• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

sixghost

Yep. Every playthrough starts with a pre-emptive run at the Basin to collect that shield before I do anything else.

Yeah, in my experience doing anything but attacking them is a waste of time. For such a hard boss they're probably the most "simple" boss in the game.

Even at SL1? The few times I tried 4K at that level I died directly or indirectly because of that homing magic attack. If there's a way to dodge that attack outright, I'm not aware of it.

Even at SL1? The few times I tried 4K at that level I died directly or indirectly because of that homing magic attack. If there's a way to dodge that attack outright, I'm not aware of it.
It's difficult to judge the distance, but I usually manage to dodge roll it 9 times out 10 even though I'm unsure of the distance. Blocking with a high magic defense shield (Crest, Dark Hand) will make it seem like nothing at all too.

ssowinski

I just beat the game, level 113 after around 80 hours. Most time I've ever put into a game in my life. Feels good man.

Now on to Demons Souls, never actually finished it back when it first came out. Only did 10 or so hours into it. Then maybe I'll do new game plus.

I just beat the game, level 113 after around 80 hours. Most time I've ever put into a game in my life. Feels good man.

Now on to Demons Souls, never actually finished it back when it first came out. Only did 10 or so hours into it. Then maybe I'll do new game plus.

congrats! enjoy demons souls

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Well, the good news: I got past the archers where I rage quit a year ago.

The bad news: the dynamic duo is kicking my ass. Mostly giant Smough - I don't have the timing right to dodge him and blocking his blows depletes my stamina fast which makes it a slow process, so I'm more likely to eventually commit a fatal mistake. 6 attempts today, taking a break.

Well, the good news: I got past the archers where I rage quit a year ago.

The bad news: the dynamic duo is kicking my ass. Mostly giant Smough - I don't have the timing right to dodge him and blocking his blows depletes my stamina fast which makes it a slow process, so I'm more likely to eventually commit a fatal mistake. 6 attempts today, taking a break.

Suggestion, the Crystal Halberd you get from a Mimic in Anor Londo is great here. It does a lot of damage, especially in the first playthrough. Second, you can use a Lightning weapon, they eat Smough's health rather fast.

If you want to kill Ornstein first, I suggest to roll fast away from Smough since Ornstein will most likely dash through, meaning you can hit him once in a while. Try having <25% of your weigh load so you can do a fast roll (it really helps here, better than tanking with a shield by far).

There's a merchant in Sen's Fortress (near the giant dropping rocks through a hole, you have to jump a gap on the bridge to reach the room he's in. To go back to Sen's, go the very beginning of Anor Londo) that sells a ring for Lightning resistance which helped me out the first time. Grass Crest Shield has a high Lightning resistance and boosts your Stamina recovery, which is awesome. If you have humanity, try summoning Solaire in a staircase near the giant knights.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Suggestion, the Crystal Halberd you get from a Mimic in Anor Londo is great here. It does a lot of damage, especially in the first playthrough. Second, you can use a Lightning weapon, they eat Smough's health rather fast.

If you want to kill Ornstein first, I suggest to roll fast away from Smough since Ornstein will most likely dash through, meaning you can hit him once in a while. Try having <25% of your weigh load so you can do a fast roll (it really helps here, better than tanking with a shield by far).

There's a merchant in Sen's Fortress (near the giant dropping rocks through a hole, you have to jump a gap on the bridge to reach the room he's in. To go back to Sen's, go the very beginning of Anor Londo) that sells a ring for Lightning resistance which helped me out the first time. Grass Crest Shield has a high Lightning resistance and boosts your Stamina recovery, which is awesome. If you have humanity, try summoning Solaire in a staircase near the giant knights.

Thanks for the tips.

Anyways, I got giant smough to 1%, im out of pots and he telegraphs his buttsmash. I roll away twice, second roll is blocked by a pillar. Dead. Worse is, that move takes half my health. I WAS RIGHT AT HALF.

Sigh.

Followed by 4-5 attempts of pure fail. Didn't even kill Ornstein.

Taking a break from the game, gonna do some mass effect multiplayer.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Hmmm... I've got a +10 zwei, with stat bonuses I do 376 damage. I could make it lightning for a total of 540 damage, half physical half lightning.

Would that help? Ornstein is resistant to lightning, but would it help against giant smough?

Hmmm... I've got a +10 zwei, with stat bonuses I do 376 damage. I could make it lightning for a total of 540 damage, half physical half lightning.

Would that help? Ornstein is resistant to lightning, but would it help against giant smough?

Be pro and switch weapons mid-fight. Use the pillars to your advantage, Smough can't go through them and Ornstein dashes/lightning spears are stopped by them, heal when you can.

sixghost

Ornstein and Giant Smough are resistant to lightning. If you can kill Ornstein, you can win that fight. The only thing you really need to worry about with Giant Smough is the electric AoE attack. Just don't get greedy and you'll be able to dodge that too.

LordCanti

Is there a chart of what level people complete different bosses (on average)? I've been trying to get summoned to help someone do O&S as a level 40 and no one seems to want the help (or no one is the right level to see my sign). I tried at Quelaag and Sen's boss as well. I know it's not a port issue because I've been summoned and invaded before.

Booshka

Booshka! I misinformed you. My stats are actually:

END 46
STR 35
DEX 34

Not as strong as I thought :(

Anyway, I've the Large Ember now, so I'm able to +10 my spare Claymore. My question is, would I see the benefits from scaling compared to my +5 Lightning immediately, or would it need more time?

And what's your opinion of the Black/Silver Knight swords (not the Great)? Do they scale?

The Lightning +5 Claymore will be better than a +10 Claymore, but once you get the Claymore to +13 and beyond, you will notice a huge difference.

Black Knight weapons are good for mostly Strength characters, but most normal weapons in their respective weapon class have better movesets, much lighter weight and better scaling. They do a ton of damage regardless, so if you like them, and don't mind their hefty weight, go for it. I tend to like the more normal weapons (Longsword, Claymore, Rapier, Halberd, Zwei, etc) just upgraded to +15 with good stat scaling.

Is there a chart of what level people complete different bosses (on average)? I've been trying to get summoned to help someone do O&S as a level 40 and no one seems to want the help (or no one is the right level to see my sign). I tried at Quelaag and Sen's boss as well. I know it's not a port issue because I've been summoned and invaded before.

1323119782398.jpg

The Lightning +5 Claymore will be better than a +10 Claymore, but once you get the Claymore to +13 and beyond, you will notice a huge difference.

Black Knight weapons are good for mostly Strength characters, but most normal weapons in their respective weapon class have better movesets, much lighter weight and better scaling. They do a ton of damage regardless, so if you like them, and don't mind their hefty weight, go for it. I tend to like the more normal weapons (Longsword, Claymore, Rapier, Halberd, Zwei, etc) just upgraded to +15 with good stat scaling.

Nito! Thanks again, man. I've got it at +14 now - STR and DEX at 38 and 36, respectively - and it's definitely doing some damage.

On another note, the Man-Serpent Greatsword is proving to be a bitch to get from the 2 Serpz at the gate of Sen's; I'm getting horrible flashbacks to Borderlands 2 loot farming.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
This framerate is just driving me nuts today... I still can't believe the game shipped like this.

Hmm...I'm the right level to be summoned to O&S, yet it's not happening. It says "at the bonfire", so maybe putting the sign right in front of the door was the wrong way to go?
You do see summon signs at the fog door, but people are usually covered before they get there for summons because Anor Londo is such a hotbed of invasions. Best to slap it down in the bonfire room.

Atruvius

Got the game on Wednesday have been running in light armor with out piece and using claymore as my weapon. Then I found Havel's Ring which boosts carry capacity and can finally use a full set of a bit better armor and shield and still roll fast.

Today I will explore the Depths. I have visited the but those slimy things almost killed so I bailed.

The first few hours the game didn't feel nearly as good as Demon's Souls but now, with 11 hours of play time, I think Dark Souls is much better.

Mort

Banned
Booshka! I misinformed you. My stats are actually:

END 46
STR 35
DEX 34

Not as strong as I thought :(

Anyway, I've the Large Ember now, so I'm able to +10 my spare Claymore. My question is, would I see the benefits from scaling compared to my +5 Lightning immediately, or would it need more time?

And what's your opinion of the Black/Silver Knight swords (not the Great)? Do they scale?

The absolute best thing about the Black Knight Weapons (Aside from looks) is that they're so easy to upgrade. If you get one, you can have it at +5 before ringing the 2nd bell of awakening and only making one quick detour into the Great Hollow. With the regular weapons, you need to head down into New Londo Ruins and drain the water to make them competitive with the Black Knight weapons, which early in the game is a big detour and a pain in the ass for me.

There are some huge caveats with the Black Knight weapons. First off, they all require 18 dexterity. For pure strength builds, this investment might not be worth it.

By and large they generally do weigh a lot more and their R2 attacks are almost all useless. Cool, but useless from a practical standpoint.

Plus they're random drops from non respawning enemies. So unless you're willing to remake the character over and over again until one drops you can't rely on getting one.

None of the black knight weapons can be buffed with Crystal Magic Weapon, Sunlight Blade or Darkmoon Blade.

There are usually stronger equivalents within the same weapon class. For a pure strength build the Man Serpent Greatsword +15 is a better strength weapon than the Black Knight Sword. It has a better moveset too and the only problem is a slightly higher equip burden and the greater upgrade difficulty.

The Silver Knight Straight Sword is alright for a straight sword. It'd damage is mostly equivalent to the Balder Side Sword, which is a huge fan favorite. It's buffable too which really helps. I prefer the Balder Side Sword's movement personally.

The Balder Side Sword only requires 10 strength as well, compared to the Silver Knight Sword's 16.

The Silver Knight Sword has a much higher Dexterity requirement at 22, but considering both weapons are best used for dexterity builds I consider that a moot point since you'll most likely have 40 dexterity anyway.

The biggest problem with the Silver Knight Straight Sword is the weight imo. The Balder Side Sword and the Silver Knight Sword have mostly equivalent damage, but the BSS weights 3.0 while the Silver Knight Sword weights 6.0 which is huge for it's weapon class.

That said, the Silver Knight Straight Sword is my favorite looking weapon in it's class by a big margin.

This is a great tool for figuring out what weapons to use. Just enter your stats, check which weapon classes you're interested in and compare the damage.

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/weapons

Thanks for the comprehensive tips, Mort. I'll look into it later, 'cause right now, whilst I've made a lot of progress, I am remembering just how fucking rage-inducing this game is. I have lost at least 200,000 souls tonight, purely from falling down. Murphy's fucking law at its worst, I tell you! "Oh, you're heading back to cash in your hard earned souls, are you? How 'bout I make you press RB just one too many times by accident on this precarious ledge, so you swing to your death like a fucking moron? Would that be aight? Yeah? Sweet".

DICK SOULS.

Soulhouf

Thanks for the comprehensive tips, Mort. I'll look into it later, 'cause right now, whilst I've made a lot of progress, I am remembering just how fucking rage-inducing this game is. I have lost at least 200,000 souls tonight, purely from falling down. Murphy's fucking law at its worst, I tell you! "Oh, you're heading back to cash in your hard earned souls, are you? How 'bout I make you press RB just one too many times by accident on this precarious ledge, so you swing to your death like a fucking moron? Would that be aight? Yeah? Sweet".

DICK SOULS.

Why are you carrying 200k souls if you need them?
If you need those souls, use them.

Why are you carrying 200k souls if you need them?
If you need those souls, use them.

I should clarify: 200k over the night. Each Soul Level is costing me around 90k now, so I was carrying around that when disaster struck - twice :(. Oh, well. Nothing some good old fashioned farming can't fix.

Somebody mentioned in one of the many Dark Souls threads that there was an entertaining, completely blind Let's Play on youtube. Can someone give me a link to it if they know what I'm talking about?

Cheers

Mort

Banned
Somebody mentioned in one of the many Dark Souls threads that there was an entertaining, completely blind Let's Play on youtube. Can someone give me a link to it if they know what I'm talking about?

Cheers

Probably EpicNameBro's first playthrough? Even really early on he had a good grasp of the game and went through it without too much apparent trouble that we saw.

Probably EpicNameBro's first playthrough? Even really early on he had a good grasp of the game and went through it without too much apparent trouble that we saw.

The one I'm talking about apparently had the player consuming an important FireKeeper Soul, if that helps.

Sullichin

So I'm using DSFix. Will GFWL cause problems and should I disable it or will my game be fine?

You'll be fine. I don't even think you can save if you disable GFWL unless you crack your game. And you wouldn't be able to play online. I'm pretty sure most people who play on PC use DSfix.. they should be, anyway.

AlexBasch

Just restarted Dark Souls right after beating Demon's this morning.

Aside from missing my magic and a couple of cool weapons, I breezed through Undead Parish without leveling up. :| Haven't gotten used to the open world theme of this game though.

Question regarding the DLC.

I'm at The Duke's Archives in my current playthrough and figured now would be a good time to purchase the DLC considering I can access it once I finish this area. If I download/install it, will I be able to access it on my current in-process playthrough? Or will I have to start a whole new file? Any help is appreciated, thanks guys.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Question regarding the DLC.

I'm at The Duke's Archives in my current playthrough and figured now would be a good time to purchase the DLC considering I can access it once I finish this area. If I download/install it, will I be able to access it on my current in-process playthrough? Or will I have to start a whole new file? Any help is appreciated, thanks guys.

You can access it in your current playthrough. In fact, assuming you already met Dusk in
the Hydra area
, you are right at the trigger of the DLC content, which is in the beginning of Duke's.

Christ almighty.
Lautrec
was definitely not that hard the first time around. I must have been close to about 25 attempts by the time I emerged victorious. What a bitch.

At least it's smooth sailing now with Ornstein & Smough...

Any tips for taking out Smough first?

shaneskim

Just noticed that a patch has been downloaded (EU).

The notes online don't really say much but does anyone have an idea on what it does?

So I'm on another playthrough, doing a cleric/sunlight warrior run, thought I'd ask in this thread: what's a good SL get summoned on, particularly in the DLC content, which I plan to head to next? I'm SL 50 now and I don't want to overlevel and not get summoned.

Mort

Banned
Christ almighty.
Lautrec
was definitely not that hard the first time around. I must have been close to about 25 attempts by the time I emerged victorious. What a bitch.

At least it's smooth sailing now with Ornstein & Smough...

Any tips for taking out Smough first?

Use him as a shield against Ornstein. When I kill Smough first, I always try to line things up so that he's between me and Ornstein. I then use his massive size as a cushion against Ornstein's attacks.

Dunkelgrau

GAF, I need a new cover-pic for my facebook-profile. I thought about something with “Praise the sun”. But it really should be something subtle. Do you have any links for me?

You can access it in your current playthrough. In fact, assuming you already met Dusk in
the Hydra area
, you are right at the trigger of the DLC content, which is in the beginning of Duke's.
Thanks! You're right, I made it to the DLC tonight actually. Going to level up a bit and tackle it this week.

Dresden

So I'm on another playthrough, doing a cleric/sunlight warrior run, thought I'd ask in this thread: what's a good SL get summoned on, particularly in the DLC content, which I plan to head to next? I'm SL 50 now and I don't want to overlevel and not get summoned.

I had a good time being summoned around the sl70 mark.

krakov

It's to late for any patch to fix this game. I hope next time they make sure to cover up exploits before shipping. Right now it seems like 50% of the population on 360 is running around with a stack of blessings and modded items. The book of the guilty is pretty much a hacker wall of fame.

How is the PS3 version in this regard? is the super mule stuff the only thing to worry about?

Day 9's has been great. He may start playing again at some point
hopefully

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmqY1OeRo7Q

Cheers, that's the one. I'm near the end of Part 2, and he's making a lot of basic gamer mistakes, rather than Souls newbie mistakes. Things like pressing the wrong buttons, forgetting to heal, forgetting to lock-on and not keeping an eye on his stamina bar. He seems really likeable though :D

Quick note, do you guys think the game should notify players that parrying and riposting is difficult, and something that more than likely won't be picked up during the first hours of the game?

Why did he stop playing?

Yasawas

if i buy the dlc via the psn store, is it possible to play through it with my current build?

No, PS3 saves from the original version don't work on the PTD edition. I bought the disc version and they don't but I'm sure I read the DLC situation is the same.

How is the PS3 version in this regard? is the super mule stuff the only thing to worry about?
I think so. I don't really know if anything more than the BB glitch or super mule save things were possible. I've certainly never seen anything like someone with infinite health or anything like that thankfully.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
if i buy the dlc via the psn store, is it possible to play through it with my current build?

Sure. You need a certain sequence of events to trigger the access to the DLC, but even if you're as far as the Kiln it should work. Here's the sequence:

- You must have defeated the Golden Golem in Darkroot Basin, beyond the hydra, and summoned Dusk and spoken to her.
- Then, at the beginning of Duke's Archives just past the first bonfire (atop the elevator where the first crystal warriors are), defeat the Blue Golem to get the Broken Pendant.
- Return to where the Golden Golem was, where you might have picked up Dusk's armour set. There's going to be a dark glow there.
- Examine that glow to be drawn into the DLC area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom