• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was looking for a bit of advice with my current playthrough, Ive fucked up my build, I've put 40 points in strength as I wanted to use a fully upgraded Great Machete, however once getting there I realised it's not actually as powerful as my Lightning Zweihander, so I've wasted a fair few levels. I don't really want to start over, so what good stuff can I do now I have my 40 strength? Any amazing weapons or shields I should be looking at for my build?

Sullichin

Was looking for a bit of advice with my current playthrough, Ive fucked up my build, I've put 40 points in strength as I wanted to use a fully upgraded Great Machete, however once getting there I realised it's not actually as powerful as my Lightning Zweihander, so I've wasted a fair few levels. I don't really want to start over, so what good stuff can I do now I have my 40 strength? Any amazing weapons or shields I should be looking at for my build?

You're fine, a +15 Demon Great Machete with 40 str is definitely better than a lightning zweihander.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I remember the times when every invader started with bowling down and didn't use humanities all the time. Sigh

I respect my fellow Darkers and all, but implying that invaders shouldn't use humanities is kind of silly imo. The hosts can use Estus (and there's a way to counter that) so it's fair. Plus if they use a humanity they're left wide open and you should be on them for a backstab to continue your advantage.

Etiquette and rules are fine when you're doing duels and fight clubs and stuff, but invasions? That's hardly in the spirit of the games, really.

Booshka

I'd prefer if invaders didn't heal at all. I don't mind if Host heals if he is actually trying to make it the boss. I like to think of myself as miniboss in the level that the host has to deal with to try and get to the area boss. I will run, hide, ambush, and do whatever I can to try and win, but I think healing with humanity cheapens it.

I like to think of the invader's job is to exhaust the host of as many resources as possible to make going through the level and fighting the boss as hard as possible. Killing him is always the best thing to do, but healing constantly cheapens the whole experience and stifles invader creativity. If a host and his phantoms use a bunch of spells and heal a ton then they are ill equipped to tackle the boss and in a sense, I did my job.

It's also much more fun to play with this mindset, having a war of attrition healing nonstop and getting frustrated because you don't get a kill every invasion is dumb and not the point.

I'd prefer if invaders didn't heal at all. I don't mind if Host heals if he is actually trying to make it the boss. I like to think of myself as miniboss in the level that the host has to deal with to try and get to the area boss. I will run, hide, ambush, and do whatever I can to try and win, but I think healing with humanity cheapens it.

I like to think of the invader's job is to exhaust the host of as many resources as possible to make going through the level and fighting the boss as hard as possible. Killing him is always the best thing to do, but healing constantly cheapens the whole experience and stifles invader creativity. If a host and his phantoms use a bunch of spells and heal a ton then they are ill equipped to tackle the boss and in a sense, I did my job.

It's also much more fun to play with this mindset, having a war of attrition healing nonstop and getting frustrated because you don't get a kill every invasion is dumb and not the point.

I agree with this 100%. Word for word.

Arjen

The way i deal with invasions.
If i'm inavding,
I don't heal, you don't lose anything on death, so dying isn't a big deal.
When i'm invaded
If i'm near a bonfire and don't really care about dying, no healing, just a fair duel.
If the invader comes at a bad time, like me going for a boss, he's going down, one way or another.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member

This is perfectly cool. I like your idea of being the "miniboss" and I respect that you choose not to heal while torturing your host. But if you find an opening to heal then you've succeeded in prolonging their suffering and making them spend more resources. Isn't that a good thing?

Even regular and some special humanoid enemies can heal (and they usually pay for it). I agree that if anyone (including host) is constantly healing (or abusing any technique for that matter) then the experience can feel cheapened, but surely you agree that many people have their own mantras and ways of playing the game, just like you do yours. It's a blessing the Souls games don't have any traditional means of communication because you're always gonna piss off someone no matter how you play.

I think Arjen has a pretty fair justice system, but a) it's difficult to read another person's mind while playing, and b) there's no need to project your rules onto others.

Anyway, I just re-read PetriP's quote and...
PetriP-TNT said:
I remember the times when every invader started with bowling down and didn't use humanities all the time. Sigh
Haha! Those were the days.

Arjen

I think Arjen has a pretty fair justice system, but a) it's difficult to read another person's mind while playing, and b) there's no need to project your rules onto others.

That's true, and i don't expect people to follow my rules though.

Soulhouf

Wow, just, wow. Encountered my first hacker today on PC. He ruined my stats and locked me in the air in New Londo.

Is there a way to block these players like on PS3?
When I see the Book of Guilty on PC, it's more like the Hack of Fame.
I didn't run to any of them yet but I would like to block all these assholes.

Seance

Banned
Ugh new DS2 info is getting on my nerves. Why is it necessary to have extra healing items? So you can stock up on them ala Demon Souls? Because that was so great...

The art style and animation looks regressed too. Game looks more like a DeS2 than DkS2 :l

Booshka

Is there a way to block these players like on PS3?
When I see the Book of Guilty on PC, it's more like the Hack of Fame.
I didn't run to any of them yet but I would like to block all these assholes.

If you plan on PvPing at all on PC make sure you have save backups. There really isn't any way to block players, you just weight your chances of not seeing them in the future. The nefarious hackers can break your stats and ruin your character though, so have save backups to revert back.

Sullichin

If you plan on PvPing at all on PC make sure you have save backups. There really isn't any way to block players, you just weight your chances of not seeing them in the future. The nefarious hackers can break your stats and ruin your character though, so have save backups to revert back.

If you wanna get crazy, you could use comodo firewall, keep it running while you play, and block any of the IP addresses of hackers.

Agreed with healing etiquitte as an invader. The only time I use humanity as an invader really is when I take a bunch of fall/enviromental damage on purpose to get to the host faster.

Soulhouf

I'm playing it for fun. Basically to experience a "different" version of the game with better graphics and frame rate.
But I like to stay human and do some invasions from time to time.

Yes I enabled the save backup just in case but I hope I won't run into these players.

If you wanna get crazy, you could use comodo firewall, keep it running while you play, and block any of the IP addresses of hackers.

But you need to run into these hackers first before being able to block them right?

I'm playing it for fun. Basically to experience a "different" version of the game with better graphics and frame rate.

Yes I enabled the save backup just in case but I hope I won't run into these players.
The backups are enough. I wish I had done it before last night, but now I know better.

I was in township pvping again today and he was the first person I ran into again. Same trick, lost my stats and sent to a void in New Londo. Replaced my saves and went back to it. I do have Comodo going with a list of the IPs so when I get around to it I'll definitely be blocking him.

Sullichin

But you need to run into these hackers first before being able to block them right?
Yeah you'd need to run into them first. I only came across one hacker with the intent to ruin my game in ~600 hours of the PC version. Most of the hackers you find just have infinite health and stuff like that. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Dresden

That mirror knight boss sounds . . . decent.

On the other side of the bonfire a long dark hall awaits. In the southern alcove several candles are lit, and according to Tanimura each of these candles represents a death. Whenever any player online dies at the hands of the boss in this area, a new candle will be lit, and you will see it.

That boss is the Mirror Knight: the mongrel no journalist has managed to defeat. He's a tall knight with a sweeping heavy sword attack and a lightning projectile. He also wields a mirror which, in the final build, will be an invasion entry point for other human players. This means you'll be dealing with not only a boss but also an invader, which is hilariously sadistic.

AutumnAve

Yeah you'd need to run into them first. I only came across one hacker with the intent to ruin my game in ~600 hours of the PC version. Most of the hackers you find just have infinite health and stuff like that. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Whaaa....infinite health? what a bunch of assholes.

squidyj

I hacked myself up to infinite health just by directly modifying process memory and was like "is it seriously this easy?" and went to see if it would let me invade. so I invaded naked, demonstrated my awesome infinite health, waved, and jumped off a ledge because I didn't want to be a dick.

I mostly mess around to test stuff like damage output at various stat configuration though.

A lot of split damage weapons might show higher AR ratings on your character sheet but will likely wind up doing less damage overall. It's two separate defences against two separate low damage attacks, it's not great.

Ruuppa

The only way to kill a hacker with infinite HP is if they fall off from a really high place. Managing that would be awesome.

Booshka

The only way to kill a hacker with infinite HP is if they fall off from a really high place. Managing that would be awesome.

You can do blood loss too, it takes some time and effort, but it is possible.

I just black crystal out if I am the invader, I don't want to give them the time of day or any satisfaction. I think if most people just left there would be less hackers, they would get bored and leave the game or god forbid play legit.

Ruuppa

You can do blood loss too, it takes some time and effort, but it is possible.

I just black crystal out if I am the invader, I don't want to give them the time of day or any satisfaction. I think if most people just left there would be less hackers, they would get bored and leave the game or god forbid play legit.

Probably. An in-game blocklist would be useful for this, at least on the invader side, so you'd never invade the same player again. Blocking invaders would be trickier, since if you could just block all invaders, you could go Human all the time and just co-op. Some might like that, though.
I have played the game like 300 hours and I still don't know how to pull the kick move on purpose

Seriously. Over half the time I try to kick, I swing and get murdered. Somehow the jump-attack seems much easier to pull off, but that might just be me.

Seriously. Over half the time I try to kick, I swing and get murdered. Somehow the jump-attack seems much easier to pull off, but that might just be me.

Yeah, the timing is weird. I'm better at it now, but still wiff it probably 25% of the time.

Are you using a 360 controller? I've found the key is that you need to start pressing up on the control stick just a tiny bit before you hit RB. I think jumping attacks are easier because the triggers take about the same amount of time to activate as it takes the control stick to get into the right position. So you can essentially press both at the same time. With kicking, you need to either press up on the control stick faster, or do it slightly before.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
t0cHV9E.jpg

hooooolyyyy shiiiitt

Booshka

If he dies, where does he respawn? Firelink? Or Undead Asylum? o_O

Firelink, I watched LobosJr on Twitch do a no bonfire, no heal run live. He was running back and forth from Firelink to S&O for like 3 hours straight. I think he beat them, just not sure how far he got after that.

Also, achievements do glitch, I had the same thing happen with my Reach Lordran achievement, think I got it after the Lordvessel lol.

Nose Master

Is there a piece if gear that increases soul drops? I'm getting 2x the souls of my roommate, and I have no idea what is causing it. I know overkill increases the count a bit, but not that much. Do they scale according to your SL, or is it a hidden benefit on a certain piece of gear?

Booshka

Is there a piece if gear that increases soul drops? I'm getting 2x the souls of my roommate, and I have no idea what is causing it. I know overkill increases the count a bit, but not that much. Do they scale according to your SL, or is it a hidden benefit on a certain piece of gear?

There is a ring and a headpiece that increases soul payout when worn. Also, the higher the playthrough the more souls you get, up to NG+7

The stupid final boss is way overpowered. He kills my stamina with 2 hits and boom, slashes my health in half.

I have a decent fire-resistant equipment, any tips? Should I level up my stamina? upgrade my armor?

Booshka

The stupid final boss is way overpowered. He kills my stamina with 2 hits and boom, slashes my health in half.

I have a decent fire-resistant equipment, any tips? Should I level up my stamina? upgrade my armor?

The enemies on the way to the boss have a chance to drop their shield, which has excellent fire resistance, good stability and the ability to parry. Upgrade the shield a little bit for more stability, use whatever weapon you have that deals the most damage, and try to parry him.

Easiest way to parry him is to block the first attack of his combo, then parry the next. Be careful of his grabs and learn his moveset and you will do alright.

And yes, you should level your Endurance and Vitality if you can, especially Endurance, makes things much more manageable. Try to shoot for 40 Endurance if you can. 30-40 Vitality is good, 45-50 is best, but not necessary.

Hobobloke

What's a typical quality build normally look like?

Went back to my first character and not quite sure what to do with my stats, this is the distribution so far.

SL: 105

VIT: 43
ATT: 16
END: 40
STR: 24
DEX: 30
RES: 13
INT: 14
FAI: 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom