• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arjen

When someone invades your game is it someone around the save level as you? Some guy spawned and killed me and he had a 11 on his head and I'm level 3 .

I believe 10 levels +10% up or down.
So a level 50 can be summoned or invade in the range of 30-65

SamVimes

I can't seem to ever find an opponent in the Battle of Stoicism on pc.

What Seance said. If you really really want a magical buff, go with Great Magic Weapon at 15 int (cast with Oolacile catalyst). But, depending on your other stats, it's probably not worth it and it might be more worthwhile to boost VIT or END instead.
Oh so if i just meet the minimal requirements it's not even worth it to cast the spell? I'm already at 40 end, dex and 34 vit.

Mogwai

I've been sporting a lightning Murakumo +3 and consider switching it to basic and get it to 15. Am I better off with Lightning +5? My current stats are only 28 STR and 14 DEX.

Seance

Banned
I'm getting a lot faster invasions in Dukes and New Londo at level 60 than level 30. I'm guessing there is some kind of level prioritization that was stifling my invasions before.

I've been sporting a lightning Murakumo +3 and consider switching it to basic and get it to 15. Am I better off with Lightning +5? My current stats are only 28 STR and 14 DEX.

In your case elemental as you have low dex. IMO elemental is underappreciated, lightning and chaos do similar critical damage (sometimes more) than +15, despite the scaling benefits.

Mogwai

I'm getting a lot faster invasions in Dukes and New Londo at level 60 than level 30. I'm guessing there is some kind of level prioritization that was stifling my invasions before.

In your case elemental as you have low dex. IMO elemental is underappreciated, lightning and chaos do similar critical damage (sometimes more) than +15, despite the scaling benefits.
Alrighty. I'll do the +5 and reconsider if I take this character to NG+.

Seance

Banned
Alrighty. I'll do the +5 and reconsider if I take this character to NG+.

The best is to have high strength and/or dex with a +15 and high fai/int with a magic buff. Obviously this method requires a lot of level investment to deal out the most damge, but is worthwhile if you already have high vit/end and you're going through NG+ and beyond.

M.D

Hey.

I was about to buy the Dark Souls DLC when they announced Demon's Souls would come to PS+, so now that I've finished it I'm ready to buy it again.

I just want to know if there are any upcoming promotions or sales that I should wait for or should I just buy the DLC now? I'm a little bummed that I have to buy a £25 card, but I have to play this..

Edit: Looks like there is a £10 code! good stuff, will buy it soon ;p

Miletius

Just wanted to pop in and say thanks for the advice a while back (2 pages ago, I think). I've been chugging along, had a lot of adventures since being stuck on that rooftop.

Since it's my first time through I'm trying to minimize spoilers so I'm not looking into anything unless I'm completely stuck so the spoiler free advice was much appreciated.

sixghost

I've been meaning to ask this question for a while. Is there an inherent damage bonus to 2handing a weapon, or does the additional damage just come from the additional scaling from the 1.5x strength boost?

Booshka

I've been meaning to ask this question for a while. Is there an inherent damage bonus to 2handing a weapon, or does the additional damage just come from the additional scaling from the 1.5x strength boost?

It's both, for weapons with strength scaling they will get a bonus based on the grade of the strength scaling, and for weapons without strength scaling there will just be a flat bonus.

I wondered this myself, then I started doing 2h ripostes with str weapons and saw the extra damage, whereas if I 2h riposte with say a katana, the damage was the same.

Question regarding the
Siegmeyer of Catarina quest
: I'm about to enter Lost Izalith and have heard that this part is the most troublesome. Apparently, you have to take out all but one of the Chaos Eaters and let
Siegmeyer
jump down and take out the last to ensure that he stays above 50% health... Is that correct? Anything else I should be wary of?

Cheers!

Booshka

Question regarding the
Siegmeyer of Catarina quest
: I'm about to enter Lost Izalith and have heard that this part is the most troublesome. Apparently, you have to take out all but one of the Chaos Eaters and let
Siegmeyer
jump down and take out the last to ensure that he stays above 50% health... Is that correct? Anything else I should be wary of?

Cheers!

I like to snipe all but one of them with a bow or crossbow from up above before I talk to him. Weaken the last one a little bit, then jump down with him, I don't think you have to let him kill it, but I always do.

It's a little tricky, and I still mess it up from time to time, but killing and weakening them beforehand seems to work the best. Just do it from up above because if you try to kill them while in the pit, they can wander around and fall through the holes and die. If they are all dead before Siegmeyer jumps down, the quest breaks.

I like to snipe all but one of them with a bow or crossbow from up above before I talk to him. Weaken the last one a little bit, then jump down with him, I don't think you have to let him kill it, but I always do.

It's a little tricky, and I still mess it up from time to time, but killing and weakening them beforehand seems to work the best. Just do it from up above because if you try to kill them while in the pit, they can wander around and fall through the holes and die. If they are all dead before Siegmeyer jumps down, the quest breaks.

Thanks, Booshka. All sorted!
Totally killed her afterwards; there's something super serial suss about just standing next to the dead body of your father with zero indication of what's happened. Poor Siegmeyer.

Hypron

Thanks, Booshka. All sorted!
Totally killed her afterwards; there's something super serial suss about just standing next to the dead body of your father with zero indication of what's happened. Poor Siegmeyer.

Doesn't she say that she killed him because he went hollow? You monster!

Doesn't she say that she killed him because he went hollow? You monster!

That's what she said, man.
Maybe her mother put a hit out on ol' Siegy with those dying words of hers 'cause he was getting his onion peeled by someone else in Lordran? I think I'm onto something.

My STR build is now kicking ass. Took out S+O in Anor Lando and have since been to the Catacombs and defeated Pin Wheel. I always feel bad during that boss because despite being a cool fight, he's so damn weak compared to other bosses in the game, and the music is brilliant too. Oh well:(

I have just recently switched to the Black Iron Greatshield after using a Silver Knight Shield for a while. It's excellent, but it's very very tricky to parry with so I'll keep a lighter shield on me for such encounters.

I am SL61 at the moment which I don't want to increase too much more, but some more END would be nice to increase the weapon load.

My armour is:

Black Iron Helm +5
Black Iron Armour +5
Crimson Gloves
Black Iron Leggins +5

I just obtained Havel's ring so I am able to finally wear some decent gear to match the Zweihander +10. I've got my Demon Machete up to +10 too, but I can't use it yet. Also wearing the Cloranthy Ring as it helps shave off vital seconds for getting back stamina.

I am off to New Londo Ruins next to seek out Very Large Ember (I think it's there?) and get on with taking out the Four kings, might be tricky with a slow weapon but hey ho!

I think I'll do the DLC with this character, I've still not played it at all. My original DS character is on NG++ so I think it will be pretty tough! My others are at the point that they could do it though, but I fancy a big sword bastard to play it :D

I resisted against creating a Lightning Zweihander; I'll probably retire it once I can use the Demon Machete.

Sooo goood, my backlog can go fuck itself.

Edit: I also came across a weapon I have never seen before. It was a Demon Spear. No idea if its any good or not, might be cool for my Sorcerer to find, although I have a Moonlight Butterfly Horn will be much more powerful I would think.

Has the bonfire closest to Nito always been warp-enabled both to and from, or was that patched in? Man, I sure have a knack for making things way tougher than they need to be in this game. I didn't even bother to check whether it was warp-enabled and hence, only had 10 estus flasks for Nito; and sure, that ended up being ample throughout the few aggravating battles I had with the boney douche, but 20 flasks puts your mind at ease a lot more. I'm a stupidhead, basically.

Side note: NG+ has elucidated that the Catacombs and Tomb of the Giants are hands-down my most despised - and probably most difficult - areas in the entire game. They were definitely more irksome/annoying than any other area; well, either that, or both myself and my tactics were absolute poo tonight. And speaking of that knack of mine, did I think to enquire into the shortcut through the 'Combs? Fuck no. Stupidhead!

Anyway, moronic and avoidable follies aside, Nito hath fallen, his soul hath been offered and the Kiln is now open! Time to evaluate what's to still be done.

This damn game.

Aguirre

My STR build is now kicking ass. Took out S+O in Anor Lando and have since been to the Catacombs and defeated Pin Wheel. I always feel bad during that boss because despite being a cool fight, he's so damn weak compared to other bosses in the game, and the music is brilliant too. Oh well:(

I have just recently switched to the Black Iron Greatshield after using a Silver Knight Shield for a while. It's excellent, but it's very very tricky to parry with so I'll keep a lighter shield on me for such encounters.

I am SL61 at the moment which I don't want to increase too much more, but some more END would be nice to increase the weapon load.

My armour is:

Black Iron Helm +5
Black Iron Armour +5
Crimson Gloves
Black Iron Leggins +5

I just obtained Havel's ring so I am able to finally wear some decent gear to match the Zweihander +10. I've got my Demon Machete up to +10 too, but I can't use it yet. Also wearing the Cloranthy Ring as it helps shave off vital seconds for getting back stamina.

I am off to New Londo Ruins next to seek out Very Large Ember (I think it's there?) and get on with taking out the Four kings, might be tricky with a slow weapon but hey ho!

I think I'll do the DLC with this character, I've still not played it at all. My original DS character is on NG++ so I think it will be pretty tough! My others are at the point that they could do it though, but I fancy a big sword bastard to play it :D

I resisted against creating a Lightning Zweihander; I'll probably retire it once I can use the Demon Machete.

Sooo goood, my backlog can go fuck itself.

Edit: I also came across a weapon I have never seen before. It was a Demon Spear. No idea if its any good or not, might be cool for my Sorcerer to find, although I have a Moonlight Butterfly Horn will be much more powerful I would think.

nice! glad to see youre doing well and f*ck your backlog too, lol. more dark souls i say! ^_^

tonight im starting a generic SL125 str/faith build

Do you mean black phantom versions of enemies? They only happen if you've been infected by someone in the Gravelord covenant - and specifically on NG+ afaik.

Yeah think so. I guess that's never happened to me!

Speaking of things I've not done in DS, I've never had a Miracle build. Sorcery sure, which was RAD, but not miracles

Ferr986

Didnt get any Black Phantoms invasions too, although I had that message about the gravelord being defeated or something like that.

Chester's trousers are that cool.

EDIT: Massive shout-out to the Washing Pole. At +15, it has been an awesome companion. Come for that range; stay for DAT RANGE.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
What's the easiest way to gain humanity early in the game? I'm still chillin in undead burg

Well, if you're in an area that you haven't beaten the boss yet, you'll occasionally gain random humanity just killing enemies. This is only up to a few iirc.

Any rats will drop it pretty regularly. The very first one you see in the game, in the tunnel on the way to the burg, will sometimes drop it. Until you get down into the depths, the only other rats are the three in the room on the far side of the bridge (under the big dragon)... if you've kicked the red ladder down, then they are easy to access from the burg bonfire.

Alright after having a rough time with another RPG, I dusted off my PS3 and went back to this game. Finished Sen's Fortress in one sitting and reached my new favorite area of the game: Anor Londo. It's great looking, has some cool enemies and great environments. I finally upgraded my zwei to +10, which I use alongside my lightning spear.

A bit after reaching the second bonfire at Anor Londo, I got invaded and killed my invader for the first time ever. A milestone. After reaching the chapel/cathedral, I went
inside the painting omg, I think I'm trapped in here now.
. All in all a fantastic time for a sunday afternoon. Will get back during the weekend.

Alright after having a rough time with another RPG, I dusted off my PS3 and went back to this game. Finished Sen's Fortress in one sitting and reached my new favorite area of the game: Anor Londo. It's great looking, has some cool enemies and great environments. I finally upgraded my zwei to +10, which I use alongside my lightning spear.

A bit after reaching the second bonfire at Anor Londo, I got invaded and killed my invader for the first time ever. A milestone. After reaching the chapel/cathedral, I went
inside the painting omg, I think I'm trapped in here now.
. All in all a fantastic time for a sunday afternoon. Will get back during the weekend.

Solid! There's nothing like the feeling of making genuine progress in Dark Souls.

And the best part of Anor Londo is still yet to come. Brace yo'self.

Shinjica

One question, I've upgraded my flask with the soul of the firekeeper taken back from Lautrec. Now i cannot give it back to the firekeeper at the firelink shrine.

If i kill, for example the firekeeper in Anor Londo, i can use that soul to resurrect the other one?

i know they are two different soul but the description of the soul are the same, maybe it works

Edit: I watched the wiki and the description of the souls are different, so i'm fucked.

One question, I've upgraded my flask with the soul of the firekeeper taken back from Lautrec. Now i cannot give it back to the firekeeper at the firelink shrine.

If i kill, for example the firekeeper in Anor Londo, i can use that soul to resurrect the other one?

i know they are two different soul but the description of the soul are the same, maybe it works

Edit: I watched the wiki and the description of the souls are different, so i'm fucked.

Don't worry, you get a chance to get it back (in Anor Lando actually). I am guessing you've picked an item up in Firelink that was next to the Firekeeper?

eh, you don't really need that bonfire anyways. you can still warp to it. warping from it, you have the kiln now, or homeward bones should easily be affordable.

how are you supposed to get through the beginning of Sen's without any ranged? where the blades start
be fearless and run through them?

how are you supposed to get through the beginning of Sen's without any ranged? where the blades start
What are you having problems with, the dude shooting lightning? You can just run past him and backstab or step on the plate and let the darts do the job for you.

Use a wooden shield if you're worried about taking damage from his lightning shots.

So I made a video about five mysteries of Dark Souls... (Spoilers naturally.)

Hopefully I got most of my facts right, but I may have missed some stuff here and there. I'm a tad self conscious about hearing my voice like that, but hopefully I did a decent job with it.
Nice job. :)

I don't follow the lore really closely, so I liked the idea of Manus as the Pygmy and all the Velka stuff.

kvn

Could it be that the flickering bug on PS3 is back?

A friend of mine tried to play today (PTD edition) and got flickering messages, bonfires and such.

M.D

I wonder if I should start a new character now that I'm going to play the DLC? I played the game today for the first time in more than a year, and I actually forget what characters I had.

I have a SL136 character with high STR and Faith, and a second SL102 character with high DEX and Magic

I invaded a ton of people with the SL102 character as a Darkwraith, but couldn't find anyone to invade with the SL136 character
Not sure what character I should make tho? I think I wanted the second character to be mainly magic but I decided it's too boring on its own so I invested in DEX as well

Khronico

Is there a safe way of reaching the sunlight altar without killing the dragon? My character is too weak atm to fight him. I've tried luring him out by standing on the left side of the bridge parallel to the stairs, but every time I run for the altar, he gets aggroed and kills me with the fire breath.

Is there a safe way of reaching the sunlight altar without killing the dragon? My character is too weak atm to fight him. I've tried luring him out by standing on the left side of the bridge parallel to the stairs, but every time I run for the altar, he gets aggroed and kills me with the fire breath.

Just gotta keep trying to run past him, there is no other way to that area.

Run through his legs and just keep going with your shield up - something with high fire resistance (heater, grass crest, dragon crest, black knight) and then run to the altar. You can use those two little side areas just outside where the bonfire is to heal, they block the fire like the similar areas where the stairs are in the middle of the bridge.

I never find it's fool proof, sometimes I make it, sometimes I'm BBQ. That's why I don't trigger the dragon until I've opened the portcullis - if you don't trigger the dragon before the first bonfire in Undead Burg, it won't appear on the bridge until you do.

he shouldn't be fast enough to hit you. are you <25% burden? you're running for the altar as soon as he starts to fly right? when you lure him out, that's not an attack, so you shouldn't be waiting for him to land to prepare for a real attack. i've never been caught once, so as far as i'm concerned, this tactic is at least 99% guaranteed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom