• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanspeed

Banned
I hope they make the weapon/shield/magic HUD smaller in Dark Souls 2. Its needlessly big as it is.

They should also make the heads bigger. Bodies are really unproportional. Would make some of the armor pieces look a lot better.

Booshka

I have one...I think.

Don't upgrade the Drake Sword, it's a waste of souls and Dragon Scales. You can upgrade weapons to +5 with Titanite Shards with Andre, you only need embers to go past that, Normal and Divine/Occult ascension. Ditch that Drake Sword and start upgrading a normal weapon that has a moveset you like. Try a Longsword, Claymore, or whatever else suits you. Upgrade it to +5, then modify it to +6 with the Large Ember you get from the Depths. You either gave him the Large Ember or the Divine ember(from the Moonlight Butterfly boss).

Wolfe

Quelaag?

1. Don't lock on (this is general advice for most bosses - they're big, you don't need to)
2. Try to keep an eye on what the woman part is doing - her movement gives clues as to when those big AoE explosions are coming. Stay to the sides of her or at least keep moving after a few hits.
3. Don't get cornered, watch the lava.

While I will disengage the lock on for certain reasons here and there overall I still use it each and every boss fight, for one it lets you sidestep and dodge left/right which for me is a very fun playstyle.

As you said though you can definitely play without using it during boss fights if you prefer.

It says no weapons are available for ascension. The Drake Sword isn't upgradable?
ascension is not the same as upgrading.

weapons can be ascended as earliest as +5. only a few require +10, like lightning or boss souls. not all weapons can ascend past +5, which is usually the ones upgraded by twinkling, demon, or dragon scales.

for lock on, i think it depends on playstyle. shield users need to lock on so they face the right direction. rollers can have more flexibility where they roll to while unlocked.

I feel like a dick for how angry I get when the host who summons me dies in a boss fight, even if its for a good reason, even if its my fault for not better engaging the enemy. It's especially annoying when you have bad internet and only manage to get successfully summoned maybe once every hour, if that, and you're trying to save up enough Sunlight Medals to get Great Lightning Spear and leave. It's not always their fault.

Except when it is, in which case I feel no pity whatsoever.

Edit: 3 times in a row now, the Iron Golem is somehow kicking ass tonight. Guys...guys...come on...

Ziek

Just typed this up about an hour ago because I was bored and I'm extremely eager for any info on Dark Souls 2. I think I have an ok grasp of Dark Souls story, but I'm not sure so this might not make sense. Anyways, no harm in posting my hype I guess. What do you think?

The story will revolve around the undead who make a pilgrimage to Lordran. This will allow for a believable multiplayer experience like we are used to in Dark Souls. You will still see the ghosts of other undead on their journey.

Time will be a main story element. An undead who makes the pilgrimage to Lordran only has one life in his or her timeline. Death will result in a fluctuation of time sending the undead back to the beginning of his or her pilgrimage. However, a pendant (refer to picture) is discovered, after the tutorial, allowing the player to "save" their timeline at certain points. These points are rock formations with similar elements that make up the pendant, allowing you to store the pendants power. Storing the pendant's power will fuse the pendant with the rock.

Players may choose to never place the pendant, thus making death extremely costly as it would send you back to the very beginning of the game. Bosses will remain dead, but all traps, shortcuts and keys will be reset. Players who complete the game without placing the pendant will be greatly rewarded. This is basically a hardcore mode. Completely optional.

These points where the pendant is placed will act like bonfires. When placed, the pendant is still linked with your body allowing you to upgrade your stats by offering souls.
To reclaim the pendant from a previous “save” point will require a Stone of Summoning. There will be many ways to acquire these stones, from boss kills, mini boss kills, phantom drops, merchant sales and rare finds. The Stone of Summoning will allow you to summon your pendant to the next “save” point you discover. The Stone of Summoning will have other uses as well like summoning other players to your world. You will also be able to corrupt your Stones to allow you to invade other player’s worlds.

My main idea came from this picture:

large.jpg

got summoned to someone's dark anor londo for pvp, by accident? just laid my usual summon at the bonfire for ornstein co-op. that's the 1st time that's happened over at least 100+ summons. is that normal? it was pretty fun actually. any way to get it happen more often?

Amaron

Banned
I feel like a dick for how angry I get when the host who summons me dies in a boss fight, even if its for a good reason, even if its my fault for not better engaging the enemy. It's especially annoying when you have bad internet and only manage to get successfully summoned maybe once every hour, if that, and you're trying to save up enough Sunlight Medals to get Great Lightning Spear and leave. It's not always their fault.

Edit: 3 times in a row now, the Iron Golem is somehow kicking ass tonight. Guys...guys...come on...

A Jolly Co-operation™ guide:

Step 1)
Iron Tarkus
Step 2)
There is no fucking Step 2.

Just typed this up about an hour ago because I was bored and I'm extremely eager for any info on Dark Souls 2. I think I have an ok grasp of Dark Souls story, but I'm not sure so this might not make sense. Anyways, no harm in posting my hype I guess. What do you think?

All the way to the beginning of the game? There's Dark Souls, and then there's Ghosts and Ghouls man :<

But I like the idea, being able to place your own bonfires wherever you want. But I can see it being abused such as near a boss location which kind of takes the challenge of re-traveling to the boss null.

got summoned to someone's dark anor londo for pvp, by accident? just laid my usual summon at the bonfire for ornstein co-op. that's the 1st time that's happened over at least 100+ summons. is that normal? it was pretty fun actually. any way to get it happen more often?

It's a bug that sometimes happens due to the p2p nature of the servers. It doesn't happen often, a bit rare.

A Jolly Co-operation™ guide:

Step 1)
Iron Tarkus
Step 2)
There is no fucking Step 2.

Not even Tarkus could help someone who starts charging a spell right in front of the Golem's axe swing, or forgets to kill the bomb-throwing giant before stepping through the boss fog.

iron golem is pretty slow for me too. i get summoned much more often at either quelaag or ornstein. you can also farm shards at either place which makes the time go by quick.

Akainu

Well damn. Brute forcing my way through the Four Kings in ng+ has helped me far more than any strategy I could come up with.

Ziek

All the way to the beginning of the game? There's Dark Souls, and then there's Ghosts and Ghouls man :<

Yea a bit silly as I rethink it. There are quite a few people who are already turned off by a rumored "easy mode" so I tried to think of something that would add an extra layer of difficulty, but still completely optional so an easier mode could co-exist.

But I like the idea, being able to place your own bonfires wherever you want. But I can see it being abused such as near a boss location which kind of takes the challenge of re-traveling to the boss null.

I love FROM Sofware's design decisions behind bonfires but I think it should be tweaked slightly so that, while it remains familiar, it also remains fresh. There would have to be some sort of limitation to keep that challenge.

Biff

Alright, so after 60 hours, I beat NG. Thoughts are spoilered below:

So while I definitely feel like I "accomplished" something, and had way more ups than downs in Dark Souls (biggest up being one of the best mind.blown. moments I've had in gaming when I realized earlier on that the entire world is one entity linked together through shortcuts-----biggest down(s) being one of the many combat/camera glitches that double-death'd me)... I'm overall left disappointed with the Link the Fire ending.

I know there is a lot of plot sprinkled throughout the game in weapon info and character conversations, but that ending was so fucking ambiguous. Did I sacrifice myself for any purpose? Is humanity restored to the world? I was crossing my fingers that an "actual" cutscene was coming after the credits. Sigh.

Arjen

After watching ENB's dex weapon video, i gave the Great Scythe a try last night.
And damn, he wasn't kidding, that thing is a beast, fast, high damage, range, buffable and does bleed. It's pretty insane

Alright, so after 60 hours, I beat NG. Thoughts are spoilered below:

So while I definitely feel like I "accomplished" something, and had way more ups than downs in Dark Souls (biggest up being one of the best mind.blown. moments I've had in gaming when I realized earlier on that the entire world is one entity linked together through shortcuts-----biggest down(s) being one of the many combat/camera glitches that double-death'd me)... I'm overall left disappointed with the Link the Fire ending.

I know there is a lot of plot sprinkled throughout the game in weapon info and character conversations, but that ending was so fucking ambiguous. Did I sacrifice myself for any purpose? Is humanity restored to the world? I was crossing my fingers that an "actual" cutscene was coming after the credits. Sigh.

Yeah, but the ambiguity is the best part IMO.
No, you probably didn't restore humanity to the world. Or did you? What does it mean to "link the fire"? Will it turn me into the mindless husk that Gwyn was when you kill him? Obviously I'm being manipulated by both Frampt and Gwyndolin, but have they underestimated the strength of my soul? I like to think my chosen undead has surpassed the gods at this point.

Perhaps you become another piece of useless kindling, another cog in an endless cycle. Maybe the next chosen undead will have to get their asses handed to them by you over and over to link the fire again. Or perhaps you gain control of the Lord Soul within the fire and gain deific status?

Personally I don't believe either ending leads to a happy ending for humanity - either way you're just a pawn for one of the two dueling serpents Frampt or Kaathe in their endless struggle between light and dark. The only question to be determined by the player is if your character falls into their trap or not. You can place the Lordvessel for yourself and bypass them both and acheive your own ends. That's what I like to think, anyway.

Booshka

After watching ENB's dex weapon video, i gave the Great Scythe a try last night.
And damn, he wasn't kidding, that thing is a beast, fast, high damage, range, buffable and does bleed. It's pretty insane

I've invaded a lot more people using it lately, that ENB bandwagon lol. It's a fun weapon, but you can punish it pretty well with parries and unlocked running attacks into combos. I have people spamming the running attack or strong attacks and I just combo them with Claymore for 1300+ damage.

If someone has the dead angles down though it can be really hard to deal with, getting hit behind your shield for 550 damage is the worst. I usually don't even block and just flip roll spam to avoid that shit.

Arjen

I've invaded a lot more people using it lately, that ENB bandwagon lol. It's a fun weapon, but you can punish it pretty well with parries and unlocked running attacks into combos. I have people spamming the running attack or strong attacks and I just combo them with Claymore for 1300+ damage.

If someone has the dead angles down though it can be really hard to deal with, getting hit behind your shield for 550 damage is the worst. I usually don't even block and just flip roll spam to avoid that shit.

Haha, i'm pretty sure, people last night thought the same, me hopping on the ENB bandwagon. I never tried the weapon before last night honestly, so this was a good change to try it out.
Don't know if i'll keep using it, maybe i'll go back to my Uchi, but that's a pretty wide used weapon as well, i would love to bring something new to the table, that makes people think, wtf is he using? But i'm guessing a weapon like that doesn't exist in Dark Souls anymore.

I hope they make the weapon/shield/magic HUD smaller in Dark Souls 2. Its needlessly big as it is.

They should also make the heads bigger. Bodies are really unproportional. Would make some of the armor pieces look a lot better.

I always pick the "large head" body type for that reason.

Haha, i'm pretty sure, people last night thought the same, me hopping on the ENB bandwagon. I never tried the weapon before last night honestly, so this was a good change to try it out.
Don't know if i'll keep using it, maybe i'll go back to my Uchi, but that's a pretty wide used weapon as well, i would love to bring something new to the table, that makes people think, wtf is he using? But i'm guessing a weapon like that doesn't exist in Dark Souls anymore.

My dex/int build uses a painting guardian sword for PVP. I like to think it's thrown off a few people.

Booshka

Naw they still do, if you just make a Quality build you can +15 anything and it will do good damage, then you just have to learn the moveset and get good with it. People using goofy stuff like the Warpick with Leo ring, Battle Axe, and a lot of interesting dual wielding combos. One guy I fought had Zweihander offhand and Gargoyle tail axe, he used that combo for vicious stunlock.

There is another guy who is famous for using the Pickaxe, he uses Leo ring with it and goes for crazy counters, he would also use Karmic Justice and throw Black firebombs. Improvisation and originality is available, just tough because it's hard to figure out less used weapons and get comfortable with them. One of my favorites is just the Longsword, it is extremely versatile and catches a lot of people off guard.

Soulhouf

Naw they still do, if you just make a Quality build you can +15 anything and it will do good damage, then you just have to learn the moveset and get good with it. People using goofy stuff like the Warpick with Leo ring, Battle Axe, and a lot of interesting dual wielding combos. One guy I fought had Zweihander offhand and Gargoyle tail axe, he used that combo for vicious stunlock.

There is another guy who is famous for using the Pickaxe, he uses Leo ring with it and goes for crazy counters, he would also use Karmic Justice and throw Black firebombs. Improvisation and originality is available, just tough because it's hard to figure out less used weapons and get comfortable with them. One of my favorites is just the Longsword, it is extremely versatile and catches a lot of people off guard.

One of my favorite weapons is Dark Sword.
That weapon has an insane speed and stunlock when 2H and the R2 attack is very effective against lag stab since it often catches people off guard.
I'm really surprised very few people are using it.

While I will disengage the lock on for certain reasons here and there overall I still use it each and every boss fight, for one it lets you sidestep and dodge left/right which for me is a very fun playstyle.

As you said though you can definitely play without using it during boss fights if you prefer.
Very much agree, and that's kind of what I meant, disengage the lock on like it's a tool to be used not just a targeting system. /nods

They might've summoned you on purpose for pvp or just as a desperate measure against an invader, or a trick. I'll summon sometimes just to let an invader know where I am.... or where I was.

Sullichin

I've definitely noticed a lot of people using it lately as well. I guess I won't play my great scythe character for a while :p You can tell when people are new with it as they empty their entire stamina bar at once. Its main PVP usefulness is from dead angles. I think the people spamming the running attack are trying to dead angle, but I'm better when I play unlocked with the regular R2 attacks, cautiously since the swing is pretty easy to parry. It's funny because ENB doesn't really ever focus on PVP, I don't think he was necessarily recommending it as a PVP weapon. It's definitely viable as one but it would be strange to call it the best dex pvp weapon when it has nearly useless R1s and has such slow swing speed.

One of my favorite weapons is Dark Sword.
That weapon has an insane speed and stunlock when 2H and the R2 attack is very effective against lag stab since it often catches people off guard.
I'm really surprised very few people are using it.

I did some cospvp as a darkwraith the other day and it worked out really well. I like it too. Perhaps one reason a lot of people don't use it is because on the wiki page it says this:
Much like in most other RPGs Straight Swords are the most standard type of weapons in Dark Souls, having decent damage, speed, stat scaling as well as being light weight.

&#8230;Except for the Dark Sword as it weighs 6 units and deals as much damage as the Broadsword, despite having higher stat requirements. It's unique R2 attack could be used to break enemy guards in PVE but it isn't very useful in PVP due to it being very slow, leaving you open for a backstab.

Not recommended.

Just an example of how the wikis are often unreliable or include unnecessary non-factual information. Not the best sword in the game, NOT RECOMMENDED. Of course you need to rank up in the covenant to get it and regular straight swords are not popular at all in PVP except for the balder side sword.

Longsword is great, I see so many people using BSS but very rarely the longsword. I've been messing around with Demon Great Machete + Butcher Knife in offhand with like 78 poise. It's pretty awesome. The DGM does most of the work, but most people don't expect me to actually attack with the butcher knife or alternate swings. Its quicker swings are great to confuse people and trick them into a 2H DGM stunlock. I love when people try to circle around me when I'm using DGM. Having 40STR/40DEX is the best, so many possibilities. By default I use claymore/composite bow (can't believe it took me this long to use that). Nothing more satisfying than beating a sunlight blade claymore with a regular one.

I did some cospvp as a darkwraith the other day and it worked out really well. I like it too. Perhaps one reason a lot of people don't use it is because on the wiki page it says this:

Just an example of how the wikis are often unreliable or include unnecessary non-factual information. Not the best sword in the game, NOT RECOMMENDED. Of course you need to rank up in the covenant to get it and regular straight swords are not popular at all in PVP except for the balder side sword.

Yeah, I've noticed this about the wikis, too. You can tell when an entry is written by someone who thinks he knows the game so well that no one needs to play using any method other than his. I've noticed this sort of weapon elitism with a few other pages, too - namely whips. "Not recommended" my ass, if you can win with a whip and have fun doing it you're a boss.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Great Scythe being one of the best overall weapons in the game is old news. He should do a series for best weapons, spells and strats for challenge runs. But the Great Scythe knowledge has been known forever. A +15 or +5 Lightning Great Scythe makes the Four Kings a total joke, you can easily close the distance when one fires a homing missile with a R2. Power Within Combined will equal the "Three Kings".

sixghost

So I get summoned in the Depths and when I arrive in my hosts world they aren't there to greet me. "Odd", I thought, "Must be engaged elsewhere".

So I go in search of him, only to see that most of the enemies in the Depths are A) still alive, and B) don't appear to have received the boost in vitality they get during co-op. I figure I'll kill whatever I find, figure the host will be grateful when I find him. I keep looking and...still no host. I notice that the only enemies in the entire dungeon that are dead are the non-respawning ones, the butchers and the giant rat. I then realize that there is no host, because they would have drawn aggro from these enemies and at least upset their usual positions.

So here I am summoned into a completely empty world with no host. I can't use my black crystal and I can't select quit game from the start menu. I guess I just have to quit out of the game from the console.

What the hell just happened?

The same thing happened to me a while ago.

Speaking of invasions, I invaded someone for the first time ever a few days ago in the rotating bridge area of Anor Londo and I could not find the guy. I looked around for like 20 minutes. None of the enemies were dead, the bridge was in the default position. It was creepy as hell. The only place I didn't check was down by the darkmoon tomb. What the hell happened?
I kept hearing footstep noises too. It was spooky. Would a combination of Hidden Body and Hidden Weapon make the host completely invisible? Maybe they were just fucking with us.

Izick

This boss at Sen's Castle isn't really hard, it's just kind of bullshit. It kind of points out the flaws of the lock-on camera pretty hard.

Seanspeed

Banned
This boss at Sen's Castle isn't really hard, it's just kind of bullshit. It kind of points out the flaws of the lock-on camera pretty hard.
Yea, thats why you want to use it on-and-off.

Alternatively, use a weapon that has a wide slash motion so that your attacks dont just whiff right in the middle of his legs.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Yeah's he's extremely annoying on my sl1 run without tarkus the most annoying thing isn't getting hit by him, he's actually fairly easily to avoid but being able to dodge his attacks while rolling straight of the platform, combined with camera issues was just why.

Yeah's he's extremely annoying on my sl1 run without tarkus the most annoying thing isn't getting hit by him, he's actually fairly easily to avoid but being able to dodge his attacks while rolling straight of the platform, combined with camera issues was just why.
don't be in such a hurry. positioning is key so you can bait out specific attacks. based on where you are, you should generally be able to predict which attack he'll do even before he does it. similar to the centepede, the best attack to bait out is his long range slow swing when you are facing his front. its extremely slow that you can just run between his legs without even needing to roll.

many people like to circle strafe behind bosses and monsters in general, but imo the attacks he uses at that spot are the harder ones to dodge given the tight space.

Sullichin

don't be in such a hurry. positioning is key so you can bait out specific attacks. based on where you are, you should generally be able to predict which attack he'll do even before he does it. similar to the centepede, the best attack to bait out is his long range slow swing when you are facing his front. its extremely slow that you can just run between his legs without even needing to roll.

many people like to circle strafe behind bosses and monsters in general, but imo the attacks he uses at that spot are the harder ones to dodge given the tight space.

Agreed. I never use lock on fighting Iron Golem and just weave between his legs. He's only dangerous if you mess up and get caught by his grab attack which will send you off the ledge if you're unlucky.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

I've defeated him multiple times solo, the boss itself is pretty easy the but is still fairly bullshit despite knowing precisely how to do it. Sure I can do it now first or second try but typically what I learned after multiple tries is there's several points on that platform where you think you won't fall off to your doom, but either due to pogramming or it's intentional you do end up falling off to your doom and that's why I dislike. It's not about learning boss patterns or avoiding the obvious platform areas but more it'll screw you over in a way you'll typically won't figure out you've after died from it. It's like blighttown where every single pathway down outside of the wheel is instant, death regardless of height drop, which you only figure out from dying from them.

ArynCrinn

Banned
I've defeated him multiple times solo, the boss itself is pretty easy the but is still fairly bullshit despite knowing precisely how to do it. Sure I can do it now first or second try but typically what I learned after multiple tries is there's several points on that platform where you think you won't fall off to your doom, but either due to pogramming or it's intentional you do end up falling off to your doom and that's why I dislike. It's not about learning boss patterns or avoiding the obvious platform areas but more it'll screw you over in a way you'll typically won't figure out you've after died from it. It's like blighttown where every single pathway down outside of the wheel is instant, death regardless of height drop, which you only figure out from dying from them.

Here's my SL1 Iron Golem run (did it with the giant alive too). I consider him one of the easiest in the game.

Just wail away on one foot, after you dodge a slow swing attack, let him grab you which will activate Red Tearstone. At that point you'll easily stagger him and the fight will be over.

Booshka

Is the ring of fog completely useless in the dlc area? Everything seems to see me from miles away.

They are probably hearing you from miles away. Try lighter armor or wear the slumbering dragoncrest ring to mask the sound you make. Wear the fog ring, and slumbering ring for true ninja mode.

Casanova

Me and my friend are starting to get into PvP a little bit more and I needed some advice from you seasoned Dark Souls and Demon Souls players.

I have a level 115 and here are the stats:

Vitality 35
Attunement 23
Endurance 45
Strength 17
Dexterity 35
Resistance 12
Intelligence 23
Faith 8

Basically, my question is:

What PvP weapons would be most suitable for my end/Vit/Dex build?

I am currently using Quallag's Fury Sword, for the most part. But, it doesn't seem to have enough reach to make up for the dubious amounts of lag found in multi-player on this game..

Any recommendations DarkSoulsGAF?

Is my first "PvP' build looking pretty good so far?

FYI, I sport Knight Laurec's armor, the dark woodgrain ring, Havel's ring, Mask of the Father, and the Grass Crest Shield...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom