• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

krakov

Unfortunately Forest PvP is a slideshow framerate wise, and usually very laggy on PS3, at least in my experience. Hackers everywhere which sucks, but I like to try and get gankers to fall off in the forest anyway, so modded stats dont matter.

That's unfortunate. I quite like invading gankers and the occasional hacker. If I'm at really bad odds jumping down to basin is usually a good advantage. There are a lot of falls around and they aren't as obvious as in the forest proper.

I've still only ever seen a Vagrant twice - both relatively recently and in New Londo - I remember the first time I fell to my death because of it and the ghosts, the second I was off to do 4 Kings with 2 summons - it killed all 3 of us with a homing type magic, I don't think each of us knew what it was because we each went down one after the other, all trying to kill the Darkwraith opposite where Beatrice's sign is - thought it was an invader at first and only saw the Vagrant behind me as 'YOU DIED' came up!

Soulhouf

I've seen vagrants more than 4 times and now that you mention it, I wonder if they only appear if the boss is still alive. Because in my experience I only saw them in places where I didn't beat the boss yet.

Ok. After having millions of recommendations both here and offline, I've finally picked up this and demon souls. I'm still not convinced I'm going to like it as I normally cant stand RPGs as they are plodding and the combat is too slow.

Anyway, any recommendations how to approach a first playthrough? I'm going to using a meele class character but outside of that I don't know what to expect.

I'm playing offline only, I have no interest In the online aspect of these games.

Also should I play demon souls first? Or are the experiences seperate enough to be enjoyed in any order?

Finally how does these games compare to dragons dogma, that's my next recommended title.

Also should I play demon souls first? Or are the experiences seperate enough to be enjoyed in any order?

Finally how does these games compare to dragons dogma, that's my next recommended title.
It doesn't matter which you play first, they're not related storywise, just combat mechanics and design. Demon's is the first game.

I couldn't get into Dragon's Dogma, coming to it from Souls, I found the combat mashy and tedious - Souls is the exact opposite - you run through and mash, you will die, die, die. You will die, die, die any way, but Souls' combat rewards caution and observant play - if an area looks ominous, it's because it is - So hold up your shield and look around for visual clues as to where that gigantic angry dragon is going to swoop down from - it's probably in the direction of the charred bodies strewn all around!

The level design is on a whole other level to most other games. It's challenging, but you are never without the ability and equipment to overcome an area or boss, if you play smart rather than headstrong. The range of weapons is wide, so whatever style you want to play is open to you - slow and strong, fast and stabby, magic, long-range etc.

All in all, Souls series cuts the crap - it's straight down to business of core gameplay, the games have a rich world and backstory, but it's told through design not through laborious, verbose cutscenes.

Can I say you're missing a huge part of the appeal by not playing online though - even if you don't want to engage in PvP now - you might want to later, and you can play online without being involved in PvP but still do co-op and all the messages and player 'ghosts' etc, it's a big part of the appeal.

All in all, Souls series cuts the crap - it's straight down to business of core gameplay, the games have a rich world and backstory, but it's told through design not through laborious, verbose cutscenes.

I think that's one of the things I like so much about the game. It's about combat and exploration in a rich world. It doesn't try to be anything else, and doesn't try to shoehorn any unnecessary (for the most part) elements in. No tedious puzzles, minigames, QTE's, etc. It knows what it is, sticks to it, and does it well.

combat is slow but i think most will appreciate it, even if they prefer faster action games. nearly your every move will require thought and precision. but if you really want to play a button masher style, i'd suggest a heavy armour/poise build with 2h katana or curved sword.

i also think that online is a big part of the game. even if you never do co-op or pvp (i never did either one on my first playthrough), the other things enrich the world imo. feels like your part of a living breathing world.

Thanks guys. I think that even if I don't love the games, they are going to be worthwhile gaming experiences to have.

I think I'll play offline first time round then if I like what I play ill explore online.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
You know Sen's Fortress, yeah? Well, that place can suck my ever-loving testies. I must have died something like 40 times trying to get to the top of that snake-infested, axe-trap spamming hell-hole. Of course, the sense of satisfaction I got when I finally got to see
the view of Anor Londo
made it worth it.

I hereby petition for harder games.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yesterday a friend and I cooped through Sen's using nerfed characters (no elemental weapons, no magic, my guy is a fatrolling whale). Sen's itself isn't so bad, but the Titanite Demons in the basement... OMG. The first two aren't so bad, but the last two in the adjacent room have a lot more HP and defense and hit very hard. We must have restarted them like 5-6 times for each of our turn and we had 20 flasks! Haha, it was worth it just for feeling good about it though. Rest of the level was a total breeze in comparison.

And yes, the view of Anor Londo is gorgeous. If you pan the camera around to the left, in the mountains, you can see a high-perched castle in the distance. That's the Duke's Archives and yes, you can go there later. Amazing.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Yesterday a friend and I cooped through Sen's using nerfed characters (no elemental weapons, no magic, my guy is a fatrolling whale). Sen's itself isn't so bad, but the Titanite Demons in the basement... OMG. The first two aren't so bad, but the last two in the adjacent room have a lot more HP and defense and hit very hard. We must have restarted them like 5-6 times for each of our turn and we had 20 flasks! Haha, it was worth it just for feeling good about it though. Rest of the level was a total breeze in comparison.

And yes, the view of Anor Londo is gorgeous. If you pan the camera around to the left, in the mountains, you can see a high-perched castle in the distance. That's the Duke's Archives and yes, you can go there later. Amazing.

Those last two Titanite Swine accounted for quite a large number of those deaths. I kept losing my patience with the first one (and the Snake mages prior), foregoing the appropriate hit and run tactics for classic scream and spam lunacy. This game punishes me for playing angry like no other.

That's interesting you mentioned seeing The Duke's Archives, it was only till recently (I think I've only totalled 40 hours or so) that I realised that nearly all the places you see in the background are reachable in someway or another. The scale of everything is dizzying. I just wish I'd gotten into this game sooner.

Booshka

You can see Duke's Archives from the Bridge where the Hellkite dragon is. On the side with the door that leads to Lower Undead Burg. Pretty amazing to see it all the way from there.

You know Sen's Fortress, yeah?
Of course, the sense of satisfaction I got when I finally got to see
the view of Anor Londo
made it worth it.

I did this, for the first time, just a few hours ago.
Summoned help, then beat the giant iron boss in 1 try.
The moment I saw the new glorious view, I actually thought to myself, "Praise the Sun."
:)

So guys, I'm currently soul level 81, and I'm starting to run out of ideas on what to spend my souls on. I'm a pyromancer, and running around with a lightning claymore +3 (missing one shard for the upgrade) and some shield. Everything went exceedingly well, just did the DLC stuff without any real problems. Haven't finished the game yet and I'm now on the way to the New Londo Ruins.
Anyway, since I play with a lightning claymore which doesn't get any attribute bonuses from strength and dexterity anymore and pyromancy where intelligence doesn't help either, and having maxed vitality and endurance already, I'm a bit at a loss at what to do next. I'm close to finishing pyromancy as well, attunement is at 19 for the 5th slot.

What I'm wondering, is it worth investing some points in intelligence or faith? And if, what would complement pyromancy better?
I'm actually not too eager to go for either, because both need a "channeling device", right? My four slots are all used, but I could get rid of my crossbow I suppose.

chunk3rvd

Best soul sinker I can think of is lightning bolts from the giant blacksmith. Get yourself a bunch of those and a Lightning Avelyn +4/+5. You'll be spending 2100 souls every time you pull the trigger but it's a fun little weapon and has some good damage output

Arjen

So guys, I'm currently soul level 81, and I'm starting to run out of ideas on what to spend my souls on. I'm a pyromancer, and running around with a lightning claymore +3 (missing one shard for the upgrade) and some shield. Everything went exceedingly well, just did the DLC stuff without any real problems. Haven't finished the game yet and I'm now on the way to the New Londo Ruins.
Anyway, since I play with a lightning claymore which doesn't get any attribute bonuses from strength and dexterity anymore and pyromancy where intelligence doesn't help either, and having maxed vitality and endurance already, I'm a bit at a loss at what to do next. I'm close to finishing pyromancy as well, attunement is at 19 for the 5th slot.

What I'm wondering, is it worth investing some points in intelligence or faith? And if, what would complement pyromancy better?
I'm actually not too eager to go for either, because both need a "channeling device", right? My four slots are all used, but I could get rid of my crossbow I suppose.

Investing in faith and int now seems a bit useless at this point. I guess you could level them up so you can use a buff, but since a lightning claymore can't be buffed that would be pretty useless. I would just use the souls to get a weapon to +14, so you can try out some new stuff.

Best soul sinker I can think of is lightning bolts from the giant blacksmith. Get yourself a bunch of those and a Lightning Avelyn +4/+5. You'll be spending 2100 souls every time you pull the trigger but it's a fun little weapon and has some good damage output

Will definitely try and get that weapon then. Looks badass, and I could use a new crossbow anyway.

Investing in faith and int now seems a bit useless at this point. I guess you could level them up so you can use a buff, but since a lightning claymore can't be buffed that would be pretty useless. I would just use the souls to get a weapon to +14, so you can try out some new stuff.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Is there an overall max level anyway? Currently I think I'm leaning towards faith, so I can maybe use a heal every now and then and port back to a bonfire or so. Problem is pyromancer was my starting class so I only have 8 faith to start off with. Would take a while.

Is it worth putting souls in Resistance at all?

chunk3rvd

Don't spend a point on resistance - it's the only worthless stat. I also wouldn't invest in faith for the 2 spells you mentioned. Homeward Bones are only 500 souls a pop and with 20 estus you should never have any need for heal. The only use I can think of for the heal spells is if you're summoned/invaded into someone else's game since you can't drink estus then but you could still just use a humanity which is easily farmed

If it's between int or faith I would go with int since it gives a lot more versatility. I'm running a faith build at the moment and outside of WOTG I'm not finding a lot of use until I get the buffs which it doesn't sound like you plan on using

Arjen

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Is there an overall max level anyway? Currently I think I'm leaning towards faith, so I can maybe use a heal every now and then and port back to a bonfire or so. Problem is pyromancer was my starting class so I only have 8 faith to start off with. Would take a while.

There's no max level, but most people stop around 120
81 is pretty high, most people finish the game by then, which risks you of getting out of co-op range.
What's your strenght and dex at ?
If you're leveling faith for homeward, you're better of buying homeward bones.
Heal can be usefull if you're co-oping, but it feels like a waist of 4 levels to me.
Short answer
No!
Long answer
Hell no.

Alright, duly noted. Won't put anything in Resistance.

Strength is at 25 I think, wasted some points already, but I had no idea that I wouldn't get any attribute bonuses when I make my claymore a lightning claymore. So there's some levels wasted.
I don't think I've increased my Dexterity at all though. Focused on Strength in the beginning so I could wield the Zweihander, then got the claymore and rolled with it ever since. Then Endurance, Vitality and pyromancy.

I'm considering increasing Intelligence then. If the maximum is around 120, I have probably around 30 or so points left, so I could get Intelligence up quite a bit. Am I correct in assuming that as soon as I finished the game, New Game + starts up? Would love to try that as well. Still haven't had enough Dark Souls yet.

Arjen

If i were you i would level up int so you can use great magic weapon get a 15 weapon and put some more points in strength.

Booshka

Alright, duly noted. Won't put anything in Resistance.

Strength is at 25 I think, wasted some points already, but I had no idea that I wouldn't get any attribute bonuses when I make my claymore a lightning claymore. So there's some levels wasted.
I don't think I've increased my Dexterity at all though. Focused on Strength in the beginning so I could wield the Zweihander, then got the claymore and rolled with it ever since. Then Endurance, Vitality and pyromancy.

I'm considering increasing Intelligence then. If the maximum is around 120, I have probably around 30 or so points left, so I could get Intelligence up quite a bit. Am I correct in assuming that as soon as I finished the game, New Game + starts up? Would love to try that as well. Still haven't had enough Dark Souls yet.

Dexterity increases your casting speed, if you can take your Dexterity to 45 and stay around level 120-130 then I would do that. You'll love the buff in casting speed once you get to it. Then you can use +15 weapons and do much more damage along with the fast casting pyro. Don't bother with Faith or Intelligence, just make another character if you want to try those.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

There is no max level, but if you want this build for PvP, the ideal level to be is about 125. If that's the case, I think Booshka's solution is ideal: raising dex will improve your pyro casting speed -and- will improve your melee as well. It might take a while though, if your dex is only at the minimal claymore requirements (10). If not, then keep pumping VIT for more HP or END for more stamina or armour weight (more armour = more defense and poise which can help) maybe? What are your exact stats at the moment?

Booshka

There is no max level, but if you want this build for PvP, the ideal level to be is about 125. If that's the case, I think Booshka's solution is ideal: raising dex will improve your pyro casting speed -and- will improve your melee as well. It might take a while though, if your dex is only at the minimal claymore requirements (10). If not, then keep pumping VIT for more HP or END for more stamina or armour weight (more armour = more defense and poise which can help) maybe? What are your exact stats at the moment?

Doing a little guess work with mugenmonkey, with Pyromancer starting class, I am assuming he has 40 endurance, 40 vitality, 10 dex, and then he told us 25 strength and 19 attunement. He could easily make a quality build pyro by leveling dex to 45, strength to 27, then the rest into Vitality to get to 125, which would give him 47 Vitality. Actually lucked into a really good build if he goes that way.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeah, Booshka is pretty spot on: 40 Vitality, 19 Attunement, 40 Endurance, 25 Strength, Dexterity 10, Resistance 12, Intelligence 10 and Faith 8. I have pyromancy maxed now.

Had no clue that dexterity increases casting speed ... or forgot about it. That sounds like a great plan then though. I will go with that, pump everything into dexterity, and the rest into vitality. Why 27 for strength?

Edit: Wow, thanks for the builds! I'm not sure I have any of that armour stuff currently, but I'll look into getting some of that. I'm currently rolling with either Havel armour and Havel's ring, or what I recently started wearing is a mixture of paladin's armour and elite knight's armour plus the bellowing ring and the ring of favour and protection. That one worked great for last boss from the DLC.

Sullichin

Yeah, Booshka is pretty spot on: 40 Vitality, 19 Attunement, 40 Endurance, 25 Strength, Dexterity 10, Resistance 12, Intelligence 10 and Faith 8. I have pyromancy maxed now.

Had no clue that dexterity increases casting speed ... or forgot about it. That sounds like a great plan then though. I will go with that, pump everything into dexterity, and the rest into vitality. Why 27 for strength?
27 is a good stopping point for strength because when you 2H your weapon, your STR is ~40. So you can still use most of the heavier/str scaling weapons in the game, but you'll have to 2hand some. Most heavy weapons are better 2H anyway. If you want to use the murakumo I'd take STR to 28 because the 1H R2 is awesome.

Soulhouf

That becomes 40 str when you 2H a weapon.
It's pretty good for what we call "quality" build which uses both str and dex stats for large variety of weapons.

Ah I see, thanks.

Had no clue about the murakumo, but that sounds like a great weapon, especially if I end up with 40 dexterity eventually. For now I'll keep using my lightning claymore, and if I get the murakumo, what would be the best idea for smithing? Just get it up to +15? I might save my titanite slab then to be able to upgrade the murakumo when I get it. Do I keep these slabs for the NG+? Otherwise I best use them before I get to that point. Enough stuff ahead of me anyway.

chunk3rvd

About to start the DLC for the first time after almost 500 hours in Lordran. Terrified and excited in equal measures. Not sure if I should try to stay human or not as everyone seems to indicate a difficulty spike and a lot of invasion activity so I don't know if I want the extra frustration :/ Can I expect much activity summoning people in the DLC areas at SL72 on PC?

Booshka

Ah I see, thanks.

Had no clue about the murakumo, but that sounds like a great weapon, especially if I end up with 40 dexterity eventually. For now I'll keep using my lightning claymore, and if I get the murakumo, what would be the best idea for smithing? Just get it up to +15? I might save my titanite slab then to be able to upgrade the murakumo when I get it. Do I keep these slabs for the NG+? Otherwise I best use them before I get to that point. Enough stuff ahead of me anyway.

Yea, don't waste any slabs on Lightning, +15 everything you can. If you like that Claymore you can revert it to +10 and then take it to +15 for the good scaling damage when you get your Dexterity up a bit more.

Yea, don't waste any slabs on Lightning, +15 everything you can. If you like that Claymore you can revert it to +10 and then take it to +15 for the good scaling damage when you get your Dexterity up a bit more.

Urgh, and just recently got lightning up to +3. Those slabs are way too rare. Alright, I'll consider it. Might get myself the Murakumo anyway, sounds like a great weapon. For now I think I'll keep what I have and if I switch to Murakumo (I hope the drop rate for those isn't too bad) I'll switch, otherwise I go with claymore +15. And thanks again.

Sullichin

About to start the DLC for the first time after almost 500 hours in Lordran. Terrified and excited in equal measures. Not sure if I should try to stay human or not as everyone seems to indicate a difficulty spike and a lot of invasion activity so I don't know if I want the extra frustration :/ Can I expect much activity summoning people in the DLC areas at SL72 on PC?
Yeah that's a perfect level for co-op there, if GFWL is kind. There's one area in particular that is a PVP duel hotspot, you'll probably know it when you get there and see the fog door go up right away. Although it's more popular at 100-120 so you probably won't get invaded that often.

Urgh, and just recently got lightning up to +3. Those slabs are way too rare. Alright, I'll consider it. Might get myself the Murakumo anyway, sounds like a great weapon. For now I think I'll keep what I have and if I switch to Murakumo (I hope the drop rate for those isn't too bad) I'll switch, otherwise I go with claymore +15. And thanks again.

If you are playing on PC, someone gave me a shit ton of titanite slabs and I'm running out of weapons I even want to upgrade. I can give you some once you get closer to SL120.

Or, you can farm darkwraiths in new londo for slabs (and chunks). The drop rate isn't good, but it's better than it used to be. Also, kill the lizards in the great hollow and you'll probably get one or two. There's also another free slab in the DLC
in Kalameet's area
. Don't use elemental upgrade paths unless you only meet the minimum requirements for the weapon. You'll be better off with +15 with your stats.

Easiest way to get murakumo is to kill shiva of the east. It's a guaranteed drop, otherwise you have to farm giant skeletons. Buy his other weapons you want first though.

If you are playing on PC, someone gave me a shit ton of titanite slabs and I'm running out of weapons I even want to upgrade. I can give you some once you get closer to SL120.

Or, you can farm darkwraiths in new londo for slabs (and chunks). The drop rate isn't good, but it's better than it used to be. Also, kill the lizards in the great hollow and you'll probably get one or two. There's also another free slab in the DLC
in Kalameet's area
. Don't use elemental upgrade paths unless you only meet the minimum requirements for the weapon. You'll be better off with +15 with your stats.

Easiest way to get murakumo is to kill shiva of the east. It's a guaranteed drop, otherwise you have to farm giant skeletons. Buy his other weapons you want first though.

Perfect, I'll check those spots out for farming. I got the one
in Kalameet's area already, sadly.

I might try the skeletons first then for the weapon, and if that's not working out I'll go for Shiva. Don't really like to kill off NPCs that I don't have to necessarily, but we'll see.

I feel confident enough now to know what's next for me without screwing anything vital up. Thanks fellas.

Can't believe I never noticed this before but - Are they bugs crawling all over the first bonfire room in the Catacombs? o_O

I never really looked at them before, and as I came out, I noticed the waterfall which I guess I saw, but it never really registered either. I need new glasses.

Can't believe I never noticed this before but - Are they bugs crawling all over the first bonfire room in the Catacombs? o_O

I never really looked at them before, and as I came out, I noticed the waterfall which I guess I saw, but it never really registered either. I need new glasses.

Yeah, the wall is nothing but roaches. Pretty badass.

There's a shit-ton of roaches crawling around the Undead Asylum, too.

ArynCrinn

Banned
The Great Scythe even at base-SL upgraded to +15 tears up Ornstein & Smough. The double R2 will nearly half Orn's health, with Red Tearstone it'll take it down to 3/4. The distance and range on the R2 is really what makes it ridiculous, besides the fact you can double it so fast. The only downside (really for this weapon in particular) is the wind up times. Although the running attack is crazy fast. So far, good base-SL weapon if you can deal with two-handing.

Booshka

The Great Scythe even at base-SL upgraded to +15 tears up Ornstein & Smough. The double R2 will nearly half Orn's health, with Red Tearstone it'll take it down to 3/4. The distance and range on the R2 is really what makes it ridiculous, besides the fact you can double it so fast. The only downside (really for this weapon in particular) is the wind up times. Although the running attack is crazy fast.

Epic Weapon Bro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom