• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seance

Banned
I'm just gonna drop a recommendation on you, but the Great Scythe is a fantastic weapon. When you get it, you should give it a try. Really useful moveset.

scythe_by_alo81-d67v4qd.gif

It's beautiful.

Insanely good reach, damage, dex scaling, crit bonus and moveset.

I'm not sure if this or the Falchion are the most overpowered/broken PvP weapons. Probably this.

Ruuppa

I'm not sure if this or the Falchion are the most overpowered/broken PvP weapons. Probably this.

Definitely the Great Scythe. Those wide sweeps from such a huge range are immensely good at deterring BS-fishing, and the step-back attack is damn fast to boot. The only thing it lacks is proper Poise damage.

SteveWD40

Since I am getting a new pad for my PC I am looking at grabbing this, couple of questions:

1. How intrusive is GFWL on PC? do I have to log in via their fugly programs every time or is it a one and done thing?

2. How much of an endgame is there, forgive my ignorance but I hear people talk about almost endless playability, is there a ton of high end loot to strive for?

Thanks.

Since I am getting a new pad for my PC I am looking at grabbing this, couple of questions:

1. How intrusive is GFWL on PC? do I have to log in via their fugly programs every time or is it a one and done thing?

After you login to it once, you don't have to do it again. (Although the window will still pop up for a second.) Once you get it set up, it's not that big of a deal. The bigger issue on PC is the online problems, although there was a mod released that makes it much easier to connect and play with your friends.

2. How much of an endgame is there, forgive my ignorance but I hear people talk about almost endless playability, is there a ton of high end loot to strive for?

Thanks.

There's definitely a lot of really cool loot (weapons, spells, armor) to get. A good chunk of optional areas and bosses as well. There's also New Game+ that significantly increases the difficulty. (In fact, you can play all the way up to NG+7, and it will get somewhat harder each time.)

I think the main pull of replayability for most people, though, is starting new characters. It's really a ton of fun trying new builds and characters.

I probably put about 100 hours into the game with my first, main character, just getting everything, playing NG+, etc. Then another 130 hours playing a whole handful of different characters and challenges. And there's still plenty more I want to try. In over 230 hours I still haven't played any sort of magic or intelligence based character, for example.

I would definitely recommend picking it up. It's one of the best games I've ever played.

krakov

Or not, it's easily countered. Pick anything with a poke and the leo ring and you can trade all day. The one handed moveset is pretty shit and the two handed moveset is easy to predict and parry. Damage is high, weight is low and bleed is good, but it's not as good as people make it out to be. Far from broken or OP, and the same goes for the falchion, just poke or parry that spammer.

The weapons that are best for PvP imho are the ones with a good varied move set, such as for example the claymore.

That said, the balance between different weapons are pretty good overall I feel, almost everything is viable.

If you get a gargoyle's Halberd, don't disregard it just because its a "beginner boss weapon".

that Thing is beast! awesome reach, moveset, gives 25% buff resist to poison/bleed/curse AND on top of all that ish....ITS ENCHANTABLE! its part of my dragon covenant build. I can OHKO most players after darkmoon buff + dragon's roar buff.

Buff-> Dragon roar-> player gets staggered even if they block because dragon roar will stumble any shield-> overhead 2h attack for OHKO because leo ring buff that gives damage % when players are staggered/in attack animation :D

i once invaded in anor londo and OHKO'd the host and the 2 phantoms with the R2 double spin attack because i got in the middle of them, roared for buff, staggered them, started my R2 super armor spin attack, and since they all went in for the attack, the leo ring activated due to their attack animation and we all killed each other (dragon body has shit defense, its a glass canon build)

Ruuppa

Or not, it's easily countered. Pick anything with a poke and the leo ring and you can trade all day. The one handed moveset is pretty shit and the two handed moveset is easy to predict and parry. Damage is high, weight is low and bleed is good, but it's not as good as people make it out to be. Far from broken or OP, and the same goes for the falchion, just poke or parry that spammer.

The weapons that are best for PvP imho are the ones with a good varied move set, such as for example the claymore.

That said, the balance between different weapons are pretty good overall I feel, almost everything is viable.

Dependent on latency. Stabbing with a fast and stabby weapon isn't all that useful when the opponent is never actually where you're stabbing, instead being half a metre to the left, prepping for a BS-pirouette.

Sucks playing in Finland with a crap connection when 80% of the invaders are like that.

AutumnAve

Yeah I died a shit load of times to him on my dex build before finally beating the game for the first time. It's all about parrying his first jump attack when the fight starts and then backing up after the riposte. If you stay further away from him, it's easier to parry him again because he has to use one of his moves that are easier to parry.

Parrying is absolutely hit or miss with me. I can't get with the program, if we're talking about third strike, then well, I'm awful there too. ughh.

Jesus fucking christ I almost pee'd myself because I forgot one Mimic's existence in Anor Londo. "Oh I missed that chest"... classic.

Got owned by Lautrec and his buddies twice :(

Grinchy

Banned
Parrying is absolutely hit or miss with me. I can't get with the program, if we're talking about third strike, then well, I'm awful there too. ughh.

It's definitely weird getting the timing down at first. Since I played a dex character first, I ended up parrying a ton in the early game and getting the timing down.

You might already know this, but if you use a small shield like a Target Shield, the window of opportunity for a parry is longer (making it easier to parry). It won't block much damage though. Oh and also as a side tip: learn how to sprint through the entire zone leading up to the fight. The most frustrating thing about retrying the fight is having to slowly trek back through.

Seance

Banned
PvP parrying is wildly inconsistent. You need to be aware of your opponents geographical location, then estimate latency based on the distance between you.

Not so bad for Americans, where you can often just assume your opponent is another American.

krakov

Dependent on latency. Stabbing with a fast and stabby weapon isn't all that useful when the opponent is never actually where you're stabbing, instead being half a metre to the left, prepping for a BS-pirouette.

Sucks playing in Finland with a crap connection when 80% of the invaders are like that.

Well I am from Sweden so I should probably feel the same but I guess I have adapted to the lag. A good spear or a sword with roll poke is great for keeping the opponent away and trading blows. Since I learned how to counter-BS I don't have much problem with fishers anymore, I usually trade with no damage taken or better. That said, there are some real BS-magicians out there. And I remember the times where I couldn't grasp how lag and backstabs work, which was really frustrating.

Yesterday I fought some invader on PC and my attacks did 1-2 damage (SL35) to the enemy (I mean that the enemy got stunlocked and no damage was just delivered). Not sure if hacking or normal. I have experienced the same on PS3 too, but not for like 19 hits in a row.

SteveWD40

So I picked this up on sale for PC, few more questions:

When I die I am returned to the bonfire, I presume there are no other penalties (I am currently in hollow form)? what happens if I am human?

Can you sheath your weapons rather than just swap them out, sure I saw that on a few vids, just aesthetic really.

Where the fuck should I be going? I am in Undeadberg iirc, early on, just wandering about, seems the master key is letting me head to a boss at the top and bottom of a tower?

I love how oldschool it is, no hand holding, sadly that means I have to ask you guys ;)

When I die I am returned to the bonfire, I presume there are no other penalties (I am currently in hollow form)? what happens if I am human?

Can you sheath your weapons rather than just swap them out, sure I saw that on a few vids, just aesthetic really.

Where the fuck should I be going? I am in Undeadberg iirc, early on, just wandering about, seems the master key is letting me head to a boss at the top and bottom of a tower?

I love how oldschool it is, no hand holding, sadly that means I have to ask you guys ;)

1. When you die, you'll lose your souls and loose humanity (the counter on the top left corner). You can retrieve them by going back to the place you died at. If you die in human form, you will also lose your human form too.

2. You can't :/

3. You are in the right direction, keep going

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
So I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with my 360. DkS is the only thing I've tried to play for months.

It has trouble reading discs (offline). I have to do all kinds of superstitious shit to get it to read a disc, meanwhile I'm burning the drive out ejecting and inserting (lol).

But then, I recently reconnected to XBL after being off for 4+ months, and my 360 reads DkS on boot every single time. Haven't tested it with other games-- it would be time consuming.

But there's a noticeable difference in the reliability of it recognizing the disc now that I'm connected to XBL again.

Please tell me there's a reasonable explanation for this.

Sullichin

So I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with my 360. DkS is the only thing I've tried to play for months.

It has trouble reading discs (offline). I have to do all kinds of superstitious shit to get it to read a disc, meanwhile I'm burning the drive out ejecting and inserting (lol).

But then, I recently reconnected to XBL after being off for 4+ months, and my 360 reads DkS on boot every single time. Haven't tested it with other games-- it would be time consuming.

But there's a noticeable difference in the reliability of it recognizing the disc now that I'm connected to XBL again.

Please tell me there's a reasonable explanation for this.

Were you offline before, or just didn't have gold? If you were offline completely for a while, maybe you downloaded a new update that fixed some problem. Or your 360 is dying. I've been through like six of them.

Like PetriP-TNT said there's not a proper weapon sheathing animation, but certain weapons like the claymore have a scabbard that appears on your character.

When you are in human form you can be invaded and summon other players to your world for co-op and pvp. You also need to be in human form, and have at least 1 humanity in the count on the top left, to kindle a bonfire. Kindling allows you to have 10 estus flasks instead of 5 each time you spawn at the bonfire you've kindled. To enter human form you have to have at least one in your counter, and then 'reverse hollowing' at a bonfire. So, if you are hollow you need 2 humanity to kindle a bonfire, one to turn human and one for the kindle.

Khronico

I seriously get boss anxiety when I play this game. Even running through the Taurus Demon again, after knowing exactly how to beat him, I still get sweaty hands and nervousness.

Ruuppa

I seriously get boss anxiety when I play this game. Even running through the Taurus Demon again, after knowing exactly how to beat him, I still get sweaty hands and nervousness.

I get that on some bosses, but mostly the anxiety I get is from the Human-form run to the boss. It's not like I get invaded a lot like that, but the chance is there.

It's amazing that after 200+ hours, the game still manages that.

Grinchy

Banned
I totally get that anxiety when I get invaded. I always just assume it's some asshole who has figured out a way to cheese the PvP so I have no chance.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
finally doing a sl1 play threw like a boss. the urge to upgrade my stats is strong though. I have to constantly tell myself not to do it.

Arkos

Were you offline before, or just didn't have gold? If you were offline completely for a while, maybe you downloaded a new update that fixed some problem. Or your 360 is dying. I've been through like six of them.

Oh my 360 is dying, I've had to open it up and clean the disc tray before, it's just that there's a pronounced difference between how it recognizes discs when it's online compared to when it's off

I've been online for years, started DkS online, but went the last ~4 months without it. And now that I'm back online, I'll still occasionally accidentally boot the 360 without connecting the Internet first, and when that happens it doesn't recognize the disc.

Maybe it's a 360 problem instead of a DkS problem, so I'll look for one of those threads, but still--- bullshit.

Sullichin

Always wondered, do occult weapons permanently kill skeletons like divine?

Nope. They do extra damage against certain enemies - Silver & Black Knights, Gwyn, maybe others. But even with high faith you're probably better off with divine over occult. Divine will have the higher AR

Ultryx

Of the required bosses, I only have
The Four Kings and Gwyn left
. Right now I'm rocking the Silver Knight Set +4 I think. I'm using the Grass Crest Shield, though sometimes I switch to the Black Iron One. What shield should I be using and should I upgrade my shield?

The weapon I'm using is something an invader gave me when I first started at Anor Londo - it's a Bastard Sword +10. Should I get that weapon to +15 or is there a better weapon I could invest in before I start NG+?

Arkos

Of the required bosses, I only have
The Four Kings and Gwyn left
. Right now I'm rocking the Silver Knight Set +4 I think. I'm using the Grass Crest Shield, though sometimes I switch to the Black Iron One. What shield should I be using and should I upgrade my shield?

The weapon I'm using is something an invader gave me when I first started at Anor Londo - it's a Bastard Sword +10. Should I get that weapon to +15 or is there a better weapon I could invest in before I start NG+?

Can't speak to your weapon question, but I've actually been using a Silver Knight shield for my melee character, and it's been working well (+4 I think). I don't think I have a 100% phys shield with better stability (?) that's light enough for me

Here's a funny note. I'm playing on 360 and my guy is <50% weight, so I run a lot. So, in order to be able to sprint and fully control the camera at the same time, I use this finger configuration all the time, even (or especially) in boss battles:

Anybody else do this?

And is it easier to sprint while controlling the camera with a m/kb?

:p

Ultryx

Can't speak to your weapon question, but I've actually been using a Silver Knight shield for my melee character, and it's been working well (+4 I think). I don't think I have a 100% phys shield with better stability (?) that's light enough for me

Here's a funny note. I'm playing on 360 and my guy is <50% weight, so I run a lot. So, in order to be able to sprint and fully control the camera at the same time, I use this finger configuration all the time, even (or especially) in boss battles:

Anybody else do this?

The KB/M combo on PC is notoriously bad. It's absolutely awful. I never thought once to play with anything besides a gamepad. I sprint all the time too and I'll do a similar thing with my controller haha.

Seance

Banned

Anybody else do this?

You use your knuckle? lol

I claw grip

Arkos

The KB/M combo on PC is notoriously bad. It's absolutely awful. I never thought once to play with anything besides a gamepad. I sprint all the time too and I'll do a similar thing with my controller haha.

You use your knuckle? lol

I claw grip

Sweet it's not just me!

I want to see this claw grip now lol. Yes I use my knuckle

I have the same while playing the PC version for the first time... I have gotten used to the bosses but in HD they are just terrifying, even the easy ones as Quelaag and Gaping Dragon. Even some enemies terrify me like the frogs and (normally scary) Mimic

Killed Four Kings with my STR build and Demon Great Machete. That was a scary experience as they're fast as fuck against my slow swinding bad boy!

Silver Knight helmet, and you couldn't be any more wrong.

As beautiful as your GIFs are, Alo81, I tend to agree with him! It's the slenderness that makes it look a bit weird.

Anyway, I'm sure we can all agree that nothing beats the EK helm for the EK armour, but as far as other helms go, I'm a big fan of the Golem's helm and even the Mask of the Child for EK garb. The former makes you look like an emotionless killing machine and the latter, an absolute pathological sadist.

Finally finished the game for my first time earlier today. The final boss was a breeze once I figured out his attack patterns and buffed my fire resistance. Time to start NG+.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I get that on some bosses, but mostly the anxiety I get is from the Human-form run to the boss. It's not like I get invaded a lot like that, but the chance is there.

It's amazing that after 200+ hours, the game still manages that.

Absolutely. There's just something about that "fwwaaahhhnn" noise when someone invades - hearing it in the distance before you see the message pop up. At an early stage the game conditions the player to fear it, and even after 200 hours it still gives me the heebie jeebies.

Sometimes I forget I've activated a summon sign, and when a buddy comes into my world that same sound gives me a fright. So rubbish.

Edit: +1 for claw grip right here. MonHan buried that shit in me deep.

Usually with invaders I just do "sigh, better run to the bonfire" instead of trying to fight as it seems that, at least with lower levels, every invader is looking for a non-legit fight these days.

Ruuppa

Usually with invaders I just do "sigh, better run to the bonfire" instead of trying to fight as it seems that, at least with lower levels, every invader is looking for a non-legit fight these days.

This. And it's horrible for everyone.

When you're just looking for a fun invasion, poking around and such, a cheesing host is much more enjoyable than the "Host has disconnected" -message. But it's a measured, and often smart, response in the face of all the non-legit assholes going around spreading misery.

Ruuppa

I remember my very first invader. The moment that message plastered on my screen I started sweating bullets and made a beeline for the closest bonfire. Surprise! Turned back to the invader, who was standing still some way away. I had no idea what to do, and then he bowed. I rushed him, and barely managed to beat him.

Nowadays I always bow, or wave, depending on how the opponent is moving. Them using humanities doesn't faze me much, I count it as a victory, the end result not-withstanding. Never use Estus/Humanity in a PVP-match either, unless the invader starts popping them off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom