• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
This weekend brought significant progress. Wrapped things up at Lost Izalith and The Catacombs. Now starting to find my way through the tomb. Funny thing, I've never been to the Ash Lake, nor the Valley of Drakes, nor the Hollow.

I'll visit them after finishing the tomb of the giants I guess.

Seanspeed

Banned
tZyLnPT.gif

lol

About to embark on a fresh game, y'all. I've decided that I really want me a Greatsword of Artorias and/or Abyss Greatsword, but my current INT/FTH stats are absolutely shot at SL 150, so I'm going back to square one.

What say you guys re: the AGS and GSoA? If I were to only meet the absolute minimum INT/FTH requirements and put subsequent souls into STR/DEX, which would you recommend?

I'm down with the Humanity modifier of the AGS, but the B/B scaling of INT/FTH for the GSoA has me a tad confused. Does it mean that if I pump souls into either INT or FTH, the additional 140 points from the Divine Modifier (Uncursed) will scale with a B rating?

The C/C/B/B scaling parameters of the GSoA seem a lot more appealing on face value than the C/C/-/- paramaters of the AGS (considering you need to level up INT/FTH for both, anyway), so I'm assuming the "balancing" comes in the form of the AGS having a much higher base damage... Correct? What exactly is the penalty for not having the required INT/FTH for the AGS, seeing as INT/FTH yield no damage modifications?

Fuck... I'm in too deep. Haha.

Also, what class would you recommend beginning as to reach said requirements the quickest, but also not spread myself too thin? I was thinking the Thief.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, guys. There's just so much to take in!

Soulhouf

About to embark on a fresh game, y'all. I've decided that I really want me a Greatsword of Artorias and/or Abyss Greatsword, but my current INT/FTH stats are absolutely shot at SL 150, so I'm going back to square one.

What say you guys re: the AGS and GSoA? If I were to only meet the absolute minimum INT/FTH requirements and put subsequent souls into STR/DEX, which would you recommend?

I'm down with the Humanity modifier of the AGS, but the B/B scaling of INT/FTH for the GSoA has me a tad confused. Does it mean that if I pump souls into either INT or FTH, the additional 140 points from the Divine Modifier (Uncursed) will scale with a B rating?

The C/C/B/B scaling parameters of the GSoA seem a lot more appealing on face value than the C/C/-/- paramaters of the AGS (considering you need to level up INT/FTH for both, anyway), so I'm assuming the "balancing" comes in the form of the AGS having a much higher base damage... Correct? What exactly is the penalty for not having the required INT/FTH for the AGS, seeing as INT/FTH yield no damage modifications?

Fuck... I'm in too deep. Haha.

Also, what class would you recommend beginning as to reach said requirements the quickest, but also not spread myself too thin? I was thinking the Thief.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, guys. There's just so much to take in!

If you plan on having only the minimum requirements for int/fai, go for AGS and/or Cursed version of GSoA. AGS has better moveset and will hit harder with humanity but the cursed one is still very good if you don't have humanity.
If you don't put enough int/faith to meet the requirements, you will stagger during 1-2 seconds every time you hit your target BUT you don't suffer any penalty damage wise.

The normal GSoA has the highest AR in the game (which is split between physical and magic) if you put 40/40/50/50 in your str/dex/int/fai but you won't be able to do that before you reach SL200 unless you completely sacrifice your vit and end which is not recommended of course.

As for the class, it doesn't really matter but you'll have slightly more advantage if you start as Pyromancer.

I love you guys. Thank you.

Ha. Seance, I remember facing off against someone in PvP who tried to hit me with nothing but that R2 overhead spinning attack. After about a minute of mindless side-stepping on my part, he got bored and obliterated me in about 3 seconds with something else ridiculous (and a healthy dose of lag, if I do say so myself). So, yeah, I definitely heed your advice, but I can see it being less useless in PvE; and it looks insanely awesome.

Hmm. The general consensus seems to be that the GSoA is for uber high levels, as you alluded to, Soulhouf. I also don't plan on getting into PvP much either.

I think I might just live on the edge and go with the AGS. It's not like I can't make both, anyway. DIFFERENT SOULZ, YO.

EDIT: Also, after watching some YouTube vids - and having played through the game twice now - I think it's high time that I grow some balls and start parrying dudes.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
From the guy who brought you that one Dead Space 3 review, comes this IN-DEPTH, COMPREHENSIVE review of Dark Souls.

Sorry Bagels, those are tits.

I also like looking at a place I was once at and saying "I used to be there".

Just heard the whispers in Duke's for the first time. Creepy. What did 1.08 do? All I know is my flask was missing upon use and I read elsewhere that playing offline fixes this. Any tips?

Miletius

I beat the game this weekend and have to say, totally fantastic. Can't believe I waited this long to play it. The atmosphere was incredible all the way through, and I love games where you can explore and poke around and find all sort of little secrets.

My only real gripe is the PvP system totally blows for newbies. Not completely From's fault, but constantly being invaded in the newbie areas while you are trying to figure stuff out is pretty darn lame. Meanwhile your opponent is running around in baller armor and destroying you with a lightning weapon. It's probably because I'm playing the game much later than the community in general, but it reminds me a bit about the worst parts of WoW battlegrounds. Yeah, you can solve it by going Hollow, but then you can't really co-op either, which is one of my favorite parts of the game.

Other than that, the game was fantastic. My first guy was going to be a warrior/pyromancer hybrid type but that fell through and I just ended up being a guy that used heaviest armor I could find and slashing people from afar with the gargoyle halberd that dropped from the dudes in Ador Londo. Once it was upgraded to +15 pretty much served me the entire way through the game.

I promptly re-rolled once the credits hit and made a thief/mage character. She has a rapier that she uses to stab people and magic missles from the blacksmith in the prison cage. I'm dreading going through the early game though, I might play it offline or perhaps find some twinky type weapons and do what everybody else seems to be doing.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Someone explain that gif to me, what am I looking at?

I was playing Dark Souls from a top down perspective.

I just like doing ridiculous stuff with the game.

In the past I've done dumb stuff like this

ibkq9VihXVxRx6.gif

and cool stuff like this.

ibsZP9wx8dpN5f.gif

The first one was rendered at 120fps so that the GIF could be in slow motion but the animation would still look smooth.

The second was rendered at 150fps so that I could add slow motion when the dragon lands.

I also often render at ridiculous resolutions for super high quality screenshots.

SaberVulcan

So I am having serious trouble dealing with
Manus and Kalameet

I have tried them both solo and with a friend and we explode just the same, except that
Kalameet
seems impossible without someone else to distract him.

Anyone have tips for either of these two beasts? They are my final things to clear before I challange the last boss.

Arjen

So I am having serious trouble dealing with
Manus and Kalameet

I have tried them both solo and with a friend and we explode just the same, except that
Kalameet
seems impossible without someone else to distract him.

Anyone have tips for either of these two beasts? They are my final things to clear before I challange the last boss.

For
Kalameet
-When he breathes fire from above, run the fuck away.
-Roll back 2 times when he does the big forward fire blast, or roll to the side, opening yourself up for an attack.
- Run towards him quikly when he does the sweeping fire attack, change for a hit.
- Roll to the side when he does the calamity/ telekenetic grab
- Dodge or block his head swipe, if you roll, good opening for a hit.
- After he does his tantrum you have an opening for a hit
- Best bet to heal, is when you dodge his fire attacks or calamity grab, also a good point to try some ranged damage

I beat the game this weekend and have to say, totally fantastic. Can't believe I waited this long to play it. The atmosphere was incredible all the way through, and I love games where you can explore and poke around and find all sort of little secrets.

My only real gripe is the PvP system totally blows for newbies. Not completely From's fault, but constantly being invaded in the newbie areas while you are trying to figure stuff out is pretty darn lame. Meanwhile your opponent is running around in baller armor and destroying you with a lightning weapon. It's probably because I'm playing the game much later than the community in general, but it reminds me a bit about the worst parts of WoW battlegrounds. Yeah, you can solve it by going Hollow, but then you can't really co-op either, which is one of my favorite parts of the game.

Other than that, the game was fantastic. My first guy was going to be a warrior/pyromancer hybrid type but that fell through and I just ended up being a guy that used heaviest armor I could find and slashing people from afar with the gargoyle halberd that dropped from the dudes in Ador Londo. Once it was upgraded to +15 pretty much served me the entire way through the game.

I promptly re-rolled once the credits hit and made a thief/mage character. She has a rapier that she uses to stab people and magic missles from the blacksmith in the prison cage. I'm dreading going through the early game though, I might play it offline or perhaps find some twinky type weapons and do what everybody else seems to be doing.
i'd definitely recommend laying down your white summon sign as a way to get free humanity when hollow. i think the scarcity of humanity is one of the things that makes people anxious about invasions. if you start becoming familiar with how to obtain and manage humanity, invasions seem like less big of a deal.

rapier is a pretty popular and great pvp weapon. estoc is also great. similar builds can also use spears as well. the common practice is to either run to vamos for fire upgrades or large ember for +10. hope you chose the masterkey.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
i'd definitely recommend laying down your white summon sign as a way to get free humanity when hollow. i think the scarcity of humanity is one of the things that makes people anxious about invasions. if you start becoming familiar with how to obtain and manage humanity, invasions seem like less big of a deal.

rapier is a pretty popular and great pvp weapon. estoc is also great. similar builds can also use spears as well. the common practice is to either run to vamos for fire upgrades or large ember for +10. hope you chose the masterkey.

Heck, you can get the key to the seal before acquiring the lordvessel and have a +15 weapon before killing the gargoyles or queelag.

Miletius

Yeah, this run has been going a lot smoother. I planned it out so that I'd get a ton of spells early, so I'm basically a ranged deathball. With light armor and a magic rapier getting behind folks has been pretty easy so far too. I should probably switch to a lit weapon but I haven't gotten the mats yet.

Still dying to invasions, but it's ok. I don't mind it as much this round, I think, because I'm much better at the game and able to recover from a loss pretty easy. Last game it was frustrating because I didn't know where a lot of stuff was, so getting invaded was a big deal, say, for example, after exploring the entirety of the depths looking for a bonfire and spawning back at Firelink Shrine.

chunk3rvd

Have split over 500 hours across PS3 and PC version of this but madly enough, have never beaten Gwyn with the build I made in each version due to spending hundreds of hours doing PVP and co-op once I reached the end game. Just this last week was the first time I ever took a build to high level (am currently at 118). It's a lot of fun wrecking shit with the power I suddenly have and finally having high vitality makes life a lot easier too

My offensive stats are 27 STR, 40 DEX and 30 FAI. For PVP I've been using Power Within and Sunlight Blade and it just wrecks people. 300+ for a standard hit, 500+ for a counter hit and I often get 900+ with a running 2H R1. Have to play a pretty frantic style due to Power Within (although I use Lingering Dragoncrest to slow the health loss) but I've been winning 90% of my PVP battles

Here is my current build: https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=452715527387282977

Anyone have any advice about the build before I pump my last few levels? I was thinking of putting 2 more in ATT for 1 more slot and 5 more in END to take me to 125

I'm liking my washing pole as it scales with both STR and DEX, the range is great and the bleed build up causes people to panic and make mistakes which usually work in my favour

Any advice about my armour setup would be really appreciated. I'm wondering if I'd be better swapping Havel's ring for Wolf ring and finding a set with 13 poise that would keep me under 25% equip. Mid roll hasn't hindered me much so far but I do have the most trouble with DWGR users so that might be a better option for me?

Kwixotik

So on my new play through, pretty much all of the world effects flicker or are invisible. There's no fire on pyres or torches, notes on the ground flicker and disappear, and corpses with loot only sometimes have a white glow
Anyone know what's up?

njean777

So on my new play through, pretty much all of the world effects flicker or are invisible. There's no fire on pyres or torches, notes on the ground flicker and disappear, and corpses with loot only sometimes have a white glow
Anyone know what's up?

There is a problem with the ps3 version, they are supposedly fixing it tomorrow.

Seance

Banned
So I just rewatched the gameplay reveal and god it's like the games on crack. Move and attack speed is through the roof.
That can only be a good thing for pvp.

I really hope DkS2 does away with action queing and gives a cooldown to rolling. So many aspects like these funneled people into light dex builds. Hopefully fat rolling and heavy weapons are more viable next time round...

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
That can only be a good thing for pvp.

I really hope DkS2 does away with action queing and gives a cooldown to rolling. So many aspects like these funneled people into light dex builds. Hopefully fat rolling and heavy weapons are more viable next time round...

Fat rolling is hilarious tho.

roll motion -> CLUNK! -> finish roll motion

kvn

So the servers are under maintenance now? Hopefully, the flickering will be fixed. This is actually the first time I'm experiencing a server maintenance.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Today I started my shieldless run in order to learn how to play without that crutch (allright, I carry a grass crest on my back...).

Decided to have a little fun with a Hulk cosplay, made a very large character with bright green skin and decided on the large club for my weapon.

Anyways, this thing is a BEAST! It's got A scaling at +0 lol! At +5 with 26 strength it's doing 340 damage. Just beastly. I was a bit worried about capra, considering I was going in without a shield and just hollow thief tights for armor.... well, I rolled away from his first blow and killed him in a 3 hit combo (I had buffed with lightning resin).

3 blows and Capra was dead. I still can't believe it haha.

Booshka

Today I started my shieldless run in order to learn how to play without that crutch (allright, I carry a grass crest on my back...).

Decided to have a little fun with a Hulk cosplay, made a very large character with bright green skin and decided on the large club for my weapon.

Anyways, this thing is a BEAST! It's got A scaling at +0 lol! At +5 with 26 strength it's doing 340 damage. Just beastly. I was a bit worried about capra, considering I was going in without a shield and just hollow thief tights for armor.... well, I rolled away from his first blow and killed him in a 3 hit combo (I had buffed with lightning resin).

3 blows and Capra was dead. I still can't believe it haha.

Large Club is amazing, my favorite STR weapon. Take it to +15 and level your STR to 40 and it will have around 630 AR. The 1 handed R2's are really good.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Large Club is amazing, my favorite STR weapon. Take it to +15 and level your STR to 40 and it will have around 630 AR. The 1 handed R2's are really good.

Very, very nice.

Anyways, to keep up with the theme I'll be rolling with just a set of pants as long as I can, therefore I picked wolf's ring to have some poise.

What would be best for the second ring slot? Dark wood? Cloranthy?

I just don't wanna use the Ring of Favor again. Both playthrough's I've done, both with that ring.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
If you use no magic whatsoever, go with Cloranthy, Hornet, Red Tearstone, Evil Eye (for small HP regen), Steel Protection, or maybe the elemental stoneplate ones depending on the situation. That slot can also be used to wear the oranged charred, abyss, rusted iron rings, or rings of sacrifice in specific circumstances.

If you use a magic buff often, try the Lingering dragoncrest. If you use offensive spells like pyros, Bellowing Dragoncrest or Darkmoon Seance for an extra slot might be decent.

Booshka

Very, very nice.

Anyways, to keep up with the theme I'll be rolling with just a set of pants as long as I can, therefore I picked wolf's ring to have some poise.

I just don't wanna use the Ring of Favor again. Both playthrough's I've done, both with that ring.

Ya use the flip ring most of the time with wolf ring. Swap rings around for certain situations, rusted ring for swamps, orange charred, abyss ring, etc. Cloranthy is really good for boss fights, so use that with wolf, or flip if 40 poise isn't enough to not get staggered and club away.

Seance

Banned
Very, very nice.

Use Heavy boots (Pyro starter set). Most "Hulk-like" leggings IMO. :p

chunk3rvd

Just a heads up that both the Dark Souls DLC content (£5.79) and the digital version of Demon's Souls (£7.99) are on sale on the EU PSN store at the moment. I finally grabbed AotA since I've only played the DLC on PC. Also grabbed Demon's while it was cheap as it goes free on EU Playstation Plus soon and I figure that'll be the perfect time for a replay since the servers should be pretty busy

I didn't have a clue what I was doing when I first played Demon's and followed a guide to the tee as I was renting it and wanted to get he platinum in the shortest route possible. Also stayed offline the whole time as I didn't want to mess with my world tendency so the Belfry Gargoyles in Dark was my first ever online Souls experience. Really looking forward to going back to it with all my understanding of the systems from my ridiculous amount of time with Dark Souls. Will be fun taking on Tower Knight like a man instead of cheesing him from the turrets with magic :/

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Flip ring is mostly useless since the nerf patch. You need to be under 25% equip burden to use it, but when you're at that weight the normal roll is suitable enough for most circumstances.

Booshka

Flip ring is mostly useless since the nerf patch. You need to be under 25% equip burden to use it, but when you're at that weight the normal roll is suitable enough for most circumstances.

naw it's still OP, especially with heavier weapons. The invincibility frames and forward momentum of the roll make it amazing. It also takes a tiny bit less stamina to flip roll than fast roll.

Still fun as hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom