• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxgt

Banned
haha, had a duel for what must've been at least 20 minutes with an invader in the painted world when he accidentally rolled off the bridge to his death near the start. poor guy

So Ive decide to leave the Stray Demon boss at the Asylum until later. But what should I do now. Someone suggested that I go and change/upgrade my weapons. What are some good suggestions? And where should i move on to now? Should I tackel Blightown?

what's the last area you cleared?

If you've cleared the Depths then you should tackle Blighttown

lunlunqq

Just got summoned and had first fight against the Bell Gargoyles. IT FUCKING ROCKED!! We were rather over powered but that doesn't matter.

Got a shit load of Souls and a Hummanity. I can totally see the hook of online co-op in the game now, so good.

One question though, there was THREE of us?! How is that possible?

that's how it means to be: a human host can summon TWO phantoms for help.

Phew...

Finally 1k'd Dark Souls. So many hours wasted, but I loved every minute. I usually dont spend that much time finishing a game completely, but this one was so much fun, especially blowing through the game in New Game +.

I just got a Sunlight Medal that time, sweet. I can see how players are running around with millions of souls on them.

Regarding the Warriors of Sunlight Convenant, to join it you have to either have 50 Faith (25 now?) or have helped people online against bosses. I've just done two boss fights, but I only got 1 medal, so does that count as 2 people helped or 1 towards joining the Covenant?

thanks!

Jubs

Ok, so for chaos ascended weapons, just how much more damage do you do with humanity? I can't seem to find a weapon scaling chart for it anywhere.

Booshka

Ok, so for chaos ascended weapons, just how much more damage do you do with humanity? I can't seem to find a weapon scaling chart for it anywhere.

It's relatively minor, I'd say about 25-50 pts of damage max. When I compare my Fire +10 Claymore to my Chaos +5 Claymore with 10 Humanity, the damage difference is only 15 pts.

It's still worth it of course, but if you have trouble keeping Humanity in your counter, just go Fire or Lightning instead.

Also for Summons, when you get a Sunlight Medal, it means that a Warrior of Sunlight covenant member was with you and survived the fight.

Upgraded Black Iron set is incredible. Second only to Smough's in defense AFAIK and has great fire defense too. Not stupidly heavy and it looks badass. Only thing it lacks is poise, only 79.

Styles

Claymore+15 with Crystal Magic Weapon = GG

Actually any weapon that is at +15 covered by CMW is OP. Plus it makes the weapon look awesome!

Booshka

Upgraded Black Iron set is incredible. Second only to Smough's in defense AFAIK and has great fire defense too. Not stupidly heavy and it looks badass. Only thing it lacks is poise, only 79.

Giant's Armor is actually the best Defense if you +5 it all, and it has Poise of 91, it only weighs a little bit more than Black Iron, it doesn't look as cool, but it has insane stats.

Vect said:
Claymore+15 with Crystal Magic Weapon = GG

Actually any weapon weapon that is at +15 covered by CMW is OP. Plus it makes the weapon look awesome!

Try the Man-Serpent Greatsword at +15, it has A Strength scaling and the R1 attacks are the same as the Claymore's both 1H and 2H. It doesn't have as good of a moveset as the Claymore, but it does more damage. It weighs 10.0 though.

Sullichin

Ugh I need fire, chaos, divine, and occult trophies still.. don't feel like going through the trouble to make all of these. :| Then there's Knights Honor which I'm still convinced I'll never get.

Booshka

Ugh I need fire, chaos, divine, and occult trophies still.. don't feel like going through the trouble to make all of these. :| Then there's Knights Honor which I'm still convinced I'll never get.

are you on 360? I could drop you some upgrade supplies (Slabs even) if you are.

Sullichin

are you on 360? I could drop you some upgrade supplies (Slabs even) if you are.

Thanks a lot but I'm on PS3. My NG++ character is my best bet but I was stupid and didn't ascend weapons with the embers when I could, I have to get large flame/divine/chaos embers again...

EDIT: Anyway.. so my low level character that I made for co-op/low level pve fun/fight against darkwraiths isn't seeing many low level darkwraiths. I remember reading here that darkwraiths are just destroying noobs in the Burg and The Depths. I've only been able to help out a couple of people against these types. What's the best spot to drop a summon to help against low level darkwraiths?

haha, had a duel for what must've been at least 20 minutes with an invader in the painted world when he accidentally rolled off the bridge to his death near the start. poor guy

what's the last area you cleared?

If you've cleared the Depths then you should tackle Blighttown

I cleared the Depths, and Dark Root Woods, and went back to the Asylum, although I wont fight the boss there as I find him way too hard.

Booshka

Thanks a lot but I'm on PS3. My NG++ character is my best bet but I was stupid and didn't ascend weapons with the embers when I could, I have to get large flame/divine/chaos embers again...

EDIT: Anyway.. so my low level character that I made for co-op/low level pve fun/fight against darkwraiths isn't seeing many low level darkwraiths. I remember reading here that darkwraiths are just destroying noobs in the Burg and The Depths. I've only been able to help out a couple of people against these types. What's the best spot to drop a summon to help against low level darkwraiths?

I would try near the bonfire in the Depths, and right outside the Church, facing the Blacksmith pathway in Undead Parish.

Booshka

Almost 51 hours, lvl 56.
have one +5 weapon but not used any embers yet.

I hate making decisions.

Whatever weapon you like to use, Upgrade it to Normal +5, then go to Andre Blacksmith in Undead Parish and ascend it to Normal +6, take it to Normal +10 then go to Anor Londo to the Giant Blacksmith and ascend it to Lightning. Upgrade it from there, if you really like the weapon take it to Lightning +5, otherwise leave it at Lightning +4. Game will be easy if you do that.

Dresden

For those trophies you can always just do the save trick (craft the item to get the achievement, but don't exit out of the menu since it saves upon exit; instead dashboard out). Cheap, but whatever.

Zaptruder

Banned
Gotta say that the forest hunter hunters are a pretty good matchup against my SL150 character. There's normally 2 of them, and they're assholes for the most part, so it just feels good when you leverage all your strength and knowledge of the terrain to beat them out.

They're not exactly there for sport; they're definetly trying to kill you, so there's no qualms in popping humanities for heals as well. It's dark souls PVP at its finest edge! (i.e. unrelentingly brutal... for everyone!)

Great fun. Shame that there's a X minute wait between each matchup - but I think that's part of its addictive appeal. Behaviour is better reinforced by random intervals of wait then regularity.

Ill Saint

Now that was an absurd Andor Lando co-op session. Two Darkmoons, and a Darkwraith vs the host, and two phantoms (one of which was myself).

It was all a bit too much for one of the Darkmoons, who busted out WotG, so of course that meant that everyone now had to try and out WotG each other, with me ping-ponging in the midst of it all.

Dresden

Really loving the great scythe--the R2 attacks are great, decent speed, and has incredible range. Sprinting attack is good too.
Great fun. Shame that there's a X minute wait between each matchup - but I think that's part of its addictive appeal. Behaviour is better reinforced by random intervals of wait then regularity.

Doesn't the dried finger reset invasion timers? That might help.

Styles

Now that was an absurd Andor Lando co-op session. Two Darkmoons, and a Darkwraith vs the host, and two phantoms (one of which was myself).

It was all a bit too much for one of the Darkmoons, who busted out WotG, so of course that meant that everyone now had to try and out WotG each other, with me ping-ponging in the midst of it all.

That sounds fucking awesome, I need to get my butt over there right away!

Shiiiiitttt the online in this is amazing, it's so damn addictive. The catacombs can wait for now!

Is the Anor Lando boss fight the hotspot for co-op games? I might try out The Depths, Gaping Dragon might be good fun in co-op...

I got Zelda and Batman for Christmas, GOOD LUCK WITH THAT.

Saying that, I also got the 3DS Ghost Recon which is great to play whilst waiting to be summoned :D

Styles

Shiiiiitttt the online in this is amazing, it's so damn addictive. The catacombs can wait for now!

Is the Anor Lando boss fight the hotspot for co-op games? I might try out The Depths, Gaping Dragon might be good fun in co-op...

I've done most of my co-op sessions in New Londo Ruins, so you could try there if you haven't already.

krakov

Gotta say that the forest hunter hunters are a pretty good matchup against my SL150 character. There's normally 2 of them, and they're assholes for the most part, so it just feels good when you leverage all your strength and knowledge of the terrain to beat them out.

They're not exactly there for sport; they're definetly trying to kill you, so there's no qualms in popping humanities for heals as well. It's dark souls PVP at its finest edge! (i.e. unrelentingly brutal... for everyone!)

I'd say they are usually well below SL 100 and they are probably assholes because they spend 99% of their time getting stomped on by folk who are way beyond their level. There are many options for PvP that doesn't completely break the intention of a covenant. I quite enjoy the challenge of pimped forest campers but it can be pretty damn infuriating trying to get the ring of fog anytime before AL and SL50+

lunlunqq

Will do. I've not actually visited that area myself yet, I'll have to check it out. Cheers :)

since there are level limits, the "hot spots" really depends on your level. if you are 30-ish, gaping dragon and carpra demon, even quelaag, are good. 50-ish would be anor londo. higher then try the later bosses. now people prefer to pick up phantoms as early as possible due to invasions. your best bet is always the near the first bonfire of that level. if there is no bonfire, then at the very beginning.

the forest is always a active spot for any level. just drop your sign at the bottom of the stairs leading down to the forest. most likely you will experience not only the boss fight, but some true PvP against human invaders.

since there are level limits, the "hot spots" really depends on your level. if you are 30-ish, gaping dragon and carpra demon, even quelaag, are good. 50-ish would be anor londo. higher then try the later bosses. now people prefer to pick up phantoms as early as possible due to invasions. your best bet is always the near the first bonfire of that level. if there is no bonfire, then at the very beginning.

the forest is always a active spot for any level. just drop your sign at the bottom of the stairs leading down to the forest. most likely you will experience not only the boss fight, but some true PvP against human invaders.

Thanks for the advice. I've just been at the Undead Parish at the moment, I am Level 104!

Zaptruder

Banned
I'd say they are usually well below SL 100 and they are probably assholes because they spend 99% of their time getting stomped on by folk who are way beyond their level. There are many options for PvP that doesn't completely break the intention of a covenant. I quite enjoy the challenge of pimped forest campers but it can be pretty damn infuriating trying to get the ring of fog anytime before AL and SL50+

Nah you misunderstood me. I'm a forest hunter; and I make it my job to take out the campers that take on forest hunters. On average they seem to be around SL120, although there's a fair amount of variability. Most of them are there to farm; and the unwritten agreement in the forest, you're there to kill, not to duel, which is fine by me.

krakov

Nah you misunderstood me. I'm a forest hunter; and I make it my job to take out the campers that take on forest hunters. On average they seem to be around SL120, although there's a fair amount of variability. Most of them are there to farm; and the unwritten agreement in the forest, you're there to kill, not to duel, which is fine by me.

Yeah sorry, I did. I've been planning on doing some viable forest hunters as well but I always lose interest at around SL 50.

Shito

Ok, just found Kaathe on my second run ; unlike a lot of you here I reaaaally like the way From approaches story in their games, mainly in Demon's and Dark Souls.
I love how Kaathe is basically the only one to tell you the real story behing the game, and how you're supposed to miss him on your first run. This is really well done, and even though a lot of people will miss on this "twist", I like the fact that you can guess by yourself that the lordvessel only open the doors to three of the four souls you are supposed to bring back, thus inciting you to go and see what happens when you defeat Four Kings first and foremost.
This is really subtle, and I don't think the game needs much more explanation or story than it already has ; I would even think it helps strengthening this feeling of mystery around the world.
Like everyone is saying: those two games aren't about the destination, but about the journey.

New update: So I took the elevator down to New Londo ruins, but didnt actually go into the city. I approached it, saw some ghost and decided against it. Instead, I took a right, and headed into the Drake Valley. Saw what looked like a dead dragon, picked up a shield and sword and then dead Dragon woke up and killed me. Sooo good.gif.

Coming back, I proceeded into Blightown, go a little in before I was poisoned by dart snipers. I tried using the purple moss but it didnt help and died again.

Question: Whats the procedure when getting poisoned. I have lots of purple moss from Dark Root btw.

Again, Dark Souls is the best game Ive played this year. Amazing-amazing-amazing.

Wool

I really like being in the Forest Hunters too, I feel like I've got a mission I can believe in. These people just keep coming in trying to defile the Grave and the forest, I need to protect it. None of the other covenants feel as justified. Invading the guilty seems good, but the idea of working under Gwyndolin is bad.

Talk me down from the edge Dark Souls folks. I totally love this game, my GOTY no doubt (edging out Jamestown) but I'm really running out of steam for the final push. I've pretty much just got Demon Ruins, Lost Izalith and the End Game left to go (have 3 lord souls already). I'm stuck a bit currently on Ceaseless Discharge and I just don't feel the desire to go on anymore. I think it's just a case of burnout, I got this game day one and it's been pretty much the only thing that I've played since then. My game clock is around 80 hours or so which is like 4-5 times the amount that I've spend on any game in the last few years.

It seems so odd in this age to complain about game length. But I actually would have loved to have all four or so of these final areas combined down into just two or so. They just don't seem to have the same spark as the early areas, and while I enjoyed The Duke's Archives I really can't say that The Tomb of the Giants, New Londo Ruins or The Crystal Caves did much for me. Am I missing out on good stuff if I stop now?

Talk me down from the edge Dark Souls folks. I totally love this game, my GOTY no doubt (edging out Jamestown) but I'm really running out of steam for the final push. I've pretty much just got Demon Ruins, Lost Izalith and the End Game left to go (have 3 lord souls already). I'm stuck a bit currently on Ceaseless Discharge and I just don't feel the desire to go on anymore. I think it's just a case of burnout, I got this game day one and it's been pretty much the only thing that I've played since then. My game clock is around 80 hours or so which is like 4-5 times the amount that I've spend on any game in the last few years.

It seems so odd in this age to complain about game length. But I actually would have loved to have all four or so of these final areas combined down into just two or so. They just don't seem to have the same spark as the early areas, and while I enjoyed The Duke's Archives I really can't say that The Tomb of the Giants, New Londo Ruins or The Crystal Caves did much for me. Am I missing out on good stuff if I stop now?

80 hours? Are you n NG+?

one85x

New update: So I took the elevator down to New Londo ruins, but didnt actually go into the city. I approached it, saw some ghost and decided against it. Instead, I took a right, and headed into the Drake Valley. Saw what looked like a dead dragon, picked up a shield and sword and then dead Dragon woke up and killed me. Sooo good.gif.

Coming back, I proceeded into Blightown, go a little in before I was poisoned by dart snipers. I tried using the purple moss but it didnt help and died again.

Question: Whats the procedure when getting poisoned. I have lots of purple moss from Dark Root btw.

Again, Dark Souls is the best game Ive played this year. Amazing-amazing-amazing.
You got hit with toxic, which is cured by the blooming moss. You can tell the difference between the two by looking at the teardrop: purple is poison and black is toxic.

PTtidus

Neo Member
Finally managed to get all achievements on the xbox 360.

What an amazing game, I believe it's my favorite game this gen.

Now I'm gonna go on an invasion frenzy, so beware my friends ;)

Sullichin

I agree that the later areas don't feel nearly as special. BUT, for what its worth, I enjoyed Demon's Ruins more than Tomb of Giants and New Londo Ruins. That area's really not bad at all, except the Ceaseless Discharge fight (you can kill him the "easy way" but I haven't been able to do this since I did it the first time. My level 15 character is stuck there, I lost 36 humanity to that bastard). But killing Capras in Demon Ruins is certainly more fun than killing those god damn skeleton dogs in Tomb of Giants. Then you have Lost Izalith left which has quite a frustrating boss. There's also a fairly annoying bit with tons of lava and big dinosaur type enemies. Thankfully you can skip this area if you're part of the chaos covenant and give her 30 humanity. I suggest doing this. You will most likely still save some time even if you need to farm humanity. THEN there's the final boss which imo is quite hard - you will be best off if you're good at parries and have a shield with good fire defense (black knight shield). I was stuck on that fucker for like 3 hours my first play through.

In short, it is worth beating, you made it this far. Demon Ruins should provide some fun and Izalith will most likely just be frustrating. But you're so close!

On an unrelated note, last night I was summoned to Sen's at level 15, man what an awesome time. Sen's Fortress is so good. We killed the titanite demons and one of the big golems. Host gets knocked off a ledge by a serpent so I follow, we get back to the boulder area, and we somehow lose each other.. I run back up the stairs from the mimic chest and I see him running down the stairs. As we go to meet each other and continue our adventure we fail to realize the bad timing of being in that certain hallway, and we get crushed by a boulder. I get summoned by him again in the beginning of the level. Not too far up a lightning bolt pushes my character back and makes me get hit by a swinging blade and I fall to my death. Tried to get summoned again but no luck. But man, co-opping a whole level and not just a boss is a ton of fun.

SpaceBridge said:
80 hours? Are you n NG+?
Eh, my first playthrough was about 90 hours by the end of it. Tons of co-op and general fucking around tho. And plenty of dying of course.

80 hours? Are you n NG+?

Nope just the first time around :). Not even really grinding I don't think (just a bit to get the Furysword) and I've really not been stuck much aside from O&S for maybe an hour or two. I'm just a slow and steady gamer with this guy.

ceaseless discharge can be killed really quickly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEAQSc_lICI

I'll have to try this again, he just spammed me to death with his fire attack when I tried last. Maybe I didn't go all the way back far enough by the armor to retrigger this incident. Now I'm having trouble even getting back to the armor spot, he just seems to do so much damage even with my 95% fire resist shield up.

I agree that the later areas don't feel nearly as special. BUT, for what its worth, I enjoyed Demon's Ruins more than Tomb of Giants and New Londo Ruins. That area's really not bad at all, except the Ceaseless Discharge fight (you can kill him the "easy way" but I haven't been able to do this since I did it the first time. My level 15 character is stuck there, I lost 36 humanity to that bastard). But killing Capras in Demon Ruins is certainly more fun than killing those god damn skeleton dogs in Tomb of Giants. Then you have Lost Izalith left which has quite a frustrating boss. There's also a fairly annoying bit with tons of lava and big dinosaur type enemies. Thankfully you can skip this area if you're part of the chaos covenant and give her 30 humanity. I suggest doing this. You will most likely still save some time even if you need to farm humanity. THEN there's the final boss which imo is quite hard - you will be best off if you're good at parries and have a shield with good fire defense (black knight shield). I was stuck on that fucker for like 3 hours my first play through.

In short, it is worth beating, you made it this far. Demon Ruins should provide some fun and Izalith will most likely just be frustrating. But you're so close!

Eh, my first playthrough was about 90 hours by the end of it. Tons of co-op and general fucking around tho. And plenty of dying of course.

Yeah, I guess I should. It's just such a big time commitment when you don't have tons of gaming time. If I can knock it off in 5-10 hours I guess that is still worth it. I've got new Steam sale games that I want to get a move on though, so hopefully it will go fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom