• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

ijed

I'm done the first half of Dark Root(just opened up the gate to the Basin) I got the elite armor set, but Im crazy slow with it equipped and rolling feels extremely slow and clumsy. Is it just better to take it off and use the black leather? I also got an Uchigatana, which I leveled up to +6, making it better than the Drake sword with the scaling on DEX. How useful does it become later in the game, and should I ascend it to something other than normal?

I'm thinking Katanas and other swords are probably going to be my go to weapon. Should the Uchi be two handed or one? I always shy away from using two hands because you take damage when you block.

I stick with light armours and use wolf ring for poise boost if I need it (have another look around where you found the elite knight set if you haven't got this ring yet)
Black leather set's fine to mix and match with other stuff once you've got your endurance up so take some pieces to +3 if you've got some titanite shards. Also spider shield's quite good so try and get that up to +5 or +10 if you can.

And usually the best way to fight enemies 1 on 1 is shield up and block the first hit or dodge then when they're staggered or doing their post-swing animation switch to 2-hand and slash away till they're dead. Katana's do great bleed build-up but you need about 3-quick hits to get the bleed to go off - means everything should die in 3 hits or less :)

what does poise do anyway? i have the wolf ring but i have no idea what it does

It's a stat that governs how easily you are staggered when hit. The higher the poise, the harder it is for hits to stagger you, either by interrupting your action or briefly paralyzing you.

survivor

Banned
Bah, just wasted a Large Titatnic Shard and now I can't get my Zweihander to +6 until I get more.

I'm done the first half of Dark Root(just opened up the gate to the Basin) I got the elite armor set, but Im crazy slow with it equipped and rolling feels extremely slow and clumsy. Is it just better to take it off and use the black leather? I also got an Uchigatana, which I leveled up to +6, making it better than the Drake sword with the scaling on DEX. How useful does it become later in the game, and should I ascend it to something other than normal?

I'm thinking Katanas and other swords are probably going to be my go to weapon. Should the Uchi be two handed or one? I always shy away from using two hands because you take damage when you block.
I have the same armour set and I'm using Havel's Ring to make my rolls faster. Although they still feel slower than when I'm wearing a light armour set.

Anor Londo archers. Screw this trial and error bullshit.

I passed this section on the second try in new game, by sheer luck it seems. Now I'm stuck in new game plus. I know exactly what I have to do. It's just that there's a high chance I'll make one wrong move and I'll be dashing from the fucking bonfire AGAIN.

This is not fun and I won't feel rewarded when I beat them. This is pure garbage and its making me regret paying for the DLC. Having to trek through Shittown again was bad enough.

I passed this section on the second try in new game, by sheer luck it seems. Now I'm stuck in new game plus. I know exactly what I have to do. It's just that there's a high chance I'll make one wrong move and I'll be dashing from the fucking bonfire AGAIN.

This is not fun and I won't feel rewarded when I beat them. This is pure garbage and its making me regret paying for the DLC. Having to trek through Shittown again was bad enough.

Just run straight up to the archer on the right, but stop before you get to the pillar he's next to, and roll into the wall when he shoots at you. When he pulls out his sword, parry him to kill him.

Sometimes the archer on the left might shoot at you, but it seems to be pretty rare.

Just run straight up to the archer on the right, but stop before you get to the pillar he's next to, and roll into the wall when he shoots at you. When he pulls out his sword, parry him to kill him.

Sometimes the archer on the left might shoot at you, but it seems to be pretty rare.

I know how to do it. But the archer on the left was shooting me in the ass EVERY time. The one time he didn't, it was easy.

Stupid, stupid game.
It still felt rewarding :mad:

Even if the archer on the left shoots at you, it's still not luck-based. It's a pain in the ass, but you could just be careful and keep rolling to avoid his arrows too.

Akainu

It's a bad section anyway you shake it.

Is the pvp lag as bad in the pc version? I'm guessing no.

Was it so bad in demon's?

Defuser

It turns out Oolacile is a great place to use the dragonbow. I placed an item after the first stairs near the first bloated resident and stand where the first bloated resident is, some guy invaded me,picked up my item which I proceed to shoot him off into the abyss.

Kwixotik

I just finished The Depths. Any suggestions on what to do now? I'm like SL 25 and still using a Drake Sword, so I need weapon recommendations too.

Gregorn

I just finished The Depths. Any suggestions on what to do now? I'm like SL 25 and still using a Drake Sword, so I need weapon recommendations too.

Go into Blightwown, the entrance is near where you fought the Gapping Dragon. You'll be using that sword for a while, don't worry about getting something new.

Sullichin

You should have gotten the large ember from the depths, which means you can take any normal weapon you find and upgrade it to +10. A +10 weapon will be stronger than the drake sword and weapons generally scale damage with your strength, dexterity or both (along the normal upgrade path), whereas the drake sword does not. There are lots of choices by that point in the game...

Claymore, on the bridge with the red dragon
Zweihander, in the graveyard
Halberd, in front of the entrance to the parish right by the locked gate
Gargoyle's Halberd, if one dropped in the boss fight
Long Sword
Balder Side Sword, dropped by the caped Balder knights in Undead burg/parish
Iaito, found early on in Blighttown
Winged Spear, in the graveyard
Reinforced club, sold by the undead merchant

SJRB

Gold Member

Poison arrows, good sir. Poison arrows and patience.

Got a Titanite Slab on my second New Londo run. No humanity, just Gold serpent ring. Those darkwraiths drain my humanity even at 00. It just does damage.

Claymore +15 before sl 60. Hits harder than my dex build unbuffed anyway. Really lucky with that slab drop. Now I need one for my Composite Bow +14.

I'm a bit scared to walk through the fog door with Oreo & Smough behind it. Is Quelaag's Furysword +5 good enough on NG+? Apparently, they're weak to fire.

Dresden

I lol'd.

BTjsK.jpg

It turns out Oolacile is a great place to use the dragonbow. I placed an item after the first stairs near the first bloated resident and stand where the first bloated resident is, some guy invaded me,picked up my item which I proceed to shoot him off into the abyss.
lol. Invaders, forever greedy! Hope it was a dungpie!

Booshka

Got a Titanite Slab on my second New Londo run. No humanity, just Gold serpent ring. Those darkwraiths drain my humanity even at 00. It just does damage.

Claymore +15 before sl 60. Hits harder than my dex build unbuffed anyway. Really lucky with that slab drop. Now I need one for my Composite Bow +14.

Composite Bow is ridiculous at +15 with 27/40 quality build. 439 damage with large arrows, you can make up for the shot range by using Feather Arrows, and the Hawk ring if necessary, the quicker firing time and extra damage makes it amazing.

I've been messing around with a regular old Battle Axe at +15 on a 27/40 character and it does really good damage, around 455 two handed. It has pretty shit range, but the 2H attacks can stun most enemies, and the stunlock is vicious. It only weighs 4.0 too, it's pretty dumb to use, but I'm just messing around with it, and getting pretty good with it in PvE, and when people invade me, they are surprised when they get stunlocked and blasted by strong attacks from a plain battle axe.

Also, I have a level 55 Character on PS3, so if anyone needs summon help lemme know. I have a ton of level 100 characters on PS3 and 360, so I can help around there too. And a 125 build on 360 that can blast through NG+ bosses like nothing.

So Sif was pathetically easy. Again. With a good shield he can't even damage you.

I looove the Lifehunt Scythe. Does really nice damage even at +2. And on the 4th hit, the bleed buildup took a huge chunk off Sif's health. Need more demon titanite.

Booshka

So Sif was pathetically easy. Again. With a good shield he can't even damage you.

I looove the Lifehunt Scythe. Does really nice damage even at +2. And on the 4th hit, the bleed buildup took a huge chunk off Sif's health. Need more demon titanite.

Drop down to the bottom of Sen's and have fun.

NBtoaster

Farming of Demon Titanite is one of the worst things ever, involving killing what is basically the toughest respawning enemy over and over and with a long walk..

I want the Royal Helm, so if I haven't given Vamos any embers this playthrough. Could I horde the ones I found and give it to him next playthrough or is it all gone?

Soulhouf

I want the Royal Helm, so if I haven't given Vamos any embers this playthrough. Could I horde the ones I found and give it to him next playthrough or is it all gone?

They are key items and all key items disappear when you beat the game. So basically you will have to pick them up again.

can anyone link me to a good starter pve stats build?
last time i started, i messed that up completely ;(

Not a link but first level up your Endurance/Vitality and Strength. After you have enought End/Vit to take hits you can start specializing in anything. Just don't put any points to Resistance, it's useless.

Hey, just bought the game from amazon.

Do I need Xbox gold to see all the neat stuff like bloodstains and messages and stuff? If so, that's a fucking bummer :(

BULL. SHIT

Xbox gold is one of the biggest pains in my ass this generation. I payed for it for 5 years, then stopped when I realized it was bloody pointless.

I really regret not getting a ps3 and building my library on that but, the prospects for the systems were so different back then. :/

well, whatever. Will I still have fun with this game as a newbie to the souls series?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
BULL. SHIT

Xbox gold is one of the biggest pains in my ass this generation. I payed for it for 5 years, then stopped when I realized it was bloody pointless.

I really regret not getting a ps3 and building my library on that but, the prospects for the systems were so different back then. :/

well, whatever. Will I still have fun with this game as a newbie to the souls series?

Absolutely! The unique online portion just makes it all that much better though.

Arjen

Had such a great night. I'm on NG+, tried O&S a couple of times alone, but that was just so hard. So i'm about to call it a night when i see a summon sign near the bonfire. What the hell, just one more try. I summon the brave lad, we make our way trough the chambers with silver knights when we are invaded. Ugh. Oh well, summon Solaire for shits and gigles and we manage to kill the invader. And then after a long and bloody battle with no estus left we win. So fucking amazing. O&S is really one of my favourite moments in gaming ever.

BULL. SHIT

I got live for a couple of months just for this game, absolutly worth it.

moop1167

Damn, I am on PC version and I have gotten every lord soul and I am SL 60 now. Getting summoned like crazy in Anor Londo for O&S. People really wait this long to kill them? I couldn't get anyone to summon me at SL 40. I just went with everyone's advice to not level too much but I guess I am doing it wrong lol.

I'm at SL 100, have done everything but the final boss fight.

I'm taking a break, don't want to go into NG+ necessarily.

I'd like to go and co-op to help people with bosses etc... (princess guard).

So where should I go? I'll probably level up as high as 114 (getting faith up to 50). Do I need to go into NG+ to help people fight NG+ bosses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom