• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way to own Havel is to circle him at under 25% weight burden in a counter clockwise direction. You move too fast at that rate for him to hit you with a club as long as you stick close, and when he whiffs a swing, backstab him.

You can chain backstabs if you can, but obviously it's riskier. Rolling is risky as well--that club has a big hitbox.

I cheesed Havel really bad and just let him follow me to the top of a staircase, wait for him to commit to a strike, then jump off so he falls down too and takes 1/6th damage.

mxgt

Banned
Ok some Qs from my experience.

Why do people tear up for Sif? He is that wolf guardian the tomb stone, right?

Don't get it myself. Maybe because he starts limping close to death but I didn't feel bad because he's a huge fucking wolf with a sword trying to kill me.

Pss: I was farming in dark rot garden and I kept being dragged into other person's games as an invader...how and why does this happen? Thankfully ever time I spawned it said something like host left and I got booted back. Is that due to the who covenant thing?

Are you part of the forest hunter covenant and have the ring you got given equipped? you get summoned to other worlds with it on. Not sure quite how it works though.

Zaptruder

Banned

Why do people tear up for Sif? He is that wolf guardian the tomb stone, right? I mean it took me a bit to get how to kill it. His ring I found helps and is neccessary. I'm level ~50-60(don't really pay attention to this).

Anyways I'm a little lost on the whole covenant thing. Why this isn't explained better is dumb as hell. First of all I used to join them when j found them to get a trophy. Then found out that you "sin" or "betray" your covenant if you switch on the fly. *facepalm* so then I have to pay or repent or whatever at the dude on top of the church and he wants like 30,000+ souls. Yea right like I'm rich.

Ok so anyways I'm more curious if joining each covenant "mixes" up the people that invade you/who you can help via the soul drop thing. Like if you join X covenant, there is more chance a player from Y covenant will invade you? Also if I join Z covenant, I can only help Z covenant members if I put the soul sign as an hollow/dead person?

Btw NPC covenant leaders can help you out if you see their soul sign + high level rank? I saw that sun person being summoned one when I was too and he was glowing gold like aurora.

Don't like to read wilkes for games that I haven't beat so I'd rather ask here. Also I recently leveled my claymore to +5. was that worth it or are the shards meant for more rare weapons? I recently rang the second bell and opened the doors to the forest. Dark Root garden almost completed except the lake boss that seems impossible for a melee character.

Ps: what the hell is up with the tail bullshit. Whoever made that should get fired. Never once I read that in game that a boss character tail means a weapon drop. Um yea I read about it here and got the Drake Sword. So are all bosses like that?

Pss: I was farming in dark rot garden and I kept being dragged into other person's games as an invader...how and why does this happen? Thankfully ever time I spawned it said something like host left and I got booted back. Is that due to the who covenant thing?

These are lots of questions. To answer - convenants are primarily multiplayer factions. If you're not online and can't ask/read up about them, then they really don't matter that much. Sign up to and betray all the covenants you like - some of them give you stuff for joining. In fact. Don't worry about multiplayer too much until you're quite solid with the single player side of things (second+ playthroughs). The main thing to know about single player is that, if you're human, you can get help by summoning phantoms - but you can also be randomly invaded. I imagine you know this much at least anyway. Essentially, been human is to flag yourself for multiplayer interaction. The only exception off the top of my head is to have the darkmoon or forest hunter rings on.

And if you're playing without a guide - which I recommend first time around, then you're going to miss the large majority of the game outside of the levels themselves. That's ok. The details and the depth is what keeps the rest of us coming back. Even using guides, it takes ages to see and do everything.

As for the dark root garden invader thing - that sounds like because you've joined up with the forest hunter/cat covenant. And put the ring on. The ring is what's drawing you to the garden - take it off and it'll stop. Really handy ring for when you want some MP action. There's no penalty for losing, other than been warped back to your last bonfire if you die, so it's a good training ground. Most of the people that go to the forest as human are expecting a fight - it's a popular MP battle ground. Feel bad for the peeps that appear woefully unprepared though!

There's at least one other covenant like that - the darkmoon covenant... except I believe that you can be spawned anywhere to meet transgressors there.

A few of the other covenants focus on coop multiplayer action - preferentially grouping you up with peeps of that covenant that you're in. The sun-bro covenant indicates to some extent, elite player status - their summon signs are yellow/gold in colour. Most players preferentially summon these guys because you're guaranteed a knowledgeable player (you have to be to join in the first place).

Finally, a couple of the covenants are designed to allow you to attack/invade/harass other players more. The gravelord covenant allows you to spawn disasters in other player worlds (stronger strong opponents) - but they can retaliate by finding your marker and invading your world through it. The chaos covenant allows you to buy cracked red orbs - which allow you to invade other player's games. You can find 9 of these per play through, but this covenant is the only way you can get more than that (other than having phantoms invading you and randomly dropping them at your feet).

As far as Sif goes... he's a big wolf with a sword. The sword of his dead friend. Whose tomb you're desecrating. That's it - I'm not particularly moved. It's a big wolf with a big sword. Motherfucker hurts like a sonofa when he hits.

Numpt3

Now I want the game on PS3 so I can join the more active community (my 360 has a faulty tray as well and swapping discs is a chore) but it's gonna be a pain losing my 100 hours character :(
Yeah, I've been getting into the PvP side of things a little more and I'm starting to wish I had got it on the PS3 instead.

The 360 version just doesn't seem to have much of a community (in my experience anyway). I don't want to start over again though :/

CatPee

Yeah, I've been getting into the PvP side of things a little more and I'm starting to wish I had got it on the PS3 instead.

The 360 version just doesn't seem to have much of a community (in my experience anyway). I don't want to start over again though :/

Starting over isn't all that bad. Took me around 45 minutes to defeat the Gargoyles as opposed to 10 hours on my second character. I'd imagine it's the same case for the other bosses.

what's the quickest way for me to acquire like 10-20 humanity? : D

Go into the Tomb of the Giants and keep killing the Skeleton Babies. They drop a lot of Humanity, but it disappears within a second, so just keep tapping the pick up button after killing them.

coldvein

Banned
Go into the Tomb of the Giants and keep killing the Skeleton Babies. They drop a lot of Humanity, but it disappears within a second, so just keep tapping the pick up button after killing them.

i haven't even been there yet. apparently i suck. are there any vendors that sell endless amounts of it?

Why do people tear up for Sif? He is that wolf guardian the tomb stone, right? I mean it took me a bit to get how to kill it. His ring I found helps and is neccessary. I'm level ~50-60(don't really pay attention to this).

Anyways I'm a little lost on the whole covenant thing. Why this isn't explained better is dumb as hell. First of all I used to join them when j found them to get a trophy. Then found out that you "sin" or "betray" your covenant if you switch on the fly. *facepalm* so then I have to pay or repent or whatever at the dude on top of the church and he wants like 30,000+ souls. Yea right like I'm rich.

Ok so anyways I'm more curious if joining each covenant "mixes" up the people that invade you/who you can help via the soul drop thing. Like if you join X covenant, there is more chance a player from Y covenant will invade you? Also if I join Z covenant, I can only help Z covenant members if I put the soul sign as an hollow/dead person?

Btw NPC covenant leaders can help you out if you see their soul sign + high level rank? I saw that sun person being summoned one when I was too and he was glowing gold like aurora.

Don't like to read wilkes for games that I haven't beat so I'd rather ask here. Also I recently leveled my claymore to +5. was that worth it or are the shards meant for more rare weapons? I recently rang the second bell and opened the doors to the forest. Dark Root garden almost completed except the lake boss that seems impossible for a melee character.

Ps: what the hell is up with the tail bullshit. Whoever made that should get fired. Never once I read that in game that a boss character tail means a weapon drop. Um yea I read about it here and got the Drake Sword. So are all bosses like that?

Not all of the bosses have weapon drops from chopping the tail off. I think there are six of them in total. I guess the only real reason to go for them is because you get a rare weapon which ultimately goes towards a Trophy/Achievement. I used the Drake sword early on but soon switched it for a Claymore which is more upgradable and you can add Lightning to it, which makes it KICK ASS. I have managed to get a four of the tails so far, I am doing it as I intend to get Platinum in Dark Souls so I get them as a matter of completion.

I was a little confused with the Covenants to start off with, but I found that once I joined the Chaos one I was able to acquire some fairly decent Pyro spells for my glove which are much more powerful than the standard fireball.

Anyway, Merry Xmas!

Insaniac

I want to make a Avelyn crossbow character starting from SL1 so I was wondering if anyone here who has various levels of characters would be willing to help me attempt to transfer it to my new character.

I've never done this before but I assume it would require transfering the items to successively lower level characters.

If you can help me, send me a PM.

edit: 360

no one wanna help me? I'd really like to try this build but I don't wanna hafta rush to dukes archives just to use get the avelyn I'd like to try using it from the start

.GqueB.

Banned
no one wanna help me? I'd really like to try this build but I don't wanna hafta rush to dukes archives just to use get the avelyn I'd like to try using it from the start

You wont be able to carry it at level 1. But depending on what class you use, you'll be able to start using it somewhat quickly.

I was at level 80 and about 125 hours into one game when I started over and I dont regret it one bit. You have a better understanding of what you have to do and you'll tear through the game pretty quickly. Dont underestimate what youve learned.

Entwain

The only reason people tear up for sif is if you stop swinging (who does?) if hes below 20% or so hes panting hard and limping. Rarely anyone sees this due to (me included) wanting to beat his ass before he double swings again.

Ill Saint

White Dragon Breath... how I wish you didn't constantly pass through the enemies legs.

Anyone know what the spell (assuming it's a spell anyway) or effect is that covers a player in some sorta dark spikey stuff? No clue what it is, or what it's supposed to do.

Wool

White Dragon Breath... how I wish you didn't constantly pass through the enemies legs.

Anyone know what the spell (assuming it's a spell anyway) or effect is that covers a player in some sorta dark spikey stuff? No clue what it is, or what it's supposed to do.

The R2 ability of Havel's Greatshield isn't a bash, it's that ability. I tried using it before going in to fight Gwyndolin, and it definitely ups magic resistance by a lot. I've heard it also boosts poise, but I don't have any confirmation.

Ill Saint

The R2 ability of Havel's Greatshield isn't a bash, it's that ability. I tried using it before going in to fight Gwyndolin, and it definitely ups magic resistance by a lot. I've heard it also boosts poise, but I don't have any confirmation.

Ohhh, cool!

Still in need of Smough gear if anyone is up for a trade. SL 137 on PS3.

Booshka

Its requirements are pretty low, I think it'd be a fun weapon to use main with a red tearstone ring

Send me a message on XBL, GT is Booshka. I don't really have any low characters, but if you can get some cracked orbs from Firelink/New Londo Ruins, you can then invade me in
drained
New Londo Ruins, I did this with a friend of mine and it worked. If you already have the Avelyn on a different character, you can give that one to me by using the Red Invasion Soapstone in the same place, then I will hold the Avelyn, upgrade it too if I can, and give it to your low level character.

Just posted this in a gaming side Christmas thread
DarkSoulsChristmas006.jpg

Just did this a few hours ago, PvP'ing in the forest for about 2 hours with some guy.

Diomedes

I cheesed Havel really bad and just let him follow me to the top of a staircase, wait for him to commit to a strike, then jump off so he falls down too and takes 1/6th damage.

It's a bit tougher to take advantage of game mechanics in this one than DeS; however I did cheese Havel by hitting him through the door then backing away until he died. Also poison misted the second boar in the hallway to the Duke's Archives from around the corner.

Sullichin

Send me a message on XBL, GT is Booshka. I don't really have any low characters, but if you can get some cracked orbs from Firelink/New Londo Ruins, you can then invade me in
drained
New Londo Ruins, I did this with a friend of mine and it worked. If you already have the Avelyn on a different character, you can give that one to me by using the Red Invasion Soapstone in the same place, then I will hold the Avelyn, upgrade it too if I can, and give it to your low level character.

Just posted this in a gaming side Christmas thread
DarkSoulsChristmas006.jpg

Just did this a few hours ago, PvP'ing in the forest for about 2 hours with some guy.

Lol nice. Is that the BK Greataxe? I still never used any of the heavy STR-requirement weapons.

Ill Saint: I haven't forgotten about you but I still don't have any characters in range!

Booshka

Lol nice. Is that the BK Greataxe? I still never used any of the heavy STR-requirement weapons.

Ill Saint: I haven't forgotten about you but I still don't have any characters in range!

Yes it is, that weapon is infamous at this point, but I still love it. I got one late-game on my first character and fell in love with it. It has an unbelievable moveset and speed for how strong of a weapon it is. It weighs 16.0 though, so you have to tailor your build for it. That character is my melee only character so I put almost all my points into END and VIT, I have it so I can do flip rolls with all that gear, pretty ridiculous. That is really the only Black Knight weapon that is worth it, the BK Greatsword has good stats as well, but not as quick and versatile as the Greataxe.

Update: Woohoo, beat the Havel Knight, and got the Havel ring, so now I can equip the Elite Armor with no trouble. Currently back at the Asylum, and fought one demon knight and that one knight how helps you in the beginning. Now Im trying to beat the demon knight just before the cell you start in.

This game is sooo freakin awesome.

edit: OMG, how do I defeat the Asylum boss, Stray Demon? I lose 3/4's of my HP when you fall through the floor. And then he has one hit killls? Help?

Don't you guys just love that "what's there really to moan about" line? Great, haunting acting, perfectly in line with the game. Very smart and original in some aspects too, like Alvina.

Yeah, I like that line. I have gotten it into my head that it is a reference to all the moaning people did when going into soul form in Demon's Souls. "But I only have half of my health" "I have been in soul form for so long :(" etc.

elohel

Yes it is, that weapon is infamous at this point, but I still love it. I got one late-game on my first character and fell in love with it. It has an unbelievable moveset and speed for how strong of a weapon it is. It weighs 16.0 though, so you have to tailor your build for it. That character is my melee only character so I put almost all my points into END and VIT, I have it so I can do flip rolls with all that gear, pretty ridiculous. That is really the only Black Knight weapon that is worth it, the BK Greatsword has good stats as well, but not as quick and versatile as the Greataxe.

srsly love that weapon lol

Seriously, fuck the Stray Demon boss. I cant even connect with him before im dead. Should I come back later seeing as hes an optional boss?

Dresden

Seriously, fuck the Stray Demon boss. I cant even connect with him before im dead. Should I come back later seeing as hes an optional boss?

Stay behind him. Also bleeds own him really hard.

Basically make sure you can move and roll fast, and approach him from the first bonfire. Fall in, roll to a corner, heal up, and then stay on his butt. Use a weapon two handed. All his explosions hit in a cone in front of him (and a little to the back) so just back off a little whenever he blasts one off, hack away. Roll sideways to avoid his downward swing. When he flaps in the air, obviously, get out of range.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled

Sounds like you're too weak. Raise your HP a bit and get a stable shield and come back later. Stay behind him when you do and back off when he does his magic farts.

The hardest part of the fight is the start, getting close enough to him. Once you do that, it's very doable.

And yeah, bleeding hurts his ass a lot.

I dont know guys, Im level 42, have a 23 dex, using Halbred+2 and mage armor to stay light and no shield. Im using my weapon two handed. But he uses the fire blast spell that hits me even when im behind him. Argh.

Is there something im missing with my weapon and stats upgrading?

Dresden

Dude your weapon sucks.

Upgrade it.

e: also I have a very low opinion of halberds and think you would do better with something else.

Dude your weapon sucks.

Upgrade it.

e: also I have a very low opinion of halberds and think you would do better with something else.

The reason Ive been using the halberd for the last 5 hours is because it gives me distance to manuever. I also have a Rapier+3 but it doesnt do as much damage as the Halberd. What weapon would you recommend I upgrade, and where can I farm shards to use to upgrade it?

Dresden

The reason Ive been using the halberd for the last 5 hours is because it gives me distance to manuever. I also have a Rapier+3 but it doesnt do as much damage as the Halberd. What weapon would you recommend I upgrade, and where can I farm shards to use to upgrade it?

What's your Strength, btw?

Anyways, if you want distance there's a couple of good options. The great scythe, pikes and the other spears, claymore, zweihander, etc. The rapier is a great backstabbing weapon but its moveset is bad and the range, as you probably noticed, sucks.

As for where to farm, nowhere really, just get some souls (helping people out with bosses is a good way) and buy them from the blacksmiths. Titanite shards you'll be able to buy cheaply to take a weapon to +5. Then to get it higher you'll need large titanite or green shards, which can be farmed in the Depths or Blighttown from slugs or slime, or purchased later on from Sen's merchant.

What's your Strength, btw?

Anyways, if you want distance there's a couple of good options. The great scythe, pikes and the other spears, claymore, zweihander, etc. The rapier is a great backstabbing weapon but its moveset is bad and the range, as you probably noticed, sucks.

As for where to farm, nowhere really, just get some souls (helping people out with bosses is a good way) and buy them from the blacksmiths. Titanite shards you'll be able to buy cheaply to take a weapon to +5. Then to get it higher you'll need large titanite or green shards, which can be farmed in the Depths or Blighttown from slugs or slime, or purchased later on from Sen's merchant.

Ill have to check my exact stats in a bit since I have the game off right now.

I have the Zweihander, but I cant use it yet, as my stats wont allow it. I dont necessarily need a distance weapon, just one that will hit hard.

Cruzader

Banned
First of all, thank you guys for the answers. That really helped.

But not I got a little issue. I am currently in that castle with all the traps. Anyways I got to the top and kill this giant golem than normally feeds giant rocks to a trap found in the castle. Sadly I killed them and forgot to open the jail cell of the magician dude that you can reach by using the rock machine to break a hidden wall!

Edit: nvm he respawns! Phew!

Did I just mess myself up for freeing the magichian and optaining a locked item in that area? Or does he respawn?

Dresden

Ill have to check my exact stats in a bit since I have the game off right now.

I have the Zweihander, but I cant use it yet, as my stats wont allow it. I dont necessarily need a distance weapon, just one that will hit hard.

Well, you can obtain a claymore very early in the game (it's on the drake bridge). It's got good range, hits hard, swings fast, and has a very versatile moveset - also has low requirements to use (just 16 str and 10 dex iirc). You can upgrade that to +10 and then make it lightning for a weapon good through the entire game. Only problem is that it doesn't scale well from what I remember so for a regular str/dex build another weapon would be better.

Manus

So I got Demon Souls for Christmas though I'm not going to play it till I finish Dark Souls. So how much like Dark Souls is it? I'm guessing the combat is exactly the same?

mxgt

Banned
Just ploughing through NG+ right now with fully upgraded paladin armour and my lightning garg halberd + 5.

Quick question though, does better armour drop at all? just seen the basic stuff so far. Seeing as other things are scaled are weapons and armour too?

Sullichin

Just ploughing through NG+ right now with fully upgraded paladin armour and my lightning garg halberd + 5.

Quick question though, does better armour drop at all? just seen the basic stuff so far. Seeing as other things are scaled are weapons and armour too?

Drops are the same in NG+/beyond.. ie if you kill an undead in the Burg you probably don't want his drop.

sixghost

Once you are behind him, his AOE magic spell can still hit you, but only if you are very close to him. When you see him cast it, back up until you find the safe range, then just keep doing that.

You can beat him at a very very low level once you have his pattern down.

Once you are behind him, his AOE magic spell can still hit you, but only if you are very close to him. When you see him cast it, back up until you find the safe range, then just keep doing that.

You can beat him at a very very low level once you have his pattern down.

LOL, he's so big, all I can see is his feet on my TV.

Booshka

The best place to farm for low level upgrade shards is the swamps in Blighttown, the leeches/slugs there drop Large Titanite Shards and Green Titanite Shards. Don't buy either from merchants, if you need Titanite Shards, Feed the Serpent at Firelink a bunch of Green Titanite Shards and you will have a ton. I suggest to just keep farming for Large Titanite Shards from the leeches instead of buying them, at 4000 a pop, it is quicker to just farm enemies for them, instead of grinding for souls to buy them. Unless you are rolling in Souls and have no better use for them, just farm for upgrade items instead. Make sure to have your Item Discovery at least around 210, and 410 is best.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Is there any "change log" for all the changes between Dark and Demon's Souls? What the hell are Covenants, for instance?

D'oh, in the OP. What I get for skimming. But I still have questions: Can you change it later?

Also a good wiki?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom