• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferr986

I've probably done nearly 100 playthroughs across about 20 characters lol. Been playing it regularly and consistently since launch.

Holy shit man.

So how many times has everybody replayed this game? Whether thats continuing a NG+, or making a new character.

I have 4 characters. 3 at the end of NG+ and the new one Im playing now. I like to go though NG+ to finish my build, NG+ is faster than NG anyways.

Arjen

what builds are the ones in ng++?

sorry guys for keeping asking, but im looking to see what build i can make, lol >.<

First one is my first character, which is a mess, points sprinkled everywhere. SL160 or something
Second one is a DEX/INT. From the top of my head.

Around Lvl 140
40 VIT
44 END
16 ATT
16 STR
40 DEX
45 INT

I used that for PVP when it was at 120.

Aguirre

First one is my first character, which is a mess, points sprinkled everywhere. SL160 or something
Second one is a DEX/INT. From the top of my head.

Around Lvl 140
40 VIT
44 END
16 ATT
16 STR
40 DEX
45 INT

I used that for PVP when it was at 120.

did you assign any points to faith in the 120 build?

Aguirre

ugh you'd think it'd be simple choosing a build. my heart has always been with mage builds, but i always get owned by melee backstabbing griefers.

in demons souls, i held my own as a mage but in DaS it's proving difficult >.<

i guess it shows how good dark souls is, in that there are so many different builds and tactics, no two truly the same.

Soulhouf

I only finished the game 30-40 times.
I started playing the EU version when it came out and once there were no more slots for new characters I switched to the US version. Lately even my US version became full, so I started playing the Japanese version. All PS3 of course.
Lately I almost stopped playing DS to be able to do something else lol but I come back from time to time, like Demon's Souls.

My first character was an absolute atrocity. Points put in RES, no idea how to ascend weapons or use magic so I deleted that after getting stuck and quitting DS for about half a year.

My 2nd attempt and first proper character was a heavy hitter/pyro with several weapons including lighting claymore+5, BKGA+5 and a man serpent greatsword+15 and fully upgraded pyro. Finished NG++ at about SL160.

3rd character was a DEX/INT build wrecking shit with my baller' swag sword+15 and tons of wrecking ball sorceries and magic buffs. Finished NG+ at SL125.

Just started another playtrough as a STR/FAITH build. Just joined the warrior of sunlight covenant and am wreaking all kinds of havoc with a +15 Zweihander (jesus this sword is fucking awesome) buffed with sunlight blade. At about SL 75 and busy getting summoned at the Royal Wood, helping people with either Artorias or Kalameet. Fucking Kalameet always gets me though. Probably my vote for hardest boss of the game, right below O&S and Gwyn (I suck at parrying lol).

Aguirre

My first character was an absolute atrocity. Points put in RES, no idea how to ascend weapons or use magic so I deleted that after getting stuck and quitting DS for about half a year.

My 2nd attempt and first proper character was a heavy hitter/pyro with several weapons including lighting claymore+5, BKGA+5 and a man serpent greatsword+15 and fully upgraded pyro. Finished NG++ at about SL160.

3rd character was a DEX/INT build wrecking shit with my baller' swag sword+15 and tons of wrecking ball sorceries and magic buffs. Finished NG+ at SL125.

Just started another playtrough as a STR/FAITH build. Just joined the warrior of sunlight covenant and am wreaking all kinds of havoc with a +15 Zweihander (jesus this sword is fucking awesome) buffed with sunlight blade. At about SL 75 and busy getting summoned at the Royal Wood, helping people with either Artorias or Kalameet. Fucking Kalameet always gets me though. Probably my vote for hardest boss of the game, right below O&S and Gwyn (I suck at parrying lol).

oh god str/faith build with perhaps some sprinklings of advanced pyromancy sounds so freaking tempting >.< yes

yes i think this will be the direction i will go in!!

so spend souls on:
STR
FAITH
END
VIT

anything else???

Mxrz

ugh you'd think it'd be simple choosing a build. my heart has always been with mage builds, but i always get owned by melee backstabbing griefers.

in demons souls, i held my own as a mage but in DaS it's proving difficult >.<

i guess it shows how good dark souls is, in that there are so many different builds and tactics, no two truly the same.

I hate to sound jaded and bitter, but I really wish this was true. Most of the time its a hybrid and/or backstab fisher.

Dex/Magic is probably the most popular, followed by Dex/Faith. Strength/Faith or Magic isn't too uncommon, but the slower weapons don't get as much out of the buffs.

I originally had a pure mage, but taking her to 120 I ended up raising dex too. After that, CMW + Rapier did more damage than any spells. Although I never played around with the DLC spells all that much.

Joe White

So how many times has everybody replayed this game? Whether thats continuing a NG+, or making a new character.

I've replayed the game about 4 times; one time on 360 and now 3 times on PC. I just managed to get the Dark Soul achievement on PC (all achievements completed) and that alone requires one char up to NG++ at least (three Sif souls).

I've now left my pyro on NG++ and started new round with STR/Faith build in mind. My ultimate plan is to be able to wield Grant and smash everyone.

Celegus

I've messed around a little with new characters, but the only one I've actually beat the game with was my original Str/Faith dude. He's in NG++++ now I think. Pretty much how I played Demon's Souls as well, I tend to stick with one character and just do everything with them.

It's from the DLC yep very early on, the angle makes it look more interesting than it actually is.

that has to be apart of dlc, which im currently playing through. its certainly, i dont think, from the main game

Yes it should be from the DLC, since the texture are really reminescent of the initial zone and I'm guessing around the Guardian/Elizabeth areas. But I can't recall it!! I'm not home yet, so I'll check it out in the evening!

Raptomex

So I'm a knight and I got up to the
Taurus Demon
and I suck, lol. I can't even beat that first night dude. And is there a way to kill the skeletons? I just ran through the graveyard and got the items.

Ferr986

So I'm a knight and I got up to the Taurus Demon and I suck, lol. I can't even beat that first night dude. And is there a way to kill the skeletons? I just ran through the graveyard and got the items.

You can cheap the Taurus Demon by doing a plunge attack over and over.
Climb the tower, kill the 2 hollows, plunge attack him, bail it to the other side of the bridge, come back to climb the first tower, plunge attack, rinse and repeat.

For the skeletons, you'll go there later.

oh god str/faith build with perhaps some sprinklings of advanced pyromancy sounds so freaking tempting >.< yes

yes i think this will be the direction i will go in!!

so spend souls on:
STR
FAITH
END
VIT

anything else???

If you want to do miracles and pyromancy, I suggest putting some points in ATT as well. I think 22 ATT gives you 5 slots? Should be plenty.

Edit: just checked, 19 ATT gives you 5 slots and 23 ATT gives you 6.

I hope they make whips viable in DS2. Someone posted a Simon Belmont roleplay build in the new comers thread and thought it might be fun to adapt it a little since I've never done a whip-only run.

Usually I do a homeward bone trip down to Blighttown for the items at the start any way, so I extended a little to get the whip too, then upgraded it +5. The hollow soldiers outside the Parish took two hits to kill @ +5! That is pathetic damage, and with it's slow attack, no ability to riposte/backstab OR do a plunging attack, the whip at least puts a bit of challenge back into things. I like the Estoc and Mail Breaker a lot too which are kind of wimpy at a low level, but at least they can do critical attacks.

Thinking of making it a fire whip for the increase in damage until I get the notched whip to take to a full +15 then pair it up with miracles or magic, since the whip is a dex weapon, that would be a int/dex build which isn't that unusual in PvP I hear *wink, wink*

Just entered Sanctuary Gardens for the first time in my NG+. It feels both frightening and exhilarating to have no idea what's ahead after 30 hours or so of retreading vanilla DS ground.

Do you guys suggest staying away from wikis and just going in (and hopefully coming out) completely blind? I don't want to miss out on anything special.

dsvoid

Neo Member
Just entered Sanctuary Gardens for the first time in my NG+. It feels both frightening and exhilarating to have no idea what's ahead after 30 hours or so of retreading vanilla DS ground.

Do you guys suggest staying away from wikis and just going in (and hopefully coming out) completely blind? I don't want to miss out on anything special.

Just try to remember where all the locked doors are and search meticulously to get the most out of it. I suggest wiki-ing after you beat all of the bosses.

Just try to remember where all the locked doors are and search meticulously to get the most out of it. I suggest wiki-ing after you beat all of the bosses.

Sweet.

I am really digging the new areas aesthetically; quite the contrast to the usual oppressive and bleak landscapes DS does so well, but I'm sure they'll be back before too long.

And those vegetable-looking pitchfork guys! Adorable.

How many hours of content would you say the DLC adds?

Booshka

Sweet.

I am really digging the new areas aesthetically; quite the contrast to the usual oppressive and bleak landscapes DS does so well, but I'm sure they'll be back before too long.

And those vegetable-looking pitchfork guys! Adorable.

How many hours of content would you say the DLC adds?

5-10 hours depending on how much time you take individually.

njean777

So I have started NG+ and have about 48 Dex. I run with uchigatana lvl 15, and gold tracer when I want to change it up. I have been dumbing points into endurance in order to wear my Dark Set so I can move faster and roll faster is this a good move? My build is pretty much full dex, with vitality and endurance sprinkled in. Will leveling endurance make me be able to move like I am wearing light armor if I keep dumping points into it or no?

Booshka

So I have started NG+ and have about 48 Dex. I run with uchigatana lvl 15, and gold tracer when I want to change it up. I have been dumbing points into endurance in order to wear my Dark Set so I can move faster and roll faster is this a good move? My build is pretty much full dex, with vitality and endurance sprinkled in. Will leveling endurance make me be able to move like I am wearing light armor if I keep dumping points into it or no?

Yes, and stop leveling dexterity, points could be better spent elsewhere. Endurance, Vitality or Attunement.

njean777

Yes, and stop leveling dexterity, points could be better spent elsewhere. Endurance, Vitality or Attunement.

Alright, why attunement? I rarely if ever use my pyromancy skills. Although I could use them more this playthrough I guess. Ill just dump points in vitality and endurance. Would strength benefit me at all? I doubt it, but just wondering...

Booshka

Alright, why attunement? I rarely if ever use my pyromancy skills. Although I could use them more this playthrough I guess. Ill just dump points in vitality and endurance. Would strength benefit me at all? I doubt it, but just wondering...

High Dexterity (45) will decrease casting times on Pyromancy and Sorcery, so since you already put a lot of points into dex, having a few spell slots for some pyro spells would be very nice. If you dont care at all about spells, though, then dont bother. Just level Vitality and Endurance, if you are only going to use the Uchi, then Strength will not benefit at all, because it scales solely from Dexterity, if you are going to use different weapons though, try going to 28 Strength for some more options and scaling bonus for damage.

Keasar

Quick question, I was human for the first time ever of playing the game and I got immediately invaded by someone. I tried to fight him but all my attacks did around maybe 15 damage on him, not a visible scratch on his healthbar while he was constantly running against my trying to make some close quarter magic attack on me which kept missing but just did an unarmed attack that took a third of my life. Finally, I died by running against a monster and having it stab me to death with the guy standing on my corpse and taunting me.

What is the point of going human? It doesn't seem to bring any bonuses, the invading pricks are so overpowered that I cant scratch them and it only wastes humanity I could use on kindling fires.

Shinjica

Quick question, I was human for the first time ever of playing the game and I got immediately invaded by someone. I tried to fight him but all my attacks did around maybe 15 damage on him, not a visible scratch on his healthbar while he was constantly running against my trying to make some close quarter magic attack on me which kept missing but just did an unarmed attack that took a third of my life. Finally, I died by running against a monster and having it stab me to death with the guy standing on my corpse and taunting me.

What is the point of going human? It doesn't seem to bring any bonuses, the invading pricks are so overpowered that I cant scratch them and it only wastes humanity I could use on kindling fires.

Not all the invasion are like that

Shinjica

But it isn't exactly a motivation of going back and taking the risk.

For me, invasion are fun. Even if i die againt someone more strong than me or against a cheater.

Plus, you want to stay human, gaining the possibility to kindle bonfire and summon people? Good but there are risk, getting invaded.

Soulhouf

You need to be human to kindle the bonfire.

Other than that there are some items you can only get by killing NPC invaders and thus you need to be human.
Being human exposes you to to invasions but also you can summon help.

And the most important part: I hate looking a hideous zombie, so I always try to be in human form.

Keasar

Ah, didn't know you had to be human too. Still, after that steamrolling I am not that excited trying again. Cause all he did was just being a dick, slow walk, do the occasional magic and ONLY that magic even if it missed all the time.

Shinjica

Ah, didn't know you had to be human too. Still, after that steamrolling I am not that excited trying again. Cause all he did was just being a dick, slow walk, do the occasional magic and ONLY that magic even if it missed all the time.

Magic are easy to dodge, plus you can try use the environment to kill your invader, like kick him out to his death. And ont gudge invasion only for one bad one, there are plenty who are good.

It's frustrating, almost all invaders at low level are twinked out with max gear, let's be honest. 9 times out of 10 when I get invaded in the Parish it's some twonk in Havel's set with a dragonslayer spear and one great combustion from their maxed out pyro glove is going to one shot you.

Don't be disheartened, once you get a little further in the game your gear soon starts to match theirs and it becomes a little fairer, although they're probably seasoned players so most likely will still have the advantage since they know the level layouts and enemy patterns etc.

You can still co-op for others whilst hollow and get the rewards, but can only summon co-op helpers for yourself when human, so it's worth going human if you want the fun of co-op.

Keasar

I will definitely keep trying but for now I will stay away from going human, its like playing World of Warcraft on PVP servers the first year all over.

Shinjica

Don't be disheartened, once you get a little further in the game your gear soon starts to match theirs and it becomes a little fairer, although they're probably seasoned players so most likely will still have the advantage since they know the level layouts and enemy patterns etc.

But this is not what happen in every competitive game? You can find people who are much more experienced than you or the opposite.

I will definitely keep trying but for now I will stay away from going human, its like playing World of Warcraft on PVP servers the first year all over.

Like i said, sometime you win, sometime you lose. The game was created with the interaction of the player, cooperative and competitive, if you miss that, you'll miss a good part of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom