• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally farmed 30 Souvenirs of Reprisal!

God, is there a more terrifying enemy to farm in the entire game than harpies? The titanite demon in Lost Izalith, maybe.

Sullichin

Finally farmed 30 Souvenirs of Reprisal!

God, is there a more terrifying enemy to farm in the entire game than harpies? The titanite demon in Lost Izalith, maybe.

At least you can trick the harpies on the staircase into falling usually. The titty demon in LI can pretty much one shot you with 1700HP in NG+.

At least you can trick the harpies on the staircase into falling usually. The titty demon in LI can pretty much one shot you with 1700HP in NG+.

They're not so bad lv.50+, but if their pouncing attack can still one-shot you it's nerve-wrecking.

And that LI titanite demon. From just loves putting those guys in narrow hallways - such a blatant troll.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Are there any benefits to weapon types? I am a Knight and have switched back and forth between a short sword and a broad sword and I don't see any change it damage. Is there any difference?

Honestly wish the game did anything to explain each stat in the weapon and armour screens. I really don't know what I am comparing.

Looks like this is the type of game where I have to invest some time into a wiki.

Are there any benefits to weapon types? I am a Knight and have switched back and forth between a short sword and a broad sword and I don't see any change it damage. Is there any difference?

Honestly wish the game did anything to explain each stat in the weapon and armour screens. I really don't know what I am comparing.

Looks like this is the type of game where I have to invest some time into a wiki.

(If on PS3) press select on that character stat screen to get a basic description of what the stats do.

And there's really no concrete advantage to choosing one weapon type or another, it all depends on what you have the stats to use, how well the weapon scales with your chosen stats, and the weapon's moveset. Just pick what feels right.

krakov

There are a lot of numbers you can compare, spend some time in the menus and get to know them and you'll learn a lot. As for this specific case, a broad sword has slightly higher base damage and a slightly different move set compare to a long sword. As I recall the long sword has a base damage of 80 and the broad sword starts at 82. No need for a wiki really, just explore what's in the game already.

some info is listed ingame, some is not. shortsword and broadsword fall under the same weapon class, "straight swords". they share similar characteristics, but not exact. easily noticeable is the damage and weight--broadsword is heavier and does more damage. not so easily noticed is the broadsword having more range and attacks slightly slower. most of these are pretty minute differences. the most significant difference is the 1h r2 being a completely different animation.

there are more drastic changes with straight swords, mainly the balder side sword and barbed sword. but if you're expecting a completely different weapon, you'll want to try something of a different weapon class.

in terms of deciding which weapon to use, there could be many factors. generally, you will want to decide strength or dex based, or a combination of both. from there you can decide on a weapon class suited to that requirement, i.e. great axe for str or rapier for dex.

really though, the game promotes exploration and experimentation. for a first chara, just try them all out and see which one you like.

oh, and if you're wondering about the numbers, the first is just the basic attack rating of the weapon, and the second is the bonus you get from the scalers. if you want a simplified comparison, just equip the weapon and switch to the status screen and look at the total attack rating under "r weapon 1". it can be a bit misleading due to split damage and resistances, but can still be useful to look at.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Thanks for the help!

Crazy learning process. Just killed some big metal pig. No clue where I'm going now or if that piece of crap will respawn when I get back to that area though.

Arjen

She certainly does, that bleed is killing.
I just hop around like a mad men really, watch the snow where she is, strike, dodge away, rinse and repeat.

Arjen

Got summoned to a fight with gaping dragon where the dude forgot to kill the chaneler, made the fight way more interesting.

Got summoned to a fight with gaping dragon where the dude forgot to kill the chaneler, made the fight way more interesting.

Almost as fun as getting summoned to fight Iron Golem while the bomb giant is still alive.

From her perspective. What kind of idiot was going to mess with a crossbreed dragon that has a giant scythe that made the gods piss themselves?

Yeah, I've never actually killed Priscilla because I can't bring myself to do it - her items have never been an essential ingredient to any of my builds so why bother?

IMO, when she says "this land is peaceful" I think she means it's peaceful until a homicidal maniac breaks in and tries to murder the world's mistress.

Sullichin

Have you guys seen the new world record all bosses (including dlc) speedrun?
http://www.twitch.tv/vviking/c/2026462
Even if you've watched other speed runs, this is worth checking out. He takes a very different route than a typical black knight halberd/gravelord sword speedrun, partially of course because he has to kill every boss. Sorcery makes pve a joke but still. Truly impressive stuff, I can't imagine how nerve-wracking it must be to do all of that in one segment. He seems unfazed though, commenting throughout and even playing piano while climbing long ladders. Damn.

Mr.Ock

Even if you've watched other speed runs, this is worth checking out. He takes a very different route than a typical black knight halberd/gravelord sword speedrun, partially of course because he has to kill every boss. Sorcery makes pve a joke but still. Truly impressive stuff, I can't imagine how nerve-wracking it must be to do all of that in one segment. He seems unfazed though, commenting throughout and even playing piano while climbing long ladders. Damn.

That's pretty interesting. tbh I'm watching it now and I'm finding it more interesting than the usual bkh 1 hour runs! Also, you're right, I realized sorcery+bellowing dragoncrest ring is pretty OP in PvE

Soulhouf

Pretty impressive (the battle against Quelaag magic lock off, wow) but what bad taste playing such music over the wonderful BGM of Dark Souls :x

sixghost

Woah, I had no idea you could avoid falling into the basilisk area in the depths.

oh god he just backstepped through the giant ball in Sen's.

Metaroo

Lost 40k souls and 4 humanity last night in the Painted World. Held back the urge to throw my controller across the room though, so that was good. This is game is terrible and amazing at the same time T_T

Lost 40k souls and 4 humanity last night in the Painted World. Held back the urge to throw my controller across the room though, so that was good. This is game is terrible and amazing at the same time T_T

The best way to combat such frustration is to level up to the point where 40k isn't that much anymore. You'll earn it back in no time, don't worry.

Yep, you have to hug the left wall like he does when you slide down or you will fall into curseland.

I'm at work so I can't watch - did he go through the hole behind the first butcher and then slide down into the area with Domnhal? That's the quickest way I know, anyway.

ssowinski

Yep. The game is like a bad girlfriend, first you wanna f#@k her, then you wanna kill her, and the repeat.

C0unter

Just got the dlc for the console any one know where I have to go to trigger it?
I've already completed the game so dont worry about spoilers.

Just got the dlc for the console any one know where I have to go to trigger it?
I've already completed the game so dont worry about spoilers.

1. Defeat the hydra in Darkroot Basin

2. Quit, reload, continue onward and rescue Dusk from the crystal golem

3. Summon her once from the shore of the lake (is this step necessary?)

4. In the Duke's Archives, defeat the crystal golem in the room immediately after the first elevator - it'll drop a broken pendant.

5. Return the pendant to the place in the Darkroot Basin where you saved Dusk. A portal will be there leading to the DLC area.

Soulhouf

Haha LMAO @1 King in that run.

Just finished it. It was quite good and it's nice to see someone do something different even if it was far from perfect.

I've seen vagrants more than 4 times and now that you mention it, I wonder if they only appear if the boss is still alive. Because in my experience I only saw them in places where I didn't beat the boss yet.

Kind of a late response to this, but I thought I'd clear it up if you were still curious. I once encountered an "evil" vagrant in the Parish long after the gargoyles were defeated, so it's confirmed that bosses don't seem to effect their appearance.

Sullichin

I'm at work so I can't watch - did he go through the hole behind the first butcher and then slide down into the area with Domnhal? That's the quickest way I know, anyway.
Yep. He also does a jump over the staircase railing in the beginning to get to the butcher faster.
All of the latter boss fights show how incredibly overpowered magic is. You shouldn't be able to kill Manus, 4K and Gwyn so fast!

After over a month, the Four Kings still kick my ass.When I defeated 3, I still had two to contend with. My WTFing cost me the battle.
Try using power within. Or putting on really heavy armor and just tanking it, attacking constantly and only healing if you're low on health.

*Looks at username* You used to have a Yoshimitsu avatar right?

Soulhouf

Kind of a late response to this, but I thought I'd clear it up if you were still curious. I once encountered an "evil" vagrant in the Parish long after the gargoyles were defeated, so it's confirmed that bosses don't seem to effect their appearance.

Thanks for confirming this!

krakov

A few weeks ago I got killed by a Vagrant right next to the sunbro bonfire after returning from a forest invasion. Seem to have spawned when the area reloaded.

Seems gravelord red phantoms will just show up right in your face though. I had them spawn after cleaning out every single enemy in the church and then just hanging out. Shat my pants being attacked by a red phantom beneke (?) knight totally unexpected.

C0unter

1. Defeat the hydra in Darkroot Basin

2. Quit, reload, continue onward and rescue Dusk from the crystal golem

3. Summon her once from the shore of the lake (is this step necessary?)

4. In the Duke's Archives, defeat the crystal golem in the room immediately after the first elevator - it'll drop a broken pendant.

5. Return the pendant to the place in the Darkroot Basin where you saved Dusk. A portal will be there leading to the DLC area.

Thanks a lot,
It seemed like they waned to do more with Dusk when i first played through

i've lost way more than that. once i get to a certain point i start using rings of sacrifice. they're cheap at 5k, which is a small price to pay for insurance. and it's not like it'll break for every retrieval attempt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom