• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goddamn Blighttown was tough. Died like 19 times. I had only gone through the front all the way like 3 times before and now I was super weak too. But still beat Quelaag and all that, next up out from backdoor and maybe getting that Firekeepers soul. (There's one right?)

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Goddamn Blighttown was tough. Died like 19 times. I had only gone through the front all the way like 3 times before and now I was super weak too. But still beat Quelaag and all that, next up out from backdoor and maybe getting that Firekeepers soul. (There's one right?)

I think there's an egg sac dude you can talk to behind Quelaags in case you're still there, I think a covenant is involved. I forget about fire keepers soul

I think there's an egg sac dude you can talk to behind Quelaags in case you're still there, I think a covenant is involved. I forget about fire keepers soul

Yeah I most often take that fire first as you can spawn there later. Firekeepers soul might be under the big monster, at least you went through the backway etc.

the firekeepers soul in blighttown is located in the sewer-like area you climb up/next to when you leave the backdoor/valley of drakes way.

My whole apartment has become obsessed with this game. Basically one of the four of us is playing it at all times....

I have a few questions about summoning.

Can you still set a summon stone if you have defeated the area boss on your own game?

What is the level stipulation for summoning? Is it within 2 levels?

My whole apartment has become obsessed with this game. Basically one of the four of us is playing it at all times....

I have a few questions about summoning.

Can you still set a summon stone if you have defeated the area boss on your own game?

What is the level stipulation for summoning? Is it within 2 levels?

you can set a summon stone anywhere despite the boss of your own world being alive or dead, so you can play as a phantom in another player's world. If you kill a boss, you won't be able to summon others in that area IN YOUR OWN WORLD

the formula for summoning is 10+/- and 10% of the summoners' level. not the summonee.

oracrest

The OP banners aren't loading for me, is this happening with everyone? Did the host get too much traffic? Maybe they have been down for a while and I am just noticing for the first time.

The only real bitch of a trophy is the fucking Rare Weapons. What a colossal pain in the ass that was.

Yeah that one sucks because you have weapons like the Channeler's Trident that just refuse to drop unless your item discovery is maxed out. Plus you have to beat Sif three times and stuff like that.

Nice work. I'm still one trophy away (the all miracles one). I am about halfway through with it though.

I'm surprised you got the rare weapons trophy before the miracles one!

Arkos

The OP banners aren't loading for me, is this happening with everyone? Did the host get too much traffic? Maybe they have been down for a while and I am just noticing for the first time.

Banners working fine here. iOS on wifi, I dunno

Nose Master

Seems like that sale made this game blow up again. I have 4 friends that are starting it or replaying it, and I'm also playing it again.

PS:

295553_10151664759251368_1165095454_n.jpg

The clipping on onion armor body (without any other pieces) is fucking hilarious.

Grinchy

Banned
The only real bitch of a trophy is the fucking Rare Weapons. What a colossal pain in the ass that was.

I'm surprised you got the rare weapons trophy before the miracles one!

Yep that trophy sucked so bad to get. The reason I didn't do the miracle ones yet was because I didn't start out actually caring about the plat. I had a DEX build, an INT build, STR, ect. So I never went after miracles on any of them.

I decided to just wait until I made a faith build for the miracles trophy, which I'm working on now. The thing that sucks the most about it is the covenant-specific ones. Grinding out eyes of death and souvenirs has just been annoying. I already have the 10 sunbro medals I need before even joining that covenant though.

Yep that trophy sucked so bad to get. The reason I didn't do the miracle ones yet was because I didn't start out actually caring about the plat. I had a DEX build, an INT build, STR, ect. So I never went after miracles on any of them.

I decided to just wait until I made a faith build for the miracles trophy, which I'm working on now. The thing that sucks the most about it is the covenant-specific ones. Grinding out eyes of death and souvenirs has just been annoying. I already have the 10 sunbro medals I need before even joining that covenant though.

Yeah the Souvenirs of Reprisal were a bit annoying to get; I invaded Dark Londo many times and just could not find the host for some reason so I ended up grinding it out from the crows in the painted world.

Ruuppa

isnt dark bead STR based?

It's Int/Str/Dex, if your catalyst has the scaling for them. With Tin Crystallization Catalyst the scaling for Str is E, so you'll be getting around 1 point of damage per Str invested. Not sure if only the scaling and amount of Str/Dex matters, or if the weapon's physical damage rating affects it as well, but if it does affect it, TCC has quite a large amount of it for a Catalyst(240).

At least that's what I've gleaned from reading, never made a Sorcery -based character.

you can set a summon stone anywhere despite the boss of your own world being alive or dead, so you can play as a phantom in another player's world. If you kill a boss, you won't be able to summon others in that area IN YOUR OWN WORLD

the formula for summoning is 10+/- and 10% of the summoners' level. not the summonee.

Ah, that makes sense. Thank you.

Beat O&S last night, awesome fight. Immediately after made Quelaag's Furysword. Unfortunately it does way less damage than my Uchigatana+10, so I guess I won't switch to it....

Dyno

I would appreciate someone telling me their experiences with the Blade of the Darkmoon Covenant. I've playing a Str/Fai character so the Talisman you get is really good for later play. What about the rest? Does the Ring go off a lot? Do you get to invade sinner worlds on a regular basis? What about the Darkmoon Blade miracle? I see you can only use it once? Is it a powerful buff that's worth the slot?

I see someone above mentioned that gather Souveniers of Reprisal can be tough. Is that anyone else's experience?

Dyno

Ah, that makes sense. Thank you.

Beat O&S last night, awesome fight. Immediately after made Quelaag's Furysword. Unfortunately it does way less damage than my Uchigatana+10, so I guess I won't switch to it....

It's a great weapon against opponents who are weak against fire. My first character used both Uchi and the Furysword. It will come in handy against the undead and Nito. Since they both use different titanite to upgrade there is no reason why you shouldn't max out both.

Ruuppa

I would appreciate someone telling me their experiences with the Blade of the Darkmoon Covenant. I've playing a Str/Fai character so the Talisman you get is really good for later play. What about the rest? Does the Ring go off a lot? Do you get to invade sinner worlds on a regular basis? What about the Darkmoon Blade miracle? I see you can only use it once? Is it a powerful buff that's worth the slot?

I see someone above mentioned that gather Souveniers of Reprisal can be tough. Is that anyone else's experience?

Invasions are platform-dependent. If you're on PC, you won't be getting all that many invasions, but PS3 and 360 have a bigger scene. Be vary of using the ring, since like Cat Covenant, it can lead to farm-parties.

At maximum Covenant rank, Darkmoon Blade is a pretty damn strong buff.

Souveniers can be farmed from the Painted World, but it's tedious work, like farming Dragon Scales.

Arkos

Holy crap I just joined the Cat Covenant, first PvP one I've really joined (joined Darkmoon for a second but immediately went through fog door out of curiosity :p), and that ring is busy! Lots of invasions. Unfortunately I've lost them all so far. Can't tell when it's lagging and when it's not (360). Fought two guys dressed up as S&O though, lol.

I'm getting near endgame so I've checked out a few covenants, the PvP is pretty cool (obviously).

Now I want to help some people with some bosses, but I'm like SL80, does that mean only people with the same SL can summon me (meaning I can only do late game bosses)?

Ruuppa

Holy crap I just joined the Cat Covenant, first PvP one I've really joined (joined Darkmoon for a second but immediately went through fog door out of curiosity :p), and that ring is busy! Lots of invasions. Unfortunately I've lost them all so far. Can't tell when it's lagging and when it's not (360). Fought two guys dressed up as S&O though, lol.

I'm getting near endgame so I've checked out a few covenants, the PvP is pretty cool (obviously).

Now I want to help some people with some bosses, but I'm like SL80, does that mean only people with the same SL can summon me (meaning I can only do late game bosses)?

Normal co-op range applies: 10% of the host's SL + 10. SL 100 can summon 80 to 120, so you can be summoned by a host who's between 62 and 98. That means just about any boss from S&O and up.

Just jumped back in and curious if there's anyone playing during the day? Right now I'm soul level 81 running to tomb of the giant.

Also is pyromancy intelligence based? And is it worth buffing Astoras Straight Sword vs BSS?

Arjen

Just jumped back in and curious if there's anyone playing during the day? Right now I'm soul level 81 running to tomb of the giant.

Also is pyromancy intelligence based? And is it worth buffing Astoras Straight Sword vs BSS?

Pyromancy is not stat based, damage only goes up by upgrading your glove.
Both those sword can't be buffed if i recall correctly.

Came up from the Blighttown, talked to Frampt and jumped down as I remembered that was what I was supposed to do... oh well, once again up from Blighttown and towards Sen's Fortress. Upgraded weapons and went forward. And I got owned, hard.

Well shit.jpg

backtrack to Havel, get the ring, change better gear and now I am a killing machine, both in sorcery (despite the crappy spells) and melee (re-enforced club plus 9 woot). Finished Sen's with easy and played until the arrow part.

Can't wait to get some better spells than heavy soul arrow...

Dyno

Somewhat useful in the beginning/mid-game if you've got the Faith to take advantage of the scaling, otherwise meh. Still better than the Drake Sword.

I have it upgraded to +2 with my faith build for now. It you liked the longsword or broadsword then ASS will feel comfortable for you. It's light-weight and fast so you can kill opponents with a flurry of slashes. Many players will dismiss it but I ended up using it in the catacombs where not much could stand against it.

So for me it was worth 2 twinkling titantite and it served me well. I made a Divine Claymore that of course does bigger damage but I'm keeping the ASS around in case I end up with heavy armour/shield and need to use a light weapon for encumbrance purposes.

Ultryx

Who should I take down next?

I just beat
Pinwheel
and
The Great Wolf Sif
Ceaseless Discharge
(which is actually really difficult with all that fire damage he does. Basically one shots me and
The Four Kings
come to mind too.

Grinchy

Banned
Man, Gwyn doesn't fuck around, he's got my ass locked down pretty hard.

Yeah I died a shit load of times to him on my dex build before finally beating the game for the first time. It's all about parrying his first jump attack when the fight starts and then backing up after the riposte. If you stay further away from him, it's easier to parry him again because he has to use one of his moves that are easier to parry.

Anyone else having trouble playing co op with friends? We both have DSCfix(1.2) and have been playing perfectly on co op for the last few days. Suddenly yesterday, it stopped working. Any ideas?

We tried redragging it into the DATA folder and replacing the files, too.

Booshka

Just remember, you brought this on yourself. ::ducks for cover::

Brought what on? Seeing a tail and shooting it :p

Drake Sword is an early game power boost, but it leads a lot of new players to skip the ever critical weapon upgrading mechanic of this game. So when that weapon falls off the proverbial damage cliff and you hit a wall because you have no idea what to do, don't be surprised.

If you can just use it as the early game boost it is, while upgrading actual weapons to complement your stats and playstyle, then you will be fine.

So advice from the DS pros.

I'm running a dex build and have 47 in dex SL is currently 86. Should I go for the greatsword of atorias and the dragonslayer spear(ornstein soul)? Is there another weapon you can recommend for a dex based build?

Booshka

So advice from the DS pros.

I'm running a dex build and have 47 in dex SL is currently 86. Should I go for the greatsword of atorias and the dragonslayer spear(ornstein soul)? Is there another weapon you can recommend for a dex based build?

Most of the Boss soul weapons are trash, only suitable for stupidly over-leveled characters. Your Dexterity is over-leveled btw, but you'll be alright, just don't level it anymore. Quelagg's soul makes two good Dex weapons, the best Katana in the game, Chaos Blade, and Quelagg's Fury Sword, which has good speed range and damage and is lightweight, but it has split damage. Both require you to have active humanity for maximum damage though, so if you are going to use them, try to have 10 active humanity for max damage.

Most of the good dex weapons are just normal weapons upgraded to +15 to maximize the scaling of your dex stat and get pure physical damage. Uchi, Iaito are good Katanas for pure Dex. Balder Side Sword, Rapier, Ricards Rapier and Estoc are good for straight swords and thrusting weapons. Scythe, Great Scythe are high damage and excellent as well. Falchion, Painting Guardian Sword and Gold Tracer (DLC) are best curved swords that have lower range but very high DPS.

In general, just upgrade weapons that have B or A scaling, the scaling goes up as you upgrade by the way, and use the ones that have movesets you like. Don't bother too much with boss weapons or special weapons, the best weapons are just normal weapons that you upgrade to +14/15 and have good stat scaling with Dexterity.

I have a SL70 Sorcerer and about to go the New Londo Ruins. Any tips on the Four Kings? I've beaten them before with a Melee build w/BK Greatsword...but i just tanked them that time. Anyone ever tried them as a Sorcerer before?

I have an Enchanted Falchion +4 that does does 399 Damage, so maybe i'll try that if i run out of spells.

Booshka

I have a SL70 Sorcerer and about to go the New Londo Ruins. Any tips on the Four Kings? I've beaten them before with a Melee build w/BK Greatsword...but i just tanked them that time. Anyone ever tried them as a Sorcerer before?

I have an Enchanted Falchion +4 that does does 399 Damage, so maybe i'll try that if i run out of spells.

min max your sorcery damage with bellowing ring, and dusk crown. Spam Homing Crystal Soulmass and Soul spears, Crystal and regular ones. Also if you have the Dark Bead Shotgun you can just stand there and press the cast button and win. If you min max your Sorcery well enough you can trivialize the entire game. It's the defacto build for all bosses speedruns because of how quickly it destroys bosses.

Drake Sword is an early game power boost, but it leads a lot of new players to skip the ever critical weapon upgrading mechanic of this game. So when that weapon falls off the proverbial damage cliff and you hit a wall because you have no idea what to do, don't be surprised.

If you can just use it as the early game boost it is, while upgrading actual weapons to complement your stats and playstyle, then you will be fine.

I don't know what I want to upgrade
I have to look into how crafting works

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I don't know what I want to upgrade
I have to look into how crafting works

Titanite is cheap. Experiment.

First let go of that cursed drake sword, then try out different weapon styles and find one that suits you. They are all viable so no worries there.

As early as you are, you can try out hammers, axes, halberds, spears, curved swords, daggers, greatswords, ultraswords, katanas, piercing swords, even greathammers if you have the master key.

The important thing is to decide wether to go STR or DEX. Admitedly, not even that matters as you can make workable quality builds with weapons like the zwei or mura, or even turn your favorite weapon into elemental which means you don't even need stats to get good, solid damage.

So yeah, trash that blased drake sword, and try out weapons. It will be painful at first not one shotting enemies in the parish, but more rewarding in the end.

Otherwise you'll reach Sen's and hit enemies that have 500 hitpoints for 40 a pop. It's not fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom