• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khronico

Alright, I'm gonna try a new build, but I'm torn between a DEX+INT build (my main idea is building it like a spellsword, buffing my weapons and such) or a melee centered STR build. I played a jack of all trades for my first char, but I wanna try something more fun for my next run. Also, I don't care about PVP, so either build's viability in it does not matter.

Ah, righteo. Thanks. Well, she was easy enough in the end, though I can't help but feel embarrassed for Capra and the Bell Gargoyles in comparison. Come on, bros. She's a butterfly.

I'll definitely be hitting up Solaire for O&S, as I really wants me that Ornstein armour and I'm assuming that taking him out last on your own isn't exactly "easy".

Yeah I always find him to be a shit head for sure. I did actually manage to solo that fight on NG+ once, but it was really tough (I usually summon help down outside by the loud lift/elevator). I found my fully maxed Pyro glove and Queelag Fury Blade helpful there. Fuck me though, it was an intense fight! :)

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
You should always summon Solaire for every boss, even if you don't need him.

The man's purpose in life is jolly cooperation. Don't be a jerk; just let him help you.

How would things unfold if you only upgraded Strength? Would some attacks be impossible to perform without upgrading Endurance as well, or would it let you do the attack but empty your stamina bar every time?

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Got myself a Black Knight Halberd (currently +2) in the Basin so I figured I'd go pump all my shit into strength. Currently sitting at 34 strength, 18 dexterity and 40 endurance. Everything else is starting level (Warrior).

Just Beat O&S (with O going SSJ) and Solaire not only held his own, but survived the entire ordeal. It was quite jolly.

I get beat quite easily since I only have 11 vitality and am wearing the black leather thief outfit, but I don't mind feeling like a glass canon so it's all cool.

Is there a point in upgrading the plain halberd when I have the Black Knight one? does +15 halberd with some sort of resin more damage than a black knight halberd at +5 for instance?

Got myself a Black Knight Halberd (currently +2) in the Basin so I figured I'd go pump all my shit into strength. Currently sitting at 34 strength, 18 dexterity and 40 endurance. Everything else is starting level (Warrior).

Just Beat O&S (with O going SSJ) and Solaire not only held his own, but survived the entire ordeal. It was quite jolly.

I get beat quite easily since I only have 11 vitality and am wearing the black leather thief outfit, but I don't mind feeling like a glass canon so it's all cool.

Is there a point in upgrading the plain halberd when I have the Black Knight one? does +15 halberd with some sort of resin more damage than a black knight halberd at +5 for instance?

Think its just a case of moveset, regular Halberd seems to attack faster, firther, wider, and take less stamina

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Can't say I'm a big fan of the Halberd (+5 Lightning on my SL30 Darkwraith).

Poking attacks just don't seem like a great way to get hits in as opposed to sweeping attacks.

ixix

How would things unfold if you only upgraded Strength? Would some attacks be impossible to perform without upgrading Endurance as well, or would it let you do the attack but empty your stamina bar every time?

If you have any stamina remaining the game will let you use any attack. If you use an attack that you don't have sufficient stamina for the gauge will empty entirely and you'll need to wait a bit before you recover any stamina at all. You effectively go into negative stamina and have to wait for it to recover to 0 before the gauge starts filling again.

You can test it out on any character by just using a big stamina-eating attack like one of the two-handed special attacks from the Drake Sword or Dragon King Greataxe or similar, then using a second one without giving your stamina any time to recover. You'll bottom out the gauge and have to wait a bit before it starts refilling again.

So the short answer to your question is that it'll let you do the attack but it'll wipe out your gauge every time and there'll be a period where you're sitting at bupkis stamina-wise and even a stiff breeze could knock you ass over teakettle.

It always makes me sad when I'm summoned by someone in the Parish and they're wearing his gear :(

The hardest Dark Souls thing I ever did was murdering Solaire so that I could read the descriptions on his equipment.

I queued up a Homing Crystal Soulmass, two-handed my sword, and started apologizing before I'd even pulled the trigger.

Tore me up inside, it did. Still feel kinda bad about it, to be honest.

Ferr986

On my 3 characters, I never murdered Solaire, neither
left him die at Izalith

Just started 4rt character, planning to kill Gwynevere and stuff, but I dont think I'll kill Solaire. I just cant do it :(

Can't say I'm a big fan of the Halberd (+5 Lightning on my SL30 Darkwraith).

Poking attacks just don't seem like a great way to get hits in as opposed to sweeping attacks.
but they'll do more counter damage (tho not when lightning). just need good timing/spacing and/or use unlocked. but yea, horizontal attacks can allow you to be way more offensive, especially when dead angles exist.

only if you prefer the moveset. they're both good weapons.

ixix

On my first playthrough of the game I ended up running from
crazy bug-headed Solaire because I couldn't bring myself to put him out of his misery.

I felt kind of beneficent until upon reflection I realized that I had just consigned my AI besty to
a lifetime alone in Lost Izalith
and that's kind of a horrible fate to subject someone to and I am kind of a monster for doing it.

I think the halberd is one of the best PVE weps, Black Knight Halberd is better for PVP imo. I hate the second swing for PVE, but it is quite good for dodging junkies in PVP.

On my 3 characters, I never murdered Solaire, neither
left him die at Izalith

Just started 4rt character, planning to kill Gwynevere and stuff, but I dont think I'll kill Solaire. I just cant do it :(

How's this possible? Were you reading a walkthrough for your first playthrough? Saving him is pretty far off for first timers.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
A year ago I quit the game at the anor londo archers.

Started a new playthrough, want to finish the game.

I went in with a totally different attitude towards the game and I am having a blast. Last year I was using a shield and the drake sword (later lightning spear after I got it at sens). Boring as fuck, slow, miserable. Hoarding souls for level ups hoping it would help.

Now? I'm running with a phat zwei... gargoyles were just mooks, capra went down in 3 tries, gaping dragon first try, queelag went down easily... and I am having a blast. The zwei has a kick ass moveset, it hits from a mile away, it staggers to the point of stopping enemies mid swing. Sometimes it even makes them hit the ground. And of course the damage... oh my god.

Heading for sens now. I'll pick the lightning spear of course, laugh at its puny face and proceed to faceroll the place.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
A year ago I quit the game at the anor londo archers.

Started a new playthrough, want to finish the game.

I went in with a totally different attitude towards the game and I am having a blast. Last year I was using a shield and the drake sword (later lightning spear after I got it at sens). Boring as fuck, slow, miserable. Hoarding souls for level ups hoping it would help.

Now? I'm running with a phat zwei... gargoyles were just mooks, capra went down in 3 tries, gaping dragon first try, queelag went down easily... and I am having a blast. The zwei has a kick ass moveset, it hits from a mile away, it staggers to the point of stopping enemies mid swing. Sometimes it even makes them hit the ground. And of course the damage... oh my god.

Heading for sens now. I'll pick the lightning spear of course, laugh at its puny face and proceed to faceroll the place.

+5 Chaos Zweihander ;D

Joei

I'm going to repost this from a few pages... and I've looked at the wiki but I couldn't find a definitive answer, so...

Does the bridge wyvern come back if he flies away? I'm on NG+ and was having trouble killing him and ran to the bonfire in the Sunlight Altar and he flew away. :/

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
I'm going to repost this from a few pages... and I've looked at the wiki but I couldn't find a definitive answer, so...

Does the bridge wyvern come back if he flies away? I'm on NG+ and was having trouble killing him and ran to the bonfire in the Sunlight Altar and he flew away. :/

Yeah, he comes back.

Booshka

+8 normal so far ;D

Plan to +10 it in sens, then I dont know if to go ahead to +15 normal, make it lightning, or divine or whatever.

If you don't plan on leveling your Strength or Dexterity much past the minimum requirements to wield the Zwei, then make it Lightning. If you are going to level your Strength and Dexterity, upgrade it to +15 to benefit from stat scaling and the higher net damage of pure physical damage.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
If you don't plan on leveling your Strength or Dexterity much past the minimum requirements to wield the Zwei, then make it Lightning. If you are going to level your Strength and Dexterity, upgrade it to +15 to benefit from stat scaling and the higher net damage of pure physical damage.

I really don't plan to go caster to be honest.

I got two attunement slots, for iron skin and magic weapon and that's all I want.

By the way, magic weapon is AMAZING. And it only requires 10 int to use. Insane.

Booshka

I really don't plan to go caster to be honest.

I got two attunement slots, for iron skin and magic weapon and that's all I want.

By the way, magic weapon is AMAZING. And it only requires 10 int to use. Insane.

If you want to keep using that magic weapon, or Great magic weapon which only requires 15 int, then make that Zwei +15. You can't buff Elemental weapons.

Arjen

I had such a good laugh yesterday.
I was helping a buddy getting trough Sen's (he's new, tried for tons of times and really wanted my help). After him dying and being killed by invaders multiple times we finally made it to the top.
So i explain the fire throwing giant to him and show him the secret bonfire, i hop down to the bonfire waiting for him. He's still above being hit by fire, i tell him to jump down already, he jumps down.
Dead
His body perfectly near the next bonfire he's been craving for for so long. I couldn't help but bursting out in laughter.

Booshka! I misinformed you. My stats are actually:

END 46
STR 35
DEX 34

Not as strong as I thought :(

Anyway, I've the Large Ember now, so I'm able to +10 my spare Claymore. My question is, would I see the benefits from scaling compared to my +5 Lightning immediately, or would it need more time?

And what's your opinion of the Black/Silver Knight swords (not the Great)? Do they scale?

I had such a good laugh yesterday.
I was helping a buddy getting trough Sen's (he's new, tried for tons of times and really wanted my help). After him dying and being killed by invaders multiple times we finally made it to the top.
So i explain the fire throwing giant to him and show him the secret bonfire, i hop down to the bonfire waiting for him. He's still above being hit by fire, i tell him to jump down already, he jumps down.
Dead
His body perfectly near the next bonfire he's been craving for for so long. I couldn't help but bursting out in laughter.

Yeah that happened to me during my first playthrough, finally reached the top after a grueling slog and was frantically looking for a bonfire. After i finally found it and as I'm about to jump down, the giant fire bomb hits me.

You Died.

*snaps controller in half*

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Has DSCfix made anyone else games freeze more often?

On another note, 3v1 situation in blighttown. Solution? 1 hit the host with great combustion ;)

Aguirre

im on ng++

i need quick and nasty tips for the freaking silver knight rangers in anor lando before i gorge myself in ben&jerrys with depression

its my melee/range build help

i dunno how i managed it before, luck perhaps. i just cant seem to knock them off.

Arjen

im on ng++

i need quick and nasty tips for the freaking silver knight rangers in anor lando before i gorge myself in ben&jerrys with depression

its my melee/range build help

i dunno how i managed it before, luck perhaps. i just cant seem to knock them off.

Poison arrows, there's a safe spot where you can hit them both.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
omg you guys~

how do I put the hurt on the boar in the entrance to the archives? My halberds do 20~35 damage even when I use charcoal resin.

He's got an armor flap over his butt and everything this time. ;_;

AngryMoth

Currently on my first play through, just started the dlc areas. I thought the mushroom npc was an enemy as it looked exactly like those ones in darkroot garden, so I ran in and gave it my strongest attack. I was horrified to realise it was an npc as it spoke a few lines of dialogue before perishing. Am I going to miss a lot of story now?

omg you guys~

how do I put the hurt on the boar in the entrance to the archives? My halberds do 20~35 damage even when I use charcoal resin.

Pyro, magic, poison arrows, sword up the butt! (backstab)

Currently on my first play through, just started the dlc areas. I thought the mushroom npc was an enemy as it looked exactly like those ones in darkroot garden, so I ran in and gave it my strongest attack. I was horrified to realise it was an npc as it spoke a few lines of dialogue before perishing. Am I going to miss a lot of story now?
Did you kill her? If not absolve your sins with Oswald at the Gargoyles bell tower.

If you killed her, I don't think she's that important, just a bit of dialogue and she sells the same stuff as Dusk iirc.

Gregorn

Has anyone finished the game at level 1? I can not do the 4 kings or Seath. If I can just do these I'd be done, the final boss should be so easy.

First of all damn all these Dark Souls threads :)

I got this game a while ago but never really "dared" to start it always finding some excuse like I'll wait until DSfix is done/perfect, I'll wait until I get controller and so on. But it is time :p

In any case I always wanted to play some kind of battle-mage and afaik it is possible to make one in this game (casting spells from a far and than getting up close and personal). I just wanted to ask if I wanted to go this route what starting class would be ok? I only played Demon Souls up to the first boss so I'm newb.

First of all damn all these Dark Souls threads :)

I got this game a while ago but never really "dared" to start it always finding some excuse like I'll wait until DSfix is done/perfect, I'll wait until I get controller and so on. But it is time :p

In any case I always wanted to play some kind of battle-mage and afaik it is possible to make one in this game (casting spells from a far and than getting up close and personal). I just wanted to ask if I wanted to go this route what starting class would be ok? I only played Demon Souls up to the first boss so I'm newb.

A battle mage is totally possible. If you go for leveling up mainly int/faith, then you can also get a magic based weapon that scales with intelligence that you could use for battling up close.

Starting class don't matter too much, but probably go with a sorcerer because of the starting gear. (You start off with soul arrow and a catalyst, as well as sorcerer garb.)

The boars in the archives don't have the backstab opening though.
They don't?

Has anyone finished the game at level 1? I can not do the 4 kings or Seath. If I can just do these I'd be done, the final boss should be so easy.
Yes I have pre-DLC, and a certainly few of the addicted here have post-DLC.

On my post- DLC SL1, I gave up at Artorias on that run, still mean to go back and try to finish it, although if I can't do Artorias, how the heck can I do Manus and Kalameet @ SL1 @_@

Advice for 4 Kings: I had trouble too it took me a while I remember posting shots here once I did it because I was so proud of it, lol. I just put on Havel's set, used lightning or fire reinforced club, power within too probably (dusk crown, bellowing ring to boost it) - and tank it, a few fat rolls and lucky heals should see you through. Don't give up, it can be done!

Seath: I've never had a problem with - curse resistant gear and pyro with a fully ascended glove should do the trick with great combustion). I usually just stand in front of him right at his belly - if you're trying to run behind those tail bashes hurt, and the longer the fight goes on, the more chance you have to die - so just run up and deal the biggest damage you can.

Morphis

It is. There's also a 25% off -code, which expires on the 19th, and drops the price down to $16.
Does anyone know more about this illustrious code? Or is is just for returning customers? Have DS on 360, been waiting for a chance to double dip. 16 bucks would help that decision :)

Soulhouf

Fire Reinforced Club + Power Within + Dark Hand and it shouldn't be difficult.
I beat the game at starting level 4 times and that formula never failed me (the only exception was when I did my SL1 no upgrade run, I had to figure out something else).

cjsnapp

Neo Member
omg you guys~

I ran past the boars and got all the way to the elevator. They can't get to you there and I just wailed on them with a giant club or something until they were dead. Cheap, I know.

Sullichin

omg you guys~

Use a weapon with blunt damage like a club, or pyromancy

4K are the hardest non-DLC boss at level 1. It's still possible to tank them though. You can put on the stone set and wail on them with a +5 chaos reinforced club. Or if you don't tank, get good at dodging their attacks and do the same. Seath is easy, make sure you have some curse resistance, make him break the crystal himself, and spam the club up close and center, or use pyromancy. He goes down with 1 - 2 fire tempest casts.

sixghost

4K are the hardest non-DLC boss at level 1. It's still possible to tank them though. You can put on the stone set and wail on them with a +5 chaos reinforced club. Or if you don't tank, get good at dodging their attacks and do the same. Seath is easy, make sure you have some curse resistance, make him break the crystal himself, and spam the club up close and center, or use pyromancy. He goes down with 1 - 2 fire tempest casts.

I think the Crest Shield is vital against 4 Kings. Maybe there's some way to reliably dodge that homing magic attack that I don't know, but it's much easier to just eat that attack with your shield.

I think the Crest Shield is vital against 4 Kings. Maybe there's some way to reliably dodge that homing magic attack that I don't know, but it's much easier to just eat that attack with your shield.

Imo the Crest Shield is one the best shields in the game, it is light, 100% physical and the highest magic resistance (80%) of the small shields at least.

Imo the Crest Shield is one the best shields in the game, it is light, 100% physical and the highest magic resistance (80%) of the small shields at least.

Yep. Every playthrough starts with a pre-emptive run at the Basin to collect that shield before I do anything else.

Yeah, in my experience doing anything but attacking them is a waste of time. For such a hard boss they're probably the most "simple" boss in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom