledge in Darkroot Basin.
and a crossbow
in Undead Burg, and they also drop from the crossbow using hollows there.

You can also just buy a short bow for 1000 from the undead merchant in undead burg.

He just tells you exactly where to go and what to do for the beginning of the game.

You're on your own now!

I spent 40 fucking minutes wandering around Depths. I didn't find a single bonfire, I had no clue where to go, everything is dark, I killed a giant rat, 90% of enemies are all incredibly weak and only make the area take longer, and then I died with no idea where I was and lost 2 humanity. This isn't frustrating because it's challenging like any other part of the game, it's just completely horrible design in every aspect. The enemies are lame and uninteresting, the visual design is nonexistent, and it's a maze.

This area is so unbelievably terrible I'm not sure why I should even keep playing. It's that atrocious. And this isn't the PC version thread, but since the entire area is covered in water, performance is poor as well.

Sanic

Thanks for the help guys!

That'll work too!

I already have this. I just assumed that, being several hours past the point where you could buy this, there would be something better, but i'll look into the other suggestions above!

I just seemingly don't have consistent enough reaction times to fight for an extended amount of time, so i've tried to build myself more as a glass cannon so I can push through encounters, but maybe that's not the best way to go about this.

Misguided

Banned
Reposted from the PC thread...

Holy hell Quelaag. Out of purple clumps, are they seriously gonna make me trek all the way back to Darkroot Garden, farm for clumps, and then come all the way back just to get through the dumb swamp part?

vidcons

Banned
Any level 40 PC tough peeps out there who want to help me in Anor Londo?

Tired of failed summonings, invasions and just about everything before the throne room.

I spent 40 fucking minutes wandering around Depths. I didn't find a single bonfire, I had no clue where to go, everything is dark, I killed a giant rat, 90% of enemies are all incredibly weak and only make the area take longer, and then I died with no idea where I was and lost 2 humanity. This isn't frustrating because it's challenging like any other part of the game, it's just completely horrible design in every aspect. The enemies are lame and uninteresting, the visual design is nonexistent, and it's a maze.

This area is so unbelievably terrible I'm not sure why I should even keep playing. It's that atrocious. And this isn't the PC version thread, but since the entire area is covered in water, performance is poor as well.
How did you enter the sewer? Do you have the Master Key? I take it you haven't fond the Lair of the Basilisks...

I got the key from Capra Demon. GFWL wasn't working, so I had to go through Depths with no warnings or bonfire.

And then I nearly got killed by Gaping Dragon because I forgot to repair my sword and it turned the last 2 hits into about 6 hits.

And only now can I use the halberd without needing to take off armor. I should have used a spear for Depths, but I didn't want to risk dying trying to level it up while 12k souls sat in Gaping Dragon's chamber from the first fight.

I also got the Dragon King Greataxe, but won't be using it for a long time if ever.

I got the key from Capra Demon. GFWL wasn't working, so I had to go through Depths with no warnings or bonfire.

And then I nearly got killed by Gaping Dragon because I forgot to repair my sword and it turned the last 2 hits into about 6 hits.

And only now can I use the halberd without needing to take off armor. I should have used a spear for Depths, but I didn't want to risk dying trying to level it up while 12k souls sat in Gaping Dragon's chamber from the first fight.

I also got the Dragon King Greataxe, but won't be using it for a long time if ever.
Did you fall down the hole in the kitchen into the sewers? Did you find the captive pyromancer in the kitchen's larder?

More direct information below:
If you found the Gaping Dragon, there is a door nearby that leads to a long staircase up to the top of the depths where there is a bonfire behind a locked door. The door is in a hall with like 10 slimes on the ceiling. This passage is accessible from the kitchen area, lower level, same level as the larder with a captive pyromancer (rescue him and he becomes a trainer at Firelink Shrine). From that bonfire, it's a straight shot down the stair back to Gaping Dragon.

I rescued that guy. But wouldn't know about that bonfire because messages were off. And I already killed Gaping Dragon.

And I used the kitchen shortcut only after spending half an hour wandering the sewer.

I rescued that guy. But wouldn't know about that bonfire because messages were off. And I already killed Gaping Dragon.

And I used the kitchen shortcut only after spending half an hour wandering the sewer.
The bonfire is behind a locked door, and is the first door you see if you entered through the larder where the pyromancer was imprisoned. The stairway shortcut only opens from the bottom, though.

My first time playing, I fell in the hole in the kitchen, carefully inched my way through the sewer, never found the bonfire, and killed the Gaping Dragon (with the help of Solaire and Lautrec). Only afterword did I find the shortcut back up. It was tense, but I loved it!

If the Depths made you frustrated and nearly quit, I shudder to think what the next area will do for you!

Akainu

So I start a new game for the hell of it and I am already being attacked with lightning weapons and just soul level 8? The hell?

The bonfire is behind a locked door, and is the first door you see if you entered through the larder where the pyromancer was imprisoned. The stairway shortcut only opens from the bottom, though.

My first time playing, I fell in the hole in the kitchen, carefully inched my way through the sewer, never found the bonfire, and killed the Gaping Dragon (with the help of Solaire and Lautrec). Only afterword did I find the shortcut back up. It was tense, but I loved it!

If the Depths made you frustrated and nearly quit, I shudder to think what the next area will do for you!

I already said the Depths aren't frustrating because they're challenging, because they're not. It's because they're a poorly-designed maze of weak enemies whose only bonfire is hidden.

I already said the Depths aren't frustrating because they're challenging, because they're not. It's because they're a poorly-designed maze of weak enemies whose only bonfire is hidden.
Regardless of the source of frustration... the next area is infamous among Dark Souls players. :D

What's 'poorly-designed' about the Depths? If you think a locked door means hidden... well, you're in for it later. :D

vidcons

Banned
it's weird how you two are nitpicking level design when it seems that the entire game is just terrible because they don't know how to do common things like write decent netcode or port a game to pc or jesus fuck how is this a success

Sajjaja

it's weird how you two are nitpicking level design when it seems that the entire game is just terrible because they don't know how to do common things like write decent netcode or port a game to pc or jesus fuck how is this a success

Because there is no other game like it. The bosses are awesome, the character designs are great, the storyline being told in a super vague manner is really cool, the itmes are diverse making character customization diverse. The different possibilities to do different things in different ways is amazing. I think the level design is pretty damn good. Sure it has it's flaws, but it's pros MORE than outweigh its cons. At least on the consoles.

Is the Blade of the Darkmoon covenant active? I joined for the hell of it on my new playthrough and it's always "Failed to Invade". Even equipping the ring isn't doing anything.

Currently Level 46. Been trying in the Burg, Depths, Sen's Fortress, and Anor Londo. No luck :(

The bonfire isn't hidden it's behind a door, one that you walk past - if you tried the door you get the 'it's locked' prompt. The key is easily found, you can pick it up from either side of the bars.

Thinking back to my first time in the Depths, I think it was a bit maze-like, but a couple of return trips and you will remember what leads where, it's actually one of the quickest areas to breeze through if you just want to get from entrance to boss. Lots of shortcuts and alt. routes, it's a fun area.

Soulhouf

Is the Blade of the Darkmoon covenant active? I joined for the hell of it on my new playthrough and it's always "Failed to Invade". Even equipping the ring isn't doing anything.

Currently Level 46. Been trying in the Burg, Depths, Sen's Fortress, and Anor Londo. No luck :(

Burg (the 1st bonfire), Painted World, Kiln and Oolacile Township work pretty well for me.
PS3 version?

oracrest

I saw this today, and loved the attention to detail.... (I saw this picture, didn't notice it myself firsthand in the game.)

0x5wT.jpg

Bad netcode=bad game overall, yup.

We seem to be playing this game for very different reasons.

I saw this today, and loved the attention to detail.... (I saw this picture, didn't notice it myself firsthand in the game.)

0x5wT.jpg

I really need to learn to pick up details like this on my own so I can blow my mind by myself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom