• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dyno

I beat Artorias without much issue. He is not as strong as his own shield it seems.

At the bonfire just after Artorias I summon two dudes and they were the best! We took the long way round, getting every hidden treasure and then got to Manus. It was an epic fight and we barely won with no estus left!

Those guys were with me for nearly an hour! At the fog gate to Manus I rewarded the magey one a Blue Slab and a the other two spare Demon Titanite. They seemed very pleased.

I love that you never know what can happen in this game. Being human is risky but some times the rewards are fantastic!

Insaniac

After not having played this game since Borderlands 2 came out I've jumped back in over the last week. I've made my way up from Blightown after ringing the second bell, survived Sen's fortress (wasn't too bad outside a couple of deaths due to the swinging blades), beat the Iron Golem on my first go and finally made it to Annor Londo.

Just now I managed to get past the infamous Silver Knight arrow gauntlet on my first go and made it to the bonfire where Solaire resides.

Any major tips from here onwards? I'm a SL59 Pyromancer with the Elite Knight armour set upgraded to+7/8 except I've swapped the headpiece for a Gargoyle helm. I'm using a +5 magic claymore + shield and using spells here and there. Any other weapons, armour I should upgrade to help me in the next section to compliment what I've got?

Cheers.

speaking of BL2 there's a Dark Souls 'easter egg' in the new DLC lol

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Better to start the DLC prior to the end game or wait till after?
Prior. You can access it as soon as you have the Lordvessel, but if this is your first playthrough, I'd recommend going at it before you finish filling up the Lordvessel but before entering the end-game area, as the bosses in the DLC are much harder than those in the normal game.

Prior. You can access it as soon as you have the Lordvessel, but if this is your first playthrough, I'd recommend going at it before you finish filling up the Lordvessel but before entering the end-game area, as the bosses in the DLC are much harder than those in the normal game.

Yup, wait. Not only are the bosses harder but some enemies are really strong too.

Defyler

I think I'll give it a go prior to the endgame then. I'm a ways over-leveled from pvp and helping people with boss areas (90 on ng currently) so some new challenges sound good.

I also want to access it to fill in the storyline / lore.

Booshka

I think I'll give it a go prior to the endgame then. I'm a ways over-leveled from pvp and helping people with boss areas (90 on ng currently) so some new challenges sound good.

Most dedicated PvP builds are level 100-125, so you aren't overleveled at all. You are a bit out of the co op range, but because there are so many PvP characters around the higher SL's you end up doing co op with people on NG+ and beyond.

I'd say about SL60 for the DLC so go for it.

Soulhouf

Sounds interesting in both good and bad ways. But it definitely will change up tactics in a lot of situations. I wonder if parrying is the same?

I hope not. Parrying doesn't need any nerf.
It's the backstab which is very cheap and that's why they need to do something about it.

krakov

I hope not. Parrying doesn't need any nerf.
It's the backstab which is very cheap and that's why they need to do something about it.

So many duels these days are poking and fishing for parries. Any noob can setup parry with an hour of practice and there is a large window for partial parries. They would need to get it working without the huge delay to make it interesting. Now it's basically memorization and prediction with almost no reaction time required.

Soulhouf

So many duels these days are poking and fishing for parries. Any noob can setup parry with an hour of practice and there is a large window for partial parries. They would need to get it working without the huge delay to make it interesting. Now it's basically memorization and prediction with almost no reaction time required.

Even so, when you miss you get punished. It's still risk and reward, which is not the case of backstabs.

Ruuppa

At least with parries there is a certain amount of skill involved. Backstabs, not so much. And if you miss a parry, you'll get punished to hell and back, unlike with a BS.

krakov

Even so, when you miss you get punished. It's still risk and reward, which is not the case of backstabs.

As I said, unless youre really really off you still get a partial parry which is oftentimes better than even blocking is. If you are fishing for backstabs you run a high risk of getting a counter-bs. Both parries and backstabs detract from PvP imho. Significantly lowering the damage on critical attacks would do wonders, the advantage you get in positioning is enough.

Tomb Of Giants is such an awful area my god. I can't see anything. Those undead skeleton... dog/ape thingies are stupidly powerful when I run out of fire orbs to kill them with.

Tomb Of Giants is such an awful area my god. I can't see anything. Those undead skeleton... dog/ape thingies are stupidly powerful when I run out of fire orbs to kill them with.
Use one of three ways to light up the area.
Skull lantern, Light spell, Sunlight maggot helmet
Or go hardcore and use prism stones!

Once you know area, you'll find everything can be run past without aggro-ing hardly any of the dogs and you're long gone before they even notice. They can be taken out with one fireball each if you've upgraded your glove and there are less dogs than you have fireballs inbetween bonfires.

Use one of three ways to light up the area.
Skull lantern, Light spell, Sunlight maggot helmet
Or go hardcore and use prism stones!

Once you know area, you'll find everything can be run past without aggro-ing hardly any of the dogs and you're long gone before they even notice. They can be taken out with one fireball each if you've upgraded your glove and there are less dogs than you have fireballs inbetween bonfires.

Glove is like +10 and it takes two fire orbs to down them.

And yeah I'm using the first of those three ways, but then I discover a huge enemy and have to switch to my shield and then fight in the dark. :(

Sullichin

Glove is like +10 and it takes two fire orbs to down them.

And yeah I'm using the first of those three ways, but then I discover a huge enemy and have to switch to my shield and then fight in the dark. :(

A decent rule of thumb after getting to the first bonfire is to
hug the right side
. Go slowly still, of course, as that won't always save you. You can actually skirt past those skeleton dogs. +10 pyro glove isn't that strong, it goes to +15 and then ascended +5, and can be further strengthened with crown of dusk and/or the bellowing dragoncrest ring. Not to say that those skeleton dogs aren't some of the toughest enemies in the game.

The skull lantern will also make guiding blue lights appear on walls. These blue lights show up for everyone if anyone in the game has the skull lantern equipped - for example when I invade in ToTG, and I see the blue lights, I know the host is using the lantern :)

Sullichin

I did notice that, but...

What the... are you serious? o_O

Yeah - shamelessly linking to my own video here - but it shows it in the beginning.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfnmrlaeoYQ

before someone says i'm an asshole for backstabbing him, I know. But he also shouldn't be standing still and giving away his position so obviously with that summon, I couldn't help myself :)
Up to like 25 indictments on that character.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeah - shamelessly linking to my own video here - but it shows it in the beginning.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfnmrlaeoYQ

before someone says i'm an asshole for backstabbing him, I know. But he also shouldn't be standing still and giving away his position so obviously with that summon, I couldn't help myself :)
Up to like 25 indictments on that character.

Thanks for the video. I planned on just watching the blue sphere thing but ended up watching the whole thing cause it's actually fun to watch. Mid-level (SL 60-90 ish) PvE invasions are the most fun forms of PvP in that game, IMO, I had a blast doing that and didn't care for the organized PvP at all (total opposite of Demon's Souls). You are a solid player, and play pretty fair for a Darkwraith, so good for you. Gave you a like. :)

patchday

Game is very amazing and a decent improvement over Deomons' Souls except in one area: PvP

In Dark souls you can get lag stabbed, double stabbed back-to-back, and additionally, when you invade someone the victim can be like SL 711 while you're something like SL 41 (my lowbie darkwraith).

Pretty frustrating they made so many puzzling decisions. I suppose they didnt want for the high level dudes to get lonely obviously. But its not very interesting PVP from both sides. Just one more reason I hate levels in my pvp games.

Great game tho. PvP deeply flawed tho

Alright guys I need some help. I beat this game with I think a soldier class. I have started over as 3 different classes now tho, one deprived, one Thief, and one Pyromancer. But I have no idea how i'm suppose to build these characters. I have the first part of the game down easy (can basically do it first try up until that stupid Carpa demon eff him...) but I hate blight town so haven't ventured back down there yet with any of my characters. My question is what weapons should I focus on upgrading, what skills..basically how do i build these characters. Also eff you guys who invade me when I am like SL 20 and you are in the 100+ so freaking lame.

For the thief I wanted to focus on crit type damage so thus far I have held onto the original dagger, but is there a better option? I have upgraded it to +5, Open to suggestions of weapons of any type with the pyromancer/deprived. Also can someone please explain magic/miracles and the difference between the 2. I Love this game, and I actually have the strategy guide but man it might as well be worthless. I would like to 100% this game (meaning achievements playing on xbox360) but mostly I just want to see the DLC lol

Arjen

A level 100 can't invade a 20. They just have upgraded gear at low level, and that's what makes them strong/ annoying.

hey guys,

I cannot seem to beat bed of chaos in lost izalith.

I've beaten the two side branches but I cannot for the life of me manage to get on the platform in the middle to get to the heart.

Every fucking time, the boss gets me with his sweeping hands attack and kills me.

It doesn't help that the bonefire is so far away...

any tips?

Sullichin

Thanks for the video. I planned on just watching the blue sphere thing but ended up watching the whole thing cause it's actually fun to watch. Mid-level (SL 60-90 ish) PvE invasions are the most fun forms of PvP in that game, IMO, I had a blast doing that and didn't care for the organized PvP at all (total opposite of Demon's Souls). You are a solid player, and play pretty fair for a Darkwraith, so good for you. Gave you a like. :)
Thanks! That's definitely my meanest character. I agree, that level of PVP is my favorite as well. You can invade in so many places at SL70 consistently, even on the PC version. SL100-120 characters are fun too, but after a while I get bored of waiting in the burg / township to fight another dex/int minmaxer. At SL70 you fight a bigger variety of builds in more locations, and it's fun to act as a sort of mini boss for the host/phantoms. I also like Level 40ish builds for invading in Sens and Anor Londo, but I think 70 is the sweet spot to be able to invade in the most places. I could invade Sen's all day though. 70 is also my preferred level for fight clubs.

hey guys,

I've beaten the two side branches but I cannot for the life of me manage to get on the platform in the middle to get to the heart.

Every fucking time, the boss gets me with his sweeping hands attack and kills me.

any tips?

When it does the sweeping attack, block it, and ALWAYS expect another one. Don't try to keep rolling/running forward after blocking one, because it will follow up with a second. Inch forward while blocking, block the second attack, and if you're not close enough to roll onto the branch at this point, you can keep blocking and wait for another to be sure. There's a little part of the ground that juts out slightly more than the others that is right above the branch you want to land on. To avoid frustration it's best to drop down from that little ledge.

Defyler

hey guys,

any tips?

It does a left sweep and then a right sweep every time. Try hanging out in the middle area and just as the right sweep finishes follow it into the middle to drop down on the tree trunk and run up to the center heart.

Being able to fast roll for the increased speed is helpful too.

patchday

A level 100 can't invade a 20. They just have upgraded gear at low level, and that's what makes them strong/ annoying.

True, but a SL 20 can invade an SL 100 :(

I 'rerolled' so I could enjoy some fun, low level pvp. Guess I need to be more clever in the areas I choose to invade. The forest is an obvious trap most of the time. Just need to stick to the other areas. Did enjoy some decent balanced pvp in the other areas

Got a fully upgraded pyromancy glove (well +15 atm). So that helps even the odds a bit better. Need to finish upgrading all my gear

Too bad my main character (SL 156) is so high up. She sees a lot less action than my lowbie SL 41 alt

patchday

Same here I tried Darkmoon blades on my high level character.
Did have a handful of interesting forays into Dark Anor Londo but nothing else beyond that. Never encountered a single darkwraith. Just people that intentionally sinned by flipping Anor Londo

Soulhouf

You're right, didn't think about that. I tried the darkmoon blades, but I didn't get a lot of action.
Same here I tried Darkmoon blades on my high level character.
Did have a handful of interesting forays into Dark Anor Londo but nothing else beyond that. Never encountered a single darkwraith. Just people that intentionally sinned by flipping Anor Londo

Try using the eye instead of the ring. It works everywhere and you'll have much more action.

Sullichin

I've never actually made a Darkmoon character. I've tried it out, sure, but the one time I made a DMB character I still stocked up on cracked red eyed orbs beforehand and invaded that way. Have never done PVP much above SL120 either. Maybe I'll make a really high level Darkmoon...

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
I did it!! I finally beat it. Praise the sun.

I got impatient and summoned a guy to fight Gwyn lol, totally destroyed him, but not before I got like 30+ titanite chunks on solo attempts.

Question: I want to play it again to mess around. If I do NG+ then am I pretty much stuck with my current build?

Soulhouf

Woah, you're not invincible while backstabbing anymore?
probably a great idea, but that would make 1v2 fights harder

Nice to see a video about the E3 demo from someone who actually plays a lot of Dark Souls. Glad to hear that the torch doesn't block 100% like it seemed in that one video.

Didn't you read the E3 demo feed backs? All of them mentioned that the invincibility frame when you backstab is gone.
It also seems that you can prevent being backstabbed in some way.
That's good knowing how backstabs where cheap and messed up in Dark Souls.

eiskaltnz

Guys, I am depressed. Doing my first play through and trying to stay away from wikis and the general Internet for things other than general character and weapon build stuff.

I have already screwd myself out of pyromancy but tonight I just found the sun dude, who helped me with a bunch of boss fights, had been infested by something and has gone crazy... Poor guy...

Just finished it for the first time fully blind. (yay me!)
I had no clue how to level my knight, and just equipped whatever seemed powerful.
Pretty sure I wore what most first timers used. :/
(full Havel armor/shield and black knight weapon)

Excellent game, except for the finale which was really, REALLY disappointing.
Behind that huge
Lordveseel
door, I was expecting a final area with a shitton of dragons, 3-headed armored knights, cyclops throwing molten rocks at you, titans trying to run you over, etc etc etc.

Nope! Just a corridor with old enemies you've fought before and a simple final boss with no transformation phase whatsoever. Felt like the devs had to rush this last part of the game out.

Anyway, I'm 2 years lltp to start bashing this, so whatever.
Still had fun, and now going to start a sorcerer or pyro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom