• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the invasion range for the Cat Covenant Ring? Co-op range down, infinite up?
infinite both ways i believe. darkmoon ring is the same.

i've been doing a lot of it. 1vs2 is actually quite fun. getting 1hit by someone 3x your level, not so much. but mostly i like it because there is literally no wait time. the only thing i don't like is people still indicting. i thought forest were the good guys. i hate playing the bad guys so i refuse to join darkwraith. i might switch to darkmoon, but i actually hate buff builds even if dmb is really strong.

Seance

Banned
Lost 40k souls and 4 humanity last night in the Painted World. Held back the urge to throw my controller across the room though, so that was good. This is game is terrible and amazing at the same time T_T

Wait until your in NG+ and beyond, losing 99 humanity and a million souls in Tomb of Giants or getting gravelorded in Anor Londo.

What's the invasion range for the Cat Covenant Ring? Co-op range down, infinite up?

Yes

Booshka

Just wanted to suggest to some of you seasoned Dark Souls players, preferably those of you that PvP as much or more as PvE to a little challenge playthrough called,

Meowcenaries.

NG++(even higher if you'd like) Speedrun

Must be a part of the Cat Covenant for entire playthrough.

Must wear Cat Covenant ring at all times, only exceptions are during Cat Invasions and Boss fights, you can switch off ring to fight boss or invasion with a better ring.

Must stay in Hollow form at all times, no phantom help with areas or bosses, also won't interrupt Cat invasions with Darkwraith/Darkmoon area invasions.

Killing all bosses is a bonus challenge, including DLC, but you can just go for a standard speedrun if you'd like.

During cat invasions you must try to kill the host, you cannot black crystal out and continue level progression, if you do black crystal, you must stay still back in your world until you get another cat invasion.

As long as you see Target Destroyed, invasion was a success, doesn't matter if you, another invader or gravity caused the kill.

If you survive fight, you get your spells and Estus refilled, and can continue where you left off. If you die, you respawn at last bonfire rested at and have to make up your progress all over again.

Amaron

Banned
Just wanted to suggest to some of you seasoned Dark Souls players, preferably those of you that PvP as much or more as PvE to a little challenge playthrough called,

Meowcenaries.

NG++(even higher if you'd like) Speedrun

Must be a part of the Cat Covenant for entire playthrough.

Must wear Cat Covenant ring at all times, only exceptions are during Cat Invasions and Boss fights, you can switch off ring to fight boss or invasion with a better ring.

Must stay in Hollow form at all times, no phantom help with areas or bosses, also won't interrupt Cat invasions with Darkwraith/Darkmoon area invasions.

Killing all bosses is a bonus challenge, including DLC, but you can just go for a standard speedrun if you'd like.

During cat invasions you must try to kill the host, you cannot black crystal out and continue level progression, if you do black crystal, you must stay still back in your world until you get another cat invasion.

As long as you see Target Destroyed, invasion was a success, doesn't matter if you, another invader or gravity caused the kill.

If you survive fight, you get your spells and Estus refilled, and can continue where you left off. If you die, you respawn at last bonfire rested at and have to make up your progress all over again.

As fun as this sounds, I'm at SL 225. Aka, the forest is choking and spilling over with gankers in every invasion. Then again... GREAT SCYTHE WITH INVISIBLE WEAPON BUFF, BIATCCHHHHHHHHHHH.

Booshka

As fun as this sounds, I'm at SL 225. Aka, the forest is choking and spilling over with gankers in every invasion. Then again... GREAT SCYTHE WITH INVISIBLE WEAPON BUFF, BIATCCHHHHHHHHHHH.

The forest is filled with gankers at any soul level, that is kind of the point. Most players do this challenge run on SL 120 PvP builds. I'm about to do the DLC on my current run and I am doing it on a 120 Quality build. I've won most of my invasions and my few losses haven't set me back too bad.

Yep. He also does a jump over the staircase railing in the beginning to get to the butcher faster.
All of the latter boss fights show how incredibly overpowered magic is. You shouldn't be able to kill Manus, 4K and Gwyn so fast!

Try using power within. Or putting on really heavy armor and just tanking it, attacking constantly and only healing if you're low on health.

*Looks at username* You used to have a Yoshimitsu avatar right?

Yes I did have Yoshi, but Jurassic Park 3D has me in dino mode.

Thanks. I'd wondered why the handful of videos I've seen featured characters wearing the rolliepollie armor. Guess I should acquire the set somehow.

Dark magic is the silliest shit ever, I made a try-hard dark magic build, and invading is so much easier than my melee build. Phantoms are almost a non-issue because it only takes a single dark bead to cripple them, and pursuers just break things. And if I encounter another dark magic user it becomes "Who can roll through the pursuers first" the game, when I use dark magic I feel horrible when I kill someone.

Booshka

Dark magic is the silliest shit ever, I made a try-hard dark magic build, and invading is so much easier than my melee build. Phantoms are almost a non-issue because it only takes a single dark bead to cripple them, and pursuers just break things. And if I encounter another dark magic user it becomes "Who can roll through the pursuers first" the game, when I use dark magic I feel horrible when I kill someone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aSCbCUqj64

I've gotten pretty good at dodging Pursuers and avoiding Dark Bead, flip ring helps immensely. I just roll through the pursuers then roll backstab dark bead. Dark magic owns most people though, and whenever I do get caught, I usually get nearly one shot by Dark bead or Pursuers, it's stupid overpowered in PvE and PvP.

I've never tried sorcery builds in PvP, they just seem so boring, there is some interesting tactics and strategies to use with them, but overall it seems like roll around then point and shoot.

Just noticed the little scar on your undead's chest resembles the "swam of humanity" that composes a Firekeeper's Soul. Wonder if that's significant.

Arjen

Have you guys seen the new world record all bosses (including dlc) speedrun?
http://www.twitch.tv/vviking/c/2026462
Even if you've watched other speed runs, this is worth checking out. He takes a very different route than a typical black knight halberd/gravelord sword speedrun, partially of course because he has to kill every boss. Sorcery makes pve a joke but still. Truly impressive stuff, I can't imagine how nerve-wracking it must be to do all of that in one segment. He seems unfazed though, commenting throughout and even playing piano while climbing long ladders. Damn.

Wow. never knew about some of those shortcuts. Awesome stuff

Dr.Hadji

Hey side question here. Does anyone have a link to some of those Dark Souls 60 pfs(I think) animations (a single character against a black background) a poster here made. Thanks in advance.

ArynCrinn

Banned
I find it strange that I just beat the 4K under a no healing/no shield rule set (thanks to Vageta311 for the Homing Missisle evasion trick) while on 2mg of Xanax. I could barely walk or keep my eye's open but I was dodging like a pro.

Used the Great Scythe +15 with Power Within at first, when that ran out and Red Tearstone kicked in I buffed with Gold Resin for a "three kings" takedown. At SL4, two-handed obviously.

Love getting backstabbed before an invader's summoning animation even starts. I sometimes wonder why I bother with PVP with the lag I put up with.
it's worth it. you'll get used to it. the worst are the ice skaters and teleporters.

i usually try to be polite and bow, but honestly ring of fog hide n seek is some of the most fun i've had with the game. i've come to realize that the forest hunter reward is worthless, so i just try to have fun, win or lose. hunting a target for 10 minutes just to land the unsuspecting backstab is so satisfying.

Metaroo

Got past the archers in Anor Londo today. On my first try too. Then I proceeded all the way to the big hallway with the fog gate, and I took down the guy who killed my gatekeeper. Can I ever get his armor set if I kill him in the invaded world?

Booshka

Got past the archers in Anor Londo today. On my first try too. Then I proceeded all the way to the big hallway with the fog gate, and I took down the guy who killed my gatekeeper. Can I ever get his armor set if I kill him in the invaded world?
yes you can
after you kill the area boss and take the elevator up, look around the upper level of the boss room and you should see a corpse to be pillaged.

Even if you've watched other speed runs, this is worth checking out. He takes a very different route than a typical black knight halberd/gravelord sword speedrun, partially of course because he has to kill every boss. Sorcery makes pve a joke but still. Truly impressive stuff, I can't imagine how nerve-wracking it must be to do all of that in one segment. He seems unfazed though, commenting throughout and even playing piano while climbing long ladders. Damn.
I did not know about the shortcut in Painted World, I really wondered where he was going when he didn't jump off the bridge. Don't know if it's as tight as it looks, but it looks pretty risky and similar to the Dukes archive roll, will have to try it.

Great watch, shows how OP magic can be.

A little shortcut I discovered myself the other day was you can get to the viaduct where domnhall is by dropping down from behind, rather than jumping across - I've mis-timed that jump myself a few times.

Kweh

How come Pyromancy : Flame is right there at the start?

Arjen

I did not know about the shortcut in Painted World, I really wondered where he was going when he didn't jump off the bridge. Don't know if it's as tight as it looks, but it looks pretty risky and similar to the Dukes archive roll, will have to try it.

Great watch, shows how OP magic can be.

A little shortcut I discovered myself the other day was you can get to the viaduct where domnhall is by dropping down from behind, rather than jumping across - I've mis-timed that jump myself a few times.

I 'discoverd' that by falling of by accident :D

Man, after playing for so long with 125 pvp builds I forgot how hard this game is at lower levels and shit gear. I started a new game for fun and got up to the Parish. Already been killed by groups of dredglings because I just jumped straight in and tried to pull some moves and they were like lol no bitch. Barely killed the boar with only a sliver of health left and not two seconds later I was shot in the back with an arrow. Dead. The group of rats under the bridge gangbanged me. Black Knights are suddenly terrifying again. Dark Souls is not a walk in the park, even after over a year of experience.

Mileena

Banned

It's kinda sad how easy sorcery and pyro makes most stuff in this game. That's my main issue with these speedruns. Is there an all melee WR time?

Man, after playing for so long with 125 pvp builds I forgot how hard this game is at lower levels and shit gear. I started a new game for fun and got up to the Parish. Already been killed by groups of dredglings because I just jumped straight in and tried to pull some moves and they were like lol no bitch. Barely killed the boar with only a sliver of health left and not two seconds later I was shot in the back with an arrow. Dead. The group of rats under the bridge gangbanged me. Black Knights are suddenly terrifying again. Dark Souls is not a walk in the park, even after over a year of experience.

I don't know why, but I've always felt like this game is a lot easier to get good at than most other games, despite its steep learning curve. I mean once you know where everything is and how the various systems interact with each other DS is a relative cakewalk compared to the other games I play (I'm currently playing Fire Emblem Awakening and it's kicking my ass). I feel like DS is sort of like riding a bike - challenging at first but once you hit your groove you can basically pick it up and play at any time without feeling rusty. I guess that only applies to PVE, though.

I don't know why, but I've always felt like this game is a lot easier to get good at than most other games, despite its steep learning curve. I mean once you know where everything is and how the various systems interact with each other DS is a relative cakewalk compared to the other games I play (I'm currently playing Fire Emblem Awakening and it's kicking my ass). I feel like DS is sort of like riding a bike - challenging at first but once you hit your groove you can basically pick it up and play at any time without feeling rusty. I guess that only applies to PVE, though.

Completely agree with this. The first time I played it took me almost 25 hours to ring both bells. Now I can probably do that in 1 play session, maybe like 4 hours. I still die a lot, but understanding how the game works really is where most of the challenge is.

Completely agree with this. The first time I played it took me almost 25 hours to ring both bells. Now I can probably do that in 1 play session, maybe like 4 hours. I still die a lot, but understanding how the game works really is where most of the challenge is.

I think on starting a fresh character a good summary of my first play sessions is:

Open Parish short-cut -> item suicide runs -> buy out bottomless/repair/modification boxes -> bring weapon to +5 -> Beat Gargoyles -> Beat Moonlight Butterfly -> Beat Capra -> Obtain Large Ember and bring weapon to +10

That'll usually take me about 3 hours, give or take.

Sullichin

It's kinda sad how easy sorcery and pyro makes most stuff in this game. That's my main issue with these speedruns. Is there an all melee WR time?
Most other speedruns I've seen are done with the black knight halberd. Most of the bosses go down very fast still. Not as fast as sorcery but BKH+5 with red tearstone ring will make a joke of any boss (if you don't get hit!). I haven't seen an all-bosses speedrun use it though.

Booshka

I think on starting a fresh character a good summary of my first play sessions is:

Open Parish short-cut -> item suicide runs -> buy out bottomless/repair/modification boxes -> bring weapon to +5 -> Beat Gargoyles -> Beat Moonlight Butterfly -> Beat Capra -> Obtain Large Ember and bring weapon to +10

That'll usually take me about 3 hours, give or take.

This pretty much, I even get the Very Large ember in New londo ruins and +15 my weapon before I go to Anor Londo. I should start doing some speedruns for this game, PvE is really easy for me for the most part, and I already know how to do the blighttown skip and a lot of the shortcuts.

I'm usually more interested in PvP build making and playthroughs with PvP builds rather than speedruns or challenge playthroughs. I might give speedruns a shot though, I already kind of did a NG+6 speedrun on a level 170 character. Beat the game in 70 mins without even really trying, I kind of cheated because I had Izalith shortcut already open because I stayed in Chaos Covenant at +2 rank through playthroughs.

C0unter

So i just killed Artorias and a bit later Ciaran appeared at his grave.I gave her the soul and got the tracers but she seems to have disappeared.Please tell there is a way to get her awesome armor set.

Also Artorias was a super fun boss,really liked his moveset and animation.

chunk3rvd

Just working through the DLC for the first time. The audio in Oolacile Township is so creepy and atmospheric. Loving and hating it in equal measures. The constant invasions don't help!

Just got to the bonfire after the chained prisoner. Should I be using a light source from here on out?

Seance

Banned
Just working through the DLC for the first time. The audio in Oolacile Township is so creepy and atmospheric. Loving and hating it in equal measures. The constant invasions don't help!

Just got to the bonfire after the chained prisoner. Should I be using a light source from here on out?

Not necessary. Chasm is a pretty short area also.
Are spoiler tags still necessary at this point after release, according to forum rules? Or is it just discretionary courtesy?

Booshka

Are spoiler tags still necessary at this point after release, according to forum rules? Or is it just discretionary courtesy?

I usually don't spoiler tag in this thread because it's from the console releases. Spoiler tagging DLC seems fine, and the Prepare to Die Edition community thread is usually more suited for spoiler tagging, but the DLC has been out for over 6 months now so it's not strict. It's more discretionary, if someone that is clearly playing through areas of the game for the first time asks questions, then the responses should be vague with spoiler tag sections for a more detailed explanation.

I'm not going to spoiler tag most of the stuff I post though, only if it's in response to a new player.

chunk3rvd

Was just out of courtesy. Not sure if I want to beat Manus yet as I'm having a lot of fun fending off invaders at the Township bonfire. Made a nice chunk of souls there in the last hour. Think I'm going to carry on till I can max out my Gough arrows before I get his bow

Gywn on NG+ is making me rage.

Anyone have a character around level 123-ish on PC with access to the final area that might be able to help me out?

EDIT: Nevermind, finally stopped sucking with my parry's.

Hey guys,

Finally made it to the new DLC areas, and I'm having a lot of trouble with the Stone Giant enemies in the Royal Woods. I have a +5 Black Knight Sword (not the greatsword, just the standard 1h one), and is doing very little damage to them. Plus I can't stand the speed of the strong attack. What can I replace it with? I'm a Dark Souls scrub so my character is very basic... enough Str to wield the sword, 40 endurance, and the rest into vitality. I'm around SL 57. I'm using Grass Crest shield w/ Havels Ring, and I'm wearing the stone armour set:

bHm.png

Booshka

Hey guys,

Finally made it to the new DLC areas, and I'm having a lot of trouble with the Stone Giant enemies in the Royal Woods. I have a +5 Black Knight Sword (not the greatsword, just the standard 1h one), and is doing very little damage to them. Plus I can't stand the speed of the strong attack. What can I replace it with? I'm a Dark Souls scrub so my character is very basic... enough Str to wield the sword, 40 endurance, and the rest into vitality. I'm around SL 55. I'm using Grass Crest shield w/ Havels Ring, and I'm wearing the stone armour set.

Try using a Claymore or Zweihander if you like Greatswords, those Stone Giants are very resilient to 1H attacks. Try 2 handing your sword and do regular R1's or even better, jump attacks, as those will bypass some of their defense. You dont have to fight them, alternatively, just run past them and they wont follow you for too long. Just kill the tree dudes and leave the Stone giants alone.

Also, try lightening up your armor a bit, keep maybe the leggings and gauntlets of Stone, then wear a light coat and helm, or nothing on your head at all. Try to get to a fast roll essentially and be more mobile. The sooner you get better at 2H weapons and dodging to avoid enemy attacks, rather than blocking and 1h your weapon, the better you will get overall at Dark Souls.

789shadow

Banned
FUCK THESE SILVER KNIGHT ARCHERS TO FUCKING HELL. Terrible, impossible to get past with a melee build.

What the fuck, this game is now favoring the bow and arrow over all else. Fuck this, I keep getting killed by the stupid fucking bat demons right before the archers. Fuck this trash, I don't have fucking time for this shit.

Booshka

FUCK THESE SILVER KNIGHT ARCHERS TO FUCKING HELL. Terrible, impossible to get past with a melee build.

What the fuck, this game is now favoring the bow and arrow over all else. Fuck this, I keep getting killed by the stupid fucking bat demons right before the archers. Fuck this trash, I don't have fucking time for this shit.

So I see you have started playing Dark Souls.

Sullichin

Perfectly possible to get past with a melee character. Just jog up without stopping, ignore the one on the left and roll through an arrow while heading to the one on the right. Don't try to stop and block the arrows. He will switch to sword and shield and you can knock him off/parry riposte/combustion/kill him normally.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

lol

Four Kings down. Now watching my trusty black knight sword deal 38 damage to the armored boar guarding Duke's. Time to get real. Any suggestions?

Also, should I tackle the DLC now? I already took out Sif so I'll miss out on the added/altered cutscene, but is
there anything else I should do before heading in? Which leads me to: Where do I find this next gollum?

You can cheese them with poison arrows from the bottom of the ramp, but REAL MEN would run up to the one on the right.

Four Kings down. Now watching my trusty black knight sword deal 38 damage to the armored boar guarding Duke's. Time to get real. Any suggestions?

Also, should I tackle the DLC now? I already took out Sif so I'll miss out on the added/altered cutscene, but is
there anything else I should do before heading in? Which leads me to: Where do I find this next gollum?

-gotta stick that sword in the boar's butt (unarmored part)
-the golem you need is past the boars at the Archive entrance.
-you can do the DLC at any time, but once you finish the Final Boss and
kindle or walk away from that final bonfire
you go straight into NG+ and can't access the DLC until you get to Archives again. I'd say do it to get some cool weapons/armor there. You can always bonfire warp back to it anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom