• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaxon

I dunno. If you do a playthrough, and plan to fight every boss, you will die once in Duke's.

Well, not necessarily. There's a terrain exploit on the elevator that lets you skip the first Seath encounter.

Anyway. Is that it for Duke's? Dead end? No secret areas or paths to other parts of the world?

Inspect that room with the chests more carefully to find the next area. I missed it my first time, too.

Seanspeed

Banned
This one guy invaded me and decided to head down to the lower area before the duke bonfire and smashed all the furniture for an unblemished battle arena. I decided to help. But channelors kept shooting there shit and he gestured up and I took it as "get those bitches so we can fight without interruption." So I head up to do so and after taking out one, he sends a message: "come down". I do, and he heads to the newly opened area with all the chests. There we fight. After several whiffs and rolls from both of us, I die. No backstab, no healing and I noticed he was two-handing it, so I also turtled my shield and fought him blade to blade. If every invasion was like that, I would never have shied away from going human in my nearly 95 hours with the game. Instead, I get hit with shit I've never seen before with my invader's only goal to spam and exploit stupid shit to get that victory. The guy before the guy with honor somehow morphed behind me for a back stab after I seemed to have a clean, jumping R2 attack.
Cool story, bro.

seriously

And yes, there's more to do there.

Khronico

I'm going to buckle down and finally beat the Four Kings tonight I think. I've never made it past them before, so it'll be a new milestone in my (short thus far) Dark Souls career.

If you can manage to kill each king before another has a chance to spawn, the battle is much more manageable. Granted, it's easier said than done =|

I'm going to buckle down and finally beat the Four Kings tonight I think. I've never made it past them before, so it'll be a new milestone in my (short thus far) Dark Souls career.

I beat them. Since my char is 40/40, I have somewhat low health at SL106 (27 VIT), I went with Ring of Favor, full havel, the ring for stamina regen and used Iron Flesh Pyromancy.

Due to the high poise of havels you are uninterrupted, so I used a fast wep to hack away 2handed and used the Crest Shield to block (most of their damage is magic, even the slashes). Worked surprisingly well.

damn, i'm ashamed i still haven't properly played the DLC.. i basically only beat the Sanctuary Guardian and then explored some but kept dying, so i took a break and never went back :(

anyone wanna help me on PS3 through the DLC areas some time? i'd really appreciate the help and company along the way :) i'm in NG+ and i think i'm level 120. also i have the keypad so i can type fast if we need to use a chatroom.

Booshka

damn, i'm ashamed i still haven't properly played the DLC.. i basically only beat the Sanctuary Guardian and then explored some but kept dying, so i took a break and never went back :(

anyone wanna help me on PS3 through the DLC areas some time? i'd really appreciate the help and company along the way :) i'm in NG+ and i think i'm level 120. also i have the keypad so i can type fast if we need to use a chatroom.

I have a SL 120 I can help with, let me know if you'd like some jolly cooperation.

I can help too.
I have tons of SL120 characters on PS3.

cool, i think you are already on my friends list. you do SL1 runs right? i don't want anyone TOO good to help me, because i want boss fights to last longer than 20 secs if you know what i mean. if i summon you, you gotta have shit gear :p

Soulhouf

cool, i think you are already on my friends list. you do SL1 runs right? i don't want anyone TOO good to help me, because i want boss fights to last longer than 20 secs if you know what i mean. if i summon you, you gotta have shit gear :p

Yes, I remember helping you with Sullichin against Quelaag back then.
I'm way out of practice right now, so it will do I think. I can come naked if you prefer :p

Because of all the Dark Souls 2 news I've decided to start playing this game again (I had lost all my savegames, sadly).

I'm thinking of going the pyromancer/dexterity weapon route. One thing that has never really been "clear" to me, is what I should actually level. Like, in what order should I level vitality/dexterity/endurance/attunement?

Booshka

Because of all the Dark Souls 2 news I've decided to start playing this game again (I had lost all my savegames, sadly).

I'm thinking of going the pyromancer/dexterity weapon route. One thing that has never really been "clear" to me, is what I should actually level. Like, in what order should I level vitality/dexterity/endurance/attunement?

Level your Strength to 14 or 16, then your Dex to 14, then level Vitality and Endurance only for a little while you figure out which weapons you like. Attunement doesn't need to go past 19, you'll have plenty of variety and spells with 5 slots. When you figure out which Dexterity weapons you like and have around 30 vitality and ~25/30 endurance, start leveling dexterity up to 45. Make every weapon you want to use +14 and +15 the ones you plan on using mainly. Raise Attunement as you get spells that you want to use, but stop at 16 or 19 Attunement. Try to get to 45-50 vitality and close to or at 40 endurance.

Start as Pyromancer class. If you want more of a challenge while making your build, level Vitality last.

Level your Strength to 14 or 16, then your Dex to 14, then level Vitality and Endurance only for a little while you figure out which weapons you like. Attunement doesn't need to go past 19, you'll have plenty of variety and spells with 5 slots. When you figure out which Dexterity weapons you like and have around 30 vitality and ~25/30 endurance, start leveling dexterity up to 45. Make every weapon you want to use +14 and +15 the ones you plan on using mainly. Raise Attunement as you get spells that you want to use, but stop at 16 or 19 Attunement. Try to get to 45-50 vitality and close to or at 40 endurance.

Start as Pyromancer class. If you want more of a challenge while making your build, level Vitality last.

Thanks man! Firing it up at this moment.

Phandy

Anyone playing online on PC successfully at the moment?

I currently cannot log in to GFWL at all, just getting a generic 'can't connect to LIVE' message. My friend is getting the same error.
I disabled all my mods (durante's + the connection fix) and it hasn't changed it. Also uninstalled gfwl and reinstalled/updated = no luck.

I haven't had problems before connecting.

I currently cannot log in to GFWL at all, just getting a generic 'can't connect to LIVE' message. My friend is getting the same error.
I disabled all my mods (durante's + the connection fix) and it hasn't changed it. Also uninstalled gfwl and reinstalled/updated = no luck.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=539724
Seems to affect some users.

TentPole

Same here.

Phandy

Yep seems to be that LIVE is down for some. It's just that if you were connected before hand you could stay on. Hence why some of my friends are still connected :/

TentPole

Yep seems to be that LIVE is down for some. It's just that if you were connected before hand you could stay on. Hence why some of my friends are still connected :/

There goes my afternoon plans... looks like I am going to have to do something productive.

If you can manage to kill each king before another has a chance to spawn, the battle is much more manageable. Granted, it's easier said than done =|
I got down to what I thought was the last of the four, and then another joined him and killed me. Shame too cause I probably just had about two more hits of combustion before he would've gone down.

I beat them. Since my char is 40/40, I have somewhat low health at SL106 (27 VIT), I went with Ring of Favor, full havel, the ring for stamina regen and used Iron Flesh Pyromancy.

Due to the high poise of havels you are uninterrupted, so I used a fast wep to hack away 2handed and used the Crest Shield to block (most of their damage is magic, even the slashes). Worked surprisingly well.
Nice, dude! I'm still on my first run so I don't have nearly the same equipment as you, but I think I'll finally get over the hump and beat them tonight. Got close last night. Havel's armor is a godsend for sure.

What level are you? might try and let you summon me
Pretty low, 49 I believe? I got within two hits from beating them last night but I think I might do some quick leveling up today before I try them again.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Hey all, does anyone have a Red Slab to spare/trade? That's all I need to complete all the upgrade paths, but I don't want to start a NG+ to get it. I've tried farming Chaos Eaters and no dice. Missed the squiggly opportunity because the Pyro NPC left before I knew about the trade.

I'm a SL120 on PSN. Thanks!

Booshka

Hey all, does anyone have a Red Slab to spare/trade? That's all I need to complete all the upgrade paths, but I don't want to start a NG+ to get it. I've tried farming Chaos Eaters and no dice. Missed the squiggly opportunity because the Pyro NPC left before I knew about the trade.

I'm a SL120 on PSN. Thanks!

I have a red slab on a 120, what is your PSN and where can I be summoned to drop it for you.

Anyone on PC has a spare Slab? I need it to max the Scythe or Zweihander.

I spent fucking hours trying to get a Slab from Darkwraiths, but alas.

Decided to start a fist weapon only character for fun...well, at least fist only after getting to Andre. No way was I going to try and kill Taurus Demon and Stray Demon with bare fists.

It's pretty fun so far. The dogs in the lower burg are being a huge pain, though...

Fuck yes. Beat the Four Kings. Any tips on where to go now? I think I'll probably try and do the Catacombs stuff next.

Lost Izalith because if you aren't an INT char you will get an item that helps there. I fucking hate using the lantern, up to you.

Oh yeah, beat Pinwheel first at least.

If you do catacombs and beat Pinwheel, you can upgrade your flask to 20 uses. Definitely catacombs. Do you have a divine weapon?

Lost Izalith because if you aren't an INT char you will get an item that helps there. I fucking hate using the lantern, up to you.

Oh yeah, beat Pinwheel first at least.
Too late actually, I ended up exploring Duke's Archives and now I'm at the bonfire that doesn't warp. No worries though, I'm working my way through. I'll hit the Catacombs afterwards.

Also, no I don't have a divine weapon. I'm a Pyromancer, so outside of my Pyromancy Hand (+13 I think?), I'm using a Halberd +4.

Hypron

Oh wow. I have a SL120 character in NG++, with 50STR/45END/40DEX. Up until today I was using a large club +15. It does a shitload of damage (300 base damage with A STR scaling), but it's a really slow weapon. So I gave up on this character a couple of months ago after getting stuck against the 4 kings.

So, while I was browsing youtube yesterday I found this video on "how to become overpowered in 10 minutes". It was about a guy creating a new character and going directly in the catacombs to get the great scythe and ascend it to a +1 fire great scythe. The thing is, I had never heard of that great scythe before. Turns out it's an awesome weapon for dex builds. So today I picked it up, ascended it to +15 and killed the 4 kings on my 3rd or 4th attempt (I got reaaally close to killing them on the 2 previous attempts as well).

It's like a revelation. It makes everything much easier. It does lots of damage (250 base with A dex scaling a E str scaling), it has an insane reach and hits a lot faster than the large club. I can't believe I did not know about it before.

fanboi

Banned
One guy invaded me and I fought a Dark Knight and died like a bitch... (same Knight I have killed one million times over and over)...

He didn't try to backstab me or anything... just stod watching while I died.

Then he texted me with tips and tricks :D

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
I can't seem to summon a friend for 4 kings co op.

It's apparently possible but we couldn't do it even with DSCfix.

Is it because I haven't given the
lord vessel to frampt?
. Trying to become a darkwraith and pvp SL30.

krakov

I can't seem to summon a friend for 4 kings co op.

It's apparently possible but we couldn't do it even with DSCfix.

Is it because I haven't given the
lord vessel to frampt?
. Trying to become a darkwraith and pvp SL30.

You have to drain the water in order to interact with other players, can that be it?

Well, I've made it to Anor Londo with my Caestus only character. It's really fun, and not as challenging as I would have thought. Still difficult, but not overwhelmingly so. Killing things with just your fists is so satisfying...I managed to beat the Stray Demon on my first try, which surprised me. Usually it takes me a few tries on a regular character.

They don't do a ton of damage, but they're fast and don't use a lot of stamina. I've found I can usually spam a bit and stagger the enemy, and then really punish them. At +15, the Caestus does decent damage.

I think the hardest part is no shield. I'm getting pretty good at parrying, though. Finally. I've always been pretty bad at it.

Also, I think Dark Souls has officially become my most played single player game ever. (Well, I guess it's not technically single player. But I'm ruling out games like TF2, etc.) That's pretty crazy to me. I just don't really have a desire to play anything else lately.

Joei

Does the bridge wyvern come back if he flies away? I'm on NG+ and was having trouble killing him and ran to the bonfire in the Sunlight Altar and he flew away. :/

Well, I've made it to Anor Londo with my Caestus only character. It's really fun, and not as challenging as I would have thought. Still difficult, but not overwhelmingly so. Killing things with just your fists is so satisfying...I managed to beat the Stray Demon on my first try, which surprised me. Usually it takes me a few tries on a regular character.

They don't do a ton of damage, but they're fast and don't use a lot of stamina. I've found I can usually spam a bit and stagger the enemy, and then really punish them. At +15, the Caestus does decent damage.

I think the hardest part is no shield. I'm getting pretty good at parrying, though. Finally. I've always been pretty bad at it.

Also, I think Dark Souls has officially become my most played single player game ever. (Well, I guess it's not technically single player. But I'm ruling out games like TF2, etc.) That's pretty crazy to me. I just don't really have a desire to play anything else lately.

Is this on a NG or a +? I've wanted to try an H2H character, even in Demon's Souls, but just never did.

Booshka

Oh wow. I have a SL120 character in NG++, with 50STR/45END/40DEX. Up until today I was using a large club +15. It does a shitload of damage (300 base damage with A STR scaling), but it's a really slow weapon. So I gave up on this character a couple of months ago after getting stuck against the 4 kings.

So, while I was browsing youtube yesterday I found this video on "how to become overpowered in 10 minutes". It was about a guy creating a new character and going directly in the catacombs to get the great scythe and ascend it to a +1 fire great scythe. The thing is, I had never heard of that great scythe before. Turns out it's an awesome weapon for dex builds. So today I picked it up, ascended it to +15 and killed the 4 kings on my 3rd or 4th attempt (I got reaaally close to killing them on the 2 previous attempts as well).

It's like a revelation. It makes everything much easier. It does lots of damage (250 base with A dex scaling a E str scaling), it has an insane reach and hits a lot faster than the large club. I can't believe I did not know about it before.

The internet claims another one. Great Scythe is an amazing weapon, but with your stats (50 STR and 40 Dex) you should be investing in weapons that scale well with both. There are a lot of weapons with C/C D/C C/D scaling in STR/DEX respectively. These weapons will benefit greatly from your stats because they will get high damage scaling bonus from both Str and Dex.

Weapons like the Longsword, Halberd, Claymore, Zweihander, Composite Bow, Estoc, and many others scale up very well with high Strength and Dexterity and upgraded to +14/+15. That Great Scythe is very strong based solely on its Dex scaling, too much so if you ask me. Try out some of the split scaling weapons and see if you like them, as most of them will do more damage at +15 with your stats.

Ever since EpicNameBro made the "Best Dex Weapon" vid Great Scythes have been everywhere, it gets kinda old seeing every 3rd player using it.

Joei

The internet claims another one. Great Scythe is an amazing weapon, but with your stats (50 STR and 40 Dex) you should be investing in weapons that scale well with both. There are a lot of weapons with C/C D/C C/D scaling in STR/DEX respectively. These weapons will benefit greatly from your stats because they will get high damage scaling bonus from both Str and Dex.

Weapons like the Longsword, Halberd, Claymore, Zweihander, Composite Bow, Estoc, and many others scale up very well with high Strength and Dexterity and upgraded to +14/+15. That Great Scythe is very strong based solely on its Dex scaling, too much so if you ask me. Try out some of the split scaling weapons and see if you like them, as most of them will do more damage at +15 with your stats.

Ever since EpicNameBro made the "Best Dex Weapon" vid Great Scythes have been everywhere, it gets kinda old seeing every 3rd player using it.

I killed 4 kings on my 2nd try with a level 9 character using a Quelaag's +5.

Saying you should use X weapon with Y stats is so pointless if not doing PvP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom