• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheers, that's the one. I'm near the end of Part 2, and he's making a lot of basic gamer mistakes, rather than Souls newbie mistakes. Things like pressing the wrong buttons, forgetting to heal, forgetting to lock-on and not keeping an eye on his stamina bar. He seems really likeable though :D

Quick note, do you guys think the game should notify players that parrying and riposting is difficult, and something that more than likely won't be picked up during the first hours of the game?

Why did he stop playing?
I'm enjoying watching this, I was just laughing how many times he didn't see the door out of the asylum - he seemed to be having fun with it, made it enjoyable to watch someone on their virgin playthrough. I can see how some people might be frustrated as hell in that situation - gotta remember it's just a game!

I think a few basics like what humanity, bonfires, kindling are that type of basic, basic mechanics need explaining - but things like parry/riposte and other moves are OK to learn by just playing. The messages in the asylum give all the moves and attacks in the game, so learning their uses is half the fun - at least it was for me, obviously there are people out there crying for baby mode, so what do I know - I like exploring and working out things for myself, the rewards in this game come from conquering a situation you figured out yourself, if that's a boss or something as simple as mastering a plunging attack.

Seance

Banned
Cheers, that's the one. I'm near the end of Part 2, and he's making a lot of basic gamer mistakes, rather than Souls newbie mistakes. Things like pressing the wrong buttons, forgetting to heal, forgetting to lock-on and not keeping an eye on his stamina bar. He seems really likeable though :D

Quick note, do you guys think the game should notify players that parrying and riposting is difficult, and something that more than likely won't be picked up during the first hours of the game?

Why did he stop playing?

Yeah he's inexcusably bad for sure. No amount of DS difficulty stigma can shield the fact that he's just awful. It is what makes the playthrough so amusing.
He plays other games too, mostly SC2 for obvious reasons.

popyea

I don't think Day9 is that bad at all. He's quite good at spacing himself away from enemies so that he can capitalize on the range of his attacks while avoiding theirs. That type of footsies is something I've never seen new players figure out so quickly. Only thing that he's really bad at is managing stamina. Though I suspect it's mostly because he doesn't realize keeping his shield up is slowing his recovery. Regardless, it's pretty entertaining watching a completely blind playthrough. And he seems quite enthralled by it too.

sixghost

I don't think Day9 is that bad at all. He's quite good at spacing himself away from enemies so that he can capitalize on the range of his attacks while avoiding theirs. That type of footsies is something I've never seen new players figure out so quickly. Only thing that he's really bad at is managing stamina. Though I suspect it's mostly because he doesn't realize keeping his shield up is slowing his recovery. Regardless, it's pretty entertaining watching a completely blind playthrough. And he seems quite enthralled by it too.

I think he used to play fighting games back in the day, which would explain why he understood the footsies/spacing aspect of the combat.

Celegus

Is there some kind of duping trick in Dark Souls now (PS3)? I just started a new character, and I summoned some guy at the Lower Undead Burg, and he just starts dropping 5x souls of Manus, Artorias, titanite slabs, maxed out weapons, etc out of the blue. I'm not sure I'm even going to use them, it just seemed really strange.

Booshka

Is there some kind of duping trick in Dark Souls now (PS3)? I just started a new character, and I summoned some guy at the Lower Undead Burg, and he just starts dropping 5x souls of Manus, Artorias, titanite slabs, maxed out weapons, etc out of the blue. I'm not sure I'm even going to use them, it just seemed really strange.

Mega mule just got released for PS3, you download a save that has 10 filled character slots (each individual character class), with 99 of every consumable/upgrade item, every weapon fully upgraded along every upgrade path and 5 scrolls of every spell.

Aguirre

Sure. You need a certain sequence of events to trigger the access to the DLC, but even if you're as far as the Kiln it should work. Here's the sequence:

- You must have defeated the Golden Golem in Darkroot Basin, beyond the hydra, and summoned Dusk and spoken to her.
- Then, at the beginning of Duke's Archives just past the first bonfire (atop the elevator where the first crystal warriors are), defeat the Blue Golem to get the Broken Pendant.
- Return to where the Golden Golem was, where you might have picked up Dusk's armour set. There's going to be a dark glow there.
- Examine that glow to be drawn into the DLC area.

you're awesome!! /hugs/ ^_^

i got it working perfect. so excited to explore this new area and get the new loot.

Ferr986

Guys, I know Darkmoon Blade is better than Sunlight Blade at lvl 3, but what about comparing them at lvl 1?

Im doing a DEX/Faith and I want to use one of both for weapon buffing, but having to farm 80 souvenirs puts me a little off..

AW.

YEAH.

Chorenstein & Ho were totally easy. It was also my first time summoning Solaire for the encounter and I must say, he was grossly superb. My primary goal was to nab Chorenstein's armour and Solaire was more than helpful as a distraction while I took out the incredibly-easy-on-his-lonesome Ho. Very fun fight in the end.

I now have about 400k of souls to eat up, too. I'm rocking a +15 Claymore and a heavy STR/DEX focus (44/43). Should I level them up concurrently or should I prioritise and take one to 50 as soon as possible?

Thanks, y'all.

AW.

YEAH.

Chorenstein & Ho were totally easy. It was also my first time summoning Solaire for the encounter and I must say, he was grossly superb. My primary goal was to nab Chorenstein's armour and Solaire was more than helpful as a distraction while I took out the incredibly-easy-on-his-lonesome Ho. Very fun fight in the end.

I now have about 400k of souls to eat up, too. I'm rocking a +15 Claymore and a heavy STR/DEX focus (44/43). Should I level them up concurrently or should I prioritise and take one to 50 as soon as possible?

Thanks, y'all.
grats.

most stats diminish off greatly at 40. you're going to get at most, like 2-3 points of extra ar. ~50str if you want to 1-hand certain large weapons, 45dex if you want the max the casting speed. there's absolutely no reason for 50dex afaik.

grats.

most stats diminish off greatly at 40. you're going to get at most, like 2-3 points of extra ar. ~50str if you want to 1-hand certain large weapons, 45dex if you want the max the casting speed. there's absolutely no reason for 50dex afaik.

Ah, got ya. Thanks, man. Maybe it's time for VIT to get some love, eh?

Kweh

Any tips on converting a single player build to a PvP one? I am currently on NG+ and trying to get 10 Seal of Reprisals for the Miracle trophy. I don't stand a chance in most 1 on 1 fights.

Any specific weapons/gear I should be using?

Any tips on converting a single player build to a PvP one? I am currently on NG+ and trying to get 10 Seal of Reprisals for the Miracle trophy. I don't stand a chance in most 1 on 1 fights.

Any specific weapons/gear I should be using?
Post your stats and level - are you dex, str, sorcerery etc?

The scary crow women in the prainted world drop seal of reprisals btw.

Aguirre

how fast does online activity (invading/getting invaded, summoning and getting summoned) decline when you go past sl150?

also:

tumblr_mkoo6d3Iwp1qbper1o1_400.gif

Is there a recommended guide to getting all unique weapons? Does it have to be done with one single character? I am almost at 1000/1000 on this and thats the only big hurdle I could run into.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
you're awesome!! /hugs/ ^_^

i got it working perfect. so excited to explore this new area and get the new loot.
You're welcome! Enjoy the new stuff. Totally worth the purchase, and the bosses are hard and exciting. It's fun to die all over again! :) I kinda wish the way to access the DLC wasn't so obscure, though. It's way too easy to miss on a first playthrough.

Guys, I know Darkmoon Blade is better than Sunlight Blade at lvl 3, but what about comparing them at lvl 1?

Im doing a DEX/Faith and I want to use one of both for weapon buffing, but having to farm 80 souvenirs puts me a little off..
I think Sunlight Blade is slightly better at level 1, but I'm not sure. Honestly, it's a strong enough buff even at level 1, I think I never bothered leveling it up to 3 and I still thought it was almost OP. FWIW, Darkmoon adds magic damage while Sunlight Blade adds lightning damage (IIRC).

Ah, got ya. Thanks, man. Maybe it's time for VIT to get some love, eh?
Go ahead. There's no such thing as too much VIT. Really.

Knight SL109

VIT 33
END 37
STR 40
DEX 27

Didn't know you could get them from those crow women. Do they have a decent drop rate?
The drop rate is bad, IIRC. Those stats aren't bad for PVP, depending on your gear. What's your weapon and armour? Max those out, pump a bit more VIT and END to reach SL 125 or so, and you can have a decent "quality"-style build (though inverting the dex and str stats would have been preferable, but too late for that ^^). If you have 4 points to spare, put them into attunement for 14 ATT and you can have a few pyros: I'd suggest Great Combustion with Great Chaos Fireball (cast the fireball unlocked in PvP, with practice it can be deadly).

Aguirre

You're welcome! Enjoy the new stuff. Totally worth the purchase, and the bosses are hard and exciting. It's fun to die all over again! :) I kinda wish the way to access the DLC wasn't so obscure, though. It's way too easy to miss on a first playthrough.

I think Sunlight Blade is slightly better at level 1, but I'm not sure. Honestly, it's a strong enough buff even at level 1, I think I never bothered leveling it up to 3 and I still thought it was almost OP. FWIW, Darkmoon adds magic damage while Sunlight Blade adds lightning damage (IIRC).

Go ahead. There's no such thing as too much VIT. Really.

The drop rate is bad, IIRC. Those stats aren't bad for PVP, depending on your gear. What's your weapon and armour? Max those out, pump a bit more VIT and END to reach SL 125 or so, and you can have a decent "quality"-style build (though inverting the dex and str stats would have been preferable, but too late for that ^^). If you have 4 points to spare, put them into attunement for 14 ATT and you can have a few pyros: I'd suggest Great Combustion with Great Chaos Fireball (cast the fireball unlocked in PvP, with practice it can be deadly).
hey, do you mind posting your build? :)

I thought getting the reprisals was very very fast. The enemies are sort of challenging because you can fall etc., but you can run to the tower in seconds, kill the crows, use homeward bone and repeat.

Think I only farmed them once, but think I ran up, kill the first batch and attract the attention of the others with arrows so they'd fly over. Probably quicker than invading Anor Londo gank squads.

Booshka

If you run all the way to where the Vow of Silence spell is you can kill 4 at a time right next to each other. Just do that over and over with homeward bones and something entertaining to listen to. I like to catch up podcasts or jam to some music whenever I am farming for extended periods of time.

Celegus

Hm, maybe it was just me then. I literally killed hundreds of those things before I got the 10(I think?) needed. Hours upon hours of murdering crow people. Had it down to a science. That was definitely the thing that took the longest for me to farm.

Booshka

Hm, maybe it was just me then. I literally killed hundreds of those things before I got the 10(I think?) needed. Hours upon hours of murdering crow people. Had it down to a science. That was definitely the thing that took the longest for me to farm.

Depending on when you did it could be the reason, the drop rate used to be horrendously low way back before the first major patch. Now though, with 410 item discovery the drop rate is probably around 20%.

Ferr986

Ok thanks!

Booshka

is there a significance of SL125? /noob/

SL120 and 125 is where most players that PvP regularly hover around, so if you want to PvP or see more summon signs for further playthroughs, it is best to stay around that level. Of course if you just want to keep leveling, go for it, but a lot of the serious PvP is at SL120 and 125 because builds can focus on one or two offensive stats, while still having high vitality and endurance and some attunement if necessary. Above that everyone starts to be a jack of all trades, or gouging individual stats.

SL 100-130 is perfect for Dark Souls builds, so PvP stays around there.

Aguirre

SL120 and 125 is where most players that PvP regularly hover around, so if you want to PvP or see more summon signs for further playthroughs, it is best to stay around that level. Of course if you just want to keep leveling, go for it, but a lot of the serious PvP is at SL120 and 125 because builds can focus on one or two offensive stats, while still having high vitality and endurance and some attunement if necessary. Above that everyone starts to be a jack of all trades, or gouging individual stats.

SL 100-130 is perfect for Dark Souls builds, so PvP stays around there.

whats the most common build for pvp?

INT (or STR), END and VIT?

Booshka

whats the most common build for pvp?

INT (or STR), END and VIT?

Usually it is a focus of one magic stat and weapon stat, or both weapon stats, or two magic stats. There isn't a most common build for the most part, but most of the players that I duel with regularly just use High weapon stat "Quality" builds and focus on melee only.

Edit and of course plenty of Vitality and Endurance.

Aguirre

Usually it is a focus of one magic stat and weapon stat, or both weapon stats, or two magic stats. There isn't a most common build for the most part, but most of the players that I duel with regularly just use High weapon stat "Quality" builds and focus on melee only.

well my level is too high i guess to pvp competitively - i sorta spread my stats out evenly
current build which im using to get 100% trophies
VIT: 40
STR:50
END:40
DEX:38
INT: 16 (taking this to 30)
Faith:16

i will likely make a new char for pvp.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
hey, do you mind posting your build? :)
Er... which one? I kinda got several. ;) Though I don't PvP that much lately. Too broken and kinda boring. I prefer Demon's Souls PvP by far. It's also kinda broken, but it's, ironically enough, so broken that it ends up being balanced (e.g. some stuff might seem OP, but they have good counters). And nothing in DkS is as fun as rocking a DBS mage. ^_^

I would level Endurance to 40, Attunement to 14 and then Vitality to 44 to be at level 125.
Agreed. This guy knows what he's talking about. ^^

Aguirre

Er... which one? I kinda got several. ;) Though I don't PvP that much lately. Too broken and kinda boring. I prefer Demon's Souls PvP by far. It's also kinda broken, but it's, ironically enough, so broken that it ends up being balanced (e.g. some stuff might seem OP, but they have good counters). And nothing in DkS is as fun as rocking a DBS mage. ^_^

Agreed. This guy knows what he's talking about. ^^

hmmm post the build you've put the most hours in ^_^

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Sure. ^^ Since I didn't like the PvP all that much, the ones I played with the most were kind of lol-builds or focused on roleplaying or themes rather than being all FTW. Not completely bad (I won a lot) but not optimized to be super competitive like the Giant MoM zwei zzzz. Of course, they were all built around the darkwood grain ring, and I haven't really PvPed (except mess around in the arena a bit) since the patch that nerfed it. But anyway, here are my two favourite ones with post-patch tweaks:

Sniper

SL 125 Bandit

Vit: 50
Att: -
End: 40
Str: 40
Dex: 40
Res: -
Int: -
Fai: -

Yes, an archer for PvP, I won with it constantly... that's the one thing I prefer DkS over DeS in PvP, it's the bows and crossbows. I had a lot of fun with it. I used a rapier for emergency backstabs against gankers and the likes. Avelyn for surprise finishers. xD

Druid

SL 125 Cleric

Vit: 50
Att: 19
End: 20
Str: 14
Dex: 45
Res: -
Int: -
Fai: 40

Spells:
Great Combustion
Great Chaos Fireball
Wrath of the Gods(x2)
Heavy Soul Arrow

Fun pyro-cleric build. 45 dex for the faster casting time and solid melee damage (you can't spam that great scythe with only 20 endurance, though, this build requires good stamina management), and 40 faith for WotG damage (you could swap out VIT and FAITH, sacrifice HP for more damage). Throw pyros around, switch to the scythe to harass now and then, and go for a surprise WotG at odd times for mix-up. You could replace the scythe with a less stamina-intensive dex weapon (hey, a shotel fits the druid theme too if you want to be nerdy about roleplaying like I am xD). Dark hand for emergency blocking or parrying.

Huge high from taking out S&O with such efficacy... Decided to neck it to the Four Kings... GOT PWND! Are these guys notorious for being noticeably harder in NG+? And I've heard that summoning Beatrice is somewhat pointless/detrimental; any truth in that?

Mask of the Child, Ring of Favor, +5 Knight Crest shield and +15 Claymore. Should probably get on some two-handed action.

Spanks, yo.

EDIT: Ah, didn't summon her for MB, so I guess that option's out.

Celegus

Depending on when you did it could be the reason, the drop rate used to be horrendously low way back before the first major patch. Now though, with 410 item discovery the drop rate is probably around 20%.

That would explain it. I did that and everything else to get my platinum in the first month after release. Glad they made it easier!

Seance

Banned
PvP is shit on PC. SL 30 invading all over the place is the only way to fly. Wailing on noobs and bringing tryhard family mask wearing gankers to their knees in equal measure.

Lordy. New Londo Ruins still freaks me out, even though I know the layout and enemy placement back to front. It's one of those areas that becomes more oppressive the longer you stay in it. Seeing the dimly lit silhouette of a Darkwraith in the distance... Man.

Probably the closest I've ever come to feeling physically "ew" from a video game.

Metaroo

So how many times has everybody replayed this game? Whether thats continuing a NG+, or making a new character.

I've finally come to the end of my second character's story, and I honestly still feel like playing through the story once more through a different character. Frankly, this is the only game I've ever replayed, and the urge to want to continue after TWO run throughs is pretty new to me. Game of the generation, and definitely one my favorite games ever.

Booshka

So how many times has everybody replayed this game? Whether thats continuing a NG+, or making a new character.

I've finally come to the end of my second character's story, and I honestly still feel like playing through the story once more through a different character. Frankly, this is the only game I've ever replayed, and the urge to want to continue after TWO run throughs is pretty new to me. Game of the generation, and definitely one my favorite games ever.

I've probably done nearly 100 playthroughs across about 20 characters lol. Been playing it regularly and consistently since launch.

I've probably done nearly 100 playthroughs across about 20 characters lol. Been playing it regularly and consistently since launch.

Ha. Ridiculous, dude. Kudos.

Me? Once and I made a DS Lego immediately afterwards that took quite a bit of time, so I'm gonna say... 5 times :).

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Dayum. Respect. And I thought I was a nut, with all my different toons xD I have some Westeros-themed characters too. My Melisandre is a pyro/cleric hybrid (nothing like the druid posted above though, she's PvE only and no melee) as befits a red priestess. :D

Whoah@Booshka.

I've probably made between 75-100 characters, but actually taking them all to the end? More like 15-20 playthroughs. I get the Lord Vessel then want to make a new build so I piss about with some PvP in Anor Londo or Dukes and then write over the character with a fresh one. Very much addicted to the first half of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom