• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

ijed

the netcode is pretty atrocious, dude

if anyone is in anor londo in the sl50 range, let me know. gotta get past these bosses

compared to what? All those other games where you can block and backstab in an open world...

Also you might want to post what version you're playing if you want help - am guessing PC so you might want to post in the PC thread not the console thread. I do have guys around sl50 on PC and PS3 but am in Aus where we have really bad netcode :(

SJRB

Gold Member
Should I kill
Lautrec
early for the stuff he drops or later for his armor set?

His ring is a great stat boost, his armor is average at best. I'd go for the ring.

But you'll cut yourself out of a quest if you do take him out early on.

Onemic

His ring is a great stat boost, his armor is average at best. I'd go for the ring.

Whats the quest for and would i get more from doing the quest than killing him early?

vidcons

Banned
compared to what? All those other games where you can block and backstab in an open world..
to every game with some online component, like demon's souls

anyways, got past the area, cleared the hydra out and am on my way to the duke's archives to fuck shit up

Onemic

FINALLY! I beat the capra demon!!! It was the boss that made me get fed up with the game and sell it when I had it for PS3. I had no idea you had to use the ledge and plunge attack him. Also didnt know going to the right side of the ledge meant he couldn't touch you.

Now everything from this point onward will be completely foreign to me. I think Im gonna be scared shitless :(

Defuser

Whats the quest for and would i get more from doing the quest than killing him early?

The quest involves leaving Lautrec alone until you ring the second bell which he will proceed to kill the bonfire keeper and left for Anor Londo. Once you have reach Anor Londo and near the boss fog, a black orb which you pick up near the bonfore keeper will resonate and from there you invade his world and kill him. Rewards are humanity,his ring, his armor which you can pick up near Gwynevere's chamber, Souvenir of Reprisal which is use as a offering for the Darkmoon blade convenant and the firekeeper soul which you can return back to her hence restoring the firelink shrine bonfire.

How does increasing stats work in the game? I'm still in the first couple areas of the game and after I got the Drake Sword, when I tried to increase my STR stat, it never showed a change in the weapon stats holding the Drake Sword.

the drake sword doesnt scale with your stats. if a weapon scales with your stats it will have a letter (E is weakest scaling, D, C, B, A, S are better) in the...stat scaling area. this pic shows it:

bwkjl.jpg

the order is str, dex, int, fai. so this weapon has C scaling with str and D with dex.

edit: this isnt my pic or advice or anything. i just googled for a pic of the weapon screen.

Started playing this again (on PS3), when I bought it at launch I had a particularly heavy run of work and by the time I came out of it, my roommate was way further than me and I was losing to the Taurus Demon (lol), so I gave it a rest.

On this playthrough, I just got down to the bottom of Blighttown Swamp. It's nice being able to do a few hours at a time, make some nice incremental forward progress, then take some time off and daydream about where I'm going to go next. I honestly think I was overintimidated by advertising and first impressions, previously. This game is all about clenching your teeth and applying yourself, and it's totally doable. (Although I did fuck up and ate a Fire Keeper soul. As long as I don't do anything that bad again I'm probably fine.)

We'll see if I can finish it by the time DS2 comes out ;)

Akainu

Ran into some players with dlc magic and the homing on that ghost attack is crazy. The first I roll pass no problem. Then another time I roll pass it comes back around. I roll again and it comes back around again.

Dresden

Ran into some players with dlc magic and the homing on that ghost attack is crazy. The first I roll pass no problem. Then another time I roll pass it comes back around. I roll again and it comes back around again.

Pursuers is some bullshit. Especially when you can't see it due to a glitch.

Dark Buckshot is the real dealbreaker though.

Akito

I fucking hate pursuers, even if you have the Silver Pendant, chances that you will get a Crystal Spear Arrow in the face if you try to use it is pretty high. At least that's my usual experience in the PVP arena.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I saw this today, and loved the attention to detail.... (I saw this picture, didn't notice it myself firsthand in the game.)

0x5wT.jpg
Wow... This makes the O&S elevators look super obvious.
Absolutely awesome all the same, like nothing is overlooked by the designers.

It does make me wonder how/why the Giant Blacksmith is chilling in his little alcove in Anor Londo, though. The staircase leading down to him certainly isn't giant-friendly... maybe that gate past the spear demons (that you open from the inside) was installed later, after he was "stationed"...

Razorskin

----- ------
I'm thinking of buying Demon's Souls as an entry into the series. Are the small online features still present? I posted here cause it's the most active thread.

Onemic

Should I attempt to level the Drake sword or should I find another weapon and level that? I just beat the Capra Demon after you ring the first bell.

Arjen

Man, i'm really blazing trough NG+ Already at O&S again.
Still loving it, but the magic defintly comes from not knowing what to expect around every corner and finally beating a segment for the first time.

Onemic

Man, i'm really blazing trough NG+ Already at O&S again.
Still loving it, but the magic defintly comes from not knowing what to expect around every corner and finally beating a segment for the first time.

If you're at BG+ wouldn't you already know where everything is?

Soulhouf

What you really gain if you don't kill him is the Dingy set which is IMO the best set in the entire game.

maomaoIYP

Pursuers is some bullshit. Especially when you can't see it due to a glitch.

Dark Buckshot is the real dealbreaker though.

You can simply outrun it if you have low encumbrance. If it's up close, you can roll in circles till it disappears. If you're fighting in the forest hide behind the trees.

Since the patch I have wore the Silver Pendant instead of Flasks at all times when a invader comes in so pursuers isn't a problem for me at all.

I'm thinking of buying Demon's Souls as an entry into the series. Are the small online features still present? I posted here cause it's the most active thread.
The servers are still up but not very active from my experience. Dark Souls is still very busy.

im getting conflicting opinions now. So his armor set is the best in the game, or are you talking about a different armor set?
+1 to leaving him and getting the Dingy set. I use it a lot, at least the top half.

The FAP ring is OK, the boosts are nice, but it limits your use of rings, it breaks if you take it off. So, say if you're using Havel's ring for heavier armour too, well you're pretty much stuck with those two as taking off Havel's will slow you down a lot. I prefer having at least one ring slot for switching around.

You still get that FAP ring later on when you complete Lautrec's story arc, and there is way of obtaining another one,
trading with the crow.

Onemic

The servers are still up but not very active from my experience. Dark Souls is still very busy.

+1 to leaving him and getting the Dingy set. I use it a lot, at least the top half.

The FAP ring is OK, the boosts are nice, but it limits your use of rings, it breaks if you take it off. So, say if you're using Havel's ring for heavier armour too, well you're pretty much stuck with those two as taking off Havel's will slow you down a lot. I prefer having at least one ring slot for switching around.

You still get that FAP ring later on when you complete Lautrec's story arc, and there is way of obtaining another one,
trading with the crow.

well he and that other knight both got vanquished after my battle with the gaping dragon. Are they both dead?

This kind of crap is completely unacceptable. Framerate is always important and should never drop below 30 for more than a couple seconds at a time. Every developer needs to understand this.

You know what area I'm talking about. It's a bit more tolerable when you know there's nothing you can feasibly do about it, but the area itself isn't even that bad. There's no reason for this kind of indulgence in torches.

well he and that other knight both got vanquished after my battle with the gaping dragon. Are they both dead?
No, the ones you summon are just their phantoms (like when you summon a human player, if they die in your world, their human form in their own game doesn't die). You can summon them more than once (like if they die in the boss fight, then you die, you can summon them again).

survivor

Banned
the drake sword doesnt scale with your stats. if a weapon scales with your stats it will have a letter (E is weakest scaling, D, C, B, A, S are better) in the...stat scaling area. this pic shows it:

http://i.imgur.com/bwkjl.jpg[IMG]

the order is str, dex, int, fai. so this weapon has C scaling with str and D with dex.

edit: this isnt my pic or advice or anything. i just googled for a pic of the weapon screen.[/QUOTE]
Ah I see, thanks.

Looking at my weapons the only 2 comparable to the Drake Sword in terms of power would be Zweihander and Greataxe, but they are really slow. Oh well, I guess I have to start using something and learn to upgrade my weapons.

Stencil

K so. Question here.

SL 30, total noob and scare easily, just defeated
Moonlight Butterfly
and then
Gaping Dragon
both with the help of my newfound understanding of summoning (which I feel cheap about but whatever) and I'm wondering where to go from here.

I really want to avoid Blighttown. I feel like it would give me ulcers, given what I've heard and seen in vids etc about Blighttown. What is the typical sequence that people go through? Is Darkroot Basin a place that leads to other places? Cemetery/Catacombs? Not New Londo... Right?

Any recommendations/pointers? Please not Blighttown... Not yet... :'( have mercy...

Stencil

What's so bad about blight town? I'm actually supposed to go there next.

It's just... Scary. Toxicity, dark, grimy... Plus the framerate dips are what I hear the most horror stories about.

What level do people go through Blighttown typically at? I know it's all about skill blah blah. But seriously, I know it's pathetic, but I would like to spend the least amount of time there possible. I want to breeze through it.

Or avoid it completely for as long as possible.

What's so bad about blight town? I'm actually supposed to go there next.

From doesn't know how to optimize particle effects, and Blighttown is basically a bunch of torches with a disgusting mud filter thrown on everything. I had 15fps more often than not. It wasn't even that hard for me, since I brought the right types of moss and the enemies are really predictable. It's that the developers completely disregarded playability, as if nobody tested the area to tell them "Hey, this runs like an N64 game."

Any recommendations/pointers? Please not Blighttown... Not yet... :'( have mercy...
You can't avoid Blighttown, it's part of the main story to defeat the boss there which allows you to continue further in the game.

You can cut out the worst part of it by entering the back way if you have the masterkey, but then you cheat yourself out of almost an entire area of the game and some great items you can find in there.

It really isn't that bad. You've done the Moonlight Butterfly so you should have some purple moss from the tree enemies in the garden for the poison and probably one or two blooming moss for the toxic, if not you can buy it. The enemies that toxic you don't respawn and usually drop the item that cures toxic any way. Poison isn't really a problem it's so slow many people don't bother curing it and just use Estus. The swamp area at the bottom is a cakewalk, bonfire->boss. There are also some good items to collect down there, some nice upgrade material grinding enemies too.

Yes the area has slowdown, it's not the end of the world.

What level do people go through Blighttown typically at? I know it's all about skill blah blah. But seriously, I know it's pathetic, but I would like to spend the least amount of time there possible. I want to breeze through it.
Typically between SL20-30.

Yeah, Blighttown seemed to be the most annoying thing in the world when I first entered it, but it's not that bad when you figure it out (and like RL said, the worst enemies don't respawn). It also has TONS of useful items and kinda cool parts here and there.

Blighttown is very memorable in its first time, mostly because it's nightmarish as fuck, but once you learn it it's not that bad outside of the framerate.

I beat the big boss of Darkroot before going to Blighttown, and even though it was a pain (especially the goddamn cats), that's the point I truly learned how to play, making the rest of the game seem easy in comparison. For a given value of "easy".

Soulhouf

Every time someone talks about the frame rate in Blighttown, I feel like an idiot.
I completed the game more than 25 times and I often go the long way through Blighttown and never had a problem.

-_-

Mileena

Banned
Every time someone talks about the frame rate in Blighttown, I feel like an idiot.
I completed the game more than 25 times and I often go the long way through Blighttown and never had a problem.

-_-

Some people don't notice it at first.

Though, after playing through Blighttown on PC anyone will notice it. The area is infinitely more playable and enjoyable. I really have no idea how I did some of those moving bridge things while my game was at 10-15fps on PS3.

-_-

I very rarely notice framerate drops, but I did on Blighttown, especially when trying to walk in one of those dangling bridgey-thingies.

Some people don't notice it at first.

Though, after playing through Blighttown on PC anyone will notice it. The area is infinitely more playable and enjoyable. I really have no idea how I did some of those moving bridge things while my game was at 10-15fps on PS3.

I DID play Blighttown on PC. If there was even one torch in my field of view, 15 fps. Probably because I have an E8400 instead of an i5, and the game literally has no optimization, so there's nothing I could do. Although I don't expect my laptop (an i5, but laptop i5 is 2 cores with 4 threads rather than a "true" quad core) to perform any better.

Mileena

Banned
I DID play Blighttown on PC. If there was even one torch in my field of view, 15 fps. Probably because I have an E8400 instead of an i5, and the game literally has no optimization, so there's nothing I could do. Although I don't expect my laptop (an i5, but laptop i5 is 2 cores with 4 threads rather than a "true" quad core) to perform any better.

I'm playing it on an i5 laptop I got for $630 a couple weeks ago and it runs at 40-60fps all the time (Durante edition obvs)

Sucks for you though, the game is so much better at a good framerate.

GlassBox

Banned
Need a quick answer to a question, so my apologies if this has been discussed to death already. I'm playing Demon Souls at the moment and of course, it was only made for the PS3. Dark Souls was made for PS3, X360 and PC, and I have all three platforms.

So naturally, I'm wondering which version has been deemed to be the best? I'd normally veer towards the PC since those can be the best versions (graphically anyway), but Dark Souls I'd imagine is about more than just graphics, and I wonder if controls are an issue since I'd only have KB+M. And of course, there's always stability issues when running PC games.

I suppose I should provide some of my PC specs to help. i7 2600K 3.5Ghz, 8GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 560Ti

Thanks.

Onemic

As a warrior what weapon should I get after the Drake sword? I have the gargoyle tail axe and the dragon king great axe, but that requires 50 strength. Where do you get the Uchigata? I'm mainly looking towards being able to cast basic healing and fire spells. I also have 40k worth of souls and Im not sure if I should use it to reinforce equipment or level up(currently weaing mostly black leather armor and a spider shield) I don't want to go to blighttown just to die and lose all my souls, so I've been kinda stationary.

ijed

I have all three platforms.

I'd only have KB+M.

Why can't you use your xbox or ps3 controller?

PC is the nicest with Durante's mod - ps3 has the best online community

As a warrior what weapon should I get after the Drake sword? I have the gargoyle tail axe and the dragon king great axe, but that requires 50 strength. Where do you get the Uchigata? I'm mainly looking towards being able to cast basic healing and fire spells. I also have 40k worth of souls and Im not sure if I should use it to reinforce equipment or level up(currently weaing mostly black leather armor and a spider shield) I don't want to go to blighttown just to die and lose all my souls, so I've been kinda stationary.

Sounds like you should do some of darkroot forest first if you haven't already - but you've got the right shield for Blighty.
If you had've got the gargoyle's halberd from them I'd say use that - or even the regular halberd you should have picked up in the parish.
Have you killed any Black Knights yet? The one in Undead Burg drops a great end-game capable weapon if you're lucky.
+ there's Claymore or Zweihander, or just buy a Bastard Sword from the blacksmith

dosh

Both axes are huge, impractical weapons for a first playthrough (and they're not that great even on following playthroughs). You'll have better results by upgrading standard weapons. Ijed mentionned the halberd that you probably found in Undead Parish: properly upgraded, it's a pretty good weapon, and its reach is really useful.

It actually depends on what stats you've increased. For a strentgh-oriented character, I'd go with the claymore: easy to pick up, and upgrading it to +5 gives decent results. That's the sword I'm using on my current playthrough and I'm tearing through the first levels, laughing.

If you've mostly increased dexterity, then go with the halberd or a lighter sword. You can also try farming the knights in the church for the Balder Side Sword: great moves set, good damages, awesome look. But it can take some time before any one of them drops it.

As for upgrading or leveling up, they usually go hand in hand, but I'd say upgrading your gear should take precedence.

GlassBox

Banned

Oh, well my 360 controller is wireless so that won't work. But I guess the PS3 controller might work, though I've never connected controllers to the PC before.

Onemic

Sounds like you should do some of darkroot forest first if you haven't already - but you've got the right shield for Blighty.
If you had've got the gargoyle's halberd from them I'd say use that - or even the regular halberd you should have picked up in the parish.
Have you killed any Black Knights yet? The one in Undead Burg drops a great end-game capable weapon if you're lucky.
+ there's Claymore or Zweihander, or just buy a Bastard Sword from the blacksmith

I'm done the first half of Dark Root(just opened up the gate to the Basin) I got the elite armor set, but Im crazy slow with it equipped and rolling feels extremely slow and clumsy. Is it just better to take it off and use the black leather? I also got an Uchigatana, which I leveled up to +6, making it better than the Drake sword with the scaling on DEX. How useful does it become later in the game, and should I ascend it to something other than normal?

I'm thinking Katanas and other swords are probably going to be my go to weapon. Should the Uchi be two handed or one? I always shy away from using two hands because you take damage when you block.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom