• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

tafer

I know I can search elsewhere but that's no fun (and sometimes spoils future events). Anyway, I'm parked in front of Ingward with New Londo still flooded. How do I unflood the place? Both switches I've tried don't work.

Wait until you have certain vessel and talk to him...
or you can try other more violent ways.

Oh..., I thought I get the vessel from defeating the boss after draining the ruins.

This is what happens when I read fragments of future events in the game haha.

So Sif is down, where do I find the abyss?

Dresden

Oh..., I thought I get the vessel from defeating the boss after draining the ruins.

This is what happens when I read fragments of future events in the game haha.

So Sif is down, where do I find the abyss?

Gotta drain New Londo, it's after that.
The end of that place, really, you'll see a fog door.

Feindflug

Got to love invaders in sen's frotress.
Dark Spirit dumbass has invaded.
Dark spirit has been vanguised lol
thanks for the free souls bro, watch out for the traps next time hehe.

lol! Sen's Fortress is so awesome. :)

Lately I'm hanging out mostly at Anor Londo and Oolacile Township putting down incandescent signs to help others on their journey and I had some great co-op fights, also it's pretty clear that most of the assholes are gone into Halo 4 or Blops 2 and the people that stayed back are really cool - got lots of thanks messages, saw some synchronized gestures and one guy yesterday gave me 2 Red Titanite Slubs...it's moments like these that make this game so fuckin' special.

I'm at 212 SL and don't have problem getting summoned which is quite unexpected since from 190 to 200 finding other players was really hard.

The problem is that I want to start Dragon's Dogma but this damn game just won't let me. :p

Arjen

Aw yeah, got all my miracles, farming those harpies was a bitch though. Never ever going to set foot in that place again.

DinnerRevealer

Neo Member
What are good weapons for a dex build? I have an iaito +10 and an uchigatana +6, right now I'm planning on switching the iaito to lightning once i get to the giant blacksmith and just leveling the uchigatana to +15.

Soulhouf

What are good weapons for a dex build? I have an iaito +10 and an uchigatana +6, right now I'm planning on switching the iaito to lightning once i get to the giant blacksmith and just leveling the uchigatana to +15.

Don't do that!
You can experience with Uchigatana since you can get many of them.
Iaito is unique and it's a waste to switch it to elemental since the points you spent on dex will not be used. Besides, lightning can't beat the regular upgrade when you put points in your stat.

Other good dex weapons:
- Chaos Blade
- Balder Side Sword
- Ricard's Rapier

Aww, killed Ingy expecting to also get his equipment. Nope. I drained New Londo and made my way through the fog gate and got destroyed by two Dark Wraiths(?)

Wasn't until then that I realized I should probably have tackled Anor Londo first but way back, I had back tracked to do other things... Oh well. Sorry Ingy.

Arjen

Aww, killed Ingy expecting to also get his equipment. Nope. I drained New Londo and made my way through the fog gate and got destroyed by two Dark Wraiths(?)

Wasn't until then that I realized I should probably have tackled Anor Londo first but way back, I had back tracked to do other things... Oh well. Sorry Ingy.

You can pick up his armor somewhere, I think it's in Blighttown.

Yes the entire armor set, take the waterwheel up from the swamp, it's in that area. The ghost blade are random drops from the ghost in new londo.
Thanks. Is it on the wooden planks area, at the top or where the poison dart fellas were?
Because I've been up and down that dozens of times.

Arjen

Yep near the dart fellows I think, don't know exactly where, been a while since I picked it up. Maybe trie the wiki, it's the crimson set

DinnerRevealer

Neo Member
Don't do that!
You can experience with Uchigatana since you can get many of them.
Iaito is unique and it's a waste to switch it to elemental since the points you spent on dex will not be used. Besides, lightning can't beat the regular upgrade when you put points in your stat.

Other good dex weapons:
- Chaos Blade
- Balder Side Sword
- Ricard's Rapier

Thanks for the heads up!

I saw one of those little crab dudes for the first time today. I lost a bucket of souls and humanity in New Londo thanks to forgetting to use a transient curse after a restart ("huh why are they staggering me, did I take off my wolf ring?!".... YOU DIED!) and when I went back the crab thing was close by on the roof on the corner where you can roll across from the ledge with a humanity. I died again because I was so eager to get to it - 17 humanity, 117,000 souls gone ;_; Hardly my biggest haul, but still.

I want more stuff like those in DS2 - more rare drops and rewards for long time players. BP enemies galore in NG+, a Gravelord covenant that works and is evil.

HoosTrax

Quick question -- there's no innate penalty to wielding a weapon that looks like a two-handed weapon (greataxe or greatsword, for example) with only one-hand right (as long as you meet the requirements of course)? No hidden damage or accuracy penalty or w/e?

So, I'm lttp on the DLC since I have been away from my console for a few months (and will be for another 6+ months a week from now). But I got it this week and have been playing it a fair bit (have beaten the first two bosses).

I tried the PvP arena today with my non-pvp focused SL 75 character (my only character). First, I tried a few duels. The first one was good. Managed to get a kill but was then killed with a few seconds to spare ending the match with a draw. Was a good opponent and a fun battle and we both bowed very courteously afterwards too. The rest of my attempts were against another guy who was really boring. He basically only went for backstabs and ran away when he got the lead. I got bored of that after a while.

I tried out deathmatch, instead. And that was really fun! With the more chaoitic nature of a 4 players free for all, only going for backstabs wouldn't quite cut it anymore so the battle was more fun and varied. And with the rules favouring surviving rather than killing, my defensive character was actually able to compete. I actually even won the match! The deathmatch was tons of time, but I don't know whether I will have the patience to wait for another game to start. It felt like I had to wait for half an hour, even though it probably was a lot less than that.

Arjen

Quick question -- there's no innate penalty to wielding a weapon that looks like a two-handed weapon (greataxe or greatsword, for example) with only one-hand right (as long as you meet the requirements of course)? No hidden damage or accuracy penalty or w/e?

You will do less damage.
It's a pretty interesting mechanic really.
You know how weapons scale with strength? (and with dexterity, int, etc, not important right now)
2 handing your weapon wil increase your strenght by 1.5, so the scaling multiplier will be bigger, hence you will do more damage 2 handing.

Soulhouf

You will do less damage.
It's a pretty interesting mechanic really.
You know how weapons scale with strength? (and with dexterity, int, etc, not important right now)
2 handing your weapon wil increase your strenght by 1.5, so the scaling multiplier will be bigger, hence you will do more damage 2 handing.

Also 2 handing a weapon adds an additional amount of hidden damage so that even weapons without any scaling will do more damage. Not only that but stunning and guard breaking enemies will increase significantly when you 2 hand a weapon.

Seanspeed

Banned
Still deciding on whether to buy this game. Are there any hints to the game on where to go?
When people say this game doesn't hold your hand, they mean it. There are no cursors on the screen telling you where to go, there's no map, there's no quest log, none of that. If you go without playing for a while and forget what you were doing or just cant figure out what to do next, I'm sure somebody here will be able to help you out pretty quickly.

I'm enjoying it. It makes the exploration more mysterious and dangerous.

Dresden

What's the best class for running around with a shield and a sword?

The game is more about what gear you use (and how you tailor your levels towards them) than the starting class. That said if you like shields you're going to want endurance, and at least a bit of strength to handle some of the heavier shields.

Insaniac

Also 2 handing a weapon adds an additional amount of hidden damage so that even weapons without any scaling will do more damage. Not only that but stunning and guard breaking enemies will increase significantly when you 2 hand a weapon.

you also swing the sword slightly faster, and use more stamina per swing. In addition the STR bonus counts toward the swords str req so you can wield a sword 2 handed with lower str requirement

SJRB

Gold Member
I upgraded a +5 Falcion to a Devine Falcion because I'm heading towards the Catacombs but it only deals about 34 damage, I can't go in that place with a weapon like that. Did I fuck up and should I have upgraded the Falcion to +10 for more damage?

I assumed that ascending a weapon nullifies its prior stats.

..wait, it scales with faith, doesn't it? I am so fucked..

Facism

so like, is the online for the PC version supposed to be worse than it is on the PS3? Can't catch a fucking coop session in blighttown at all @ lvl 30.

Dresden

I upgraded a +5 Falcion to a Devine Falcion because I'm heading towards the Catacombs but it only deals about 34 damage, I can't go in that place with a weapon like that. Did I fuck up and should I have upgraded the Falcion to +10 for more damage?

I assumed that ascending a weapon nullifies its prior stats.

..wait, it scales with faith, doesn't it? I am so fucked..

you can just revert it back to +5 if you want, then ascend it to +10.

If you just want a quick divine weapon, grab the Occult Club in Anor Londo and revert it to Divine +5. It's also blunt damage so it puts down skeletons like a pro.

HoosTrax

This game finds new and novel ways to make me want to rage at every turn...

• those blowdart snipers
  • those unhittable mosquitoes
  • Blighttown without Rusted Iron Ring
  • repeatedly getting knocked off the walkways in Sens
  • getting firebombed to death my first time making it to the top of Sens (and before making it to the bonfire)
  • those silver knight archers in Anor Londo

And now getting my ass handed to me by Ornstein and Smough. I really want Ornstein's armor set, but I don't think I've even managed to get a hit in before I either get impaled by Ornstein or ploughed by Smough. The balance in this game is really weird. Iron Golem was a joke in comparison; took him down in less than 10 secs just stunlocking his leg with my Greataxe.

Revisited the bottom of Sen's now that I had the rusted iron ring. I have a question though: How do I get the item perched in a cage that I see up above the 2 headless guys that were off to the right? My only guess is exiting from up top and dropping down from the roof above.

Revisited the bottom of Sen's now that I had the rusted iron ring. I have a question though: How do I get the item perched in a cage that I see up above the 2 headless guys that were off to the right? My only guess is exiting from up top and dropping down from the roof above.
There is a way in there, it contains something more important than an item too, but you don't get to that area from the swamp at the bottom ;)

|===3===3===O |____
ascii clue.

Afrocious

Found this OT and I wanna jump into Dark Souls. I'm wondering if I should get it for the PC or the PS3. Considering the PS3 version is older, I bet the PC version's community is livelier.

SJRB

Gold Member
Found this OT and I wanna jump into Dark Souls. I'm wondering if I should get it for the PC or the PS3. Considering the PS3 version is older, I bet the PC version's community is livelier.

PS3 version still is very active, make no mistake. PC however has the graphical and technical advantage but also the occasional hackers.

ZeroCoin

Just got this game for Christmas and am having a blast with it. It's definitely tough, but it's honest about it....at least so far. Couple of questions, should I be concerned with my equipment? I am using the starter club for the cleric, and a set of armor I bought from the merchant in undead burg. I've used the blacksmith to upgrade the weapon to +5 and the armor pieces a few points a piece. I'm trying to fight the capra demon, and it's not going very well.

Should I be working on getting better gear, getting my SL higher (currently 15), or just work on my technique / strategy?

Just got this game for Christmas and am having a blast with it. It's definitely tough, but it's honest about it....at least so far. Couple of questions, should I be concerned with my equipment? I am using the starter club for the cleric, and a set of armor I bought from the merchant in undead burg. I've used the blacksmith to upgrade the weapon to +5 and the armor pieces a few points a piece. I'm trying to fight the capra demon, and it's not going very well.

Should I be working on getting better gear, getting my SL higher (currently 15), or just work on my technique / strategy?

The technique is the most important thing, then the gear, then the SL.

In general, try to get the best weapons possible, upgrade them when you can, and level up with the spare souls or when some area is being way too tough.

ZeroCoin

The technique is the most important thing, then the gear, then the SL.

In general, try to get the best weapons possible, upgrade them when you can, and level up with the spare souls or when some area is being way too tough.

Alright. I'll keep working at it.

How is the DLC? 15 bucks seems really steep, especially when the game was purchased for 10. Does the matchmaking addition work well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom