• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Booshka

What's the best SL for a darkwraith?

My 125 Darkmoon build barely gets any action so I decided to make a darkwraith. I'm at SL 48 right now.

SL 100-125 is good for Darkwraiths as well. If you want lower level invasions of people actually doing areas in New Game, go for 50-65. SL 50-65 still lets you have a relatively decent build, but still regularly invade areas like Anor Londo, and all the Lord Soul areas and DLC. If you are playing on PC, SL 50 and 100 is the standard for that platform. Most players on PS3 and Xbox still roll with 120-125 builds so you'll get plenty of duels in township, burg, moonlight butterfly forest etc. Forest is always active and filled with ~120 builds and then stupid high level players too.

Kweh

Hmm I am having some strange graphical glitches the last couple of days. Basically my bonfires will flicker on and off, I can't see items on the ground or on corpses, mist doors are gone and when I drink an Estus the flask has disappeared.

Most odd.

Hmm I am having some strange graphical glitches the last couple of days. Basically my bonfires will flicker on and off, I can't see items on the ground or on corpses, mist doors are gone and when I drink an Estus the flask has disappeared.

Most odd.
On PS3 yes? Everyone is experiencing the same problem, so your machine isn't about to die don't worry ;) It happened before a while back and they fixed it, so hopefully they do the same this time. It's only online so if it's too annoying, play offline.

On that subject I've still been playing this week and noticed invaders taking full advantage of the lack of ability to see magic coming at you, almost every invader is using magic - funny that isn't it?!

SL 100-125 is good for Darkwraiths as well. If you want lower level invasions of people actually doing areas in New Game, go for 50-65. SL 50-65 still lets you have a relatively decent build, but still regularly invade areas like Anor Londo, and all the Lord Soul areas and DLC. If you are playing on PC, SL 50 and 100 is the standard for that platform. Most players on PS3 and Xbox still roll with 120-125 builds so you'll get plenty of duels in township, burg, moonlight butterfly forest etc. Forest is always active and filled with ~120 builds and then stupid high level players too.

I would invade in AL at my current level but I'm afraid I'll just get stomped on. I'm still running with base vitality and endurance. Darkwraiths can invade anyone above their level, right?

Booshka

I would invade in AL at my current level but I'm afraid I'll just get stomped on. I'm still running with base vitality and endurance. Darkwraiths can invade anyone above their level, right?

yes, co op range, and then infinite up. You will get stomped by higher level characters in Anor Londo, but the other players that are near your level probably won't. You can win based on upgraded gear or min max weps/spells alone at lower levels.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
People with flickering... beware of drops/items. That stuff basically disappears, so it's real easy to miss really important stuff.

I think I finally need a break from this game. At 223 hours, it's my most played non-multiplayer game on Steam (okay, I know there's multiplayer, but you know what I mean).

teekun

I'd honestly suggest people put the game on hold until a patch is released. Shit's unplayable. :(

Yeah, I decided last night that I have to just put the entire game aside until this is fixed. This is my first time playing it and I just reached the Moonlight Butterfly last night. None of its attacks are rendering on screen, making the fight more or less impossible.

I think I finally need a break from this game. At 223 hours, it's my most played non-multiplayer game on Steam (okay, I know there's multiplayer, but you know what I mean).

Ha. I slayed Gwyn the other night in NG+ and the disc has since then left my system. 127 hours all up. Every area visited. I'm sure it'll be back in before too long. I really want to give Artorias' Greatsword a whirl, but that'll undoubtedly involve starting a new character; maybe it's about time I did that.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I've got my zwei build in anor londo ng+ and decided to do something different.

Enter my new sorcery build!

Hidden Body is such an amazing spell!

So far most fights are way easier... Looks like bosses can't really handle ranged characters.

Encountered a cheater for the first time (I think) on PS3

I thought he might be cheating since he was wielding a crystal straight sword but I didn't expect to get caught in a infinite stamina dragon head stone blast. He almost had me but I signed out of psn at the last second

Shinjica

Encountered a cheater for the first time (I think) on PS3

I thought he might be cheating since he was wielding a crystal straight sword but I didn't expect to get caught in a infinite stamina dragon head stone blast. He almost had me but I signed out of psn at the last second

If i remember correctly, crest shield + stamina regen ring give you infinite use of the dragon head

Mogwai

I've been playing the Artorias of the Abyss DLC and I would say it's a decent addition. Have reached Township now and it looks pretty interesting. Can anyone give me a vague hint whether the
remaining two bosses will be arena fights like the Guardian and Knight Artorias? They were good fights but, I think they were too similar.

Booshka

I've been playing the Artorias of the Abyss DLC and I would say it's a decent addition. Have reached Township now and it looks pretty interesting. Can anyone give me a vague hint whether the
remaining two bosses will be arena fights like the Guardian and Knight Artorias? They were good fights but, I think they were too similar.

They are fights against much bigger bosses, less intimate, but still in arenas, the next two seem like they were designed with co op in mind, but are really fun solo as well. Sanc Guardian and Artorias are similar, and the next two are similar to each other as well, but for different reasons. You should enjoy them a ton if you like frantic huge bosses.

Mogwai

They are fights against much bigger bosses, less intimate, but still in arenas, the next two seem like they were designed with co op in mind, but are really fun solo as well. Sanc Guardian and Artorias are similar, and the next two are similar to each other as well, but for different reasons. You should enjoy them a ton if you like frantic huge bosses.

Great! That's what I hoped to hear. Looking forward to having some attempts at them this afternoon. After that I just need to collect the missing materials and Gwyn shall be put to rest.

Sullichin

Nope, and I just tested to make sure

Don't think it was the glitch. It's worse

The original implementation of the glitch was fixed, but there's still a way to do it. I'm not filthy cheating scum so I don't know how, but I remember reading that it was the same method as before but you just have to lock onto something first. People have definitely used it on me since they "fixed" it.

Evolved1

Gwyndolin is a pain in the ass regardless but this is now the toughest fight ever since I can't see his giant magic blast.

I've been playing offline... but the game really isn't as interesting when you remove the messages and other online stuff. :(

AlexBasch

Well shit, I'm slogging through Dark Souls after Demon's and here I was thinking something was wrong with my console, good thing I was wrong.

I kinda wanted to give Dark Souls another go, but playing offline doesn't sit right with me, if this means I have to drop it, it's okay on my book, I'm not feeling the game at all. :| Guess I'll go back and work on my 2nd, almost 3rd playthrough of Demon's.

Booshka

Xbox Master Race.

Oh the irony, in all seriousness though, really hope From gets a Patch out soon, game sounds unplayable on PS3 in its current state

Evolved1

Xbox Master Race.

Oh the irony, in all seriousness though, really hope From gets a Patch out soon, game sounds unplayable on PS3 in its current state

It honestly is... I mean, a little flickering isn't the end of the world. But this is something else. I wish I had a way to capture it.

I feel bad for all the people, first time players, missing really important drops or struggling in pvp or against invisible boss attacks.

AlexBasch

Xbox Master Race.

I'm at Blighttown right now and there are dogs that release flames and whatnot. I can't see my Soul Arrow nor the flames of the enemies, so I'm just running away from them and falling dead.

The dart guys are invisible too.

Booshka

I'm at Blighttown right now and there are dogs that release flames and whatnot. I can't see my Soul Arrow nor the flames of the enemies, so I'm just running away from them and falling dead.

Don't bother, just take a break and check back on the thread to see when it is fixed. It's not worth dealing with these problems and them souring your impression of Dark Souls.

It honestly is... I mean, a little flickering isn't the end of the world. But this is something else. I wish I had a way to capture it.

I feel bad for all the people, first time players, missing really important drops or struggling in pvp or against invisible boss attacks.

Haha. Man, to think of all the uninformed new players experiencing these glitches and taking them as nothing more than, 'LORDY, DARK SOULS REALLY DOESN'T MESS ABOUT, YO' and either loving or hating it for it (probably the latter). Kind of ironic given all the conjecture about its difficulty.

Seanspeed

Banned

Yea, that insufferable.

Crazy how a game could suddenly develop major issues like that so late after release.

Just did a run through NG+, I felt as if the dragon was a little harder than manus this time. Probably because I upgraded my armor and upgraded my eagle shield from +10 to +15.

Dragon is actually pretty easy as faith with lightning bolts. Popping power within makes it go so much faster.

Don't waste your time on Boss Soul weapons, most of them are pretty bad. If you are focusing mostly on Strength, upgrade a Large Club, Great Club, Man Serpent Greatsword, Greataxe, Demon Great weapons (Machete, Axe, Hammer) and any other weapons with B or A strength scaling to +10. There is an ember in New Londo Ruins that will allow you to modify weapons to +11, and up to +15 with Chunks and a Slab. That is the upgrade path you want to focus on, especially if you are leveling Strength or Dexterity.

Try to get your STR, VIT and END all to 40. VIT scales well up to 50, but STR and END fall off hard after 40, so only level STR if you want to 1h some of the high requirement weapons, I suggest stopping at 46-50 max.
Nice thanks. I won't bother with them; I kind of suspected something like that before since Queelag's was quite unimpressive in action.

I wrapped things up at Anor Londo and tied some loose ends on Darkroot Garden and Basin from earlier in my playthrough. Time for New Londo Ruins. Found the very large ember and with that I leveled up my zweihander to +14 only to find out I needed a titanite slab for reaching +15, which I had already used with some shitty lightning spear +5. Crap.

Off to the internets I went and found out I can try to farm
darkwraiths in new londo
for slabs, which drop very rarely. I was close to giving up on that after a couple sessions of farming, until I learned you need to max out your object finding stats, it cost me 10 humanities and the use of a covetous snake ring to reach that (410). In one session I got the slab as a drop. Just in time since apparently as in some sort of twisted revenge the game got me stuck in nonexistant geometry and threw me into the abyss without me even entering the boos fog gate. Even funnier, my souls didn't appear anywhere when I got back to the spot I died in. Whatever, my maxed out zwei+15 is worth all that.

Now with all of New Londo cleared it's time for 4 Kings, but I got my ass handed to me twice and now I'm wary of going back.

Booshka

Nice thanks. I won't bother with them; I kind of suspected something like that before since Queelag's was quite unimpressive in action.

I wrapped things up at Anor Londo and tied some loose ends on Darkroot Garden and Basin from earlier in my playthrough. Time for New Londo Ruins. Found the very large ember and with that I leveled up my zweihander to +14 only to find out I needed a titanite slab for reaching +15, which I had already used with some shitty lightning spear +5. Crap.

Off to the internets I went and found out I can try to farm
darkwraiths in new londo
for slabs, which drop very rarely. I was close to giving up on that after a couple sessions of farming, until I learned you need to max out your object finding stats, it cost me 10 humanities and the use of a covetous snake ring to reach that (410). In one session I got the slab as a drop. Just in time since apparently as in some sort of twisted revenge the game got me stuck in nonexistant geometry and threw me into the abyss without me even entering the boos fog gate. Even funnier, my souls didn't appear anywhere when I got back to the spot I died in. Whatever, my maxed out zwei+15 is worth all that.

Now with all of New Londo cleared it's time for 4 Kings, but I got my ass handed to me twice and now I'm wary of going back.

If you are going to commit to that Zwei and don't care about over leveling, I would invest in some Dexterity. The Zwei scales C with STR and D with DEX so you will get a decent amount of damage scaling if you level Dex. I would take your Dex to 20 so you can use all the Black Knight weapons, which are mostly STR but need 18 Dex to wield, and the 20 so you can use Greatbows and little better scaling.

So try, 40-46 STR, 20 DEX, 40 END, and 40-50 Vit. If you keep leveling past that, just put points into more Dex for even more scaling and more weapon variety as well.

Sullichin

I've never experienced this flickering glitch somehow.. I think I took a break from the game when it happened the first time, and now I only play it on PC, so I avoided it again. Did a new update re-introduce the problem? If so, I'm surprised that they are still pushing updates for this game.
I hope that Dark Souls II has much more attention put into balance over time and has a bunch of patches as the community figures out the metagame. A beta for PVP would be amazing.

Oh thank god, I thought my copy was broken or something, am glad it's a glitch that needs to be patched (well, "bittersweet" would be a better word.)

Having said that, fix this shit quick From, please!

Yeah it's pretty shitty. Some places like the cave after the archives are near impossible to navigate for me because of the flickering. I just went offline and will keep playing like that until this stuff is fixed.

I have made progress during this weekend. 4 Kings went down as well as the archives and the cave. Now I'm in the demon ruins.

Thanks for the info on the flickering, guys. I was beginning to think my game was busted. Looks like I'll go offline and do some exploring. I think I'm closing in on the end of the game, but I'm going to try and save that for when online gets working again.

Still have yet to explore The Great Hollow so I'll probably head there now.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Don't waste your time on Boss Soul weapons, most of them are pretty bad. If you are focusing mostly on Strength, upgrade a Large Club, Great Club, Man Serpent Greatsword, Greataxe, Demon Great weapons (Machete, Axe, Hammer) and any other weapons with B or A strength scaling to +10. There is an ember in New Londo Ruins that will allow you to modify weapons to +11, and up to +15 with Chunks and a Slab. That is the upgrade path you want to focus on, especially if you are leveling Strength or Dexterity.

Try to get your STR, VIT and END all to 40. VIT scales well up to 50, but STR and END fall off hard after 40, so only level STR if you want to 1h some of the high requirement weapons, I suggest stopping at 46-50 max.

Artorias' shield is pretty nice... The thing with stability is that it has weird scaling, even a few points have a huge effect. With that shield I just blocked Gwyn's full barrage without even flinching and it is the reason I killed him in my first attempt.

Not getting status effects from blocked blows is a major bonus as well.

Serra

I finally went ahead and finished getting Knight's Honour on one of my 360 characters, to get 1000/1000 achievement points.

So now im double plat, PC + 360

:)

Talents

Banned
So I'm thinking about getting this on PC, but on Steam it says an Xbox 360 controller is recommended. Is a controller really necessary? I have a controller but I'd have to go get one of those receivers which seems like so much effort.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Hey guys.

I made this the other day, thought it might be appreciated here. It's cool how well they match up, but are still different. Getting charred had a really cool effect on these guys.

Left side: Black Knight - Right side: Silver Knight
ifBIJcAxxq6Wz.jpg

AutumnAve

So I'm thinking about getting this on PC, but on Steam it says an Xbox 360 controller is recommended. Is a controller really necessary? I have a controller but I'd have to go get one of those receivers which seems like so much effort.

A game controller is highly recommended for Dark Souls. I use a dual shock 3 plugged in via USB with motion in joy drivers to emulate a 360 controller.

Booshka

You should be using a Wired 360 controller anyway, wireless is for Casuals, go buy one and plug it into your PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom