• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferr986

Loving how I still see a lot of ghosts, even in early areas.

After seeing the preview of Dark Souls II i had the itch to play the first part again, so I made a new char and started fresh.

I had a couple of characters prepared at the start of the game with the BB glitch but they didnt work (box was empty), so I guess it was corrected even when you crated a save with it. Not a big deal, is good to start from zero again.

And dam you demon taurus.

Go up the tower, plunge attack him. After that take him to the oposite tower, and then run again to the first tower, so you can have time to climb it again and plunge attack him again. Rinse and repeat.

njean777

Anybody notice that the ps3 version runs worse after installing the patches and dlc? Also I thought they fixed the text cuz mine still says "You defeated"

krakov

I need advice for 4 kings ng5+. It is nearly imposible...

Do as much damage as you can as fast as you can. Roll or tank their attacks and wail away, use a fast hitting weapon with a buff if possible. You can hit each king a few extra times after they die which will bring down their total health.

Never block their sword strikes, keep close.

What build, equipment and strategy are you currently using?

Every time I load the game (from disc) the first thing I see is a weird mess of pixels on the screen for about 1.5 seconds, followed by the loading icon (bonfire) in the bottom left and everything is normal.

Anyone else get this? Is this a known thing?

I'm on 360.

Every time I load the game (from disc) the first thing I see is a weird mess of pixels on the screen for about 1.5 seconds, followed by the loading icon (bonfire) in the bottom left and everything is normal.

Anyone else get this? Is this a known thing?

I'm on 360.

Mine did this just before, dude. I think it's normal.

EDIT: Question regarded the PtD content: I understand that I have to do stuff in-game to access it, but outside of that, I don't have to trigger it/toggle it on or anything, right? All I've done is start a NG+ and I'm just going through now as normal. Spanks!

Man, this crystal cave. I may lose thousands of souls here but at least it's easy to farm them back up when I do... only to lose them again when I make a mistake. I stupidly dropped down to face a crystal golem where an item corpse was... knocked right off that slanted edge. Exploring the entire place is going to be hell i can tell.

Guys! NG+ currently. Level 105 (thereabouts) with STR around 45 and STR/DEX around 35. My go to weapon is a Lightning Claymore +5.

Am I limiting myself here? Should I be aiming to get a +15 vanilla Claymore?

Or should I be looking into some other weapons? I have my eye on the Washing Pole.

Booshka

Guys! NG+ currently. Level 105 (thereabouts) with STR around 45 and STR/DEX around 35. My go to weapon is a Lightning Claymore +5.

Am I limiting myself here? Should I be aiming to get a +15 vanilla Claymore?

Or should I be looking into some other weapons? I have my eye on the Washing Pole.

Yes you are severely limiting yourself with that Lightning weapon, elemental weapons do not scale at all with your str and dex stats so all those points are wasted. A +15 Claymore will do far more damage, a +15 Washing Pole will also do a lot of damage as well, not as much as Claymore, but still plenty.

With those stats, you should focus on +14/+15 weapons to complement your stat investment. If you have to, it would be worth it to revert that Claymore to +10 at a Blacksmith, then take it to +14/+15 with Andre. Also, I would level your Dexterity to 40, before you level Strength to 50, if you plan on leveling either stats anymore that is.

Yes you are severely limiting yourself with that Lightning weapon, elemental weapons do not scale at all with your str and dex stats so all those points are wasted. A +15 Claymore will do far more damage, a +15 Washing Pole will also do a lot of damage as well, not as much as Claymore, but still plenty.

With those stats, you should focus on +14/+15 weapons to complement your stat investment. If you have to, it would be worth it to revert that Claymore to +10 at a Blacksmith, then take it to +14/+15 with Andre. Also, I would level your Dexterity to 40, before you level Strength to 50, if you plan on leveling either stats anymore that is.

Awesome. Thanks for the reply, dude. Unfortunately, I've only just reached Andre in my NG+, so I needs me that ember first. You'd recommend reverting the Claymore as soon as possible, then? And what materials do you need to take a weapon to +15?

Booshka

Awesome. Thanks for the reply, dude. Unfortunately, I've only just reached Andre in my NG+, so I needs me that ember first. You'd recommend reverting the Claymore as soon as possible, then? And what materials do you need to take a weapon to +15?

You can keep using the Lightning Claymore until you get the Embers needed to ascend weapons to +15. The Large Ember in Depths will allow you to take weapons to +10, then from there you need the Very Large Ember in New Londo ruins to take weapons to +15.

+15 weapons require the same materials as Lightning, Titanite chunks from +11-14, then a Titanite Slab to get to +15. Since you are on NG+ you could just grab another Claymore and take that one to +15 while you keep your Lightning Claymore to get the items to upgrade the other one.

Also, you can switch between the two and test the damages to see how you get more damage a majority of the time from +15 weapons as opposed to elementals. That will shed some light on how the mechanics of upgrading and stat scaling work with Dark Souls.

New Londo Ruins is also the perfect place to farm for the necessary materials, as the Darkwraiths have a common drop of Titanite Chunks, and a rare drop of Titanite Slabs. So if you want to make a lot of +14/15 weapons, farm them with 410 Item discovery.

Soulhouf

No you can't revert a crystal weapon.

@Booshka: I know I know, I did it once myself. I have an Avelyn I don't use and I will happily give it to you.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Oh? That's... weird. Oh, I guess cause that'd be a loophole to prevent it from breaking. Ah, I hope DkS2 doesn't have so many useless upgrade paths like that.

Soulhouf

Oh? That's... weird. Oh, I guess cause that'd be a loophole to prevent it from breaking. Ah, I hope DkS2 doesn't have so many useless upgrade paths like that.

It's not useless. I tend to use that upgrade path after NG+.
I just stock weapons I can get easily (Bastard Sword vs Claymore, Great Sword vs Zweihander for example) and upgrade them to Crystal+4. When they break, I throw them away and get a fresh one.
Why do that? Because a crystal+4 is more powerful than normal+15 and you don't use a slab for it.
It's actually very clever upgrade path and much more useful than the magic or raw one.

Nando13

Do as much damage as you can as fast as you can. Roll or tank their attacks and wail away, use a fast hitting weapon with a buff if possible. You can hit each king a few extra times after they die which will bring down their total health.

Never block their sword strikes, keep close.

What build, equipment and strategy are you currently using?

Full Black Iron Armor set. Great Scythe +15. Grass Crest Shield +5. Ring of Favor and Protection. Cloranthy Ring.

50STR
42DEX
40VIT
42END
33FAITH

(It is a PvE build)

krakov

Full Black Iron Armor set. Great Scythe +15. Grass Crest Shield +5. Ring of Favor and Protection. Cloranthy Ring.

50STR
42DEX
40VIT
42END
33FAITH

(It is a PvE build)

Do you have sunlight or darkmoon blade? I would suggest using a faster weapon but you should be ok with the great scythe. Since you can't fast roll tanking them is probably best. Iron flesh may help, power within is another option. If you are using neither, stamina grass is good.

Nando13

Do you have sunlight or darkmoon blade? I would suggest using a faster weapon but you should be ok with the great scythe. Since you can't fast roll tanking them is probably best. Iron flesh may help, power within is another option. If you are using neither, stamina grass is good.

Ok, thanks for the reply. Yes, I have sunlight blade, and I can fast roll.

Booshka

No you can't revert a crystal weapon.

@Booshka: I know I know, I did it once myself. I have an Avelyn I don't use and I will happily give it to you.
This is on a 360 character, thanks for the offer, but I'll just have to get another one in NG+ or from another friend or some TwitchBros.
"You have been taken by the abyss"

This lol, that is such a cool animation, and part of me hates seeing a host get taken by the abyss after trying to switch rings after they drop in, and another part just laughs at the comedy of the situation.

Metaroo

Took down Manus last night! That was probably the most challenging fight in the game, considering he had the movement and attack speed of
Gwyn
, coupled with a larger, more intimidating body. Fun way to conclude the DLC.

Superflat

Took down Manus last night! That was probably the most challenging fight in the game, considering he had the movement and attack speed of
Gwyn
, coupled with a larger, more intimidating body. Fun way to conclude the DLC.

Manus is pretty tough but for me it was Kalameet, only because I was also trying to take its tail out for the weapon drop. It was maddening at some points.

Manus is pretty tough but for me it was Kalameet, only because I was also trying to take its tail out for the weapon drop. It was maddening at some points.

Kalameet itself is really easy (albeit some extra difficulty comes from it having billion energy) but goddamn getting the taildrop sucked.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It's not useless. I tend to use that upgrade path after NG+.
I just stock weapons I can get easily (Bastard Sword vs Claymore, Great Sword vs Zweihander for example) and upgrade them to Crystal+4. When they break, I throw them away and get a fresh one.
Why do that? Because a crystal+4 is more powerful than normal+15 and you don't use a slab for it.
It's actually very clever upgrade path and much more useful than the magic or raw one.
Wouldn't that require to have tons of chunks all the time though? Without BB glitching that would suck.

I just killed the merchant in undead Burg. Am I doomed? :(
He does sell a few useful items, but nothing game-breaking if you don't have it. He drops the important stuff - key, orange soapstone and his Uchi which is one of the more popular weapons in the game.

Remember in future if you hit an NPC and they aggro just run away. Once you have killed the Gargoyles (very early boss) you get access to an NPC who can absolve your sins for a fee, which makes everything OK - just don't kill him! XD

I once accidentally killed the Fair Lady after giving her 30 humanity to level up the Chaos Covenant. Took forever, and I was really mad at first. But thank Durante that the DSFix takes save backups periodically. I had one from about 10 minutes earlier that I was able to revert to.

Soulhouf

Wouldn't that require to have tons of chunks all the time though? Without BB glitching that would suck.

Yep, 8 chunks for each weapon. But depending of which weapon you're using it can serve you for a while.
I remember beating NG+7 with only crystal weapons and I used only 2 Crystal Demon Great Machete+4 to beat the game.
Besides chunks are very easy to farm from New Londo, so it's not really a big deal. The effort is worth it, especially starting from NG+ or later since you probably already made all the weapons you need.

Superflat

I once accidentally killed the Fair Lady after giving her 30 humanity to level up the Chaos Covenant. Took forever, and I was really mad at first. But thank Durante that the DSFix takes save backups periodically. I had one from about 10 minutes earlier that I was able to revert to.

Same thing happened to me except I didn't enable save backups. I was pretty furious. ALL THAT HUMANITY. Those fuckin DS3 triggers, I swear to god...

Lingitiz

Anyone have tips for beating Smough and Ornstein? It's much easier with Solaire but I'm out of humanity and fighting the royal sentinels before them is a pain.

Dresden

Anyone have tips for beating Smough and Ornstein? It's much easier with Solaire but I'm out of humanity and fighting the royal sentinels before them is a pain.

Run away until Ornstein distances himself from Smough, hack hack hack, rinse and repeat.

Don't bother summoning Solaire if the sentinels take too long. Just run through them and to the door.

Mannnnn, I'm an idiot. Took me 4 attempts to kill Moonlight Butterfly and not once did I think to equip a magic resistant shield. I think I forget that I'm in NG+ half the time and that I actually have shit to use this time round; also, I'm stupid.

First-timed Capra without even trying, though, so that was a pleasant surprise.

Mannnnn, I'm an idiot. Took me 4 attempts to kill Moonlight Butterfly and not once did I think to equip a magic resistant shield. I think I forget that I'm in NG+ half the time and that I actually have shit to use this time round; also, I'm stupid.

First-timed Capra without even trying, though, so that was a pleasant surprise.

Did you ever summon White Witch Beatrice for the Moonlight Butterfly fight? I always summon her, even for first-time runs through the game. I am not sure why as its an easy boss. I just like the look of the character and kinda feel sorry for her a bit. Stuck at the bottom of the stairs in a bush surrounded by moss and huge rock guards. What kind of life is that? Poor lass :)

Did you ever summon White Witch Beatrice for the Moonlight Butterfly fight? I always summon her, even for first-time runs through the game. I am not sure why as its an easy boss. I just like the look of the character and kinda feel sorry for her a bit. Stuck at the bottom of the stairs in a bush surrounded by moss and huge rock guards. What kind of life is that? Poor lass :)

I didn't, man. I've actually never summoned anyone. I did my first play-through as a pure loner; the oppression was crushing, but also greatly rewarding.

Anyway, I tried to, but just before I hit the staircase, some nong invaded, so I just said "fuck it" and traversed the light. I didn't see an obvious summons sign, so I'm guessing that invaders disable summoning?

I didn't see an obvious summons sign, so I'm guessing that invaders disable summoning?
They don't, but her summon sign is kind of hidden under the destructable bushes below the stairs.

You can only summon/be invaded in areas you haven't killed the boss though - you can still put down your summon sign though to help others/get souls.

They don't, but her summon sign is kind of hidden under the destructable bushes below the stairs.

You can only summon/be invaded in areas you haven't killed the boss though - you can still put down your summon sign though to help others/get souls.

Ah, righteo. Thanks. Well, she was easy enough in the end, though I can't help but feel embarrassed for Capra and the Bell Gargoyles in comparison. Come on, bros. She's a butterfly.

I'll definitely be hitting up Solaire for O&S, as I really wants me that Ornstein armour and I'm assuming that taking him out last on your own isn't exactly "easy".

Alright so I'm going to be buying this game after my finals. Should I get the 360 or PC version? Are there any large problems on the PC that makes the 360 more playable or vice versa?

Booshka

Alright so I'm going to be buying this game after my finals. Should I get the 360 or PC version? Are there any large problems on the PC that makes the 360 more playable or vice versa?

If you plan on mostly just playing the game by yourself and not investing too much in the online aspect, I would get PC version. The community is smaller there so you will see less activity. PC version runs much better than consoles, especially with DSFix.

If you think you might get invested in PvP or co op, then 360 has a more active community. Unfortunately both versions have cheaters and modded characters invading you, but a few of the PC cheaters can do some real nasty, game breaking shit to you. Whereas on 360, they just have modded characters and weapons to kill you quick and give themselves impossible stats.

If you plan on mostly just playing the game by yourself and not investing too much in the online aspect, I would get PC version. The community is smaller there so you will see less activity. PC version runs much better than consoles, especially with DSFix.

If you think you might get invested in PvP or co op, then 360 has a more active community. Unfortunately both versions have cheaters and modded characters invading you, but a few of the PC cheaters can do some real nasty, game breaking shit to you. Whereas on 360, they just have modded characters and weapons to kill you quick and give themselves impossible stats.

This is true, although I feel it's worth saying that I have 200+ hours on PC, and have not ran into a cheater yet. Granted, I don't do a ton of PVP, so take that for what it's worth.

Kalameet itself is really easy (albeit some extra difficulty comes from it having billion energy) but goddamn getting the taildrop sucked.
Funny. I was frustrated trying to cut the tail so I asked for help so someone aggro and the other bashed the tail. WAAAAAAAAY easier than alone.

If the PS3 version isn't a viable choice get PC.

I'm kinda regretting making Anor Londo dark. I can't see shit, there's hardly any enemies, and it just feels depressing. If I kill the boss that appears in Darkmoon Tomb will it get bright again? I'm guessing not...but it would be nice.

Thanks for your input. I intend to play alone so I guess I'm going for the PC version.

I'm kinda regretting making Anor Londo dark. I can't see shit, there's hardly any enemies, and it just feels depressing. If I kill the boss that appears in Darkmoon Tomb will it get bright again? I'm guessing not...but it would be nice.

Fuck man. Those were illusions, show Gwyndolin to not mess with ya.

Also, not until another playthrough. But you can still get invaded in dark anor londo, plus it is easier to reach the giant now. *shrugs*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom