• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Booshka

I killed 4 kings on my 2nd try with a level 9 character using a Quelaag's +5.

Saying you should use X weapon with Y stats is so pointless if not doing PvP.

He can do whatever he wants, just a suggestion.

4 kings is a DPS race anyway, so the quicker dex weapons usually are best for the fight. But, since he has such high strength and dex stats, I think he could enjoy a lot more types of weapons. Literally anything will do good damage with those high of stats at +15.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Where? :)

You could try signing out and signing in again to restart the P2P-pool. And I guess I don't need to ask you're human and you're both in the same level range (+/- 10 lvls +/- 10% of your lvl).

Have you been playing together before?

Oops, read that as "were" lol.

New Londo near the hollows. Sign wasn't even showing up. We weren't having any problems up until there.

You have to drain the water in order to interact with other players, can that be it?

That was it in the end. So 4 kings down on my SL30 darkwraith :D

Joei

He can do whatever he wants, just a suggestion.

4 kings is a DPS race anyway, so the quicker dex weapons usually are best for the fight. But, since he has such high strength and dex stats, I think he could enjoy a lot more types of weapons. Literally anything will do good damage with those high of stats at +15.

Oh I'm not being critical at all, I just think too much thought goes into what weapon a person should use with certain stats. Whatever weapon he looked up and feels the need that he should have been using, I think, was "proven" wrong with your post, and I was just trying to add to that. I totally get that with more str or dex or a combo of both, there are weapons and equipment to build off those attributes. But at the end of the day, for a person to say, "I'm SLXXX with 40 STR, I should have been using this weapon and not that one..." well, this game can be beaten with damn near no level using whatever weapon you can wield.

However, when you deal in PvP, then I do think much more care should be used when allocating stats for what armor you want to wear. Again, sorry if I was interpreted as being critical to you, I wasn't.

Hypron

The internet claims another one. Great Scythe is an amazing weapon, but with your stats (50 STR and 40 Dex) you should be investing in weapons that scale well with both. There are a lot of weapons with C/C D/C C/D scaling in STR/DEX respectively. These weapons will benefit greatly from your stats because they will get high damage scaling bonus from both Str and Dex.

Weapons like the Longsword, Halberd, Claymore, Zweihander, Composite Bow, Estoc, and many others scale up very well with high Strength and Dexterity and upgraded to +14/+15. That Great Scythe is very strong based solely on its Dex scaling, too much so if you ask me. Try out some of the split scaling weapons and see if you like them, as most of them will do more damage at +15 with your stats.

Ever since EpicNameBro made the "Best Dex Weapon" vid Great Scythes have been everywhere, it gets kinda old seeing every 3rd player using it.

I've already tried quite a few heavy weapons (I've got plenty of smaller weapons, but I find these hard to use against the 4 kings) that'd scale well with my stats but in most of the cases I just did not really like the weapon's moveset... Although, i haven't played with this character in quite a while, so maybe my opinion would be a bit different now. I'll try a couple of them when I've got the time :)

Joei

I've already tried quite a few heavy weapons (I've got plenty of smaller weapons, but I find these hard to use against the 4 kings) that'd scale well with my stats but in most of the cases I just did not really like the weapon's moveset... Although, i haven't played with this character in quite a while, so maybe my opinion would be a bit different now. I'll try a couple of them when I've got the time :)

If you're still having trouble with 4 Kings, I'd suggest something fast like he said. Especially at that level, if you rush in with a Fire Dagger+, or in my case I used a Quelaag's +5, then you should be able to deal enough damage quick enough for the fight.

Summoned a couple of phantoms and killed O&S with my Caestus-only character. Most of the bosses haven't been too difficult, but I did not want to face them alone without a shield.

I want to try a bit of PVP just to see how badly I fail. Haha. The only way I see myself winning is with some pro-parrying. Which I just can't seem to pull off in PVP.

Giantdad

great way to start out in PVP until you get good. :p

I'm currently invading with an SL30 :D

I've done quite a bit of PVP with other builds (although I'm bad with those too...). The one I've had somewhat decent success with was my strength, Demon's Greataxe build.

Haven't tried a Giantdad build at all, though.

Playing the game today, and I'm once again very impressed by the quality of the voice acting. It's really some of the best I've seen in gaming. It probably helps that there isn't a ton of it, so I'm assuming they could more easily afford better performances. And really put a lot of effort into each line of dialogue.

The Crestfallen Merchant is my favorite.

You won't stand a chance. You'll be eaten alive. But, go along, if you wish. If only to deepen your despair.

Gonna start a DLC run tonight, yo; haven't played the game in 6 months (have only gone through once :S) and I feel as if I've forgotten everything. As of right now, I'd say my guts are 40% excitement, 50% fear/trepidation and 10% food stuffs.

ANY TIPS?!

Booshka

Gonna start a DLC run tonight, yo; haven't played the game in 6 months (have only gone through once :S) and I feel as if I've forgotten everything. As of right now, I'd say my guts are 40% excitement, 50% fear/trepidation and 10% food stuffs.

ANY TIPS?!

Prepare to Die

Dresden

ANY TIPS?!

hope you don't like elemental weapons

Hypron

If you're still having trouble with 4 Kings, I'd suggest something fast like he said. Especially at that level, if you rush in with a Fire Dagger+, or in my case I used a Quelaag's +5, then you should be able to deal enough damage quick enough for the fight.

Don't worry I killed them as soon as I tried the great scythe :).

I have a question though, is there a reliable way of avoiding their grab? Sometimes I manage to avoid it by rolling, sometimes I get grabbed anyway (and it kills me instantly so it's kinda annoying).

I entered New Londo Ruins today, and when I got to the part at the beginning just prior to the 2 Transient Curses, a guy with a sword and shield came running up to me and attacked. He wasn't another player, because he looked normal. I didn't see anything about an attacker there in the wiki or in any of the vids I watched. Any idea who this was? He went down pretty easily, with a few good hits from my lightning halberd +2.

Arjen

I entered New Londo Ruins today, and when I got to the part at the beginning just prior to the 2 Transient Curses, a guy with a sword and shield came running up to me and attacked. He wasn't another player, because he looked normal. I didn't see anything about an attacker there in the wiki or in any of the vids I watched. Any idea who this was? He went down pretty easily, with a few good hits from my lightning halberd +2.

Crestfallen warrior from Firelink.

Soulhouf

Don't worry I killed them as soon as I tried the great scythe :).

I have a question though, is there a reliable way of avoiding their grab? Sometimes I manage to avoid it by rolling, sometimes I get grabbed anyway (and it kills me instantly so it's kinda annoying).

The best way I found to do it is roll to the right when they start the motion.
It's easier than rolling to any other direction I think. Rolling to the back will get you caught in the sucking up flow and it's hard to avoid it that way.

Hypron

The best way I found to do it is roll to the right when they start the motion.
It's easier than rolling to any other direction I think. Rolling to the back will get you caught in the sucking up flow and it's hard to avoid it that way.

Okay, thanks :) I'll try that next time I fight them.

I've read online that the dark hand completely cancels the grab though, but I didn't manage to find any concrete proof. Is that just a rumor?

dosh

ANY TIPS?!

If your character has a good INT stat, I'd suggest grabbing all the dark sorceries. I started a INT character last week (my first, since I usually go melee with a great scythe or a zwei) and I'm amazed at the damages dealt by the pursuers and dark beads.

On another topic, I've played with a friend through most of a playthrough recently, and we killed the Four Kings without the fourth showing up. I didn't know this was even possible. That was kind of funny.

Soulhouf

On another topic, I've played with a friend through most of a playthrough recently, and we killed the Four Kings without the fourth showing up. I didn't know this was even possible. That was kind of funny.

You can fight only one if you do enough damage, which is possible with sorcery.

@Seance: PS3 as well? I was away for a while now...

Aguirre

dang it, onion armor in sens fortress now wont acknowledge me. i swear im this close to killing him if he doesnt respond to me. ughh ggrrr

Syril

Does the strength bonus you get from wielding two-handed round down or up from your current? If a Black Knight Greatsword requires 32, do you need 21 or 22?

gl0w

Hi GAF!

I Just received my copy of Dark Souls PTD Edition for PS3, and well, I have played Demon souls, but never finished it, so, please give me some tips how to start playing Dark Souls, what is the best class for begginers?

Thanks!

Hi GAF!

I Just received my copy of Dark Souls PTD Edition for PS3, and well, I have played Demon souls, but never finished it, so, please give me some tips how to start playing Dark Souls, what is the best class for begginers?

Thanks!

Class doesn't matter too much, except for low level runs. The only thing that differentiates the classes is what gear they start off with, and what their beginning stats are. After a few hours you can take any class in any direction.

But certain classes will make it easier to start out with, depending on how you want to play. If you're looking to do some sort of magic based build, go with a sorcerer or cleric. If fire interests you, go with pyromancy. And choose any of the others if you want to go mainly melee.

However, it doesn't matter too much. If you, for instance, choose a warrior but later decide you want to go with magic or something, all you have to do is level up the appropriate stats and get the appropriate gear.

Personally, I would recommend a melee character for a first playthrough. But that's just me.

Also, you'll probably want to get the Master Key as your gift, as it makes a few things easier.

Soulhouf

Hi GAF!

Thanks!

-Choose a warrior class.
-Never increase your resistance when you level up, it's useless
-Favor upgrading your weapons vs leveling up
-When you level up, go first for vitality, endurance and the minimal stat for using the weapon you like
-Don't use the Drake Sword
-Read every item description and pay attention to what NPCs tell you
-Have fun

-Choose a warrior class.
-When you level up, go first for vitality, endurance and the minimal stat for using the weapon you like
-Have fun

It's not a bad weapon to use at the start of the game before you get another weapon upgraded. It certainly helped me out a ton when I was completely clueless and hadn't figured out the weapon upgrade system yet.

Still, just get pretty much any weapon upgraded and then you can forget about the drake sword.

gl0w

Class doesn't matter too much, except for low level runs. The only thing that differentiates the classes is what gear they start off with, and what their beginning stats are. After a few hours you can take any class in any direction.

But certain classes will make it easier to start out with, depending on how you want to play. If you're looking to do some sort of magic based build, go with a sorcerer or cleric. If fire interests you, go with pyromancy. And choose any of the others if you want to go mainly melee.

However, it doesn't matter too much. If you, for instance, choose a warrior but later decide you want to go with magic or something, all you have to do is level up the appropriate stats and get the appropriate gear.

Personally, I would recommend a melee character for a first playthrough. But that's just me.

Also, you'll probably want to get the Master Key as your gift, as it makes a few things easier.

I would like to play some sort of magic build in the future, but I think I will go with your recommendation and play a melee one.

thanks for the tips!

-Choose a warrior class.
-Have fun

Understood!
I will be sharing my progress with you all.

Soulhouf

It's not a bad weapon to use at the start of the game before you get another weapon upgraded. It certainly helped me out a ton when I was completely clueless and hadn't figured out the weapon upgrade system yet.

Still, just get pretty much any weapon upgraded and then you can forget about the drake sword.

Simply because that weapon is a noob trap.

I would like to play some sort of magic build in the future, but I think I will go with your recommendation and play a melee one.

thanks for the tips!

Understood!
I will be sharing my progress with you all.

Cool, have fun!

That's true. It would have trapped me, but luckily a friend of mine told me to stop using it after the gargoyles.

Coldsnap

With the multiplayer mod how is the CO-OP? Could me and a friend Co-op the whole game or will one of us be forever gimped (who's ever game they are joining)?

With the multiplayer mod how is the CO-OP? Could me and a friend Co-op the whole game or will one of us be forever gimped (who's ever game they are joining)?

That's not how the co/op works and all the mod does is fix the issues with being able to connect to another player's world.

Ferrio

Banned
So if I had a choice between PS3 and PC version, which should I pick? I already own the PS3 version and it had some slowdown that annoyed me and the online barely worked (this was release), wondering if there's a reason I should pick up the PC version. Is there a bigger community on the PC version and more likely I'll have helpful people join?

edit: Never going to get this answered...

Ohhh man. So my last save was from December 2011, outside Sen's Fortress. Last night I decided ENOUGH. I will beat this game. I spent about two hours trying to make it to the top of the Fortress and never made it. I'm pretty sure I'm really close though! I definitely got closer and closer each time, so I feel like I made progress even though I have no souls to show for it.

About 30 minutes of that was just remembering how the hell the combat works. I have been playing too much Monster Hunter so I kept pressing Y (on 360) to slash and forgetting this was just putting my shield away. Within 30 minutes though I was owning the Snake Heads with the execution attacks from behind. Now its just that last (?) fucking swinging scythe bridge after you pass the rolling balls. I died on that twice.

I'm still using the Drake Sword, because even with upgrading it doesn't feel like my weapons will be that powerful yet. What can I upgrade that I should already have that's better? Or are you just saying its OP this early in the game and you won't learn proper combat technique?

I think I remember hearing about a
Lighting Spear
in Sen's Fortress, and that its a pretty powerful weapon to be using. I'm a little hesitant to look up a FAQ (and I have the hardcover guide, but trying not to use it except for weapon/armor stats) to get it, but maybe I should swallow my pride. I know I'm missing tons of hidden shit on this playthrough (other than the Drake Sword) - I hope that doesn't come back to bite me.

But yeah - I don't remember why I stopped playing this game but I'm not playing anything else until this is finished. So good.

Pissed I didn't get my Black Knight Great Axe from the asshole in the Catacombs, BAH!

Got the Lordvessel after a straight shot run through the Catacombs, Sen's and Anor Londo, gonna take a break and probably do nothing but co/op for a while before hitting the Painted World.

Ohhh man. So my last save was from December 2011, outside Sen's Fortress. Last night I decided ENOUGH. I will beat this game. I spent about two hours trying to make it to the top of the Fortress and never made it. I'm pretty sure I'm really close though! I definitely got closer and closer each time, so I feel like I made progress even though I have no souls to show for it.

About 30 minutes of that was just remembering how the hell the combat works. I have been playing too much Monster Hunter so I kept pressing Y (on 360) to slash and forgetting this was just putting my shield away. Within 30 minutes though I was owning the Snake Heads with the execution attacks from behind. Now its just that last (?) fucking swinging scythe bridge after you pass the rolling balls. I died on that twice.

I'm still using the Drake Sword, because even with upgrading it doesn't feel like my weapons will be that powerful yet. What can I upgrade that I should already have that's better? Or are you just saying its OP this early in the game and you won't learn proper combat technique?

Lighting Spear
in Sen's Fortress, and that its a pretty powerful weapon to be using. I'm a little hesitant to look up a FAQ (and I have the hardcover guide, but trying not to use it except for weapon/armor stats) to get it, but maybe I should swallow my pride. I know I'm missing tons of hidden shit on this playthrough (other than the Drake Sword) - I hope that doesn't come back to bite me.

But yeah - I don't remember why I stopped playing this game but I'm not playing anything else until this is finished. So good.

Pretty much any weapon is going to be better than the Drake Sword if you get it to +10 and higher. Did you grab the Large Ember in the Depths? If not, you'll want to go back and grab it, and upgrade a weapon to +10. If you need more Large Shards to get it there, you can farm the slugs in Blighttown.

You're really going to want a better weapon for the area after Sen's Fortress. The Drake Sword can't even cut Crêpes there. =D

Pretty much any weapon is going to be better than the Drake Sword if you get it to +10 and higher. Did you grab the Large Ember in the Depths? If not, you'll want to go back and grab it, and upgrade a weapon to +10. If you need more Large Shards to get it there, you can farm the slugs in Blighttown.

You're really going to want a better weapon for the area after Sen's Fortress. The Drake Sword can't even cut Crêpes there. =D

Oh man. I have no idea! I last played this game over a year ago. I guess I'll check my inventory for a Large Ember. The idea of going back to Blighttown makes me want to cry a little. Plus I have no idea how to get back there. I don't even remember the quickest route back to the firelink shrine from where I am (at the bonfire in the tower thing with the blacksmith before Sen's).

I know I can upgrade one weapon to Divine (I'm forgetting what it is though). But the stat hit looked huge on that so I haven't done it. Honestly I just forget how the upgrading works. Maybe I'll poke around in the guide book just to refresh my memory.

This is one game that's tough to put down for a long time and try to come back to mid-game.

First though I'm going to get through Sen's Fortress. I know I'm close.

Soulhouf

Lighting Spear

Yep, you won't learn proper combat or even how to upgrade your weapons like that.
Since it's OP in the beginning you won't bother and find yourself stuck later when it becomes outdated.
Like SenseiJinx said, pretty much any weapon is stronger than the Drake Sword if you upgrade it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom