• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulhouf

Playing a dragon is fun and refreshing in PvP. His WotG-like stun attack often take my opponents by surprise and make them exposed to my chain attack with the BK greataxe.
The downside is that your character has no poise or defense. It's basically Kill or be killed.

mxgt

Banned
Quelaag doesn't seem the difficult. I just messed up, but I can do it. Getting across the swamps though is killing me. I need more purple moss.

Equipping the shadow set can help, plus it's light so you can sprint/roll through

Also I'm thinking of giving up on being a Sunbro and going Darkwraith for some PvP. So hard to find people to help on the 360 during NG+

malfcn

Equipping the shadow set can help, plus it's light so you can sprint/roll through

Couldn't find the shadow set. Had stone armor. Just got stun locked and died, losing 18k souls. It's shitty that I can learn the boss, but some bad geometry or other bullshit will screw you over.

mxgt

Banned
cool, a titanite demon killed me through a wall and I just lost 100k souls.

thanks cheap deaths

every time I have to go through sen's fortress I want to break the game disc in half

Quelaag doesn't seem the difficult. I just messed up, but I can do it. Getting across the swamps though is killing me. I need more purple moss.

Have you got the ring that increases your run speed through the swamp? If you didn't know, its back at the Asylum where you start the game.

Zaptruder

Banned
What you need to realise about the swamp is that been poisoned is far far far from a death sentence. Just let it stay and wander around the swamp with impunity. Heal up with the flask when health is low - only time you need to remove it is before engaging the boss, and that's only if it's a fresh bar of poison.

Toxin on the other hand is a goddamn sonofabitch. That's one where you definetly need to have the purple moss with white crap on top on hand.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
What you need to realise about the swamp is that been poisoned is far far far from a death sentence. Just let it stay and wander around the swamp with impunity. Heal up with the flask when health is low - only time you need to remove it is before engaging the boss, and that's only if it's a fresh bar of poison.

Toxin on the other hand is a goddamn sonofabitch. That's one where you definetly need to have the purple moss with white crap on top on hand.

I'd bet a lot of people don't even try to play with poison because theyre so scarred from toxic.

Yeah I just run around in the swamps whilst poisoned and just chug on the Estus to top up.

Is the Blood Shield any good? I had a Silver Knight shield but I want to reduce my weight where I can so I've taken the hit on some magic resistance and switched to that. It's a Blood Shield +5 btw which I upgraded myself. There is a yellow shield with a green up arrow on my OSD now, is that enhanced DEF?

In Dark Root area now, just getting some souls atm but will be taking on the bosses here soon!

mxgt

Banned
Defeated Four Kings on new game+, had to delve into my humanity to keep myself alive. still the most intense fight in the game imo.

Styles

Defeated Four Kings on new game+, had to delve into my humanity to keep myself alive. still the most intense fight in the game imo.

Just had a co-op session where I had to fight the Four Kings on ng+, yeah. Fighting one was easy enough, but when the rest spawns almost immediately after the first, gg right there.

Sif defeated.

Cool idea for a boss, shame he was too easy. I guess that's the game though, I could of tried him 20 hours ago I suppose. I am Level 100 now.

Edit:

Devine ember get! Time to make a weapon to take out the skeleys :)

After I've visted Hyrda, of course.

In the swamp, does the Wanderer set = the Shadow set? Or is the Shadow set the ninja-looking outfit I have yet to find?

Either way, Wanderer set slowed the poison of the swamp down nicely and gave me enough mobility (plus a Mildred summon) to take out Quelaag.

Should I venture down to the Demons Ruins now, or go back to Undead Parish as they showed in the cutscene?

CatPee

Sif defeated.

Cool idea for a boss, shame he was too easy. I guess that's the game though, I could of tried him 20 hours ago I suppose. I am Level 100 now.

Edit:

Devine ember get! Time to make a weapon to take out the skeleys :)

After I've visted Hyrda, of course.

Holy overleveling Batman!

:D

I think I've done things in a weird orderish, although obviously without the Abyss ring I've been limited. Done Sens and Anor, spent ages in Anor on the Silver Knights levelling actually and those huge guards getting Titanite Chunks.

mxgt

Banned
My god, constant barrage of invasions in Anor Londo castle. Mostly by vengeful spirits. I can't catch a break
KuGsj.gif

In the swamp, does the Wanderer set = the Shadow set? Or is the Shadow set the ninja-looking outfit I have yet to find?

Either way, Wanderer set slowed the poison of the swamp down nicely and gave me enough mobility (plus a Mildred summon) to take out Quelaag.

Should I venture down to the Demons Ruins now, or go back to Undead Parish as they showed in the cutscene?

The shadow set is the ninja looking one. It slows down poison considerably.

Sullichin

I always forget about Sif. I've never been challenged by this fight and I'm always confused when people say he's hard. I actually wish he was harder!

My new jam is helping people co-op O&S at level 15. It's a surprisingly easy fight for such a low level, but it's still very fun. Ascended pyromancy glove + fire or lightning weapon + good armor = it doesn't matter what level you are. I've enough souls to get to level 40 something and I'm sitting on like 50 sunlight medals. I think it's really cool that the game can be beat at such low levels, but it's kind of silly that my level 15 character is pretty much as powerful as my first character (lvl 147), just with less health and END. It almost makes all of the stats useless. I don't ever need to upgrade my strength or dex if i'm using an elemental weapon. If I didn't use an elemental weapon, I would need to upgrade my stats like crazy for the weapon to be as powerful, and I would be a higher level and potentially out of co-op range. It doesn't seem very balanced. Resistance is of course useless and i'm rolling in humanity anyway. Also, with the bottomless box glitch people can start with all the gear they need to pretty much immediately beat the game. You can't really differentiate between phantoms who did a legitimate low level run and one who started with maxed out armor and equipment. I'm gonna guess the bottomless box glitch is popular because I helped someone at level 15 beat O&S, and he was wearing Smough's helmet. Unless he was on NG+ at level 15 (he didn't seem particularly great at the game), he used the glitch. Now I know I wouldn't ever use that glitch because it makes the game too easy (and I'd have to delete a character anyway). Hardest part of a low level run are the parts before you can get really good equipment. Capra, when you have shit equipment, remains one of the hardest fights in the game (and then it becomes the easiest). O&S got a lot easier once i upgraded my stuff (and got a phantom). Queelagg was a good challenge. The gargoyles were too, when I had a shit shield, weapon, and armor. Now I can kill them instantly. When I co-op those I tend to stick to melee unless the summoner really sucks. Otherwise the fight is over immediately and what's the fun in that for anyone? I suppose I'll try to beat the whole game low level if I want a good PVE challenge. But I like the first half a lot more :( Oo, forgot I have the Asylum demon still. That's always a good fight

Got the limited edition of this as a surprise Xmas present. Now I find myself rushing through what's left of Skyrim so I can die a thousand times just like in Demon's Souls. <3

Sullichin

How do you get Sunlight Medals? From helping people?

If you join warrior of sunlight covenant, you get a medal every time you help someone and successfully beat a boss.
You also get one if there's a warrior of sunlight phantom on your team when you beat a boss (say if you're just a white phantom). I think you get one whenever you summon solaire for a fight too. And there's a chest in Anor Londo that has 3.

If you join warrior of sunlight covenant, you get a medal every time you help someone and successfully beat a boss.
You also get one if there's a warrior of sunlight phantom on your team when you beat a boss (say if you're just a white phantom). I think you get one whenever you summon solaire for a fight too. And there's a chest in Anor Londo that has 3.

Just read up, you need 50 to join, then a further 10 for a miracle.

Not helped people out yet, how do that work?

I assume it doesn't matter if I have already killed the boss? I'll get sucked into their game? Then we kill boss, I get souls and a medal, then I go back to my game?

How do you lay the summon signs?

So I'm doing my NG++ and finally got to that one-legged lightening spear bastard, and as usual I'm attempting to go in pure melee and I'm getting destroyed. Any secrets to this guy I don't know about, or it is pure patterns and distance as always?

lunlunqq

I assume it doesn't matter if I have already killed the boss? I'll get sucked into their game? Then we kill boss, I get souls and a medal, then I go back to my game?

use your white soapstone and get summoned. helping others to kill a boss significantly lower the requirement to join sunbro.

one85x

Nope, doesn't matter if your boss is already dead. Just put the white soapstone down in an area that you want to help with. It varies from location to location, but bonfires are usually the best place to put it down.

To join the Sunlight covenant, you only need 25 faith. Each time you successfully help someone defeat a boss, the requirement is lowered by 5. So after 5 co-op sessions, you can join without any faith. You only get a sunlight medal if someone in the game is a sunbro, either you, the host, or another phantom.

OK I've done the three bosses in Dark Root (Sif, Midnight and Hydra), and killed the Undead Dragon in Valley of Drakes.

Is the next step onto New London Ruins or Catacombs? Any recommendations for which first?

I'll need a Devine weapon for Catacombs which I don't have, but I do have the ember.

Dresden

So I'm doing my NG++ and finally got to that one-legged lightening spear bastard, and as usual I'm attempting to go in pure melee and I'm getting destroyed. Any secrets to this guy I don't know about, or it is pure patterns and distance as always?

I just stick close and stay on his right. Roll backwards when he leaps.

lunlunqq

OK I've done the three bosses in Dark Root (Sif, Midnight and Hydra), and killed the Undead Dragon in Valley of Drakes.

Is the next step onto New London Ruins or Catacombs? Any recommendations for which first?

I'll need a Devine weapon for Catacombs which I don't have, but I do have the ember.

both are OK for you now. you can also try the duke's archive or izalith ruins.

Guys I chose the pendant as my starter gift. Then I traded it in the crows nest and got a Souvenir of Reprisal for it. I'm really worried that I have messed up.

Was thinking of starting over and maybe choosing the master key instead. Is this a good idea?

Sullichin

Guys I chose the pendant as my starter gift. Then I traded it in the crows nest and got a Souvenir of Reprisal for it. I'm really worried that I have messed up.

Was thinking of starting over and maybe choosing the master key instead. Is this a good idea?

No one knows what the pendant even does. The master key is best when you know the game well. I don't think I'd recommend it for your first playthrough, it's worth not skipping anything and seeing all the game has to offer.

Dresden

Not worth starting over for it, you can buy a master key for 5k souls.

Ill Saint

Not really. I wouldn't bother with the master key on first playthrough, you won't really benefit from it until your 2nd run. But if you decide that you must have it, it is available for sale early on anyway. No-one knows what the pendant does yet (if anything). Don't sweat it.

Edit: Doh.

Booshka

I always choose Master Key for characters now, even though you can buy it pretty soon, it is still worth it to run all over the place at the start of the game. And when you have it as a Gift, you will always have it at the start for NG+'s. If you plan on only playing one playthrough on a character then you can choose something else for a Gift, otherwise Master Key always.

EDIT: I may be wrong about the Master Key on NG+'s, I have never bought it, so is it like the Bottomless Box where it carries over once you buy it on one playthrough?

I've tried to lay down a White Summon sign and it won't let me. I've just turned Human.

Any ideas? The option of "Use" is crossed out.

edit: Working now, it's wouldn't at the bonfire area at Undead Parish.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Playing a dragon is fun and refreshing in PvP. His WotG-like stun attack often take my opponents by surprise and make them exposed to my chain attack with the BK greataxe.
The downside is that your character has no poise or defense. It's basically Kill or be killed.
How'd you get the dragon torso stone? I tried farming Drakes for dragon scales and said fuck it after a while.

Booshka

I've tried to lay down a White Summon sign and it won't let me. I've just turned Human.

Any ideas? The option of "Use" is crossed out.

edit: Working now, it's wouldn't at the bonfire area at Undead Parish.

That happens when someone is trying to invade you, you will either get invaded or it will fail and you can then use the summon sign. If you put your summon sign down, an invasion attempt will cancel the summon sign as well. Sometimes you will get caught in a loop of invasion attempts, especially in the forest or Anor Londo, so you will need to homeward bone, dried finger and sometimes even Quit and re-load to get out of it.

That happens when someone is trying to invade you, you will either get invaded or it will fail and you can then use the summon sign. If you put your summon sign down, an invasion attempt will cancel the summon sign as well. Sometimes you will get caught in a loop of invasion attempts, especially in the forest or Anor Londo, so you will need to homeward bone, dried finger and sometimes even Quit and re-load to get out of it.

Cheers, I guess I was trying too close to the Bonfire area too, it "lit up" again in my quick inventory that I could use it as soon as I got to the Parish with the archer and two guards.

Heh I guess it's just a waiting game hoping someone will turn up. Where are the best places for popular action (PS3)?

I am in the Undead Parish at the mo.

You have to stay in the area or it will disappear?

Dresden

Heh I guess it's just a waiting game hoping someone will turn up. Where are the best places for popular action (PS3)?

I am in the Undead Parish at the mo.

You have to stay in the area or it will disappear?

Yeah, gotta stay in the 'zone' or it'll go away. The parish area is big, though, just stay near the church and you'll be good to go. Popular spots for the Parish are all around the church, so it's nothing to worry about.

Yeah, gotta stay in the 'zone' or it'll go away. The parish area is big, though, just stay near the church and you'll be good to go. Popular spots for the Parish are all around the church, so it's nothing to worry about.

Also, when I do get summoned, can I use my Flask?

Dresden

Invasions are pretty rare, tbh, outside of Anor Londo (if you've sinned) or the Forest (anything). I think I've been invaded once or twice at most outside of those areas.

Also, when I do get summoned, can I use my Flask?
Nope. Either the host heals you with his flasks, you use a spell, or you use a Humanity.

Invasions are pretty rare, tbh, outside of Anor Londo (if you've sinned) or the Forest (anything). I think I've been invaded once or twice at most outside of those areas.

Nope. Either the host heals you with his flasks, you use a spell, or you use a Humanity.

You can heal others with your flask?! They have to be next to you I assume? I wondered if I could heal Solaire when I summoned him.

Soulhouf

How'd you get the dragon torso stone? I tried farming Drakes for dragon scales and said fuck it after a while.

You need to offer 30 dragon scales. I gained most of them by challenging other players via the dragon eye in Kiln of the first Flame. Also, since the 1.05 patch the drakes drop dragon scales more often.
Now I'm collecting 50 additional dragon scales to reach rank 3 (I have 42 so far).

So Ive decide to leave the Stray Demon boss at the Asylum until later. But what should I do now. Someone suggested that I go and change/upgrade my weapons. What are some good suggestions? And where should i move on to now? Should I tackel Blightown?

Just got summoned and had first fight against the Bell Gargoyles. IT FUCKING ROCKED!! We were rather over powered but that doesn't matter.

Got a shit load of Souls and a Hummanity. I can totally see the hook of online co-op in the game now, so good.

One question though, there was THREE of us?! How is that possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom