• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty taken aback at
how early into the DLC the Artorias fight is
. It was good fun, though. That damn leap > plunge attack is pure clutch; took me a few attempts to realise that you have to roll right at the last minute to escape it.

Seanspeed

Banned
I will definitely keep trying but for now I will stay away from going human, its like playing World of Warcraft on PVP servers the first year all over.

I dont blame you. If you think you're gonna do multiple playthroughs after this one, then maybe you should probably start to get some practice in to keep things interesting later on, but otherwise, if you're not enjoying the multiplayer, you dont need to keep going with it. The single-player aspects are perfectly good on their own.

Aguirre

Pretty taken aback at
how early into the DLC the Artorias fight is
. It was good fun, though. That damn leap > plunge attack is pure clutch; took me a few attempts to realise that you have to roll right at the last minute to escape it.

when you go back to place where you defeated artorias, there will be a women praying beside a gravestone. she'll ask for artorias soul... give it to her and she'll give you 2 weapons. then kill her and she'll drop more stuff :D

Keasar

Like i said, sometime you win, sometime you lose. The game was created with the interaction of the player, cooperative and competitive, if you miss that, you'll miss a good part of the game.

That it may be but I am having fun enough trying to survive the monsters and so far don't feel I have really missed anything by not getting ganked all the time.

when you go back to place where you defeated artorias, there will be a women praying beside a gravestone. she'll ask for artorias soul... give it to her and she'll give you 2 weapons. then kill her and she'll drop more stuff :D

Ice cold!
I let her live and kept the soul, as I wanted to look into the Abyss Greatsword, but it's totally outside my build's parameters. Laaaaame. Very cool looking sword.

But this is not what happen in every competitive game? You can find people who are much more experienced than you or the opposite.
Experienced yes, but I consider using equipment the other person doesn't have access to on purpose as an unfair advantage. Let's be honest - low level twinked out invaders are only doing it to grief - there's no other reward.

If they have all that gear, they're at a point in the game that they don't need a couple of hundred souls and 1 humanity from killing the host. And that's if they legitimately played through the game at low level to get the gear - I hazard a guess that the vast majority of low level invaders use mule/bb glitch characters.

You expect tough competition at this point in a game's life, I'm just saying it's lame to cheat or at least to get a vastly unfair advantage for no other purpose than to grief newer players. It's why I like staying low level and open to invasion myself, because you can legitimately beat twinked out low level invaders and it's great fun throwing their shit back in their faces!

Sullichin

Experienced yes, but I consider using equipment the other person doesn't have access to on purpose as an unfair advantage. Let's be honest - low level twinked out invaders are only doing it to grief - there's no other reward.

If they have all that gear, they're at a point in the game that they don't need a couple of hundred souls and 1 humanity from killing the host. And that's if they legitimately played through the game at low level to get the gear - I hazard a guess that the vast majority of low level invaders use mule/bb glitch characters.

You expect tough competition at this point in a game's life, I'm just saying it's lame to cheat or at least to get a vastly unfair advantage for no other purpose than to grief newer players. It's why I like staying low level and open to invasion myself, because you can legitimately beat twinked out low level invaders and it's great fun throwing their shit back in their faces!

Try gravelording in the parish at SL120 in your next NG. You'll pull in a ton of twink invaders who really won't stand a chance, infect people in NG+ with black phantoms, and fight those people too if they find your sign. You'll mostly be fighting twinks though.. but gravelording acts like a dried finger so you can really piss them off because they will probably invade over and over. It is awesome when they first invade, send you a cocky message, you destroy them, and they black crystal out the next time.

SaberVulcan

So I am in the process of beating this game for the first time and its really a lot of fun after you get a handle on the controls. Some of the Lore is just... incredible. Like I joined the covenant for
Quelaan, and I found out how to get the Witches Ring... and after hearing her dialouge.. the writing is just so good.

For curious ears: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRbZVx6SuOE

The DarkSouls wiki claims you do not even have to give her the soul before killing her to get all the spoils. Wouldnt the "best" path be to just kill her and keep the Soul?

Ferr986

Just got to the DLC on my new character. Man, the
Artorias
fight is still so awesome, without coop and a tank/melee build is truly a duel of knights. Best battle on Dark Souls and one of the best of the gen.

Just got to the DLC on my new character. Man, the
Artorias
fight is still so awesome, without coop and a tank/melee build is truly a duel of knights. Best battle on Dark Souls and one of the best of the gen.

That fight is really great, and a real challenge. It's one of those battles that took me so many times to beat my first try, that it's all the sudden quite easy on subsequent playthroughs, because I have ever single one of his moves memorized.

njean777

That fight is really great, and a real challenge. It's one of those battles that took me so many times to beat my first try, that it's all the sudden quite easy on subsequent playthroughs, because I have ever single one of his moves memorized.

I summoned 2 extra people on the fight (still feel bad about that), although I beat Manus myself. I feel Artorias should have been after Kalameet as Kalameet really wasnt hard at all.I summoned a guy for Kalameet and he ended up dying so I had to continue the fight myself and beat him the first try.

Soulhouf

Try gravelording in the parish at SL120 in your next NG. You'll pull in a ton of twink invaders who really won't stand a chance, infect people in NG+ with black phantoms, and fight those people too if they find your sign. You'll mostly be fighting twinks though.. but gravelording acts like a dried finger so you can really piss them off because they will probably invade over and over. It is awesome when they first invade, send you a cocky message, you destroy them, and they black crystal out the next time.

Seeing twinked cowards black crystal out is probably the most satisfying feeling ever.

Ferr986

Yeah I ended up memorizing his attacks too , but after a 5 months break of the game I forgot his moveset and had to re-learn it again. Died a couple of times but it was so much fun.

I summoned 2 extra people on the fight (still feel bad about that), although I beat Manus myself. I feel Artorias should have been after Kalameet as Kalameet really wasnt hard at all.I summoned a guy for Kalameet and he ended up dying so I had to continue the fight myself and beat him the first try.

i remember Kalameet being the hardest for me (Manus the easiest). Didnt get to it yet.

I was watching an old speedrun where someone jumped off the edge where the altar is and quit the game to get inside the Kiln, does that still work? If so how come more recent speedruns don't use it, is it regarded as cheating or using a 'glitch?'

Man, the Greatshield of Artorias is ha-youuuuuge. Had to do some serious wardrobe adjustments to stay under 25% and keep that roll/movement speed. Pretty sure I'm about 0.2 away from Slowville.

On another note, I love how wearing the Mask of the Child makes you look like an absolute mass-murderin' sadist.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Man, the Greatshield of Artorias is ha-youuuuuge. Had to do some serious wardrobe adjustments to stay under 25% and keep that roll/movement speed. Pretty sure I'm about 0.2 away from Slowville.

On another note, I love how wearing the Mask of the Child makes you look like an absolute mass-murderin' sadist.

It's so friggin amazing tho.

Shinjica

I dont say its fair but you still have the possibility to win the fight using other methods (kick him off the edge, using item, poison, etc) and even if you lose, you've learned something (type of weapon, map area where to fight, item used against you, etc).

Plus this happen in same sort of way in the other competitive game and i dont see people complain.

My STR build is going well. It's only the 2nd time in 250+ hours across my other characters that I've revisited Ash Lake. The tree was a bit of a fucker but was basically a sprint to the bottom! :)

Bosses down:
Capra Demon
Quelaag
Ceaseless Discharge

Large Ember obtained, 2nd bell rung, went to Ash Lake to get the sword from the Dragon. I can't use it yet as it has a 50 STR requirement, but won't be too long. I've also joined the Forest Hunters so off back to Blighttown now to meet up Shiva to buy some weaponry off of him, and then it's time to goto Sens. I fucking love Shiva, I'd love to know more about him and where he's from. "From the East" is intriguing :) Bit of a slug hunt for Large Titanites too :)

I am running half Elite Knight armor and Red Crimson for lower armor at the moment until my END has raised up enough for the weapon load to use full set. Tempted to take out Havel for his ring, but I am using two rings at the moment (Cloranthy and Favor and Protection).

Will revisit Ash Lake again to get Hydra for Dragon Scale and the one I missed on the beach, not but until I've got the Lord Vessel.

Any recommendations for STR armour? I am thinking Havel if I can get my END up, or maybe Silver Knight set. Basically swinging an Ultra Great Sword.

krakov

No?

You play a Racing game and your opponent already know the track or someone bump you out the road, it's so different from Dark Souls?

In a fighting game your opponent know all the combo or only use the same attack, it's so different from dark souls?

It's not what they are talking about. You can get equipment that will make you close to invincible when invading at a low level. It's an unfair advantage not in any way similar to the examples above.

Ferr986

No?

You play a Racing game and your opponent already know the track or someone bump you out the road, it's so different from Dark Souls?

In a fighting game your opponent know all the combo or only use the same attack, it's so different from dark souls?

Its not, because those people are wearing equipment from the late game (using the bottomless box glitch) unobtainable for the new players, meaning that they have a clearly advantage unrelated to skill and knowledge.

BB glitch was patched but a lot of people have different characters prepared for low level invasions.

Shinjica

Its not, because those people are wearing equipment from the late game (using the bottomless box glitch) unobtainable for the new players, meaning that they have a clearly advantage unrelated to skill and knowledge.

BB glitch was patched but a lot of people have different characters prepared for low level invasions.

Yes you're right but still my other point is valid

1) Not all the invasion are like that
2) You can learn thing from invasion, even from overpowered or cheating invaders.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
The only thing you can learn from a decked-out invader one-shotting you as you wander the Burg in starter equipment is that you should just stay hollow.

Aguirre

So I am in the process of beating this game for the first time and its really a lot of fun after you get a handle on the controls. Some of the Lore is just... incredible. Like I joined the covenant for
Quelaan, and I found out how to get the Witches Ring... and after hearing her dialouge.. the writing is just so good.

For curious ears: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRbZVx6SuOE

The DarkSouls wiki claims you do not even have to give her the soul before killing her to get all the spoils. Wouldnt the "best" path be to just kill her and keep the Soul?

well yeah.. if you're ice cold. :(

Ferr986

You don't need to bottomless box glitch to get great gear at low levels....

I know. That doesnt mean that there were a lot of people who used it for transfer all their upgraded gear to a new character and pvp with it.

What was the bottomless box glitch?

You could transfer all what was in a bottomless box of a created character to the the box of a new one created after doing the glitch.

Miletius

Question for you veterans. It's my first time playing. I'm a couple of hours in I think.

Spoilers ahead:
I'm at the Undead Parish. Last night I experienced the first death where I couldn't get back to my body and lost all my humanity. Sad times. At any rate, I was wondering if it was too early for me to face the gargoyles on the roof (where I died). There's a side path to what looks like a large castle that I can't get into and then below that there's a boss looking demon in the basement next to the smith. Should I head to the demon first, or should I concentrate on taking out the gargoyles. I must have died for 45 minutes straight on them yesterday, I can never survive 2 of them.

Ferr986

Question for you veterans. It's my first time playing. I'm a couple of hours in I think.

Go to the gargolyes. Just concentrate on kill one of them as fast as possible. Try to circle behind them so you can avoid getting caught on their fire breath.

if you meet Solaire at the bridge where you saw the red dragon and you're in human form, you can summon him at the entrance of the gargolyes battlefield, just before the white fog. He does a good job keeping one of the gargolyes busy.

If you didnt meet him , you can just go back and do it. You could also summon other players help. Take in mind you can only see summon signs in human forn.

Spoilers ahead:
I'm at the Undead Parish. Last night I experienced the first death where I couldn't get back to my body and lost all my humanity. Sad times. At any rate, I was wondering if it was too early for me to face the gargoyles on the roof (where I died). There's a side path to what looks like a large castle that I can't get into and then below that there's a boss looking demon in the basement next to the smith. Should I head to the demon first, or should I concentrate on taking out the gargoyles. I must have died for 45 minutes straight on them yesterday, I can never survive 2 of them.

Like Ferr986 said, you probably want to kill the Gargoyles at this point. Summoning someone to help should make it pretty easy. Also, if you still have some Lightning resin you can put that on your weapon for a lot more damage. Have you upgraded your weapon yet? If not, go to the Blacksmith and get your weapon to +5. If you don't have enough souls to buy the necessary Titanite Shards you can farm the hollows just outside of where Andre is. They occasionally drop shards, but if you don't get any you can use the souls to buy some.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
So I decided I was tired of knowing pve while being totally clueless at pvp, and decided to dust off an old build to try to learn it. How good/bad is this build? I know it's not optimal, but the Lifehunt Scythe is one of my most familiar weapons and I feel super comfortable with its moveset. I think I can tweak it to be servicable for pvp.

I don't have the exact parameters off the top of my head, but it's something like:

Starting class: Pyro
Currently level 75ish. Heading for 115 or so.

25 Vit (will go for 50)
31 End (will go for 40 or 50)
40 Dex
Everything else default, or close to it. Maybe 12 faith for self healing (I used to be a sunbro. Just joined catbros).

Left Hand:
- +10 Bloodshield
- +5 Ascended Pyro flame

Right Hand:
- +5 Lifehunt Scythe
- Blank (trying to decide what to hold here)

Rings: Havel's and FaP

Armor: Don't have the exact pieces, but I think it has around 56 poise and fast roll once I have the stats to support it.

I spent some time Catbroing last night and got owned all day, though I think I'm learning something between playing and also watching a stream of an experienced PvPer. I started landing more hits after a while, and managed to roll-backstab a guy to punish his attempt at using WoTG on me. It was one of my only wins that day, but it felt good.

Spoilers ahead:
You can go
down to the demon below, which leads to a new area and a few things. I think in my first playthrough I went that route first before coming back and fighting the gargoyles. You can run right past the demon if you're worried about fighting him right now. You can take him out right now too, but you don't have to.

I don't have any recommendations for the route you should take, but keep in mind you'll have to fight the gargoyles eventually.

Miletius

Thanks for all the responses. I'll get back at it maybe tonight if I have time. My weapons have not been upgraded at all yet. I have plenty of Titanite shards though. I was saving them since I got a
giant sword from a black knight but I'm not able to wield it yet
. I currently have a regular old halberd, it's pretty good for taking out people right now, did quite a bit of damage to kill them.

Thanks for all the responses. I'll get back at it maybe tonight if I have time. My weapons have not been upgraded at all yet. I have plenty of Titanite shards though. I was saving them since I got a
. I currently have a regular old halberd, it's pretty good for taking out people right now, did quite a bit of damage to kill them.

Definitely, DEFINITELY upgrade a weapon. Saving shards isn't too useful, because as the game goes on you will have tons of them, and enough souls to buy plenty more. So it's not a problem to switch weapons and upgrade a different one. (Even large titanite and chunks are pretty easy to come by later in the game, if you know where to farm them.)

The halberd is a really good weapon, so if you like using it take it to +5. It'll make the gargoyles a lot easier.

krakov

Akuun: Lifehunt scythe is a good weapon but very dangerous when you meet opponents with bleed weapons which is very common these days. Try out the great scythe which I think has the same moveset but doesnt build bleed on oneself.

The
black knight weapons
don't upgrade with regular titanite, so go ahead and use your shards on the Halberd, it's a damn fine weapon!

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Hey Dark Souls-GAF I posted this in the other thread DS thread yesterday (got mixed up somehow) and Red Liquorice was nice enough to respond however I'd like some more input if possible.

Class: Warrior
Gift: Goddess's Blessing
Physique: Large

Level 34
Vitality 22
Attunement 10
Endurance 15
Strength 26
Dexterity 13
Resistance 11
Intelligence 10
Faith 9

I'm at Darkroot Gardens right before the fight with that Butterfly boss.

I've read online that as a warrior, or any class, you should level up 4 different character traits, so I'm not really sure what to focus on outside of Strength and Vitality.

I have 75,000 souls waiting to help level up my character. I want to be able to use Heal, Fire and other magic if possible with my Warrior, but I'm still not sure how, or what to level up to use spells....

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Akuun: Lifehunt scythe is a good weapon but very dangerous when you meet opponents with bleed weapons which is very common these days. Try out the great scythe which I think has the same moveset but doesnt build bleed on oneself.
Cool, didn't think of other people using the Lifehunt's bleed effect against me. I also want to use the bleed effect of the Lifehunt myself, but I'll keep in mind that the great scythe is a good alternative. Thanks.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Hey Dark Souls-GAF I posted this in the other thread DS thread yesterday (got mixed up somehow) and Red Liquorice was nice enough to respond however I'd like some more input if possible.

I've read online that as a warrior, or any class, you should level up 4 different character traits, so I'm not really sure what to focus on outside of Strength and Vitality.

I have 75,000 souls waiting to help level up my character. I want to be able to use Heal, Fire and other magic if possible with my Warrior, but I'm still not sure how, or what to level up to use spells....

You'll want endurance so you have more stamina and can wear heavier gear.

In order to use Pyromancy (fire) you need a Pyromancer glove which you can get from Laurentius of the Great Swamp. You find him initially in the Depths near the 2nd Butcher. After that, talk to him in Firelink Shrine and you can also buy spells off him. You don't need to upgrade any stats to use Pyro, just focus on upgrading your glove to increase the damage.

In order to use Heal you need to upgrade your Faith to 14 and use a Talisman in order to cast it. The easiest way to do so is talk to Petrus of Thorolund (the dude in firelink shrine near the elevater to the Undead Parish church). He sells a Talisman and some miracles, including Heal. The higher your Faith is, the more effective casting Heal will be.

Now, I highly suggest putting points in Attunement as well, since this adds more slots in your attunement. Every type of magic, whether it be sorcery, pyro or miracles, needs to be equipped in an attunement slot (or 2) so that you can cast it. You can equip magic at the bonfires, where it says "Attune Magic". Then equip the talisman to cast miracles, or the pyro glove to cast pyro spells.

Also, like the guy above me said, focus more on Endurance as well! It increases your stamina bar, which is arguably more important than your health bar, and increases your equipment load, which means you can wear heavier gear and use heavier weapons and still retain your mobility.

Good luck!

Obtained a few new weapons for my STR build last night, and made it to my favourite area of the game, Anor Lando. Can't wait for some very very Jolly co-operation here! I've got my Zweihander at +10 now, not sure whether to keep on ascending it, or turn it into a Lightning version. That might be fun, especially as I have a couple other weapons I can level up now too.

I obtained:

Demon Great Machete
Demon's Greataxe
Greatsword

I summoned Iron Knight Tarkus for the boss at Sen's so I might try his armor out when I get to them in Anor Lando. Not sure if they're any good, but as a heavy weight set they might be worth a look.

Will never get bored of this game.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Obtained a few new weapons for my STR build last night, and made it to my favourite area of the game, Anor Lando. Can't wait for some very very Jolly co-operation here! I've got my Zweihander at +10 now, not sure whether to keep on ascending it, or turn it into a Lightning version. That might be fun, especially as I have a couple other weapons I can level up now too.

I obtained:

Demon Great Machete
Demon's Greataxe
Greatsword

I summoned Iron Knight Tarkus for the boss at Sen's so I might try his armor out when I get to them in Anor Lando. Not sure if they're any good, but as a heavy weight set they might be worth a look.

Will never get bored of this game.

Zwei bro!

Now just buy the Catarina armor and you can join the Ancient Order of the Onion Knights!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom