• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found 2 Titanite Slabs in one run with 1 humanity and gold serpent. I had worst results with 10 humanity with gold serpent and wouldn't get anything but chunks or dark hand for hours.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
You don't need to summon solaire in every fight to save him do you? Just talk to him in the right areas?
No, you don't need to summon him for every fight.
But you do need to do something more than talk to him in the right areas...

Initial hint:
Join the Chaos Servants.

Onemic

How good is the Iaito vs the Uchigatana? And how are the Muramoso and the Server compared to them? When I get to the blacksmith in Sen's place I'll be able to upgrade my long sword into a greatsword of artoias, how good is that wrapon compared to the ones above that I already have?

As a str/dex warrior with 2 slots for pyromancy, is there any point in ascending any weapon to something other than normal?

How good is the Iaito vs the Uchigatana? And how are the Muramoso and the Server compared to them? When I get to the blacksmith in Sen's place I'll be able to upgrade my long sword into a greatsword of artoias, how good is that wrapon compared to the ones above that I already have?

As a str/dex warrior with 2 slots for pyromancy, is there any point in ascending any weapon to something other than normal?
At 40 dex for both weapons, Iaito+15 has 410 AR with a slash attack from its sheath vs the Uchigatana+15 has 420 AR with a forward thrust attack for one hand and an overhead chop for two hands with its R2. Other than that, their moveset are identical.

Since your both str/dex, I recommend the Claymore, Bastard sword, Zweihander, or Greatsword. Not sure on Murakumo or Server since I never used them. Go here and put in your stats with those weapons for their damage.
https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/

Dresden

Artorias is garbage, but there's a third version of that sword you can get in DLC content, which is built for str/dex builds. Problem is that it still has a faith/int requirement...

Murakumo is amazing, so I'd go for that. Server sucks. Iaito and Uchi are pure dex weapons, no point if you put a lot of points into str. +15 Murakumo = destruction. Get 28 str and 40 dex so you can one hand it.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Goddammit! That You Defeated bullshit just completely kills any joy out of defeating a boss.
Aww, lighten up a bit. "VICTORY ACHIEVED" is just as bad in an awkward "YOU WIN" kind of way.

It's been a while since I played Demon's, but didn't it have "YOU REGAINED"?
Gotta keep up the cheese and take your mind off the struggles you've just endured. If it was totally serious, there'd be no text whatsoever.

Dresden

THE DEMON WAS DESTROYED
You shall obtain the Demon Soul... and a
power that is beyond human imagination

It was 'YOU REVIVED,' I think, following the defeat text.

The invasion messages were the best though, Engrish and all.

Soulhouf

Aww, lighten up a bit. "VICTORY ACHIEVED" is just as bad in an awkward "YOU WIN" kind of way.

Gotta keep up the cheese and take your mind off the struggles you've just endured. If it was totally serious, there'd be no text whatsoever.

"The demon was destroyed" in Demon's.
I'm glad they brought back "You defeated" in Dark Souls. It's unique.

Goddammit! That You Defeated bullshit just completely kills any joy out of defeating a boss.

92-1-1348431955.png

Onemic

Artorias is garbage, but there's a third version of that sword you can get in DLC content, which is built for str/dex builds. Problem is that it still has a faith/int requirement...

Murakumo is amazing, so I'd go for that. Server sucks. Iaito and Uchi are pure dex weapons, no point if you put a lot of points into str. +15 Murakumo = destruction. Get 28 str and 40 dex so you can one hand it.

Is it the cursed version? That was the one I was planning to get. I generally use the Iaito/Uchigatana simply because the Murakumo feels so damn slow to me.(I also just love Katana's in general) Is there any way to make it swing faster?

Booshka

Is it the cursed version? That was the one I was planning to get. I generally use the Iaito/Uchigatana simply because the Murakumo feels so damn slow to me.(I also just love Katana's in general) Is there any way to make it swing faster?

Most heavy weapons swing slightly quicker when two handing, and if you are using a heavy weapon you should be two handing it most of the time anyway. Properly upgraded, you'll one shot most enemies, and stagger then kill the stronger ones in two or three hits. You just have to get used to the slower speed, but they have higher damage, and much higher chance to stagger and stunlock.

Found a great way to troll gankers in the DLC Township area as a Sunbro. If I get summoned into a ganksquad session I just rush to the boss and cheese it with arrows (Black Bow of Pharis, Feather Arrows, Hawk Ring) while the host and the other phantom gank. 5 minutes later, YOU DEFEATED pops up and I have successfully destroyed any chances for them to gank there. Pretty hilarious.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
1. I will not lighten up maaaaan. :p

2. Hardly.

Engrish isn't unique.
You're not unique.

"VICTORY ACHIEVED" sounds like the worst of the lot, because it's so pompous and heavy-handed. If the text bothers you so much, you could get the PC version and make your own texture. "YOU DEFEATED THE BOSS YOU WERE FIGHTING" or something. Perfect English.

Stencil

AGHFACK Bluhhhhh...

So I finally conquered my fears and went into Blighttown (not before rerolling another NG just to mess around) and I can't seem to get very far. I tried the baiting technique with the first fat guys (crawl up the ladder after baiting them and they seem to just fall off the ledge) and pushed forward a bit, killing the first blowdarter. But then I fell off, and upon my return keep getting slayed by the first three big guys.

I don't want to have to keep doing the bait trick since it seems to only work sometimes and is very slow, not to mention I feel as though I'll be facing a lot of the big fellas, so, any tips?

My +5 Uchigatana doesn't seem to do much against 'em, and my typical block/roll (even w/ Spider Shield) is ineffective due to the poison/falling. I'm SL ~35 with most points in Vit/End/Dex.

Dresden

Found a great way to troll gankers in the DLC Township area as a Sunbro. If I get summoned into a ganksquad session I just rush to the boss and cheese it with arrows (Black Bow of Pharis, Feather Arrows, Hawk Ring) while the host and the other phantom gank. 5 minutes later, YOU DEFEATED pops up and I have successfully destroyed any chances for them to gank there. Pretty hilarious.

Man, this is brilliant.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
This is great, but do make sure it's a real ganksquad session, and not just people taking a bit of a breather at the bonfire. I had a guy rush to the boss and cheese it "for me" recently, and while I'd already been through the area a bunch of times on other characters, I felt the guy was close to ruining someone's day...

Akainu

You're not unique.
No one is.
"VICTORY ACHIEVED" sounds like the worst of the lot, because it's so pompous and heavy-handed. If the text bothers you so much, you could get the PC version and make your own texture. "YOU DEFEATED THE BOSS YOU WERE FIGHTING" or something. Perfect English.
You just defeated a freaking demon! If anything it should be even more grandiose!

Vitten

AGHFACK Bluhhhhh...

So I finally conquered my fears and went into Blighttown (not before rerolling another NG just to mess around) and I can't seem to get very far. I tried the baiting technique with the first fat guys (crawl up the ladder after baiting them and they seem to just fall off the ledge) and pushed forward a bit, killing the first blowdarter. But then I fell off, and upon my return keep getting slayed by the first three big guys.

I don't want to have to keep doing the bait trick since it seems to only work sometimes and is very slow, not to mention I feel as though I'll be facing a lot of the big fellas, so, any tips?

My +5 Uchigatana doesn't seem to do much against 'em, and my typical block/roll (even w/ Spider Shield) is ineffective due to the poison/falling. I'm SL ~35 with most points in Vit/End/Dex.

You should have a +10 weapon and shield before going to Blighttown. You can find the large ember which you need to upgrade weapons past +5 in the Depths. location details: http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Large+Ember

Also this big fat guys are very easy to backstab. Just keep circle strafing till you are behind them and...stab.

Arjen

So last night i tried to beat
gwyndolin
Came really close a couple of times, but then got careless. So i thought, fuck it, i'm just going to cheese him with the Dragonbow. I make my way to the smith, to buy some arrows and go back. I was being carefull not to come to close, but i didn't do enough damage, so i was running out of arrows, in the end he had just a sliver of health left, but i had no arrows. Goddamn i fucked up.
I stood still for a minute, fuck, i had to make the run and damage him. It felt like an old Western duel. I ran to him like a mad man, got hit by a couple of magic thingies, so me just a sliver of heatlh, he just a sliver of health. Just before he teleports, i slice his ass good with my sword, Bam, I defeated, tears of joy.

Zaventem

Anyone around my sl 120(360) on Neogaf can help me transfer some items? I bb glitched all my slots before the patch came but now i wanna roll a new character and all those items going to waste would be a sin.You can keep 50 slabs of each type if you have the time to help.GT is BatmanIsDead Send me a friend invite/message if you spot me online.

Soulhouf

Anyone around my sl 120(360) on Neogaf can help me transfer some items? I bb glitched all my slots before the patch came but now i wanna roll a new character and all those items going to waste would be a sin.You can keep 50 slabs of each type if you have the time to help.GT is BatmanIsDead Send me a friend invite/message if you spot me online.

*speechless*

Jarsonot

My cousin doesn't have Internet and so is playing an unpatched game. He is currently farming the maneater shells for twinkling titanite. I was thinking that since it's unpatched he could maybe duplicate items with a glitch. (I know, I know, but fuck farming those things - he got 30 purging stones to 1 twinkling titanite!)

I looked it up and can find instructions on how to duplicate things IF you already have 99 of them!? How in the hell do some of these people have 99 slabs and such? And how in the hell did nobody else in all the message boards I visited think to ask this question? =)

So. Does he only need to get 99 of SOMETHING and then use that to dupe, or what?

Thanks in advance.

Booshka

I'll message you, I'd like to slab a bunch of weapons and some of my armor on a SL 110 Weapons master build I got.

Jarsonot

You should have a +10 weapon and shield before going to Blighttown. You can find the large ember which you need to upgrade weapons past +5 in the Depths. location details: http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Large+Ember

Also this big fat guys are very easy to backstab. Just keep circle strafing till you are behind them and...stab.

You can sprint and jump off the right edge, pretty close to where that first fat guy is. You land down below and just have to kill a few of the lizardy guys and climb a ladder. Boom - you skipped the big boys. I did it accidentally my first play through and have done it ever since. =)

Edit: quoted wrong post, this is in regards to an alternative to baiting the big guys just into blight town.

Jarsonot

Fuck Blighttown, I'm finally done with it. I died like 10 times just trying to get back to Firelink Shrine after beating the boss.

Blight town was the most satisfying area to return to for me. I didn't fully explore the swamp my first time there (hell no) and so ended up going back when I was much, much stronger and better equipped. It always feels good to dominate an area that once gave you trouble, but THAT felt really reeeeallly good. =)

If you haven't fully explored down there I'd recommend it sooner or (more easily) later. Some good stuff down there.

I've just seen the Caduceus Round Shield location for the first time ever. o_O

Can't believe I've never seen it before, honestly thought I knew every item location and miss one right at the start of the game practically.

Tadale

So I got this game on Saturday, and I've been cruising through it pretty briskly, really enjoying myself, until...

ORNSTEIN AND SMOUGH!

I've been throwing myself at the pair for at least three hours, and have managed to kill Ornstein and get Smough down to just a sliver at least twice. Very frustrating!

Still, I've been loving this game – it's probably one of my favorites of the generation.

Akito

It's an additinal area with new enemies, bosses, weapons, items etc. It is one the disc and is integrated into the game, yes.

It's an additinal area with new enemies, bosses, weapons, items etc. It is one the disc and is integrated into the game, yes.

Awesome, cheers. Is it just a locked door if you don't have PTD?

Did they ever plan on making the broken archstone from Demon's Souls usable as DLC?

Akito

The "door" would not even be there if you don't have the DLC/PTD edition ;)
Maybe there were plans for some DS DLCs but I'm not aware of any public announcement.

Awesome, cheers. Is it just a locked door if you don't have PTD?

Did they ever plan on making the broken archstone from Demon's Souls usable as DLC?

nothing really spoilery but just in case:
an item you find that isnt in the vanilla game opens a portal that leads to the DLC

the broken archstone seemed like the perfect opportunity for DLC to me, but as far as i know no one has ever said anything about it.

survivor

Banned
Blight town was the most satisfying area to return to for me. I didn't fully explore the swamp my first time there (hell no) and so ended up going back when I was much, much stronger and better equipped. It always feels good to dominate an area that once gave you trouble, but THAT felt really reeeeallly good. =)

If you haven't fully explored down there I'd recommend it sooner or (more easily) later. Some good stuff down there.

I spent a lot of time down in the swamps although I still ended up missing the secret areas. I will go back there whenever I manage to beat Ornstein and Smough which is probably never looking at my progress.

SJRB

Gold Member
I had no idea you could get invaded while you were resting at a bonfire.

Just now I sat down at the Anor Londo bonfire and alt-tabbed out of the game to check something when suddenly my controller started vibrating. When I alt-tabbed back to the game I caught the last glimpse of some motherfucker with a Mask of the Child stabbing me in the back - YOU DIED. This is bullshit, honestly. I always assumed the bonfire was a safe place.

I needed that humanity to summon someone to help me with Ornstein & Smough, godDAMNIT.

FUCKCFJGJHGJKG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom