• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaptruder

Banned
Nope just the first time around :). Not even really grinding I don't think (just a bit to get the Furysword) and I've really not been stuck much aside from O&S for maybe an hour or two. I'm just a slow and steady gamer with this guy.

I'll have to try this again, he just spammed me to death with his fire attack when I tried last. Maybe I didn't go all the way back far enough by the armor to retrigger this incident. Now I'm having trouble even getting back to the armor spot, he just seems to do so much damage even with my 95% fire resist shield up.

Yeah, I guess I should. It's just such a big time commitment when you don't have tons of gaming time. If I can knock it off in 5-10 hours I guess that is still worth it. I've got new Steam sale games that I want to get a move on though, so hopefully it will go fast.

Having fought CD a few times now... the place to fight him is at the opening near the armor. Stand back far enough that you can see his entire body and therefore see the attack animation cues. Make sure you're light enough to roll away; the guy hits like a truck, and standing up to drink estus is no solution to beating him. Hit the tentacles; he's slow to pull back, rinse and repeat.

The first time around, I was fighting the dude blind (I kept hiding behind the mountain... which his tentacle can reach through); just getting hit, drinking up, then whacking him if the arm was still there. Wasn't an easy fight!

I could never get the IGN method to work for Ceaseless Discharge, I just hid in the tunnel shortcut and hit his arms when they attacked me (after dodging, obviously).

I am 80+ hours and only recently got the Vessel, going to be a long time before I finish my first run.

~75 hours and my first playthrough is done (I picked up DS about 4 days after it launched, I'm slow as fuck). Great experience, but I think the game maybe had a bit too much content, and the end game content felt kind of flat. I just couldn't get the motivation to go through Lost Izalith in full and took the shortcut right to the boss. What's weird, was thtat those areas didn't feel poorly designed, (well, okay, LI sucked), but the whole thing just kind of ran out of drive. I think the "Go to these 4 areas in any order structure" kind of sucked some of the energy out of the it compared to the first half.

The 360 version felt a little like a ghost town in the end (SL 80). No summon signs at all at the kiln, a few in demon ruins, and I didn't see a single one in New Londo, ToG, the Catacombs, Crystal caves or dukes. Couldn't get summoned in those areas either. I finally gave up and went Dark moon at the end to get some PVP in before the end. My build sucks at PVP, but it was fun, I had an epic dude with a guy that I was about to win when a Darkwraith invaded and stabbed me in the back.

Not sure if I'll start a new character to go try being a darkwraith, or if I'll just take a break, and play some of the other games I thought I'd be playing right now (Skyrim and Dues Ex are sitting forlornly on my shelf waiting to be played). Is there a lot of low level goodness on the 360 right now?

Zaptruder

Banned
I could never get the IGN method to work for Ceaseless Discharge, I just hid in the tunnel shortcut and hit his arms when they attacked me (after dodging, obviously).

I am 80+ hours and only recently got the Vessel, going to be a long time before I finish my first run.

The tunnel is a total red herring. It's the perfect place for CD to attack you, because his attacks are long and narrow.

The opening is wide... and open, making his attacks very easy to dodge. I'm not saying you won't die; but once you've learnt the attack patterns, killing him in NG+ will be a much simpler affair.

mxgt

Banned
Ceaseless Discharge is the easiest boss in the game IMO.

I stumbled across him by accident the first time, wasn't prepared and killed him without taking a single hit. I just rolled out of the hits and slashed until he died. Eh.

lunlunqq

New update: So I took the elevator down to New Londo ruins, but didnt actually go into the city. I approached it, saw some ghost and decided against it. Instead, I took a right, and headed into the Drake Valley. Saw what looked like a dead dragon, picked up a shield and sword and then dead Dragon woke up and killed me. Sooo good.gif.

Coming back, I proceeded into Blightown, go a little in before I was poisoned by dart snipers. I tried using the purple moss but it didnt help and died again.

Question: Whats the procedure when getting poisoned. I have lots of purple moss from Dark Root btw.

Again, Dark Souls is the best game Ive played this year. Amazing-amazing-amazing.

you were not just poisoned, you were toxin'ed, which can only be cured with a WHITE moss clump. Compared to toxin, poison is nothing...

Sullichin

Ceaseless Discharge is the easiest boss in the game IMO.

I stumbled across him by accident the first time, wasn't prepared and killed him without taking a single hit. I just rolled out of the hits and slashed until he died. Eh.

for some reason I find his hits extremely difficult to dodge, it's hard to know where his arm is going to land.

OMG...omg...the bonfire at the Stiil Shrine is out and the bonfire maiden is dead. What do I do? I just lost 6K souls in Blightown, and I wanna got back to get them but if I die where will I respawn?

Dresden

OMG...omg...the bonfire at the Stiil Shrine is out and the bonfire maiden is dead. What do I do? I just lost 6K souls in Blightown, and I wanna got back to get them but if I die where will I respawn?

Pick up the loot on her body, you get a chance to make things right later in
Anor Londo

There are two bonfires in Blighttown, one on top and one on bottom, watch out for them.

Sullichin

If firelink is the last bonfire you rested at (before it was out), that's where you'll respawn when you die. You just won't be able to rest/attune/level up there. You will be able to get your revenge by invading the world of the person who killed the firekeeper, and get her soul back (DON'T use this soul to upgrade your estus flask) to revive her. That won't happen until you're in the room right before the boss in Anor Londo though.

Ill Saint

Just keep playing. Use the bonfire at Andre as your base instead of Firelink?

Andrew.

Banned
So i bought the special edition...really looked forward to the game....started playing....for about 8-10 hours....beat a couple of the bosses...and then....out of nowhere...all my desire to continue dissapeared....i think the short term between beating its predecessor and playing shortly through the beginning of this one sapped all my patience for this type of game. Heres hoping that one day ill have the nerve to start this awesomely painful game up again.

krakov

The random encounters will make me play this game as long as it's still somewhat alive. It's quite amazing when you get a twinked invader to drop you a slab and return home. Or get a full dragon body dragonbow archer to help out in blight town. And so forth.

Pretty close to making a +3 gravelord now, still haven't seen a single black phantom enemy. Also, does anyone know how you make the egghead evolve? I've had it for a long time now and still have the kick.

Anth0ny

After grinding for 3 days, I've defeated the Tauros boss. fuck yesssssssssssssssssssssssssss

now I've been shooting this dragon in the tail for the last hour, this sword better be worth it lol

Sullichin

Didn't 1.05 prevent CD from falling into the pit?

Apparently not, but I cannot for the life of me do this trick since the patch. You have to run all the way back to where the gold hemmed set is, but even when I do this he never does the jumping attack. It's just insta kill fire breath over and over.

Apparently not, but I cannot for the life of me do this trick since the patch. You have to run all the way back to where the gold hemmed set is, but even when I do this he never does the jumping attack. It's just insta kill fire breath over and over.

It still works, I did it yesterday. You have to run back to the fog gate, not where the armor set was.

for some reason I find his hits extremely difficult to dodge, it's hard to know where his arm is going to land.

Yeah, I feel like this is my issue as well. His hitboxes just seem really funky to me, I often take damage when I feel like I've rolled well out of the way. Just an adjustment that I need to make a guess.

one85x

I mean I start at the fog gate, I run all the way to the top, and then all the way back to the fog gate. I've tried it several times.. I can't make him not do his fire breath attack.
Are you waiting for him at the altar before you start the run back to the fog gate?

Booshka

I mean I start at the fog gate, I run all the way to the top, and then all the way back to the fog gate. I've tried it several times.. I can't make him not do his fire breath attack.

he always does that attack, you just have to jog up to him, don't sprint, until he does the attack, then you can sprint to the fog gate after he does it. I cheese that boss every time 1st try.

Sullichin

Yeah, I feel like this is my issue as well. His hitboxes just seem really funky to me, I often take damage when I feel like I've rolled well out of the way. Just an adjustment that I need to make a guess.

Are you waiting for him at the altar before you start the run back to the fog gate?

he always does that attack, you just have to jog up to him, don't sprint, until he does the attack, then you can sprint to the fog gate after he does it. I cheese that boss every time 1st try.

Just got to Tomb of Giants. Do not like how dark it is. Anyone else find Pinwheel a push over?

I've tried waiting at the altar for him to come back. I'm mad that I messed up cheesing him before I got the armor set because its much harder to do after the fact. My low level dude can't survive his fire breath. I'll try specifically not sprinting on my way back up. I'll have to just keep trying... ah, Dark Souls.

SquirrelNuckle: Yeah i always beat pinwheel in like 3 seconds. I wish he had way more health, seems like it would be an interesting fight with the clones that he makes, and it has great music that you hear about 4 bars of before he's dead.

So after beating the Spider Witch boss and ringing the bell, theres a path with a creature and he asked if I was a new servant and i said no. Now he wont let me pass. Can I kill him and move on?

Sullichin

So after beating the Spider Witch boss and ringing the bell, theres a path with a creature and he asked if I was a new servant and i said no. Now he wont let me pass. Can I kill him and move on?

You've reached this covenant:
http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Chaos+Servant

Not sure if killing him affects the ability to join or use the bonfire there, but that is a useful bonfire and joining the covenant gets you a great pyro spell.

You've reached this covenant:
http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Chaos+Servant

Not sure if killing him affects the ability to join or use the bonfire there, but that is a useful bonfire and joining the covenant gets you a great pyro spell.

Well I killed him. I was able to join the convenant and got a super pyro spell. Theres a wall at the end of the hall and the messages on the floor indicate that its a shortcut, but I cant seem to get through it. Do I need to backtrack all the way back to Undead Parish??

Sullichin

Well I killed him. I was able to join the convenant and got a super pyro spell. Theres a wall at the end of the hall and the messages on the floor indicate that its a shortcut, but I cant seem to get through it. Do I need to backtrack all the way back to Undead Parish??

That's actually not the shortcut, but I've seen plenty of messages there. This covenant does open a shortcut to a later area in the game (Lost Izalith), once you've given spider lady 30 humanity and have beaten Demon Ruins. The shortcut is the circular platform in that area. Yeah you gotta backtrack, but you can go up the waterwheel -> keep going up all the ladders (look for the torches, pick up the key in the chest when you get to that part) -> valley of drakes -> new londo ruins for a hot second -> firelink. It's not too bad.

Also be sure to upgrade your pyro glove from Queelana if she's outside queelag's domain in blighttown. I think your flame needs to be +10 for her to show up.

CatPee

That's actually not the shortcut, but I've seen plenty of messages there. This covenant does open a shortcut to a later area in the game (Lost Izalith), once you've given spider lady 30 humanity and have beaten Demon Ruins. The shortcut is the circular platform in that area. Yeah you gotta backtrack, but you can go up the waterwheel -> keep going up all the ladders (look for the torches, pick up the key in the chest when you get to that part) -> valley of drakes -> new londo ruins for a hot second -> firelink. It's not too bad.

Also be sure to upgrade your pyro glove from Queelana if she's outside queelag's domain in blighttown. I think your flame needs to be +10 for her to show up.

Nope, that wall IS the shortcut and is unlocked after giving the Chaos Servant 20 Humanity. It bypasses Demon Ruins altogether, basically.

Dresden

god I wish I could play this for the first time again.

Yeah. I saw it in the distance so I ran back to the bonfire to get myself ready. Then I slowly approached it with a shield up . . . so good. The sense of dread when you first play it is fucking amazing.

Sorry guys for the play-by-play updates. Ive been off the last 2 days and DS is all Ive been playing.

So, what does this Snake head thing do, other than chat. Can he upgrade my weapons, cuz the blacksmith at the church doesnt use all the shards Ive got, like demon and green.

Just bought this today after spending ~70 hours in Demon's Souls (game of the generation right there)

Made my character look so cool, and now I find out most of the time he'll look like a zombie. It's a superficial reason not to want to play, but it's still really hard to enjoy the game with this ugly beast :-(

Back to Demon's Souls for now, <3 my blue phantom

mxgt

Banned
Made my character look so cool, and now I find out most of the time he'll look like a zombie. It's a superficial reason not to want to play, but it's still really hard to enjoy the game with this ugly beast :-(

You play these games with no armour equipped?

Booshka

Just bought this today after spending ~70 hours in Demon's Souls (game of the generation right there)

You will only look like a Zombie if you aren't very good at the game and are stuck in Hollow form. Keep playing, about 30 mins in you can reverse hollow and you will look better. Then, just keep it as motivation to stay in Human form as much as possible, makes the game more fun too, because you get invades and co op when in Human form

Dresden

Sorry guys for the play-by-play updates. Ive been off the last 2 days and DS is all Ive been playing.

So, what does this Snake head thing do, other than chat. Can he upgrade my weapons, cuz the blacksmith at the church doesnt use all the shards Ive got, like demon and green.

The snake head does a plot-thing later on. Also he's basically the vendor for the game - he'll 'eat' your items and give you back souls. You can also convert shards into lesser pieces.

There's multiple blacksmiths who do different things. Dude at the church does divine/occult/Normal+15 stuff. Before Anor Londo, the ones you can access is the fire blacksmith in Catacombs, or the magic blacksmith in New Londo.

You play these games with no armour equipped?

It's OK now I guess, Pyromancer's hood to cover that mess softened the blow. I don't want to waste Humanity just for cosmetic reasons.

Some first impression notes:

- Love the music in this - it's incredible so far.
- Having to kill the Asylum Demon was a huge shock. I love the callback to the first game with that surprise.
- Is it just me or are critical hits really unreliable now?
- Bloom lighting a bit overdone, but nonetheless pitch perfect atmosphere. Dripping with dread and fear, even moreso than the first.

Only played for a few hours, but it's a scary new world. Demon's Souls is like my comfort food, you know?

Dresden

You want to stay human as much as you can. Special NPC invasions who drop unique items depend on it, you can summon help, vagrants have the possibility of appearing, and of course invasions.

Humanity is cheap, don't worry about it.

mxgt

Banned
It's OK now I guess, Pyromancer's hood to cover that mess softened the blow. I don't want to waste Humanity just for cosmetic reasons.

Some first impression notes:

- Love the music in this - it's incredible so far.
- Having to kill the Asylum Demon was a huge shock. I love the callback to the first game with that surprise.
- Is it just me or are critical hits really unreliable now?
- Bloom lighting a bit overdone, but nonetheless pitch perfect atmosphere. Dripping with dread and fear, even moreso than the first.

Only played for a few hours, but it's a scary new world. Demon's Souls is like my comfort food, you know?

Humanity is easy to come across when you get a bit further in the game as it's easily farmable so you should have no problem staying Human.

Backstabs are a bit hit or miss I have found, can be standing right behind a guy with shield down and it won't go off. It's even worse in PvP.

sixghost

This is why I refuse to wear any armor that leaves any part of my character's body exposed. You look disgusting when you're hollow.

Thankfully humanity is more common after the patches. On release, it was pretty hard to come by unless you were clearing areas without dying.

edbrat

No don't be sorry keep doing it! Love it, reminds me of my first precious play through.

Frampt is important plot wise, you'll work it out soon ;) also high end weapons upgrades generally depend on smiths found in the later stages of the game, don't worry about this too much most important thing is powering up a weapon whose move set you are comfortable with, discovering all the stuff you can do with upgrades are what multiple playthroughs are for.

Where is the Humanity drops later in the game? Catacombs? I went back to The Depths today and got hardly anything. It's really handy for online co-op as you can use your flask.

As for my updates today, I've not actually progressed in the game at all as far as areas go (next place for me is Catacombs I think), I have just been dropping my Summon sign and playing online, it's so good. I do wish there was a proper invite system, would be great to easily hook up with friends.

mxgt

Banned
Where is the Humanity drops later in the game? Catacombs? I went back to The Depths today and got hardly anything. It's really handy for online co-op as you can use your flask.

If you have Covetous Gold Serpent Ring (can get in Sen's Fortress), equip it and 10 humanity and go to the bonfire in the depths, strip down so you can run and roll fast and go kill the 10 or so rats that are just round the corner, rinse and repeat.

Takes about a minute and I get 2-3 humanity on average every time.

Dresden

Also, where can I get another Claymore? I love my Lightning Claymore +4 but I'd like a +15 of it too :)

Only one per game.

The man-serpent greatsword that drops off the snake dudes in Sen's is a great substitute for +15. If you're a dex-build, the flamberge there is also similar to the claymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom