• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izick

Damn this game is fun as hell. It's like an NES game trapped in an Xbox 360 game's body. Everything feels so weird and alien, and the story is really light but still good for what it is.

I don't know why but I couldn't get into Demon's Souls and I love this so far.

Damn this game is fun as hell. It's like an NES game trapped in an Xbox 360 game's body. Everything feels so weird and alien, and the story is really light but still good for what it is.

I don't know why but I couldn't get into Demon's Souls and I love this so far.

Maybe its the xbox 360 avatar, or the fact that you couldn't play demons souls on your 360.

The only issues I can think of...
  • Do you have large titanite shards?
  • Is your weapon already +5?
  • Are you in the right menu? To ascend a +5 to +6 you must be in modify.
  • Are you sure it was the Large Ember you gave him, not the Divine ember?
  • Is the weapon you're using modifiable?

If it's not any of those I'm not sure what's up.

Okay I'm about to play this for the first time. Any quick tips?

See a guy stuck in a barrel, roll into it to break it instead of using your weapon.

You may have the Master Key, but only use it to get early access to certain items on your first playthrough. Don't use it to forgo areas like the Depths or Blighttown.

Save Fire Keeper Souls, or any special soul you find, until you know what to do with it.

Don't kill NPCs unless you're certain you know the consequences.

Izick

See a guy stuck in a barrel, roll into it to break it instead of using your weapon.

You may have the Master Key, but only use it to get early access to certain items on your first playthrough. Don't use it to forgo areas like the Depths or Blighttown.

Save Fire Keeper Souls, or any special soul you find, until you know what to do with it.

Don't kill NPCs unless you're certain you know the consequences.

Alright, thanks. So I should keep lost souls instead of using them? I already used like two or three...

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm not playing with a guide...but I have had to spend several hours reading through the Wiki and googling various things. Even started a thread here on GAF.

I like discovering things and all, so I try not to look up areas I haven't completed (unless I'm truly lost), but christ the game doesn't explain anything to you! I don't get how you could figure out any of the gameplay systems / subsystems let alone their intricacies without some help.

I love the sense of discovery and all, but that doesn't really apply to a game being cryptic and poorly explained just because.
I wouldn't recommend playing this with absolutely no guide whatsoever. There's definitely things its worthwhile to look up regarding mechanics/upgrades/whatnot. I would avoid walkthrough's, though. Once you've cleared an area(or think you have), then go back and maybe see if you missed some stuff, but I imagine it would ruin a lot of the fun if you knew what was coming up all the time.

Alright, thanks. So I should keep lost souls instead of using them? I already used like two or three...
Souls of Lost Undead/Nameless Soldier/Proud Warrior/etc, you can use pretty safely. He's speaking of 'Fire Keeper Souls', which is something different entirely that you'll end up discovering.

Piano

Banned
Are you on PC? Blighttown led me to disable SSAO. Glad I did...you lose a neat effect but it boosted my performance tremendously.

Hah, sorry, I should specify either fire keeper souls or boss souls you should keep. If you find a a generic item called "souls of a lost undead/large soul of a lost undead" or any variation thereof, feel free to use it whenever you need it.

Blighttown is terrifying and runs at a solid 5 FPS.

It ain't pretty. Just wait til you hit Lost Izalith.

For a faith build, would you guys take a claymore to +15 w/Darkmoon Blade or make it divine if you're just going to boost Str/dex enough to use the weapon?

Cheers, that's what I thought

I went to the Catacombs entrance to get the 13,000 sould I needed to level up after completing it, and the Skeletons were taking like a fifth of my health with each hit

Yeah, I was really surprised by how much more difficult NG+ was.

I'm used to New Game+ in most games being really easy, and more for an enjoyable jaunt back through a game you liked. But no, this is Dark Souls. Despite the fact that I was something like level 90 with beefed up armor and weapons, it was still insanely difficult on NG+.

I don't even want to know what NG+7 is like...

Yeah, I was really surprised by how much more difficult NG+ was.

I'm used to New Game+ in most games being really easy, and more for an enjoyable jaunt back through a game you liked. But no, this is Dark Souls. Despite the fact that I was something like level 90 with beefed up armor and weapons, it was still insanely difficult on NG+.

I don't even want to know what NG+7 is like...

Just like in demons souls fhe jump from ng to ng plus is huge while every subsequent gake only gets marginally harder. If you can hang in ng plus then plus 2 is no sweat.

Blowdart Snipers don't respawn?

Also, I can't find the Great Club in Blighttown.
no they don't. i can usually clear out the fire keeper soul area in one run even getting toxic just by having 10 flasks from a kindled bonfire. but the easiest way imo is just to clear the blowdarts, then homeward bone. then go back and (cross)bow snipe the dogs from above.

the club is guarded by some boulder dudes. if you know where mildred spawns its towards that direction for minimal swamp paths. its on the left of the cave entrance guarded by the 3 boulder dudes.

what's the best place for an sl80 to get summoned for co-op? seath? last boss? ng+ ornstein?

Booshka

no they don't. i can usually clear out the fire keeper soul area in one run even getting toxic just by having 10 flasks from a kindled bonfire. but the easiest way imo is just to clear the blowdarts, then homeward bone. then go back and (cross)bow snipe the dogs from above.

the club is guarded by some boulder dudes. if you know where mildred spawns its towards that direction for minimal swamp paths. its on the left of the cave entrance guarded by the 3 boulder dudes.

what's the best place for an sl80 to get summoned for co-op? seath? last boss? ng+ ornstein?

Try the Lord Souls Areas (New Londo, Demon Ruins/Izalith, Duke's, ToTG) and the DLC. Anor Londo is usually pretty hopping too, so you might have luck there. Last boss is good too.

sixghost

SL1 Four Kings is such an amazing fight. There is just no room to screw up at all, everything is so damn tense. I ended up doing it with fast roll armor, using the crest shield to eat the magic projectile attack if it showed up. I even learned that you can dodge that magic AoE attack pretty easily by rolling back a few times, which I never knew. That's got to be the best part of doing an SL1 run, it actually forces you to learn the boss fights in and out, you can't just get by on having 40 vit and 20 estus.

Only Seath and Bed of Chaos left. I was trying the latter a few days ago but gave up after 7-8 tries to get the second hit, fuck that fight.

sixghost

9168F4586D0EDE34D8774BDB5993BBBDEE0C6433
Finished my SL1 run. I really, really enjoyed that. S&O and Four Kings were by far the hardest. The Giant Blacksmith's Hammer was easily the best weapon, and pyromancy carried me so hard during most of the boss fights. Maybe one day I'll give it a shot without pyromancy.

Not even right by the bonfire? Are you sure you weren't just too high/low leveled?

Haha, yeah, I'd plop down my summon sign and leave after an hour passed without any hint of a summons (this is as a Warrior of Sunlight, mind). Fortunately I've always had an easy time with Quelaag. I'll keep an eye out on future playthroughs and try putting my sign down a bit more.

+15 w/ Darkmoon, always.
The reason I ask is, pulling out a buff in PVP almost always turns opponents into turtles or cowards who just wait for your buff to wear off before engaging you. Building a dex/int character around Crystal Magic Weapon sort of soured me to the idea, but I'm hardly an expert.

Let's use this character as an example.

Unless I want to run away and rebuff every time I'm about to attack I'd probably end up attacking an enemy with my normal +15 more often than not, unless they're feeling bold. So then I got to looking at the benefits of Divine vs. Normal and even with the split damage I'm still hitting harder with 50 Faith and the bare minimum str/dex. I like the idea of using weapon buffs in battle but flighty opponents rarely allow it - same reason no one uses Power Within anymore, by my reckoning. Perhaps I've got it all wrong. Is there any way to calculate how much damage I'd be doing buffed with DMB?

Amaron

Banned
The reason I ask is, pulling out a buff in PVP almost always turns opponents into turtles or cowards who just wait for your buff to wear off before engaging you. Building a dex/int character around Crystal Magic Weapon sort of soured me to the idea, but I'm hardly an expert.

Unless I want to run away and rebuff every time I'm about to attack I'd probably end up attacking an enemy with my normal +15 more often than not, unless they're feeling bold. So then I got to looking at the benefits of Divine vs. Normal and even with the split damage I'm still hitting harder with 50 Faith and the bare minimum str/dex. I like the idea of using weapon buffs in battle but flighty opponents rarely allow it - same reason no one uses Power Within anymore, by my reckoning. Perhaps I've got it all wrong. Is there any way to calculate how much damage I'd be doing buffed with DMB?

Well when you're leveling Faith that much and leaving the rest of the stats near base, you're pretty much becoming DMB dependent. I wouldn't call them cowards however. DMB, seriously hurts especially at lower levels like that. Faith starts diminishing returns/scaling after 40, so I don't see the need for 50.
What you can do is remove at least 10 points or so from Faith and invest in STR or DEX depending on what weapons you prefer. You can also remove some points from ATT if you only want the DMB buff. Also, you can invest in a Ring of Faith and Protection and remove a bit from VIT or END if you see fit.

With that done, you'll be able to vary your weapons more to include +5 Divine/Occult weapons such as the Claymore to quick switch to if your opponent is aiming for your buff to expire and provide well enough damage at those levels. You can also focus on DMBing DEX weapons to whack away at your opponent and kill their stamina/chip at their health since DMB is also magic damage. Weapons like the Great Scythe are also good for hitting dead angles and rollers.

Help in Blighttown? I've never seen anyone even place their summon sign there.
i get summoned every ~10mins while farming large titanite. from my experience, its 3rd next to bell gargoyles and ornstein. even helped a few people go backwards and get power within/iaito.

sl35 is the sweet spot for me to get summoned for both quelaag and ornstein, but for pure quelaag i think ~25 is more appropriate.

Well when you're leveling Faith that much and leaving the rest of the stats near base, you're pretty much becoming DMB dependent. I wouldn't call them cowards however. DMB, seriously hurts especially at lower levels like that. Faith starts diminishing returns/scaling after 40, so I don't see the need for 50.
What you can do is remove at least 10 points or so from Faith and invest in STR or DEX depending on what weapons you prefer. You can also remove some points from ATT if you only want the DMB buff. Also, you can invest in a Ring of Faith and Protection and remove a bit from VIT or END if you see fit.

With that done, you'll be able to vary your weapons more to include +5 Divine/Occult weapons such as the Claymore to quick switch to if your opponent is aiming for your buff to expire and provide well enough damage at those levels. You can also focus on DMBing DEX weapons to whack away at your opponent and kill their stamina/chip at their health since DMB is also magic damage. Weapons like the Great Scythe are also good for hitting dead angles and rollers.

Haha, let the record state that I didn't mean coward as a derogatory (what other definition is there?) - indeed, they're doing what I would do when faced with a buff, which is avoid it. Considering I've never let a buffed enemy hit me before and I'm not all that good, I can't help but imagine that a pretty decent player would have an easier time.

Faith starts seeing diminishing returns after 50 actually, but I get where you're coming from.

Soulhouf

For DMB, you still have great return if you increase to 50:

Help in Blighttown? I've never seen anyone even place their summon sign there.
That is one of the hotspots for summons lvl20-30, always down there grinding those 10,000 souls, plus another 8,000-ish for Mildred.

Can't see daylight again until I've got a +5 ascended pyro glove and Quelana's pyro's are expensive!

789shadow

Banned
That is one of the hotspots for summons lvl20-30, always down there grinding those 10,000 souls, plus another 8,000-ish for Mildred.

Can't see daylight again until I've got a +5 ascended pyro glove and Quelana's pyro's are expensive!
I'm going to be grinding giant leeches to get enough Large Shards to fully upgrade my stuff. :(

Booshka

I prefer to grind large/green shards from the slimes in the Depths. I've found that their slightly lower drop rate is made up for by their more immediate proximity to the bonfire.

The Leeches drop 5 Green Shards at a time though, so the Green shards stack up quick. If you farm from the Great Hollow bonfire, it's actually pretty quick.

Soulhouf

Being DMB focused, yes. But I was implying at a non-DMB focused build that included DMB.

I think it's related to the Darkmoon talisman in particular which doesn't seem to scale like the others.
You can see when you increase your faith that the DkM Talisman begins to shine at 41 or 42 faith and continues to increase significantly until 50.
DMB is more visible than the other miracles because it already has a high base buff.

With that said, you're not wrong because Occult and Divine weapons have diminishing return beyond 40 faith.

Seanspeed

Banned
The Leeches drop 5 Green Shards at a time though, so the Green shards stack up quick. If you farm from the Great Hollow bonfire, it's actually pretty quick.

For me, farming large shards in Blighttown was probably about 5x more efficient than in the depths(with the Gold Serpent Ring on).

Sullichin

Haha, yeah, I'd plop down my summon sign and leave after an hour passed without any hint of a summons (this is as a Warrior of Sunlight, mind). Fortunately I've always had an easy time with Quelaag. I'll keep an eye out on future playthroughs and try putting my sign down a bit more.

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/darkmoon-blade

226 (mag adjust of darkmoon talisman at 50 faith according to mugenmonkey) * 2.1 (DMB rank 3) = 474.6 magic damage added. If you know your opponent is going to cast great magic barrier, use sunlight blade instead. Having a divine backup weapon with 50 faith is definitely viable, certainly better than an unbuffed +15 at minimum stats. I'm making a character that only uses divine/occult weapons and not the buffs and that works well too.

If you're gonna take faith to 50, i'd have a backup occult/divine weapon. Or, if you just bring faith to 30, you can bring your str/dex to ~25 each and have a decently hard hitting claymore +15 for when the DMB on it runs out. But like Soulhouf said, darkmoon talisman gets great scaling after 40 faith, so the magic damage won't be as much. Canvas talisman is best at 30FAI.

I think it's related to the Darkmoon talisman in particular which doesn't seem to scale like the others.
You can see when you increase your faith that the DkM Talisman begins to shine at 41 or 42 faith and continues to increase significantly until 50.
DMB is more visible than the other miracles because it already has a high base buff.

With that said, you're not wrong because Occult and Divine weapons have diminishing return beyond 40 faith.

Crunching the numbers, divine and occult weapons appear to have pretty steady scaling even up to 50 - a +3 bump to AR for every point put into Faith.

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/darkmoon-blade

226 (mag adjust of darkmoon talisman at 50 faith according to mugenmonkey) * 2.1 (DMB rank 3) = 474.6 magic damage added. If you know your opponent is going to cast great magic barrier, use sunlight blade instead. Having a divine backup weapon with 50 faith is definitely viable, certainly better than an unbuffed +15 at minimum stats. I'm making a character that only uses divine/occult weapons and not the buffs and that works well too.

If you're gonna take faith to 50, i'd have a backup occult/divine weapon. Or, if you just bring faith to 30, you can bring your str/dex to ~25 each and have a decently hard hitting claymore +15 for when the DMB on it runs out. But like Soulhouf said, darkmoon talisman gets great scaling after 40 faith, so the magic damage won't be as much. Canvas talisman is best at 30FAI.

Thanks, I think I'm going to raise faith to 50, bring my Claymore to +15 with DMB and carry a divine Balder Side Sword for backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom