• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey people, new player here. Good game, but the save points are frustrating sometimes. Dying over and over to the Taurus Demon wouldn't be so bad if it had a bonfire in front of the door.

Just run past the soldiers to the fog gate. You can get there in like 15 seconds and you learn the valuable skill of maneuvering.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I'm liking the halberd, good atk and very versatile moveset. Only con is that every move leave you open if you miss.

I'm liking the halberd, good atk and very versatile moveset. Only con is that every move leave you open if you miss.

if you miss and hit an object you can recover faster.

i'm not saying you should intentionally hit walls since it wears equips down faster but....in a tight spot it works.

in fact, once in a blue moon i have a big weapon in a confined space and im about to be raped by even a simple mob,spamming R1 causes my weapons to just ricochet hella faster than normal swings and hits the enemy

*note that ricoched attacks off walls do only a fraction of their damage, about 1/3. but the speed of ricoched attacks is sometimes faster (up to 3-4x faster) that you make up the difference.

Halberd is great, that two-handed R2 double spin works great on crowds. I prefer the Lucerne which is almost identical, not sure why I just like the look of it and always pick it up early from the Catacombs. Think it has pretty much the same stats and moveset. Gargoyles Halberd you see used a lot too.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
the combat in this game is so awesome when you don't turtle (shield up everytime) every fight.

I mostly use the shield as a sort of last resort. fights in narrow passageways mainly.

edit: Well I should say in these games, I played the same way in Demons Souls.

krakov

Halberd is great, that two-handed R2 double spin works great on crowds. I prefer the Lucerne which is almost identical, not sure why I just like the look of it and always pick it up early from the Catacombs. Think it has pretty much the same stats and moveset. Gargoyles Halberd you see used a lot too.

gargoyles halberd is common since it has really good base dmg. Met a "friend" in dark souls that had one maxed out gargoyles halberd in every upgrade path.

Been banned but wanting to ask the Darkgaf bros for help/tips.

I started to fight Sif, died, but then read elsewhere on gaf that doing the dlc first before fighting Sif is more emotional? That true? If I already triggered the battle, did I ruin that already or will my trek back to Sif still act as if I never initiated the battle?

And about the dlc, does it matter which answer I chose once I saved whatshername from the golem? How would I know if I don't remember? I went back to the area and didn't see her there. Mind you, I didn't buy the dlc. I just assumed she'd show up there.

The cutscenes only happen once, so yes I guess you wouldn't get the different cutscene now.

Dusks' summon sign shows up near where the Knights set is, by the tree and rock at the waters' edge. If it's not there, you answered 'No'.

The wiki says if you answer 'No' to Dusk she will not be available for the rest of your playthrough - pretty harsh, so you should hope you answered yes! Although her spells can also be bought by a merchant in the DLC and I assume it's not necessary to have said yes to her to access the DLC - that would be completely unfair/broken. Accessing the DLC is only dependent on rescuing her, not talking to her as a merchant.

The cutscenes only happen once, so yes I guess you wouldn't get the different cutscene now.

Dusks' summon sign shows up near where the Knights set is, by the tree and rock at the waters' edge. If it's not there, you answered 'No'.

The wiki says if you answer 'No' to Dusk she will not be available for the rest of your playthrough - pretty harsh, so you should hope you answered yes! Although her spells can also be bought by a merchant in the DLC and I assume it's not necessary to have said yes to her to access the DLC - that would be completely unfair/broken. Accessing the DLC is only dependent on rescuing her, not talking to her as a merchant.

Oh, I did see a summon sign. Right in front of where the hydra was. Summoning her is only for mercantile purposes?

survivor

Banned
Man, fuck Seath. Cutting off his tail was so hard. He always moved his tail the moment I start to swing. Had to suicide rush his tail just to get the sword.

I'm not even sure why I tried to so hard to get the sword, it's not like I can use it.

Styles

I really want to double dip and get this on pc for 14.99. Are co-ops still viable with the introduction of exploits for the PC version?

Ok, another question I had: How do I enchant my weapons as I've seen in vids? I imagine me being a melee focused Wanderer isn't going to allow for such a thing?

And, what's the rule with covenants... can you join more than one or once you join a new one, you abandon the old one?

Thanks in advance. Still loving this game even though my first playthrough has been stretched throughout the year.

Jarsonot

Hey all. Asked before but don't think anyone answered...

I saw some item duping vids where you needed to have 99 stored and 1 held (in bottomless box) in order to duplicate items.

This seems crazy to me, and I noticed the guy in the video had 99/99 slabs (of something) and everything else. How did he get that many slabs without duplicating them, assuming he would need 100 to start - how'd he get 100?

My cousin is playing w/o Internet and was farming twinkling titanite. I thought since he's never patched the game there may be an item dupe glitch, and that's when I found the videos/explanations. But I still don't get it! How did they get 100 of that stuff?

I guess what's really got me scratching my head is - if they can get 100 coins, say, without duplicating... Why duplicate?

Ok, another question I had: How do I enchant my weapons as I've seen in vids? I imagine me being a melee focused Wanderer isn't going to allow for such a thing?

And, what's the rule with covenants... can you join more than one or once you join a new one, you abandon the old one?

Thanks in advance. Still loving this game even though my first playthrough has been stretched throughout the year.

different weapon enchants are based on items/magic/covenant gifts. Remember only non-elemental weapons can be enchanted, only some boss weapons, and only some unique drops. you can test which ones can be enchanted because it wont even let you try to enchant if you cant.

for example, you have these things called resin that can give weapons fire/lightning/poison enchants. you can buy these/drop from enemies. these have no requirements. Then you have enchants from magic that you buy/find/learn such as crystal weapon magic etc. these have int/faith requirements. then you have weapon enchants that are covenant specific like sunlight blade or dark moon blade. these require usually at least lvl 2 in a given covenant. these have covenant lvl/int/faith requirements but are usually the strongest.

you can join a covenant more than once, but there's a few things to take note of. If you join a covenant and then join another one, you will have committed a sin and broken the original covenant's rules. you cannot join that covenant again unless you ask for forgiveness. keep in mind leaving a covenant will mean all your levels gained in that covenant are reset to 0. leaving a covenant without committing a sin means going to the church bell tower and leaving the covenant first through him.

different weapon enchants are based on items/magic/covenant gifts. Remember only non-elemental weapons can be enchanted, only some boss weapons, and only some unique drops. you can test which ones can be enchanted because it wont even let you try to enchant if you cant.

for example, you have these things called resin that can give weapons fire/lightning/poison enchants. you can buy these/drop from enemies. these have no requirements. Then you have enchants from magic that you buy/find/learn such as crystal weapon magic etc. these have int/faith requirements. then you have weapon enchants that are covenant specific like sunlight blade or dark moon blade. these require usually at least lvl 2 in a given covenant. these have covenant lvl/int/faith requirements but are usually the strongest.

you can join a covenant more than once, but there's a few things to take note of. If you join a covenant and then join another one, you will have committed a sin and broken the original covenant's rules. you cannot join that covenant again unless you ask for forgiveness. keep in mind leaving a covenant will mean all your levels gained in that covenant are reset to 0. leaving a covenant without committing a sin means going to the church bell tower and leaving the covenant first through him.

Thanks for the informative answers. Very helpful.

Hey all. Asked before but don't think anyone answered...

I saw some item duping vids where you needed to have 99 stored and 1 held (in bottomless box) in order to duplicate items.

This seems crazy to me, and I noticed the guy in the video had 99/99 slabs (of something) and everything else. How did he get that many slabs without duplicating them, assuming he would need 100 to start - how'd he get 100?

My cousin is playing w/o Internet and was farming twinkling titanite. I thought since he's never patched the game there may be an item dupe glitch, and that's when I found the videos/explanations. But I still don't get it! How did they get 100 of that stuff?

I guess what's really got me scratching my head is - if they can get 100 coins, say, without duplicating... Why duplicate?
They patched out the BB glitch, but before that people would "mule" for other players - summon them and they would drop items in their world - I guess this is how they got to 99 slabs and no one person actually BB glitched their way to 99 slabs through different playthroughs! Other than the rarer items like Divine Blessings and upgrade materials it's not that difficult to get 99 of most things since you can buy them.

I think there is still a way to do this on PS3 by using PS+ cloud saves or something, I don't have it, but you do still see people chomping down on divine blessings like they're going out of fashion, so I guess there are people doing this.

Having a lot of trouble with Manus' magic attacks. If I try rolling away from the homing attack I'll eventually roll right into one, causing another 10 of them to hit me while I'm staggered. The battle is so long and drawn out that I'm bound to mess up eventually.

Dresden

Having a lot of trouble with Manus' magic attacks. If I try rolling away from the homing attack I'll eventually roll right into one, causing another 10 of them to hit me while I'm staggered. The battle is so long and drawn out that I'm bound to mess up eventually.

Silver Pendant.

Arjen

Finally got my fire within, goddamn that stuf is insane.
Do you have to get the weapon/miracle/sorcery achievements stuff on one character? Nearing the end on my NG+, but i rather get the rest of the stuff on my fresh character.
Can't believe i hesitated getting this game due to difficulty, and now i'm actually getting close to 1000/10000

Thanks. I'll see if I have that.

It's not obvious at all where to find it though so you might have to resort to a wiki. Best item post-patch.

Finally got my fire within, goddamn that stuf is insane.
Do you have to get the weapon/miracle/sorcery achievements stuff on one character? Nearing the end on my NG+, but i rather get the rest of the stuff on my fresh character.
Can't believe i hesitated getting this game due to difficulty, and now i'm actually getting close to 1000/10000

You have to have all of each type on one character, but you can of course have a character that has all the weapons, character that has all the miracles, character that has half of all upgrade paths (so you don't have to mine for Slabs) etc.

Jarsonot

They patched out the BB glitch, but before that people would "mule" for other players - summon them and they would drop items in their world - I guess this is how they got to 99 slabs and no one person actually BB glitched their way to 99 slabs through different playthroughs! Other than the rarer items like Divine Blessings and upgrade materials it's not that difficult to get 99 of most things since you can buy them.

I think there is still a way to do this on PS3 by using PS+ cloud saves or something, I don't have it, but you do still see people chomping down on divine blessings like they're going out of fashion, so I guess there are people doing this.

Ah, gotcha. I guess he's just gonna have to kill a crap ton more of those maneater shells. =) appreciate the reply.

And since I'm here:

I usually like to play as a Mage, and did so for my first character. Now I'm going through as a tank-ish high-damage slow weapon brawler and holy crap it's awesome how powerful I am!

It's so so extremely satisfying to just... Beat monsters down. I love it. Cheers, merry christmas

Arjen

It's not obvious at all where to find it though so you might have to resort to a wiki. Best item post-patch.

You have to have all of each type on one character, but you can of course have a character that has all the weapons, character that has all the miracles, character that has half of all upgrade paths (so you don't have to mine for Slabs) etc.

Thanks, wil make it a bit more time consuming but stil doable i guess.

Nando13

I just bought Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition for Xbox 360. I thought it had the same content as the PC version.

Cant cancel my order.

Minor spoilers for very new players: (but doesn't seem worth spoilering).

Started a new game and went Firelink -> VoD -> got the BK Halberd -> Parish. And found out the dragon on the bridge won't appear until you trigger him in Undead Burg.

Actually I forgot to go to the Burg down the ladder to the bonfire just to see it land and fly off from that opposite side to usual - I went to lower Undead Burg to open the Firelink shortcut, then came back to the Burg through the viaduct and triggered it normally.

So does anyone know if you never trigger the Dragon in Undead Burg if it will never appear on the bridge?

Arjen

I think so, I did the same in my current playtrough, I did tons of stuff before triggering the dragon. It's really useful for getting to the sunlight altar in an easy way.

Shimesaba

Just started this after playing Demon's Souls and I have to ask, did they ever patch in a fix for lock-on target switching? It's so unresponsive in comparison, I have to slam the stick to the side as hard as I can to get my target to change and even then it doesn't work half the time. This is really messing with my experience of the game. I'll be able to get my PS3 online and check for myself soon, but it would be nice to know.

Just got the 360 version for Christmas. What is the number 1 thing I should remember to do when starting?
Make sure you're going the correct way. If you get killed 3 times in a row despite using the right strategy, you probably shouldn't be there at the moment.

It's far more important to restore your own health rather than attacking the enemy. Never risk your life just so you can hit the enemy again.

tafer

Make sure you're going the correct way. If you get killed 3 times in a row despite using the right strategy, you probably shouldn't be there at the moment.

It's far more important to restore your own health rather than attacking the enemy. Never risk your life just so you can hit the enemy again.

Hehehe, I'll add the golden rule for Souls game: If you ever get mad, stop playing. Come back later.

And boy, any good strategy for the four kings at NG+? Seriously, that stuff was harder than expected!

Arjen

Hehehe, I'll add the golden rule for Souls game: If you ever get mad, stop playing. Come back later.

And boy, any good strategy for the four kings at NG+? Seriously, that stuff was harder than expected!

It's a dps race. Get you best weapon, get stamina regen equipment and consumable. Get as close as possible, 2 hand your weapon seeing like crazy, just dodge the grab. Heal if your out of stamina.

tafer

It's a dps race. Get you best weapon, get stamina regen equipment and consumable. Get as close as possible, 2 hand your weapon seeing like crazy, just dodge the grab. Heal if your out of stamina.

Thanks!
I managed to take it down, but boy that fight was nasty. I was expecting some sort of strategy other than going berserk.

Arjen

Got to love invaders in sen's frotress.
Dark Spirit dumbass has invaded.
Dark spirit has been vanguised lol
thanks for the free souls bro, watch out for the traps next time hehe.

I know I can search elsewhere but that's no fun (and sometimes spoils future events). Anyway, I'm parked in front of Ingward with New Londo still flooded. How do I unflood the place? Both switches I've tried don't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom