• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I get summoned in the Depths and when I arrive in my hosts world they aren't there to greet me. "Odd", I thought, "Must be engaged elsewhere".

So I go in search of him, only to see that most of the enemies in the Depths are A) still alive, and B) don't appear to have received the boost in vitality they get during co-op. I figure I'll kill whatever I find, figure the host will be grateful when I find him. I keep looking and...still no host. I notice that the only enemies in the entire dungeon that are dead are the non-respawning ones, the butchers and the giant rat. I then realize that there is no host, because they would have drawn aggro from these enemies and at least upset their usual positions.

So here I am summoned into a completely empty world with no host. I can't use my black crystal and I can't select quit game from the start menu. I guess I just have to quit out of the game from the console.

What the hell just happened?

789shadow

Banned
So I get summoned in the Depths and when I arrive in my hosts world they aren't there to greet me. "Odd", I thought, "Must be engaged elsewhere".

So I go in search of him, only to see that most of the enemies in the Depths are A) still alive, and B) don't appear to have received the boost in vitality they get during co-op. I figure I'll kill whatever I find, figure the host will be grateful when I find him. I keep looking and...still no host. I notice that the only enemies in the entire dungeon that are dead are the non-respawning ones, the butchers and the giant rat. I then realize that there is no host, because they would have drawn aggro from these enemies and at least upset their usual positions.

So here I am summoned into a completely empty world with no host. I can't use my black crystal and I can't select quit game from the start menu. I guess I just have to quit out of the game from the console.

Was the host using Camoflauge?

Was the host using Camoflauge?

Hah, I actually considered that and went around hitting every tall sludge mound I saw, but nope. I can think of no way the host could have been hiding in the dungeon without upsetting the enemy placement somewhat. If by some small chance they actually were hiding I'm not sure what their end-game was.

If this was a disconnection it didn't behave like normal disconnections. Typically I'll see the host and enemies freeze and become non-responsive, but everything in this world was moving around and actively pursued me.

Amaron

Banned
Hah, I actually considered that and went around hitting every tall sludge mound I saw, but nope. I can think of no way the host could have been hiding in the dungeon without upsetting the enemy placement somewhat. If by some small chance they actually were hiding I'm not sure what their end-game was.

If this was a disconnection it didn't behave like normal disconnections. Typically I'll see the host and enemies freeze and become non-responsive, but everything in this world was moving around and actively pursued me.

Host was quite possibly hiding somewhere. Did you get summoned near the bonfire? If so, then was the deprived holding a torch in front of the door still alive?

Host was quite possibly hiding somewhere. Did you get summoned near the bonfire? If so, then was the deprived holding a torch in front of the door still alive?

Yep, the only enemies missing were the non-respawning ones (2 butchers, giant rat). If this guy was alive he would have had to upset them. I should have just been able to black crystal out of there too, but the "use item" command for it was crossed out.

I've consulted a list of known bugs and I can't find anything like this. Weird.

Amaron

Banned
Yep, the only enemies missing were the non-respawning ones (2 butchers, giant rat). If this guy was alive he would have had to upset them. I should have just been able to black crystal out of there too, but the "use item" command for it was crossed out.

I've consulted a list of known bugs and I can't find anything like this. Weird.

This... might sound weird, but I have a theory. You went through the loading screen, right? Maybe for whatever reason it failed/host died and spat you back to your world as a White Phantom in a buggy manner. If you used the bonfire before putting your sign down, it could explain all the enemies.

It's happened where you sometimes invade after putting a white soap sign or co-op after invading a player. The online p2p is buggy enough that I think it's possible.

Amaron

Banned
Or YOU WERE THE OTHER PLAYER.

you-think-this-is-a-game-cat-600x360.jpg

This... might sound weird, but I have a theory. You went through the loading screen, right? Maybe for whatever reason it failed/host died and spat you back to your world as a White Phantom in a buggy manner. If you used the bonfire before putting your sign down, it could explain all the enemies.

It's happened where you sometimes invade after putting a white soap sign or co-op after invading a player. The online p2p is buggy enough that I think it's possible.

This sounds most likely. It would also explain why all the enemies had the same health they'd have if I were playing solo. The only real discrepancy here is that all the fog gates were still up leading in and out of the Depths. Is that just a normal facet of being a phantom? Whereby being a phantom even in your own world erects fog barriers?

Or YOU WERE THE OTHER PLAYER.

I summoned myself. Yes. Must be FromSoft's way of telling me that I'm the only ally I need.

Akainu

So the other day I fought someone completely invisible save for an aura from whatever equipment they had. What was that about? I know that had to have had hidden weapon right? And maybe used hidden body. But hidden body only makes you invisible until up close right?

Where's a good spot to throw down a summon sign at the very beginning of Sen's?

Literally right at the gate, though I've never summoned anyone there. You probably won't find much until the boss fog. Speaking personally I wouldn't particularly want to be summoned for Sen's, so I just place mine in front of the boss.

Wolfe

Where's a good spot to throw down a summon sign at the very beginning of Sen's?

The very beginning or right in front of the boss door, I get summoned at either frequently.

Literally right at the gate, though I've never summoned anyone there. You probably won't find much until the boss fog. Speaking personally I wouldn't particularly want to be summoned for Sen's, so I just place mine in front of the boss.

Yeah it basically comes down to if you rather go through the entire level or just do the boss, it's a fairly short level though and I still enjoy running through it so I usually put my sign down in the beginning unless I'm just trying to farm some quick souls.

Booshka

So the other day I fought someone completely invisible save for an aura from whatever equipment they had. What was that about? I know that had to have had hidden weapon right? And maybe used hidden body. But hidden body only makes you invisible until up close right?

there are a lot of hackers out there that have modded the game all to hell. I've seen players that were completely invisible save for their head, some pinwheel mask, darkwraith helm or symbol of avarice head to troll you. It may have not been that, but I've seen a lot of funky stuff out there. If you are playing on 360 or PC, expect some modded characters every so often.

Akainu

there are a lot of hackers out there that have modded the game all to hell. I've seen players that were completely invisible save for their head, some pinwheel mask, darkwraith helm or symbol of avarice head to troll you. It may have not been that, but I've seen a lot of funky stuff out there. If you are playing on 360 or PC, expect some modded characters every so often.
It was on ps3. I didn't think there were many if any hackers on ps3.

Booshka

It was on ps3. I didn't think there were many if any hackers on ps3.

ah I got you, there are a few hackers on PS3, but I dont know if they can mod their armor like you can on 360 or PC. It may have just been a glitch. Fog ring and hidden weapon with certain gear does look really weird though, so it may just been that.

i run into quite a few. i've more luck at the entrance, but i'd rather place at boss. i stopped doing co-op for the full area; lag is ridiculous. had 3 boulders come down rite after another. a lot of wierd crap happens in co-op for me in general, but sens is just terrible. which sucks because solo its actually one of my fave areas.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
trying out a sorcery build and i am not impressed. doing almost the same damage as pyro w/ a 40 int sorcerers catalyst, and pyro requires 0 stat investment. is a 45/50 int with logan a serious improvement or should i just scrap this chara?
Well, sorcery gives you ranged and homing attacks, which pyromancy doesn't, and you have access to useful utility spells like Fall control and Light. I'd say keep it up, high-level sorcery is mega-powerful and much safer to attack enemies with than pyromancies. Not to mention many enemies are strong vs fire and will go down easily (on the other hand, Duke's Archives and Seath will be a bitch without a backup damage type).

Weird. I once invaded levels like this one, but the black crystal still worked. That yours didn't is just yet another random glitch, I'd say.

Soulhouf

A similar situation happened to me 4 or 5 times.
In Anor Londo I was summoned in front of the boss fog, except the enemies were still there and I couldn't see the host. I couldn't go through the boss fog so that removed any possibility that the host was already fighting the boss.
After a moment I started receiving souls from slain enemies so I started killing the ones I encountered going back to the bonfire room and guess what? I found the host struggling against that Titanite Demon.
WTF?
I sent him a message and he told me that he summoned me in the bonfire room. Except I didn't put my SS in that room but in front of the boss's room and for some weird reason he was able to summon me.
The other ones were similar except one case where I couldn't find the host.

So my conclusion is: sometimes the game summons you in a different place in another world and sometimes you literally find yourself in off limit place beyond the fog that separates areas during multiplayer sessions.

Co-op is really buggy, I was summoned as a BP many times despite the fact that I only put down my white SS and it happened to me more than 20 times, among which I was playing with a friend and he freaked out when he saw me as a BP. That allowed us to experiment a little bit with that to see if I was a true BP or not (ability to attack enemies, go through the boss fog...).

thefil

It feels like it cuz you probably die a lot and have to move slowly and patiently until you get the hang of things, but its not terribly far if you think about it.

Yeah, I just finally got through it and now it takes me ~10 minutes to do it carefully.

Izick

Okay, so I made it through Blightown I think? I'm at a point where I get out to the other side and am at the Valley of the Drakes and New Londo. I got a key for New Londo in Blightown, but I didn't fight a boss or ring a bell. Not sure what the next step should be.

Booshka

Okay, so I made it through Blightown I think? I'm at a point where I get out to the other side and am at the Valley of the Drakes and New Londo. I got a key for New Londo in Blightown, but I didn't fight a boss or ring a bell. Not sure what the next step should be.

You missed the boss area of Blighttown, make your way back down and wander to the other side of the swamp. Look for a white mound guarded by Giants.

fanboi

Banned
So I accidently killed Andre... now I can't level up my weapons to level +10?

Tried the blacksmith in Andor Londo... no dice... cant do anything there.

Dresden

Your weapons are stuck at +5 now unless you ascended them before he died. Your only option left for substantial upgrades are either special weapons that are upgraded by twinkling, or the Fire/Chaos upgrades.

PS3 has super sensitive mushy triggers, you can set the controller down or bump it against a feather and they will press. Happens all the time.

I'm super paranoid about this sort of thing. If I'm near an important NPC I'll hold my controller by the handles only as opposed to resting my fingers on the triggers like I normally do.

Yeah fanboi, looks like you just introduced yourself to the fascinating world of fire/chaos weapons! Certainly nothing bad about that, but it sucks to have the choice taken out of your hands.

So Dark Souls GAF I ask you a question. I have finally managed to update Dark Souls (thanks PS+) and so can now download and play the DLC. Should I start a new character (and if so what class) or go back to my old one at the start of New Game+ (just about to take on the Capra Demon)

Soulhouf

PS3 has super sensitive mushy triggers, you can set the controller down or bump it against a feather and they will press. Happens all the time.

I always equip a bow when I talk to NPCs because of this. It's a very effective way to avoid hitting them by accidentally pressing the R2 trigger.

Arjen

So Dark Souls GAF I ask you a question. I have finally managed to update Dark Souls (thanks PS+) and so can now download and play the DLC. Should I start a new character (and if so what class) or go back to my old one at the start of New Game+ (just about to take on the Capra Demon)

I would start a new character, the dlc is pretty tough, especially on ng+. And you'll be at Capra in no time anyway.

Is it on the same side with the bonfire?
Come out the bonfire area, look right, walk past the wheel lift right to the end.

Make sure you turn human before fighting the Blighttown boss
There is an NPC invader who drops a unique weapon and a nice little chunk of souls/humanity too. And then you can also summon them to help with the boss - You can't be invaded in an area after the boss is dead, so it's your only chance, there are a few other NPC invaders in the game too.

Oh that is bad luck! But for future reference, you didn't have to kill him - you could run away and then absolve your sins with Oswald in the Gargoyles belltower and it would've de-aggro'd Andre.

You can still make fire and chaos weapons as well, they only need normal +5 to turn into fire weapons.

Booshka

Do both. If you don't want to do that, start a new character and level your Intelligence to at least 16 to check out most of the new magic from the DLC, and 32 INT if you want to see the last strong spell. Also level your Strength to at least 20 and Dex to 25 to be able use most of the new weapons in the DLC.

The DLC bosses are very tough on NG+, so you might struggle against them, probably best to start fresh and rush to DLC.

Do both. If you don't want to do that, start a new character and level your Intelligence to at least 16 to check out most of the new magic from the DLC, and 32 INT if you want to see the last strong spell. Also level your Strength to at least 20 and Dex to 25 to be able use most of the new weapons in the DLC.

The DLC bosses are very tough on NG+, so you might struggle against them, probably best to start fresh and rush to DLC.

True. I was thinking Pyromancer this time because I was very melee focused last time? Or would a different class be better?

ArynCrinn

Banned
Man, ENB rules with no upgrades really sucks, I'm at Capra right now on my Warrior SL4 char, but I imagine Stray Demon will take 15 minutes to kill...

Somebody should really make a Hunter char, and bump up DEX to 16, and kill Stray Demon with the Notched Whip. That would be awesome!

Fuck this boss.
Quelaag?

1. Don't lock on (this is general advice for most bosses - they're big, you don't need to)
2. Try to keep an eye on what the woman part is doing - her movement gives clues as to when those big AoE explosions are coming. Stay to the sides of her or at least keep moving after a few hits.
3. Don't get cornered, watch the lava.

Izick

I beat the boss before checking the tips, it was pretty tough but finally did it.

NOW WHY THE HELL IS THE LADY AT FIRELINK THAT REINFORCES THE FLASKS DEAD!?

EDIT: Wait, everybody seems to be gone except the knight by the bonfire.

I beat the boss before checking the tips, it was pretty tough but finally did it.

NOW WHY THE HELL IS THE LADY AT FIRELINK THAT REINFORCES THE FLASKS DEAD!?

EDIT: Wait, everybody seems to be gone except the knight by the bonfire.

Events unfold...who else is missing? Anyone with a connection to the Firekeeper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom