• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Booshka

I had no idea you could get invaded while you were resting at a bonfire.

Just now I sat down at the Anor Londo bonfire and alt-tabbed out of the game to check something when suddenly my controller started vibrating. When I alt-tabbed back to the game I caught the last glimpse of some motherfucker with a Mask of the Child stabbing me in the back - YOU DIED. This is bullshit, honestly. I always assumed the bonfire was a safe place.

I needed that humanity to summon someone to help me with Ornstein & Smough, godDAMNIT.

FUCKCFJGJHGJKG

I'm even worse, I like to Dark hand AFK players, steal all the humanity in their counter, then kill them. If I get a rage message and the guy is near my level range, I'll always help them out though, and usually drop some humanity for them.

Conversely, you can put your summon sign down for someone else, you don't have to be human form to put down a white soapstone. Help the other player out, kill the boss, get some souls and humanity and then try tackling it yourself.

I always assumed the bonfire was a safe place.

FUCKCFJGJHGJKG

never ever go afk while human in an area you havent killed the boss. go to title screen if you must.

also, some people go afk with their forest/darkmoon ring on and spawn into my damn world and just stand there taking away a good summon spot for pvp.

i like to cast acid breath and break their equips and then use dark hand to suck their humanity to teach them a lesson.

So I got this game on Saturday, and I've been cruising through it pretty briskly, really enjoying myself, until...

ORNSTEIN AND SMOUGH!

I've been throwing myself at the pair for at least three hours, and have managed to kill Ornstein and get Smough down to just a sliver at least twice. Very frustrating!

Still, I've been loving this game – it's probably one of my favorites of the generation.

I spent a lot of time down in the swamps although I still ended up missing the secret areas. I will go back there whenever I manage to beat Ornstein and Smough which is probably never looking at my progress.

honestly O&S is one of, if not the absolute most satisfying fight in either souls game. they are tough, its a great battle, and you feel so good when you beat it. to be honest i think if you have gotten the fight to just smough a couple of times you should be able to beat it. the hardest part for me is always killing the first guy when they are both alive. my only real advice (not that either of you asked for it) is to use the pillars and be patient.

Booshka

honestly O&S is one of, if not the absolute most satisfying fight in either souls game. they are tough, its a great battle, and you feel so good when you beat it. to be honest i think if you have gotten the fight to just smough a couple of times you should be able to beat it. the hardest part for me is always killing the first guy when they are both alive. my only real advice (not that either of you asked for it) is to use the pillars and be patient.

What an unbelievably applicable post for what I just did. I've been doing one of EpicNameBro's challenges; pick a class and only use the starting gear and don't level. No Lightning/Fire/Chaos Weapon upgrades, Normal, Magic and Divine are ok. You have to Solo all areas and Bosses as well. I chose a Bandit (Level 4), because I'm digging the Battle Axe right now, and it has a Spider Shield and good starting stats.

Breezing through the first 1/3 of the game with marginally upgraded gear, but I knew S&O would be the first real test. I have most of my gear almost fully upgraded Normal, +15 Shield and Battle Axe, and armor is all at +9 and one at +10, got real lucky with slab drops. So my gear is excellent, but I have no stat scaling so the damage isn't amazing.

I bought a bunch of green blossom and black firebombs (which I have been using a lot on this run). Firebombs can be manually thrown very far, and I used this technique to great effect against the Winged Demons in Anor Londo, who are a pain in the ass up close. Got past the archers and the inside of Anor Londo real easy. Decided to rush past the indoor Giants to the boss door then tackle S&O.

For the Boss fight I chose to take out Ornstein first, I have no problem with Super Ornstein normally, but I think it is much easier to focus on attacking Ornstein while Smough is around when soloing the boss, opposed to vice versa. With Ornstein, he is the most aggressive and mobile anyway, so it is easier to control Smough's movement with the pillars, and avoiding him isn't too hard.

Finding the right time to attack Ornstein while Smough is stalking around is the challenge. The Battle Axe is strong and can stagger with 2 hits when two handed, but it's pretty slow and has very short range, so it's best to hit and run/roll for the first half of the fight. I also threw about 10 Black Firebombs to get another 500 or so extra damage, which pays dividends overall.

I had one almost disastrous moment where I got jammed in a corner, I foolishly attacked Ornstein, he went to swing back so I blocked, but then Smough came in with his rushing attack where he drags the hammer then flips it up. Oh shit; I didn't have enough stamina to block it, so I took all the damage and got launched in the air. I was freaking out on the wakeup, I have S&O waiting to fuck me up and I'm stuck in a corner one hit from death. While I was on the floor I decided to spam roll to my right, I barely missed another attack from Smough, and Ornstein came lunging at me, only to be stopped by a pillar. Amazingly lucky.

I wait about a minute with low health, because I want to make sure I get a safe heal off, so I keep putting distance and pillars between me and S&O. Wait until they both whiff attacks then heal up. Chomp on a green moss and get back into the fight. I keep whittling down Ornstein with single hits after he misses a lunge attack and only when Smough is out of the picture. Get one two hit combo that staggers Ornstein, but I don't get greedy and go for the third because Smough is there to smash me into the ground if I do. Decide to duck a few more hits and finish it off with a black firebomb.

The first half of the fight was definitely the hardest, it took ten minutes to get to the Super Smough section, which was much easier and more manageable. I just stay close and bait his most punishable attacks, which are his 360 swings and straight overhead slams. You can roll toward him to avoid the former, and roll right to avoid the latter, then get in two or three good hits, before he recovers. I had a couple close calls with his butt slam move, but was able to block most of the damage when I wasn't able to outright roll away. Got a couple good stagger chains in, and was able to interrupt his butt slam. I decided to finish Super Smough off with a black firebomb as well, to be completely safe. After about 15 minutes of fighting, I finally beat it. I was elated.

Onto the Lord soul and DLC bosses...

Pachimari

I really want to understand this game, what is it that to many people make it great?

Will I like it if I'm not much for looting, challenges and upgrading/RPGs?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I really want to understand this game, what is it that to many people make it great?

Will I like it if I'm not much for looting, challenges and upgrading/RPGs?

It's an ARPG with a trial-and-error-type gameplay system. Basically if you die, you redo a level. You test things that work/don't work and go back into the level with this knowledge.

If you don't want "challenge" and don't want to "upgrade"/test weapons and see which you like, don't get it. Because you aren't going to like the fact you're going to die and have to restart levels and/or upgrade weapons at a later date to get better weapons.

However, the upgrade system is NO WHERE near as bad as Vagrant Stories since the uprade system makes SENSE. So...

SJRB

Gold Member
Fucking O&S. I hate Anor Londo. I just ragequit for the first time in ages, haha.

Is there any way to play offline with the GFWL version so I can at least summon Solaire? It says it won't save progress if I'm offline, this is crazy.

RyuHayate

I'm ten hours in and I'm not sure how much progress I'm making (level 20 and have yet to ring one of the two bells), but I don't care. I'm enjoying myself immensely all the while and the atmosphere in this game is simply unbelievable. It might sound weird, but the environments feel like they're real places after a while, you know?

Anyway, I
freed and killed the golden knight
because there were player messages stating things like "Imminent stab in the back" or something to that effect. I didn't want to walk about and suddenly get fucked over. Was that the right call or am I going to miss out on something now?

I'm ten hours in and I'm not sure how much progress I'm making (level 20 and have yet to ring one of the two bells), but I don't care. I'm enjoying myself immensely all the while and the atmosphere in this game is simply unbelievable. It might sound weird, but the environments feel like they're real places after a while, you know?

Anyway, I
freed and killed the golden knight
because there were player messages stating things like "Imminent stab in the back" or something to that effect. I didn't want to walk about and suddenly get fucked over. Was that the right call or am I going to miss out on something now?

its your first time so this will be a good experience in "don't trust everyone in this game". but dont worry, you wont miss anything. if anything, it opens up a neat little side quest. and by neat, i mean straight out of left field. and by straight out of left field, i mean you will rage. and by rage, i mean you will elated to push someone's shit in.

can't say more than that :)

So guys i need your help. Im LVL 20-30 (i think) right now. Only have Drake Sword,Grass Crest Shield and the Stone Armor equipped (went with the Knight class). I killed Quelaag the last time and went a bit into the Catacombs. Now i dont know what to do next. Should i level a bit or try killing Sif(god i hate him and i cant kill him alone with my current stats/equipment) or try killing the Pinwheel?

Arjen

So guys i need your help. Im LVL 20-30 (i think) right now. Only have Drake Sword,Grass Crest Shield and the Stone Armor equipped (went with the Knight class). I killed Quelaag the last time and went a bit into the Catacombs. Now i dont know what to do next. Should i level a bit or try killing Sif(god i hate him and i cant kill him alone with my current stats/equipment) or try killing the Pinwheel?

Did you do the gargoyles? If yes, you should have seen a new place opening up.

survivor

Banned

I managed to beat them yesterday after so many tries. My biggest problem was that I was using Havel's Armor set along with Zweihander +10. Sure I was able to take down Ornstein in 4-5 hits, but most of the times I ended up being too slow and I kept getting slammed by Smough's hammer. So after few futile attempts I switched to Silver Knight set and was able to do much better.

Anyway, fuck the Catacombs. I have no clue where to go, I keep falling down the traps and these stupid skeletons refuse to die. I somehow managed to reach Pinwheel and beat him, but I was completly out of health and Tomb of Giants was somehow an even darker area. Died to the first enemy.

RyuHayate

its your first time so this will be a good experience in "don't trust everyone in this game". but dont worry, you wont miss anything. if anything, it opens up a neat little side quest. and by neat, i mean straight out of left field. and by straight out of left field, i mean you will rage. and by rage, i mean you will elated to push someone's shit in.

can't say more than that :)

Haha, good thing I killed him, then. As soon as he belted out that mischievous laugh I was like, "Alright, this guy's getting it." It took five tries, but I found an easy way to beat him. I lured him out all the way to the bonfire in that area (near the blacksmith) and as he slowly backed away (I guess the enemy A.I. is programmed to avoid certain safe zones?), I plunged my halberd into him during that brief period where's completely vulnerable. I did that repeatedly until I defeated him. I couldn't believe I was able to pull it off like that!

But thanks for the info, though. Next playthrough I'll take the free and let live approach just to see what happens.

schwupp

yay made some progress today :)
played from the gargoyles till the beginning of blighttown.

at my first try to play this game on console i didnt got the whole humanity/summon-other-people-which-are-very-helpful thing. after some failed summons, it worked pretty well (pc).

SJRB

Gold Member
Haha, good thing I killed him, then. As soon as he belted out that mischievous laugh I was like, "Alright, this guy's getting it." It took five tries, but I found an easy way to beat him. I lured him out all the way to the bonfire in that area (near the blacksmith) and as he slowly backed away (I guess the enemy A.I. is programmed to avoid certain safe zones?), I plunged my halberd into him during that brief period where's completely vulnerable. I did that repeatedly until I defeated him. I couldn't believe I was able to pull it off like that!

But thanks for the info, though. Next playthrough I'll take the free and let live approach just to see what happens.

His loot will be a great aid to you for the greater part of your adventure. Be wary though - it will get destroyed when you unequip it.

Dresden

I managed to beat them yesterday after so many tries. My biggest problem was that I was using Havel's Armor set along with Zweihander +10. Sure I was able to take down Ornstein in 4-5 hits, but most of the times I ended up being too slow and I kept getting slammed by Smough's hammer. So after few futile attempts I switched to Silver Knight set and was able to do much better.

Anyway, fuck the Catacombs. I have no clue where to go, I keep falling down the traps and these stupid skeletons refuse to die. I somehow managed to reach Pinwheel and beat him, but I was completly out of health and Tomb of Giants was somehow an even darker area. Died to the first enemy.

Gotta use the skull lantern, or cast a light spell, or get a sunlight maggot.

survivor

Banned
Gotta use the skull lantern, or cast a light spell, or get a sunlight maggot.

I don't think I can use any spells and I don't have the last item, but I remember picking up Skull Lantern while I was there. I thought it was some junk item, didn't think it will be useful.

Making my way through Blighttown for the first time. Not really having too much trouble but I'm SL42 so maybe I'm high?

Anyway I got down to the bottom finally, and now it's just poisoned water and poison bugs. Everywhere. What to do? I was just running around seeing what's there, but got killed by a lot of slugs. Can I get some general tips on what to do next?

Making my way through Blighttown for the first time. Not really having too much trouble but I'm SL42 so maybe I'm high?

Anyway I got down to the bottom finally, and now it's just poisoned water and poison bugs. Everywhere. What to do? I was just running around seeing what's there, but got killed by a lot of slugs. Can I get some general tips on what to do next?

Find the bonfire at the bottom. The place you are supposed to go is pretty much across to the other side. There are also tons of items down there worth collecting.

Booshka

Where you need to go is on the opposite side of where the slugs are, look for some giants holding boulders and with a whitish mound behind them.

Dresden

I don't think I can use any spells and I don't have the last item, but I remember picking up Skull Lantern while I was there. I thought it was some junk item, didn't think it will be useful.

You used to acquire it in the middle of Tombs, so it was more obvious as to what it was for. Of course that meant the first half was done in absolute darkness... lol.

Booshka

You used to acquire it in the middle of Tombs, so it was more obvious as to what it was for. Of course that meant the first half was done in absolute darkness... lol.

Yea From made TotG way easier with a Skull Lantern drop in Catacombs, and placing the Skelly dogs just a little out of the way of main path as well. Used to be much harder, I always get the Sunlight maggot first regardless out of habit.

sixghost

Yea From made TotG way easier with a Skull Lantern drop in Catacombs, and placing the Skelly dogs just a little out of the way of main path as well. Used to be much harder, I always get the Sunlight maggot first regardless out of habit.

That's closer to how it should have been to be honest. Even for this game letting the player wind up in TotG without any sort of light source was cruel. At the very least they should have given the player a fast travel back to Firelink in case they didn't have any of the 3 light sources. Keeping it at the original difficulty but with a 100% lantern drop on Pinwheel would have been perfect.

Dresden

Dunno, I remember that first experience of stepping into Tombs--utter darkness, guided by the occasional glowing stone on the path, slowly creeping forward with a shield up--really fondly.

Key word being 'remember,' lol.

Booshka

That's closer to how it should have been to be honest. Even for this game letting the player wind up in TotG without any sort of light source was cruel. At the very least they should have given the player a fast travel back to Firelink in case they didn't have any of the 3 light sources. Keeping it at the original difficulty but with a 100% lantern drop on Pinwheel would have been perfect.

Not really, there are prism stones to guide you the obvious way down, and then a bonfire and an NPC to lead you to the skull lantern. The first part of TotG in darkness isn't terribly hard, just have to be patient and really pay attention to what you are doing, which if you've made to TotG in the first place, you should be pretty used to doing.

If you made it there by accident, then you can probably homeward bone back to a catacombs bonfire, or just die and let go of your bloodstain. Also, I think the Darksign is the ultimate bailout if you need it.

SJRB

Gold Member
O my god I beat O&S, sweet jesus I finally did it. I totally cheesecaked the fuck out of super Smough, but who cares. First half of the battle was significantly harder than the second.

Anyway, now what? Sif, I suppose. Or Seath. I should look into a devine weapon as well.

vic2020

Neo Member
There is really a way to light up the tomb of the giants? I found that skull lantern but equiping it didn't work. That place was miserable

Right now I'm stuck trying to even get to the boss in NewLondo since I dunno how to drop down that hole without dying. I don't even know if I'm jumping from the wrong spot or if there some item or invisible wall I missed. The game hasn't given any hints as to what the hell to do

Arjen

There is really a way to light up the tomb of the giants? I found that skull lantern but equiping it didn't work. That place was miserable

Right now I'm stuck trying to even get to the boss in NewLondo since I dunno how to drop down that hole without dying. I don't even know if I'm jumping from the wrong spot or if there some item or invisible wall I missed. The game hasn't given any hints as to what the hell to do

Yeah, you need an item. Won't spoil it for you unless you want to.

Booshka

ahhh Alright, I don't want to wander around for an item I missed.

Is it from a boss or random loot?

Talk to NPC's more often and pay attention to what they say, you'll be amazed how much of the game is explained if you are diligent in conversing with NPC's. The NPC that gave you the Key to the Seal will give you more info on what you need to survive that drop.

survivor

Banned
Managed to beat Tomb of the Giants. The Skull Lantern helped a lot. Only problem I had was against those giant skeletons that walk on all fours since they were able to take me down with one hit and I couldn't block them due to holding the lantern.

The boss fight was alright except he was able to toxic me with one hit. So I had to fight him the entire time poisoned cause I didn't have that herb that heals toxic.

Dresden

Yo just hold up the lantern like a shield.

Seanspeed

Banned
Bought this game today and played for about an hour and a half so far.

I think I'm in over my head. I kind of lucked my way through the 1st boss(was getting my ass beat but just rushed and circled the guy in desperation and it worked one time), and now that I'm onto the next section(guess that 1st part was just a sort of tutorial area), I'm just getting fucked. Went up from the campsite and to the left and the skeleton guys are just whooping me badly. Died about 10x trying to beat that pair that arise in the graveyard. I started getting a better feel for the combat and having to back away and restore my stamina and finally defeated them. Was great. I saw an orb thing and went near it and two more skeletons popped up! Ugh. Died pretty quickly again and got sent back to camp. Wouldn't be so bad except that I have to fight the original two skeletons again......<cries>

Are these guys supposed to be that hard? Am I just underleveled or something? Or do I need to just get better and realize the rest of the game will be similar? Constantly dying wouldn't be so bad if it didn't mean having to fight through everybody that I beat already.

I was hesitant on getting this game cuz I'm not patient with having to redo things over and over and I dont like overly difficult games. But everyone talking about how its fair and how the exploration and atmosphere are top-notch convinced me it was worth trying. And to be fair - the atmosphere is great so far. Extremely dark and desperate, I like that. Not sure about the controls, though. They feel a bit clunky and unresponsive.

I'll keep trying, I just think that I might have dived in on this when I should have trusted my instincts that its going to be too punishing a game for me. I mean, I beat Ninja Gaiden Black on Normal and that was fairly difficult as it is. I couldn't beat it on Hard. This seems to be on a different level from that. We'll see. Hopefully I start to sharpen up and get a better feel for the combat.

Sullichin

I think I'm in over my head. I kind of lucked my way through the 1st boss(was getting my ass beat but just rushed and circled the guy in desperation and it worked one time), and now that I'm onto the next section(guess that 1st part was just a sort of tutorial area), I'm just getting fucked. Went up from the campsite and to the left and the skeleton guys are just whooping me badly. Died about 10x trying to beat that pair that arise in the graveyard. I started getting a better feel for the combat and having to back away and restore my stamina and finally defeated them. Was great. I saw an orb thing and went near it and two more skeletons popped up! Ugh. Died pretty quickly again and got sent back to camp. Wouldn't be so bad except that I have to fight the original two skeletons again......<cries>

Are these guys supposed to be that hard? Am I just underleveled or something? Or do I need to just get better and realize the rest of the game will be similar? Constantly dying wouldn't be so bad if it didn't mean having to fight through everybody that I beat already.

I was hesitant on getting this game cuz I'm not patient with having to redo things over and over and I dont like overly difficult games. But everyone talking about how its fair and how the exploration and atmosphere are top-notch convinced me it was worth trying. And to be fair - the atmosphere is great so far. Extremely dark and desperate, I like that. Not sure about the controls, though. They feel a bit clunky and unresponsive.

I'll keep trying, I just think that I might have dived in on this when I should have trusted my instincts that its going to be too punishing a game for me. I mean, I beat Ninja Gaiden Black on Normal and that was fairly difficult as it is. I couldn't beat it on Hard. This seems to be on a different level from that. We'll see. Hopefully I start to sharpen up and get a better feel for the combat.

You shouldn't and don't have to go that way now. Explore different paths and you'll find one with really easy to beat enemies. Go that way.

Dresden

Combat difficulty is nowhere near NGB, so I wouldn't be worried. You're just going in the wrong direction.

Hint: you need to go up the staircase.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
is the increase the Leo Ring gives you worth it? It's not easy to successfully pull off a counter.

Dina

Hey people, new player here. Good game, but the save points are frustrating sometimes. Dying over and over to the Taurus Demon wouldn't be so bad if it had a bonfire in front of the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom