• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamVimes

Yesterday i was in the Duke archives, at the bonfire closest to the crystal caves and while i was waiting to be summoned by a friend some kind of spidery thing that i never saw spawned on the stairs and after i killed it (i think it had around 500 hp, maybe less) it dropped an humanity.
What was it? If it matters i was in human form.

Arjen

Yesterday i was in the Duke archives, at the bonfire closest to the crystal caves and while i was waiting to be summoned by a friend some kind of spidery thing that i never saw spawned on the stairs and after i killed it (i think it had around 500 hp, maybe less) it dropped an humanity.
What was it? If it matters i was in human form.

It's called a Vagrant, they appear when other people drop items or lose souls/ humanity in their game.
300+ hours, and i never saw one :(

SamVimes

It's called a Vagrant, they appear when other people drop items or lose souls/ humanity in their game.
300+ hours, and i never saw one :(
Thanks! That's actually hilarious because my friend lost around 10 humanity a little time earlier, so that might have something to do with it.

Inversive

Is the community still strong for this game? Thinking of picking up the dlc and starting a fresh run but it wouldn't be the same without summoning/being summoned :(

on ps3

Ferr986

Is the community still strong for this game? Thinking of picking up the dlc and starting a fresh run but it wouldn't be the same without summoning/being summoned :(

I recently created a new character on Xbox and I was surprised how lively it still was even at low levels. Lots of jolly co-op. PS3 should be even better.

on ps3
It's still very active, jump in!

In other news: my whip run is getting boring - the things are complete shit for damage and it's too slow to be fun to use for any length of time. Wish they have something more unique to them, they seem to stagger enemy shields in PvE, but only in the same way a kick would, but with a little damage. Unique weapons should have unique properties, if they have low damage it should be offset by some other advantage. Disappointing.

Just reached a large wall of White Light in the
Chasm of the Abyss
;
Manus
?

Also, are the adorable* little 'humanity monsters' more or less farmable humanity? That would be cool.

*fucking horrifying.

Just reached a large wall of White Light in the
Chasm of the Abyss
;
Manus
?

Also, are the adorable* little 'humanity monsters' more or less farmable humanity? That would be cool.

*fucking horrifying.

Yes to both questions.

It's the best place in the game to farm humanity.

Sah-weet. Thanks. So, I'm done in terms of
explorable areas in the DLC?

There's some secret areas...
Have you saved Sif yet? Also, have you killed Kalameet? There's also some dark magic spells laying around somewhere, although I generally don't go get them.

Inversive

Great, thanks for the replies guys. I'll probably make a Conan build, I remember it being fun as hell running around with a 2hander destroying dudes :p

Ziek

His wife just had a baby, so I bet he'll be pretty busy for awhile. It'll probably be some time before he posts another video.

Ah ok.

He's the best commentator I've come across on YouTube. Once people beat Dark Souls they HAVE to check out his videos. He brings forward so much depth and intrigue. It's fascinating.

Loxley

Speaking of ENB, I just came across his stuff last night.

See, this is the kind of game commentary I love, he doesn't just do awesome shit - he explains how he does it in a very clear and easy-to-grasp way. I'm watching his first Dark Days playthrough and I have no idea how I made as far into Dark Souls as I did without knowing half of the things he talks about.

I really love his lore videos especially. Most Dark Souls commentators seem mainly focused on PVP, or just the gameplay in general, but I love how ENB focuses on the lore, and explains so many things I had no idea about.

Sullichin

ENB posts a lot of great videos. Unfortunately his popularity attracts a lot of haters so you see a lot of negativity toward him on other boards. I have nothing negative to say about his videos, although I do think he might have too much influence - see everyone suddenly using the great scythe, or regurgitating his lore opinions as canon, for example.

Ziek

ENB posts a lot of great videos. Unfortunately his popularity attracts a lot of haters so you see a lot of negativity toward him on other boards. I have nothing negative to say about his videos, although I do think he might have too much influence - see everyone suddenly using the great scythe, or regurgitating his lore opinions as canon, for example.

I've yet to see anything negative about him. Other than jealousy, how could people hate him? He's humble and he knows his stuff.

Arjen

I get what your saying, but that's not his fault at all, he states that the lore is his intepretation and that he's speculating all the time. And for the weapons he just presents the raw numbers and the states his personal preferences. He really doesn't deserve the hate, i loved every single one of his video's.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Opinions on a +15 Uchigatana for a STR/DEX build at 46/45?

Your STR is completely wasted on an uchi, it scales strictly with DEX. I'd use a Murakumo instead. Or maybe a great scythe. Or, use the uchi and a backup STR weapon, so that your STR stat isn't entirely wasted.

I almost suggested the washing pole, at it scales with both, but the AR calculator shows it'd barely be stronger than your uchi... it has more reach than the uchi, at least. If you really want to use a katana, go with that.

What you guys think? is 50 strength good enough for a strength build? I'm pretty oblivious about where they stop scaling.

main weapon: Demon's greataxe +15 (it looks very intimidating,slow,but I like the whole give and take,make pvp very interesting,specially against mages since I lack any good defence against them)

also is faith worth investing? I would like to use God's wrath,never got around using it with my first character.

Edit: or am I better off using force? it seems faith helps increase my magic defense...

Your STR is completely wasted on an uchi, it scales strictly with DEX. I'd use a Murakumo instead. Or maybe a great scythe. Or, use the uchi and a backup STR weapon, so that your STR stat isn't entirely wasted.

I almost suggested the washing pole, at it scales with both, but the AR calculator shows it'd barely be stronger than your uchi... it has more reach than the uchi, at least. If you really want to use a katana, go with that.

Yeah, I'd heard about the WP's poor scaling (the absurd length also makes it look a bit silly). I would really like to rock a Katana, though.

And I do have a Fire Murakumo, which is great, but it's bloody weighty, so it limits my aesthetic options quite a bit. I love being able to roll around at full speed, whilst rocking Artorias' armour, Greatshield and a +15 Greatsword.

Man, I wish I knew about diminishing returns before I mindlessly pumped so many souls into STR & DEX. Luckily for me, when I had even less of an idea, I had pumped all my souls into END, which is somewhat less diminishing (though pretty stingy at 47).

Ahhhhh, well! Thanks, man.

Soulhouf

Yeah, I'd heard about the WP's poor scaling (the absurd length also makes it look a bit silly). I would really like to rock a Katana, though.

And I do have a Fire Murakumo, which is great, but it's bloody weighty, so it limits my aesthetic options quite a bit. I love being able to roll around at full speed, whilst rocking Artorias' armour, Greatshield and a +15 Greatsword.

Man, I wish I knew about diminishing returns before I mindlessly pumped so many souls into STR & DEX. Luckily for me, when I had even less of an idea, I had pumped all my souls into END, which is somewhat less diminishing (though pretty stingy at 47).

Ahhhhh, well! Thanks, man.

Washing Pole+15 has a great scaling with your stats. It will hit harder than Ushigatana and its reach is spectacular.
You can't go back after trying it.
Also, Fire Murakumo with your stats? WTF. Are you aware that you are doing the same amount of damage as someone who has only 28 str and 13 dex?
When you invest in stats for scaling, using non scaling weapons is such a waste...

Also, Fire Murakumo with your stats? WTF. Are you aware that you are doing the same amount of damage as someone who has only 28 str and 13 dex?
When you invest in stats for scaling, using non scaling weapons is such a waste...

Haha. It's from my first play-through. Apologies; I'm getting confused. It was good back in the day... And seriously, I've only just become cognisant of scaling. I was merely pumping souls into things on their face value ("STR, hey? I totally want to be strong!"). I'm still quite the noob when it comes to the systems in this game and I'm a bit of a creature of habit, so I'm only just starting to experiment.

SamVimes

I just upgraded my great scythe to +15 and i'm looking for some good buffs: considering i'm planning to cap at 100 at least for quite some time i have 10 level up points to play with, should i invest in Faith or Int? edit: i'm at 9 int and 9 faith.

Seance

Banned
I just upgraded my great scythe to +15 and i'm looking for some good buffs: considering i'm planning to cap at 100 at least for quite some time i have 10 level up points to play with, should i invest in Faith or Int? edit: i'm at 9 int and 9 faith.

uhh don't bother, put points into vit/end

int, GMW requires 15 int

Opinions on a +15 Uchigatana for a STR/DEX build at 46/45?

Go with a quality weapon I suppose! Longsword is quite good as it scales with both those stats and has an awesome moveset. Lucern is another viable option!

What you guys think? is 50 strength good enough for a strength build? I'm pretty oblivious about where they stop scaling.

main weapon: Demon's greataxe +15 (it looks very intimidating,slow,but I like the whole give and take,make pvp very interesting,specially against mages since I lack any good defence against them)

also is faith worth investing? I would like to use God's wrath,never got around using it with my first character.

Edit: or am I better off using force? it seems faith helps increase my magic defense...

50str is overkill unless you want to use some a specific weapon (Dragon Greatsword) or 58 for Smough's hammer.

I found faith very rewarding if you get Great Lightning spear (Sunbro Covenant +1) but for PVP i'm not really sure!

Most skills stop scaling significantly at 40. I would recommend 45 at the most. You will get very little bonuses after that even if your weapon scales well. Those points would be better put to use in something like vitality, endurance or faith (in your case).

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

What Seance said. If you really really want a magical buff, go with Great Magic Weapon at 15 int (cast with Oolacile catalyst). But, depending on your other stats, it's probably not worth it and it might be more worthwhile to boost VIT or END instead.

Kalameet has KalaMET his demise!
That was quite the easy fight, actually; 3 attempts in the end. Artorias' Greatshield helped a buttload. I didn't bother with the
Obsidian Greatsword
, as it's quite the hideous thing.

Only
Manus
remains now.

I've pumped another 40 hours into this game for a "paltry" total of 103 and I can confidently say that it is the best game I've ever played; I don't know if it's my favourite (it very well could be), but it definitely is the best.

That was quite the easy fight, actually; 3 attempts in the end.

Holy crap, only 3 attempts? Took me like 20 tries, during my first go. Out of curiosity, who was the hardest boss for you?

Edit: I should mention, I tried him the first time on NG+ which pretty much doubles his hp and damage output lol.

Holy crap, only 3 attempts? Took me like 20 tries, during my first go. Out of curiosity, who was the hardest boss for you?

Edit: I should mention, I tried him the first time on NG+ which pretty much doubles his hp and damage output lol.

First time in NG+ for me, too!
I guess I have a knack for killing dragons
. Dodged the flames, sustained the physical hits with the Greatshield of Artorias and peppered +15 Claymore heavy attacks throughout. I honestly think the Greatshield single-handedly turned the battle into 'easy mode'. You can just sit there and cop it. I also had the Ring of F&P and the Mask of the Child equipped to get that stamina movin'.

I also just killed
Manus
on probably my 5th attempt. It really should have been my first attempt; he had one sliver of health left and I got greedy and reckless, as is usually the case with follies in this game. I'd class him as "relatively easy" as long as you nail the timing with the Silver Pendant.

And good question!

> My debut play-through - in which I never summoned - probably saw O&S as the most difficult fight. Up to 20 attempts, I'd say. (in NG+, I employed Solaire in order to kill Smough first and it turned out to be exponentially easier; on occasion, Solaire would actually take out Ornstein before I could down Smough, so I had to suicide!)

> This time around in NG+, however, the Lautrec phantom fight actually required the most attempts (up to 20 again) and not because of his buddies, but because of his speed and heavy attacks that are virtually impossible to block (I imagine if I had the Greatshield of Artorias, it would have been a lot easier).

I've still got a bit to go (Izalith, Catacombs, etc), so maybe someone/something will surprise me.

Booshka

First time in NG+ for me, too!
I guess I have a knack for killing dragons
. Dodged the flames, sustained the physical hits with the Greatshield of Artorias and peppered +15 Claymore heavy attacks throughout. I honestly think the Greatshield single-handedly turned the battle into 'easy mode'. You can just sit there and cop it. I also had the Ring of F&P and the Mask of the Child equipped to get that stamina movin'.

I also just killed
Manus
on probably my 5th attempt. It really should have been my first attempt; he had one sliver of health left and I got greedy and reckless, as is usually the case with follies in this game. I'd class him as "relatively easy" as long as you nail the timing with the Silver Pendant.

And good question!

> My debut play-through - in which I never summoned - probably saw O&S as the most difficult fight. Up to 20 attempts, I'd say. (in NG+, I employed Solaire in order to kill Smough first and it turned out to be exponentially easier; on occasion, Solaire would actually take out Ornstein before I could down Smough, so I had to suicide!)

> This time around in NG+, however, the Lautrec phantom fight actually required the most attempts (up to 20 again) and not because of his buddies, but because of his speed and heavy attacks that are virtually impossible to block (I imagine if I had the Greatshield of Artorias, it would have been a lot easier).

I've still got a bit to go (Izalith, Catacombs, etc), so maybe someone/something will surprise me.
Lautrec uses the Shotel, its strong attack bypasses shields, so you have to dodge it or interrupt his attack. So no, the Greatshield wouldn't help at all lol. Shotel is one of my favorite weapons for dealing with turtlers in PvP, as most of them have no idea why they are taking damage through their shield.

Lautrec uses the Shotel, its strong attack bypasses shields, so you have to dodge it or interrupt his attack. So no, the Greatshield wouldn't help at all lol. Shotel is one of my favorite weapons for dealing with turtlers in PvP, as most of them have no idea why they are taking damage through their shield.

Ha. Fair enough. I thought that - given the attention to detail and systems in this game - the hit detection was just that accurate and the Shotel was circumventing my humbly sized Crest Shield. Damn Lautrec. Where does he get off having a weapon that nullifies shields!?

Carm

That was quite the easy fight, actually; 3 attempts in the end. Artorias' Greatshield helped a buttload. I didn't bother with the
Obsidian Greatsword
, as it's quite the hideous thing.

Only
Manus
remains now.

I've pumped another 40 hours into this game for a "paltry" total of 103 and I can confidently say that it is the best game I've ever played; I don't know if it's my favourite (it very well could be), but it definitely is the best.

That first boss gave me tons of trouble yesterday, took about an hour to finally get him. He seems far and away more difficult than the other 3. I'm starting to see a theme about me with certain bosses. I'm having to switch out of my med/heavy armor to light and switch out my +15 halberd to something like a +5 blackknight sword to have success. It's quite annoying. Second boss listed, oddly was easy, only boss in the dlc that was a one shot.

Aguirre

does anyone else feel bad about killing those little baby skeletons before gravelord nito for humanities?

poor little guys... they're down there because they didnt have a great existence... and im further perpetuating that by killing them over and over :<

Booshka

does anyone else feel bad about killing those little baby skeletons before gravelord nito for humanities?

poor little guys... they're down there because they didnt have a great existence... and im further perpetuating that by killing them over and over :<

at first maybe, but then I got stunlocked and surrounded by them and murdered with toxic and couldn't move. It was an agonizing death, so fuck them.

Seance

Banned
It's still very active, jump in!

In other news: my whip run is getting boring - the things are complete shit for damage and it's too slow to be fun to use for any length of time. Wish they have something more unique to them, they seem to stagger enemy shields in PvE, but only in the same way a kick would, but with a little damage. Unique weapons should have unique properties, if they have low damage it should be offset by some other advantage. Disappointing.

They can't be parried, but yeah whips are just shit.

Aguirre

at first maybe, but then I got stunlocked and surrounded by them and murdered with toxic and couldn't move. It was an agonizing death, so fuck them.

lol, well i've avoided that at least.

also i think this area is has the least online activity. i was there for about two hours and saw not one sign of players being there.

That first boss gave me tons of trouble yesterday, took about an hour to finally get him. He seems far and away more difficult than the other 3. I'm starting to see a theme about me with certain bosses. I'm having to switch out of my med/heavy armor to light and switch out my +15 halberd to something like a +5 blackknight sword to have success. It's quite annoying. Second boss listed, oddly was easy, only boss in the dlc that was a one shot.

I thought
Artorias
was a tad tricky until you were familiar with his move set. His airborne plunge attack seemed incredibly cheap until I realised that all you needed to do was roll perpendicularly right at the last moment. Once you got that down, he was an absolute joy to fight. His presence and animation are especially awesome; and dodging his attacks feels and looks extremely satisfying. As soon as I saw concept art for him, I was besotted. Utterly intriguing, enchanting and just insane from a design standpoint.

I had it in my mind - and fairly logically, I think -
that he was going to be the DLC's endgame and to be honest, I was pretty disappointed that he wasn't
. I'm sure it all makes narrative sense, but I feel it kinda downplayed the epicness of the encounter.

A quick question! My STR/DEX have completely stopped yielding benefits from levelling; like, not even one measly point. Are they cooked for good now?

Thanks, guys.

Polo67

When someone invades your game is it someone around the save level as you? Some guy spawned and killed me and he had a 11 on his head and I'm level 3 .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom