• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nutter

I'm sure plenty of people have done it legit through PvP, but I'm sure there are only a few dedicated players that have leveled that high solely from PvE. When you get to the point where you play an entire NG+7 Scaled playthrough and still don't have enough Souls to level, it gets stupid hard to hold on to your bloodstain and grind out levels. I can't imagine having to play multiple playthroughs just to level up once. I leveled a character to level 280 legit in PvE, I started tiring of it after I would beat 2-3 bosses in a row on NG+7 difficulty, and putting avarice gear on after I beat a boss, and still not be able to level.

The best, non-cheating, but definitely exploiting way to level is to piggyback level off a friend. You host and summon a friend with red summon sign, kill your friend 10 or so times with avarice gear, then level, then you let him host and do the same to you. If you do it properly, it will never take more time to level because you guys are scaling together. It still takes forever, but it's definitely the best way to do it without having to cheat.

There is no real reason to level past 300 though, you can get every stat to its best scaling level and even a couple like Vitality and Endurance to 99. Once the gains for scaling start to tank, there is little incentive to level, and you ruin the online essentially because you are so out of level range of most players.
Didn't we get closer to 300?

Booshka

Didn't we get closer to 300?

That was a different character. We got that one to like 290 with our piggyback leveling. I leveled a character from PvE playthroughs alone to like 260 when I didn't have Xbox Live for a few months and wanted to see what NG+7 was like.

The Forest is essentially that arena, you can level all you want and still PvP, but it gets real messy and the level ranges are all over the place.

One shotting bosses is an art, you have to do a lot of interesting things to do it, and it is only possible on your first playthrough, the bosses get too strong on NG+ and beyond. You will never be able to one shot a boss just because your Dexterity and Strength are both 99, you need to combine a lot of gear and build specifications to pull it off. There is a youtube guy that has a One shot challenge series. Vageta or something like that is his name, search for it if you are interested.

Cheers. I love the idea (even though from what you said its impossible) of levelling up to the point that you could waltz into Gwyn's chamber, smash him round the head with a club and take him out in one

Suggestion for DS2

3 branches for NG+

-Normal NG+
-NG+/-, no change in enemy strength or rewarded souls
-NG extreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeme, no change in enemy strength, gives you a load of crazy spells, infinite sorcery, lets you play around with the levels, lets you modify your weapons. Basically breaks the game for some instant gratification

Also there should of course be a bosses/enemy gallery to play around in. Perhaps a movie mode so you can take some awesome screenshots

Booshka

Cheers. I love the idea (even though from what you said its impossible) of levelling up to the point that you could waltz into Gwyn's chamber, smash him round the head with a club and take him out in one

Suggestion for DS2

3 branches for NG+

-Normal NG+
-NG+/-, no change in enemy strength or rewarded souls
-NG extreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeme, no change in enemy strength, gives you a load of crazy spells, infinite sorcery, lets you play around with the levels, lets you modify your weapons. Basically breaks the game for some instant gratification

Also there should of course be a bosses/enemy gallery to play around in. Perhaps a movie mode so you can take some awesome screenshots

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9la71UI1fs

You can one shot bosses, but like I said, it's all about gear and your build to do it. Not just about raw levels and stats,

789shadow

Banned
So there was a "dragon remnant" outside of the Darkroot Garden bonfire. I touched it not knowing that it would get a Dragon Covenant guy to invade. And then I destroyed him.

He changed from a Dragon Greatsword to the Dragon King Greataxe. I still owned him.

Amaron

Banned
So even if you get gravelorded in NG will you not see any black phantoms until NG+? Will you even see the gravelord sign?

I could have sworn my first gravelord infection was in the Parish on a new character. I do know that the message "Disasters are gone-" appears even if you weren't actively infected or see a sign on all NG and NG+s though.

I could have sworn my first gravelord infection was in the Parish on a new character. I do know that the message "Disasters are gone-" appears even if you weren't actively infected or see a sign on all NG and NG+s though.

Yeah, that's all I saw. Searched high and low for any BPs or signs and saw nothing. Moving on!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
BPs don't always appear even if you see a Gravelord sign. But you don't need to be in NG+ to see BPs, I saw them in NG Demon Ruins, there were BP Capra demons around. Pretty cool.

chunk3rvd

How the fuck am I supposed to get through New Londo with half my health bar to get to the guy that cures that?

I wouldn't bother. From Firelink Shrine, head up into the aqueduct and speak to the female merchant at the end of it. Buy a purging stone to cure your curse and some transient curse items which will allow you to defeat the ghosts in New Londo without actually being cursed. If you have some humanity or the covetous gold ring then the ghosts you kill will drop plenty more transient curses as well so you don't need to buy many

Izick

I wouldn't bother. From Firelink Shrine, head up into the aqueduct and speak to the female merchant at the end of it. Buy a purging stone to cure your curse and some transient curse items which will allow you to defeat the ghosts in New Londo without actually being cursed. If you have some humanity or the covetous gold ring then the ghosts you kill will drop plenty more transient curses as well so you don't need to buy many

Didn't even know she sold that! I swore I even checked her inventory during my um...pilgrimage.

Amaron

Banned
I am SL225.

I am on NG+8.

I am on a Calamity ring play-through.

I am trying to kill Kalameet.

I am on day 5.

Here's what usually happens in three simple steps:

1) I take x2 damage due to calamity ring
2) I fail to dodge Kalameet's grab-like move and get more damage multipliers
3) Black Fire.

Fuck you Kalameet. Fuck you.

I am SL225.

I am on NG+8.

I am on a Calamity ring play-through.

I am trying to kill Kalameet.

I am on day 5.

Here's what usually happens in three simple steps:

1) I take x2 damage due to calamity ring
2) I fail to dodge Kalameet's grab-like move and get more damage multipliers
3) Black Fire.

Fuck you Kalameet. Fuck you.

Karmic justice. He's punishing you for beating him on on a previous playthrough. You shouldn't be wearing that ring, it's like you're mocking him.

Great, now I'm not cursed. So now I have to decide whether to go through New Londo or Blighttown.

You could probably tackle New Londo with enough transient curses if you wanted, but I'd recommend doing Blighttown first if only for the sake of natural progression. You're just going to run into a dead-end in New Londo anyway.

Arjen

Great, now I'm not cursed. So now I have to decide whether to go through New Londo or Blighttown.

Dude, you can buy everything that cures posion/toxic or curse from the female undead merchant.
Why would you go to Blightown if you're cursed?

trying out a sorcery build and i am not impressed. doing almost the same damage as pyro w/ a 40 int sorcerers catalyst, and pyro requires 0 stat investment. is a 45/50 int with logan a serious improvement or should i just scrap this chara?

Any tips for dealing with toxic dart blowing frogmen in Blightown?

You know those Dung Pies that the big dudes drop? If you throw them on the ground next to you, it will make you Toxic. However, it's a MUCH less severe toxic then that given by the blowdart guys (does a lot less damage). Which makes you immune to the toxic from the blowdarts.

Luckily the blowdart guys don't respawn as well.

Amaron

Banned
Semi-spoilers (kinda):
The boss gate of New Londo is sealed until after you obtain the Lordvessel anyway
. I'd suggest tackling New Londo after that point.

Actually, it's not. You can fight the four kings as the second boss if you so choose. But I still agree to follow Data's suggestion.

Sullichin

My 9 year old nephew just beat the gargoyes (+5 claymore and no resin). So proud ;_;
He's stuck on Capra now. He told me he got invaded by a ton of guys using what he calls the "Twizzlehandle" (Zweihander). Sounds like a pretty appropriate name to me.

trying out a sorcery build and i am not impressed. doing almost the same damage as pyro w/ a 40 int sorcerers catalyst, and pyro requires 0 stat investment. is a 45/50 int with logan a serious improvement or should i just scrap this chara?
It's the latter part of the game where sorcery comes into it's own. Once you have all of Logan's spells and the Crystal catalyst + Dusk crown, bellowing ring, etc - stick Power Within on top of all that, it gets stupid. Gwyn takes like 4 crystal homing masses to go down or something.

My 9 year old nephew just beat the gargoyes (+5 claymore and no resin). So proud ;_;
He's stuck on Capra now. He told me he got invaded by a ton of guys using what he calls the "Twizzlehandle" (Zweihander). Sounds like a pretty appropriate name to me.
XD Love this. Will now forever call it so!

Actually, it's not. You can fight the four kings as the second boss if you so choose. But I still agree to follow Data's suggestion.

Wow, that's good to know for my next Darkwraith character.

In any case he's going to have to fight
Sif
before he can deal with the Kings, so he's going to meet a dead-end anyway.

Find a Ring of Fog - they won't start attacking you until you're right on top of them. That item makes all of Blighttown a lot easier. I'll leave it up to you if you want to know exactly how to get one.

789shadow

Banned
Got all +3 Elite Knight armor. Time to get the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring from Sen's. I'll see if it makes farming large shards from the Depths slimes feasible. If not, to Blighttown. :(

Got all +3 Elite Knight armor. Time to get the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring from Sen's. I'll see if it makes farming large shards from the Depths slimes feasible. If not, to Blighttown. :(

IMO, if all you're looking for are large shards the slimes are vastly superior. Only reason to go to Blighttown is if you need green shards.

Spider shield blocks poison and toxic 100%. There are two free ones to loot and Bandit class starts with one.

Once I have a spider shield and at least 3 blooming purple mosses JIC I'm good to go for the whole of Blighttown.

789shadow

Banned
Spider shield blocks poison and toxic 100%. There are two free ones to loot and Bandit class starts with one.

Once I have a spider shield and at least 3 blooming purple mosses JIC I'm good to go for the whole of Blighttown.
Try 7 Blooming Purple Mosses. There's 4 Blowdart Snipers guarding a Firekeeper Soul.

toxic doesnt stack. just eliminate them all then use a moss afterwards, or the cheaper alternative homeward bone.
Right on.

Depending on your method, it's entirely possible to not get toxic at all where the firekeeper's soul is, although I usually get it once. I work my way around clockwise, come back for the one in the little alcove with the soul item, do a plunging attack on the dogs in front of the firekeeper's soul. The blowdart guy on the little ledge which you can't get to (unless you can jump across?) usually drops down for me so I take him out where the other dogs are on the slope.

The only other time I get toxic is from the one guarding the Wanderer set and the Falchion because you have to take out those two spider things to get to him.

Seanspeed

Banned
IMO, if all you're looking for are large shards the slimes are vastly superior. Only reason to go to Blighttown is if you need green shards.

With the Gold Serpent Ring, Blighttown is so much better as the drops are 'normal' drops so you get them much more frequently. Just base yourself at the bonfire at the Great Hollow, equip the Rusted Iron Ring to make trekking over the swamp quicker and go to town. There's like 15 slugs or something per run and you usually get at least 3-4 drops per run. On the way back, just run straight for the bonfire and dont worry about getting poisoned as the bonfire will cure it.

It'll save so much time if you need a fair amount of shards.

With the Gold Serpent Ring, Blighttown is so much better as the drops are 'normal' drops so you get them much more frequently. Just base yourself at the bonfire at the Great Hollow, equip the Rusted Iron Ring to make trekking over the swamp quicker and go to town. There's like 15 slugs or something per run and you usually get at least 3-4 drops per run. On the way back, just run straight for the bonfire and dont worry about getting poisoned as the bonfire will cure it.

It'll save so much time if you need a fair amount of shards.

Maybe I've just had a lot better luck with the slimes than everyone else.

Sen's Fortress is trash. I need a fucking bow to take out this fucking caster, but I DON'T WANT TO USE ONE.

No ranged options at all? When I first started playing I saw the bow's unimpressive damage and dismissed it. Nowadays I carry one at all times, if only for the purposes of drawing aggro. You don't even need the correct stats for that.

If you want to stay true to your no-bow policy and don't have and spells/pyro, you may just have to run the gauntlet and hope you don't get hit. Might take a couple deaths, though.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
"Disasters are gone after the defeat of the Gravelord Servant"

What does this relate to?
Your world was infected by a Gravelord servant, but he died (either he got taken out by someone trying to defeat him or he died to his own environments) so the Gravelord infection disappeared from your world.

Sen's Fortress is trash. I need a fucking bow to take out this fucking caster, but I DON'T WANT TO USE ONE.
Then don't. You don't need one.

Well, it's not like I can get to him because of these stupid swinging axes.
Er, what? Just cross the bridge while avoiding the pendulum axes and melee him when you're close. I almost always do that. Or, if crossbows or other non-bow ranged attacks are an option, stay on the first bridge and lock on him, then fire crossbow bolts at him.

Once you've hung out in Sen's a little and are familiar with the layout you will be breezing through that place in seconds.

You can pick off enemies with arrows, but it's a lot quicker to run and ripost or backstab them, that is if the traps don't get them first. Let the darts and axes do the work for you!

i believe if your poise is high enough you won't stagger from the lightning? might be worth taking a hit over blocking if you're having trouble with falling.

789shadow

Banned
Well, my Titanite Shard grinding got cut short because both the Crest Shield and the Shadow set need Twinkling Titanite. You can trade moss clumps to Snuggly for that, but does Snuggly have infinite supplies?

Well, my Titanite Shard grinding got cut short because both the Crest Shield and the Shadow set need Twinkling Titanite. You can trade moss clumps to Snuggly for that, but does Snuggly have infinite supplies?
you can farm em really easily after you beat a certain boss (spoiler:
seath
).

my personal ranks for shard farming in terms of speed, ease and fun:
1. large
2. green
3. twinkling
4. regular
5. titanite chunk
6. blue
7. white
8. dragon scales
9. red

on that note, i finally farmed enough scales for the dragon torso stone. it was long and boring and i almost gave up, but i'm glad i didn't. the ghetto wotg is fun. i'm thinking not many people bother because they get the headstone at lvl1 and think its crap, and it still is even at lvl3. the wiki i checked had misinformation on it even.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom