• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sullichin

Me and my friend are starting to get into PvP a little bit more and I needed some advice from you seasoned Dark Souls and Demon Souls players.

I have a level 115 and here are the stats:

Vitality 35
Attunement 23
Endurance 45
Strength 17
Dexterity 35
Resistance 12
Intelligence 23
Faith 8

Basically, my question is:

What PvP weapons would be most suitable for my end/Vit/Dex build?

I am currently using Quallag's Fury Sword, for the most part. But, it doesn't seem to have enough reach to make up for the dubious amounts of lag found in multi-player on this game..

Any recommendations DarkSoulsGAF?

Is my first "PvP' build looking pretty good so far?

FYI, I sport Knight Laurec's armor, the dark woodgrain ring, Havel's ring, Mask of the Father, and the Grass Crest Shield...
Disgusting. :p

Quelaag's sword isn't great for PVP because of the split damage. But if you do use it, be sure to have 10 humanity in your counter for max damage. If you bring INT to 25 you can enchant your weapon with crystal magic weapon if that's your thing. What's all the attunement for? DEX/INT builds are very popular, you will run into a lot of players with optimized stats using 40INT CMW on katanas with 40-45DEX. 45DEX will increase casting speed. I'm not a fan of the sorceries in PVP but I really like pyromancy, and it gets the casting bonus speed as well. I love great chaos fireball (for unlocked throws), chaos/fire whip, and fire tempest.
Basically, around SL120 you can do better than having a dedicated DEX character because you have enough levels to bring your INT up for a dex/int build or STR up for a quality build. Your stats look closer to leaning toward a dex/int build. You might have some wasted points in attunement/int/strength, but it's not a big deal. You can level up a bit past 120 and just wait to get invaded in the popular spots and see what works best for you. There's still people at level 200-700 waiting to get invaded as well, but I'd imagine you would get more action if you hover around 120.

Might want to put your stats into this character creator so you can see how different weapons/armor will work out with your setup:
http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/

I suggest more VIT. ~1200HP is pretty low for SL120 PVP.
As for weapons, check out the silver knight spear. It has excellent range and good damage. At fast roll or ninja flip it can be very difficult to deal with. Also consider balder side sword, great scythe, winged spear and the ever popular uchigatana. Take DEX to 40 for the best scaling, and if you can spare the levels and use spells or pyromancy, take it to 45 for the best casting speed. So if you kept your current stats I'd put 5 levels into VIT and 5 levels into DEX, and you'll be at 125. Consider using Ring of Favor instead/in addition to those 5 levels of VIT as well.

Casanova

Disgusting. :p

Quelaag's sword isn't great for PVP because of the split damage. But if you do use it, be sure to have 10 humanity in your counter for max damage. If you bring INT to 25 you can enchant your weapon with crystal magic weapon if that's your thing. What's all the attunement for? DEX/INT builds are very popular, you will run into a lot of players with optimized stats using 40INT CMW on katanas with 40-45DEX. 45DEX will increase casting speed. I'm not a fan of the sorceries in PVP but I really like pyromancy, and it gets the casting bonus speed as well. I love great chaos fireball (for unlocked throws), chaos/fire whip, and fire tempest.
Basically, around SL120 you can do better than having a dedicated DEX character because you have enough levels to bring your INT up for a dex/int build or STR up for a quality build. Your stats look closer to leaning toward a dex/int build. You might have some wasted points in attunement/int/strength, but it's not a big deal. You can level up a bit past 120 and just wait to get invaded in the popular spots and see what works best for you. There's still people at level 200-700 waiting to get invaded as well, but I'd imagine you would get more action if you hover around 120.

Might want to put your stats into this character creator so you can see how different weapons/armor will work out with your setup:
http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/

I suggest more VIT. ~1200HP is pretty low for SL120 PVP.
As for weapons, check out the silver knight spear. It has excellent range and good damage. At fast roll or ninja flip it can be very difficult to deal with. Also consider balder side sword, great scythe, winged spear and the ever popular uchigatana. Take DEX to 40 for the best scaling, and if you can spare the levels and use spells or pyromancy, take it to 45 for the best casting speed. So if you kept your current stats I'd put 5 levels into VIT and 5 levels into DEX, and you'll be at 125. Consider using Ring of Favor instead/in addition to those 5 levels of VIT as well.

How do i get the uchigitana if i killed the forest merchant guy in the swamps?

Yesterday I discovered Twilight Anor Londo. I thought I had seen everything! Wasn't expecting such a major effect on the area from killing that large goddess-like woman. The new boss in that long hallway that opens up seems interesting enough. I am rather shocked I never knew this was in the game, as it's like my fourth time through.

60fps is so nice as well. Making this experience with Dark Souls the best one of all.

Sullichin

How do i get the uchigitana if i killed the forest merchant guy in the swamps?

You can kill the undead merchant in the burg and get one. Or up your stats to use the Murakumo that the forest merchant dropped, as it's one of the best weapons in the game and great for PVP.

Booshka

https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=217803131335968723

My "quality" build. I'm still undecided on armor. How's the stat layout?

If you start as Pyro, Bandit or Warrior, you will save a level. I prefer not to have that much attunement on quality builds without 45 dex, but it's fine if you want to.

The cheesiest armor and ring setup, also probably the most effective would be FaP ring, Wolf ring, Hollow soldier waistcloth, Knight Gauntlets and mother mask (if you wanna look cool, just wear the variety of headpieces around 1.2 weight). Black Sorcerer cloak for your torso. You will be exactly at 25% equip load for the fast roll, with 53 poise as well.

I suggest getting to at least 36 poise for breakpoints, and then wear whatever you think looks cool, if you want more poise try wolf and havel with heavier sets, or FaP ring and Havel if you want to wear a mix of medium light and heavy armor and get a good poise rating that way. Flip ring is still awesome and fun, but not really necessary on Kumo. Also, you can use a lighter shield and get more wiggle room for armor. Wooden Shield, Heater Shield, East West, or any of the Round shields.

Also, if you want a real "Quality" Build, check this one out hehe.

https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=362893391277980181

Booshka

Just started a new game (well I started it 4 weeks ago). Ended up farming over 2,500,000 souls in Painted World. Not even sure why I did it.

So...250 runs on the spear blobs in the middle? That's some MMO type soul grinding.

With all those souls, you should be able to max your resistance to 99 instantly.

So...250 runs on the spear blobs in the middle? That's some MMO type soul grinding.

With all those souls, you should be able to max your resistance to 99 instantly.

Yup the Phalanx, the grind really wasn't that bad all in all since they're just 5 seconds away from the bonfire. Firestorm them all so it takes all of 10-15 seconds to kill them rinse and repeat. Not even my longest grind, ask me about Final Fantasy XII D:

Just started a new game (well I started it 4 weeks ago). Ended up farming over 2,500,000 souls in Painted World. Not even sure why I did it.

Oh my god why did you do it.

Farming for more than an hour at a time makes me want to take a very long break from the game. I don't think I've ever actually farmed for souls before - having little souls on me at any given time is my insurance policy against getting annoyed when I die. I prefer to have little to lose, usually makes me play better.

If you start as Pyro, Bandit or Warrior, you will save a level. I prefer not to have that much attunement on quality builds without 45 dex, but it's fine if you want to.

The cheesiest armor and ring setup, also probably the most effective would be FaP ring, Wolf ring, Hollow soldier waistcloth, Knight Gauntlets and mother mask (if you wanna look cool, just wear the variety of headpieces around 1.2 weight). Black Sorcerer cloak for your torso. You will be exactly at 25% equip load for the fast roll, with 53 poise as well.

I suggest getting to at least 36 poise for breakpoints, and then wear whatever you think looks cool, if you want more poise try wolf and havel with heavier sets, or FaP ring and Havel if you want to wear a mix of medium light and heavy armor and get a good poise rating that way. Flip ring is still awesome and fun, but not really necessary on Kumo. Also, you can use a lighter shield and get more wiggle room for armor. Wooden Shield, Heater Shield, East West, or any of the Round shields.

Also, if you want a real "Quality" Build, check this one out hehe.

https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=362893391277980181

Great advice as usual Booshka.

You know, I'm permanently crippled by my obsession with aesthetics and and my stubborn adherence to roleplay archetypes. I could very well take your great suggestions and be a more effective PVP player, but in all likelihood I'll end up doing a split of 90% aesthetic/10% functional and just find a way to deal with whatever handicap that brings. Oh well, whatever's fun.

Oh my god why did you do it.

Farming for more than an hour at a time makes me want to take a very long break from the game. I don't think I've ever actually farmed for souls before - having little souls on me at any given time is my insurance policy against getting annoyed when I die. I prefer to have little to lose, usually makes me play better.

Well I originally did it to get the 70k I lost being dumb. But I was having fun killing them, I'm weird like that, if the combat is fun enough the grind kind of disappears to me. That and I was never worried about dying to them since the bonfire is like 2 seconds away and if somehow I used all my flasks and was about to die to them I could always run away. And yea I ended up using almost all of the souls on resistance (and obviously other stats) D:

Booshka

Well I originally did it to get the 70k I lost being dumb. But I was having fun killing them, I'm weird like that, if the combat is fun enough the grind kind of disappears to me. That and I was never worried about dying to them since the bonfire is like 2 seconds away and if somehow I used all my flasks and was about to die to them I could always run away. And yea I ended up using almost all of the souls on resistance (and obviously other stats) D:

I hope you actually didn't level Resistance, because lol at that useless stat.

Booshka

Great advice as usual Booshka.

You know, I'm permanently crippled by my obsession with aesthetics and and my stubborn adherence to roleplay archetypes. I could very well take your great suggestions and be a more effective PVP player, but in all likelihood I'll end up doing a split of 90% aesthetic/10% functional and just find a way to deal with whatever handicap that brings. Oh well, whatever's fun.

That's perfectly fine, it's better to look good and lose, than look like an idiot and win (unless you're doing it for the irony). As long as you are putting up a good fight for your opponents and having fun, don't worry about losses. I've seen a lot of unique weapon and armor setups in my time with PvP, and those fights are far more memorable and more fun, than a min/maxed buff build with the typical cheesy tryhard gear setup that people use.

Edit: woops double

I hope you actually didn't level Resistance, because lol at that useless stat.

Yup my resistance is at 70! D:

No I'm shitting haha, I boosted my Int to 55 and upped my endurance, and spent some boosting my pyromancy glove (I really wish there were more gloves to choose from if not only for looks)

Akainu

So about this battle of stoicism. Are you supposed to stand opposite a red cirlce? Does it matter if you are standing in the red or blue area?

Yup my resistance is at 70! D:

No I'm shitting haha, I boosted my Int to 55 and upped my endurance, and spent some boosting my pyromancy glove (I really wish there were more gloves to choose from if not only for looks)

It's debate time, people: Is the pyromancy flame simply a flame in hand, or a glove that enables pyromancy? I hear a lot of people refer to it as a glove, but the way Laurentius describes it sounds more like a falme that you just summon in the palm of your hand.

sixghost

It's debate time, people: Is the pyromancy flame simply a flame in hand, or a glove that enables pyromancy? I hear a lot of people refer to it as a glove, but the way Laurentius describes it sounds more like a falme that you just summon in the palm of your hand.

Would you need to equip it if the latter was true? That said, it does weigh 0.0, so maybe the former is true.

Sullichin

So about this battle of stoicism. Are you supposed to stand opposite a red cirlce? Does it matter if you are standing in the red or blue area?
Yes, a circle represents another player in that spot. No one plays battle of stoicism though so you will be waiting forever.

ssowinski

After being stumped by the capra demon for hours and many levels I finally caved and firebombed him from beyond the fog gate. Must have fought him 20 times and tried firebombing 10 before I realized you aim with the bow and then throw the bombs and look for the life bar to go down. I felt guilty at first but now can again enjoy exploring and dying on my own once again in the depths.

My question is, are there many more times in the game that are that show stopping? Please don't respond the capra was easy and you did it naked the first time, 2 hours in with the broken sword. Are there more unecessarily hard sections or does the rest of the game scale well?

789shadow

Banned
After being stumped by the capra demon for hours and many levels I finally caved and firebombed him from beyond the fog gate. Must have fought him 20 times and tried firebombing 10 before I realized you aim with the bow and then throw the bombs and look for the life bar to go down. I felt guilty at first but now can again enjoy exploring and dying on my own once again in the depths.

My question is, are there many more times in the game that are that show stopping? Please don't respond the capra was easy and you did it naked the first time, 2 hours in with the broken sword. Are there more unecessarily hard sections or does the rest of the game scale well?
Did it my first try. He's easy to cheese, and I don't mean from beyond the fog.

Booshka

Capra is a showstopper for most players, but the whole game is a showstopper if you don't prepare yourself and learn the mechanics. Cheesing Capra is probably going to make you a lot worse at other bosses later in the game, because you learn about avoiding attacks and using your environment in the highest stress situation. Good luck with Smough & Ornstein, if you even make it there.

Best tip for you, level your Vitality and Endurance first, and focus on upgrading your weapons, shields and armor (in that order). If you can't figure out a boss, you can always throw down your summon sign and help someone else. That way you get valuable practice, and don't have to risk losing progress in your game.

ssowinski

Capra is a showstopper for most players, but the whole game is a showstopper if you don't prepare yourself and learn the mechanics. Cheesing Capra is probably going to make you a lot worse at other bosses later in the game, because you learn about avoiding attacks and using your environment in the highest stress situation. Good luck with Smough & Ornstein, if you even make it there.

Best tip for you, level your Vitality and Endurance first, and focus on upgrading your weapons, shields and armor (in that order). If you can't figure out a boss, you can always throw down your summon sign and help someone else. That way you get valuable practice, and don't have to risk losing progress in your game.

I was a day one buyer for both games in this series but still thought that capra was too hard, too early. More so than any other early or mid level boss. Maybe it is the smallish room that you fight him in or his long swords or both.

Ziek

There are a few upcoming show stoppers that can be overcome by careful planning and preparation. There is probably only one remaining show stopper that you can't predict and is unnecessarily difficult.

Just spend a bit more time reading item descriptions and exhausting all dialogue. There are enough hints to let you tackle seemingly insurmountable foes.

Is it possible to miss the DLC? I don't know much about it other than you have to actively work to find it. I wanted to keep the mystery and sense of discovery. BUT if it's missable I'd at least like to know where to start.

Is it possible to miss the DLC? I don't know much about it other than you have to actively work to find it. I wanted to keep the mystery and sense of discovery. BUT if it's missable I'd at least like to know where to start.

It's fairly missable. I can't imagine ever discovering it myself without using a wiki, but that's just me. You'd expect a piece of featured content like that to be displayed prominently, but it's obscured by a few different steps.

Your first stop is the Darkroot Basin; your second stop is the Duke's Archives. Good luck!

Most bosses in the game are tougher than Capra. but few of them instill in me the same amount of instinctual dread that Capra does. Your survival depends on the first 3 seconds of the fight and you never know what could go wrong. A dog could block your path to the stairs - you could climb the stairs and get rushed by both dogs and Capra simultaneously. But as previous posters mentioned, this is what TV Tropes would call a "wake-up call boss" - he's there to teach you some valuable lessons you're going to need to succeed later, namely mob management and using one's environment to your advantage.

The bosses of Anor Londo are really the only showstoppers you have left. After that the world opens up a bit more, so if you get stuck on one boss you can just work on another one for a while. I've heard some people have a hard time with the boss of Blighttown on their first try.

Cheers. Follow up question: As I've played through once before this time I wanted to remain in human form as much as possible. Any tips for that? Or should I not bother until NG+?

Cheers. Follow up question: As I've played through once before this time I wanted to remain in human form as much as possible. Any tips for that? Or should I not bother until NG+?

Farm humanity in the Depths early-game if you want a large supply. You likely won't get any legit invaders until after Anor Londo. I usually stay hollowed in Undead Burg and the Parish because the people invading low-level players there are really only after easy wins.

So I scrapped my quality build for a dex/faith build. All I know about this build is that I want to use a spear and I want to use Sunlight Blade.

https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=436616641727578484

Be merciless! Here are my concerns:
  • Silver Knight Spear, Dragonslayer Spear, or Halberd?
  • Bring dex up to 45 for fastest casting?
  • If I decide on the Dragonslayer Spear, what stat should I sacrifice to bring my strength up to 24?

co-op is my preferred method. you should naturally get 1 humanity at least by the time you get to bell towers. in around an hour of doing co-op you should have around 5-10 humanity. when you reach quelaag, you should easily have 10-15. by ornstein, you should be able to amass 15+, at which point gaining the gold serpent ring and the ability to warp. i wouldn't really bother farming without these two things (three if you include the 10 humanity bonus).

i only started laying down summon signs with frequency only fairly recently, but i notice a huge discrepancy between summoners and summonees. i can get summoned fairly often in numerous areas, but when i want to summon someone else for help there's barely anyone there.

Booshka

Farm humanity in the Depths early-game if you want a large supply. You likely won't get any legit invaders until after Anor Londo. I usually stay hollowed in Undead Burg and the Parish because the people invading low-level players there are really only after easy wins.

So I scrapped my quality build for a dex/faith build. All I know about this build is that I want to use a spear and I want to use Sunlight Blade.

• If I decide on the Dragonslayer Spear, what stat should I sacrifice to bring my strength up to 24?

Don't bother leveling Dex for faster casting, it doesn't really help Faith builds. Also, you can't buff the Silver Knight Spear or the Dragonslayer spear. You are better off using a Pike and buffing that. Use Cleric as your starter class, you'll get the best stats if you are running a faith build. Buffed spears are usually boring to fight as and against, and most players will just wait out your buff, so be prepared for that.

Dragonslayer spear is not a good level 120 weapon, it takes too much stat scaling to get good, and you have to sacrifice elsewhere.

Dresden

If you're going dex/faith the only option there is Halberd.

DSS is pretty bad, and its range is exaggerated.

Amaron

Banned

Well, if you're going dex/faith, then I would throw out the possibility of a Silver Knight and a Dragonslayer since we do not gain any faith benefits from them. (Besides Silver Knight's holy modifier.) Out of those three, I'd stick with the Halberd because you can upgrade it to +15 and it is enchant-able.

Also, you're better off going with the Darkmoon Blade miracle as it scales greatly with talisman magicadjust and covenant level on top of that. I'd add the Darkmoon Talisman as well instead of the Canvas Talisman due to its superior Faith scaling.

Since you're mostly focusing on enchants with the occasional WoG (You vile creature D:<), then I don't see it really important to increase cast speed to max. Keeping DEX at 40 will provide optimal scaling for the Halberd.

I also suggest modifying your starting class to Warrior which allows you to play a bit more with your dex/faith stat distribution.

Not sure how much you really want that flipping, but if you're willing to sacrifice it for more defense/fast roll speed, then perhaps equipping three pieces of the Elite Knight set (assuming +15) and adding the RoFaP and Havel's on top. This will decrease your poise to 40, but as a fast rolling dex/faith, you shouldn't be trying to tank meaty hits anyways and 40 is a decent level for poise vs katanas and whatnot.

The final build may look something like this: https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=348496056663985550

If you're focusing on dex this much though, you may want to look into swords such as katanas or the BSS. But the Halberd's move set is pretty godly.

Of course, feel free to change around the armors and anything else if something I suggest is not to your preference.

Sullichin

Hate fighting flipping spear users.
Halberds work best on a quality build because of their c/c scaling.
Agree with the others that you shouldn't use dragonslayer spear. SKS is good if you weren't going to buff. I'm a fan of the winged spear. Pike will also work well, a DMB pike is a pain in the ass. But honestly you have a lot more options with a regular ol' quality build. The faith is only good for the buff and WOTG, personally I'd rather have better base damage, be able to wield a ton of different weapons, and not rely on the buff

Booshka

Hate fighting flipping spear users.
Halberds work best on a quality build because of their c/c scaling.
Agree with the others that you shouldn't use dragonslayer spear. SKS is good if you weren't going to buff. I'm a fan of the winged spear. Pike will also work well, a DMB pike is a pain in the ass. But honestly you have a lot more options with a regular ol' quality build. The faith is only good for the buff and WOTG, personally I'd rather have better base damage, be able to wield a ton of different weapons, and not rely on the buff

Yep, this all day, I used to use buff builds, but the versatility of a Quality build is great, and you still deal a ton of damage and have high HP and Endurance. Quality builds are especially great if you are good at switching weapons mid fight.

Duh, of course SKS and DSS aren't buffable - I should have known that.

I've had great success with the halberd before, I think I'll use it again for this build. Many thanks guys.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Duh, of course SKS and DSS aren't buffable - I should have known that.

I've had great success with the halberd before, I think I'll use it again for this build. Many thanks guys.

Try the Gargoyle's Halberd too, it's amazing, probably the best "Halberd". Lucerne isn't bad either though.

krakov

The forest on 360 is pretty amazing these days. Hacking gank squads everywhere. Managed to beat a 5000 hp infinite stamina blessing spamming trio with use of the hydra in basin. Maybe I should get the PS3 version eventually.

Booshka

The forest on 360 is pretty amazing these days. Hacking gank squads everywhere. Managed to beat a 5000 hp infinite stamina blessing spamming trio with use of the hydra in basin. Maybe I should get the PS3 version eventually.

Unfortunately Forest PvP is a slideshow framerate wise, and usually very laggy on PS3, at least in my experience. Hackers everywhere which sucks, but I like to try and get gankers to fall off in the forest anyway, so modded stats dont matter.

Sullichin

You probably know this already but the hydra can hurt you as an invader too. Also, try invading by Sif's door or in the basin to avoid being ganked on spawn

sixghost

What on earth is this?

I6Ypa52.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom