• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
19 Vitality, FAP ring, and two pieces of +3 Elite Knight armor, and I can finally take at least two hits from most enemies in NG+7.

Trying to kill Capra now. =( I just want that darn Large Ember so I can +10 my weapon.

Using the Uchigatana, because bleed is REALLY useful in NG+7 fresh start. I do so little damage normally, but as long as I can hold on long enough I can get them to bleed which helps out immensely.

Sullichin

So I just started this game on the PC with a game pad.

...Is the camera supposed to be this terrible? Im stuck on the first dude because I cant roll out of his way because I cant even see him because its zoomed so far on my character lol

if you're all up in his face, it's probably best to not lock on, as the camera can make things difficult. Also, turn off "auto wall recovery" in the settings.

19 Vitality, FAP ring, and two pieces of +3 Elite Knight armor, and I can finally take at least two hits from most enemies in NG+7.

Trying to kill Capra now. =( I just want that darn Large Ember so I can +10 my weapon.

Using the Uchigatana, because bleed is REALLY useful in NG+7 fresh start. I do so little damage normally, but as long as I can hold on long enough I can get them to bleed which helps out immensely.

Lol, pumping INT into my NG+7 guy has been useless. Won't make a difference until I have a ton of int/dusk crown/bellowing dragoncrest. The bleed from reinforced club is really helpful though.

rando14

Whew this game is hard

I'm a few hours in at the
Undead parish where I just beat this fucking boar

I keep dying left and right lol. 10 steps forward, 9 steps back.

Lol, pumping INT into my NG+7 guy has been useless. Won't make a difference until I have a ton of int/dusk crown/bellowing dragoncrest. The bleed from reinforced club is really helpful though.

Yeah, I've had the same problem with leveling up stats just not making a difference yet. If I could just get that danged large ember, I think that would help a lot...not having fun with Capra, though. The typical Capra strategy or roll right, run up the stairs, then kill the dogs on the stairs is made so much harder by the fact that it takes something like seven hits to kill the dogs currently. If I could kill them, Capra is easy enough (even if it will take forever to wittle down his health).

I think I might give up on NG+7 for now...started a new character for fun, and the difference in difficulty is mind blowing. Haha. I can actually survive 4 or 5 hits from most enemies, and killing things doesn't take ten hours!

purg3

slept with Malkin
finally got the Artorias of the Abyss DLC for 360. I had a character right before Gwynn with everything opened up. Saved Dusk from the cyrstal golem, when I go to Dukes the Golem is there at the top of the steps but he doesn't drop the broken pendant. Killed him like 4 times, saved retried and he still wont drop it. Any ideas?

6for8

finally got the Artorias of the Abyss DLC for 360. I had a character right before Gwynn with everything opened up. Saved Dusk from the cyrstal golem, when I go to Dukes the Golem is there at the top of the steps but he doesn't drop the broken pendant. Killed him like 4 times, saved retried and he still wont drop it. Any ideas?

The golem is included with a patch and the pendant drops when you buy the DLC. Did you try to reinstall the DLC? Had this happen to a friend but it was on ps3 so the 360 version might handle the DLC different.

Samyy

So I just got to Anor Londo for the first time
Wow I did not expect an area to look like this, amazing.
Gargoyles being regular enemies though? pls no!

patchday

Just like Demons' Souls this game is crazy addictive. Just uploaded my 1st pvp video with my SL52 darkwraith.

Invading can be tough sometimes since you might be outnumbered or face off against a higher level player. Had to learn to take extra care to avoid the backstabs in pvp. Need to work on parrying more in pvp next

Still need to hit the DLC dungeon. Might try it on my SL 157 character first. I have the feeling my SL 52 wraith would get drop kicked there

Booshka

Just like Demons' Souls this game is crazy addictive. Just uploaded my 1st pvp video with my SL52 darkwraith.

Invading can be tough sometimes since you might be outnumbered or face off against a higher level player. Had to learn to take extra care to avoid the backstabs in pvp. Need to work on parrying more in pvp next

Still need to hit the DLC dungeon. Might try it on my SL 157 character first. I have the feeling my SL 52 wraith would get drop kicked there

Seeing as how you have at least 28 STR on your SL 52, and I don't know about your Dex, make a +15 Man Serpent Greatsword and do the DLC with that. 2H it for best damage, and the 1 hand moveset is decent too. The DLC isn't too hard, you should be able to handle it with a well upgraded pure physical weapon. Elemental and magic in general gets the shaft hard in the DLC.

jns

A lot of people do the DLC at around 50-60 imo. I have a SL120 that sees no action there btw.

Seeing as how you have at least 28 STR on your SL 52, and I don't know about your Dex, make a +15 Man Serpent Greatsword and do the DLC with that. 2H it for best damage, and the 1 hand moveset is decent too. The DLC isn't too hard, you should be able to handle it with a well upgraded pure physical weapon. Elemental and magic in general gets the shaft hard in the DLC.

that worries me, does that mean my sorcerer is going to just get destroyed there?

Soulhouf

that worries me, does that mean my sorcerer is going to just get destroyed there?

Sorcery is always OP.
The problem is the int scaling weapons. They are completely useless in the DLC. Even the Moonlight Great Sword which is godlike in the rest of the game, becomes for some reason pretty ineffective in the DLC areas, especially against the 3 last bosses.

Ouch, you invaded someone while he was fighting the titanite demon in Londo. I would've been pissed it that would've happened to me, cause that guy is pretty tough by itself. OTOH, he did have a phantom with him, so I guess you were just rebalancing things :D

patchday

Thanks guys I'll give the DLC a try then on my SL 50 then :)

@OmegaDragon, ah that fight. What really happened was when I invaded his world he ran up and summoned Soltaire out of the blue which proceeded to open up a can on me. But yeah, to make it even I ran into the Titanite demon room. I only planned to heal up and kill the NPC. Then I was going to fight the host 1vs1. But since he was trying to kill me in that room I decided to go ahead and finish him off.

HeelPower

guys i have finished the game 2 times but I have never been able to maximise my damage output but this time I wanna make a dex or Str build that's efficient and deals high damage...Can someone recommend me a weapon to focus for both STR and Dex that has good scaling and is reasonably easy to upgrade so I can do good damage ? Also I prefer light weapons that swing fast..I hate heavy weapons.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Claymore is probably your best bet. Maybe the halberd or washing pole? Or if you want real devastating damage, make a dex/int hybrid and use Crystal Magic Weapon to buff your weapon.

patchday

All I know about is using Greatswords like Zwei and the default Greatsword. Both of those would be classified as heavy weapons

On my original playthrough I used the Uchi a lot. I'm pretty sure its not considered 'high damaging' though

I still need to branch out more myself and try halberds, etc. Still haven't tried those. So much to learn and do. The amount of content in this game can be overwhelming!

6for8

Can someone recommend me a weapon to focus for both STR and Dex that has good scaling and is reasonably easy to upgrade so I can do good damage ? Also I prefer light weapons that swing fast..I hate heavy weapons.

Can I interest you in a BlackKnightGreatAxe? Easy to upgrade, hits like a truck and quick for something so large. Two-handed its rubbish, you need 36 STR and 18 DEX to one-hand it.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Haven't had any real trouble yet on my NG+, I'd even call it a cakewalk. Only Duke's and Ruins/Izalith left. Yes, enemies hit harder and I can die in a couple of hits, but most of the time they can't even reach me :p If you know the layout of the game by heart, it suddenly becomes a lot easier as well. Capra Demon got me a few times, that's it.

On my way to get most of the trophies. I really want to platinum this game, but some trophies are a bit grindy, like getting every rare weapon. I feel like they went a bit overboard with these, most of them don't seem worth it. Quelaag's furysword is cool though.

If I decide to do one more run after this, it'll be with a new -melee focused- character. I want to swing some big swords around. Apparently the armored guy near Sen's has a storyline, need to do that as well. So much content in this game, and I haven't even touched the dlc yet.

Estus flask is giving me some nasty image retention on my plasma. No fucks given though. 65 hours and going strong.

solid mike

Haven't had any real trouble yet on my NG+, I'd even call it a cakewalk. Only Duke's and Ruins/Izalith left. Yes, enemies hit harder and I can die in a couple of hits, but most of the time they can't even reach me :p If you know the layout of the game by heart, it suddenly becomes a lot easier as well. Capra Demon got me a few times, that's it.

On my way to get most of the trophies. I really want to platinum this game, but some trophies are a bit grindy, like getting every rare weapon. I feel like they went a bit overboard with these, most of them don't seem worth it. Quelaag's furysword is cool though.

If I decide to do one more run after this, it'll be with a new -melee focused- character. I want to swing some big swords around. Apparently the armored guy near Sen's has a storyline, need to do that as well. So much content in this game, and I haven't even touched the dlc yet.

Estus flask is giving me some nasty image retention on my plasma. No fucks given though. 65 hours and going strong.

How long was your initial playthrough?

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Hey guys!

So I finished the game and started a new character instead of NG+ so I could try a different build. I'm looking for advice! (everything is for 99% PvE, if it works in PvP that's a bonus but I don't really care)

I want to use different weapons (used Claymore first time around). I'm kind of thinking of going with a dex weapon. Right now, I started with a dagger that does 130 critical, I wouldn't mind looking for another high critical weapon. Wondering how that critical stat work. Does it just add that number on top of damage? Does that number go up with upgrading?

I'd also like to use an elemental or special weapon instead of +15, any recommendations?

I'm also open to any unique or especially cool or funny weapons as long as they work pretty well, I'm not great at the game.

(I didnt really use any buffs first time around, I die a lot so it ends up being a waste of time to grind for buff powders and shit I feel like, so buff ability isn't necessarily important. For the same reason I don't like carrying humanity so I don't know about Queelags Furysword, although I could possibly be persuaded)

As for build, I don't want to go full melee, and I want to use a magic power. I didn't want miracles, and I feel like pyro is a first run build, so since I've done my first run I didn't wanna do that, so that leaves magic. Any advice on how to best use it?

I started as a sorcerer and have been putting stats into end vit and dex I think. Maybe one str just to try the Uchitanga? So I'm at like 15 in end vit dex and int. Any advice on my options for stats?

FINALLY, I want to actually use the covenant system. Which have the best unique abilities/weapons and which are the most fun? Forest covenant was fun but I just get beat up because I'm not good at PvP. Darkwraith sounds more fun for harassing or fucking with people. Are there and coop or friendly covenants?

Sweet! I'll go wiki all this stuff too and see what it suggests, I just trust you guys' knowledge

patchday

I used to belong to sunlight covenant on my 1st character but got bored fighting the same boss over and over I guess. Plus with all the souls I was getting I quickly outleveled (hit SL 157). Was having a blast before I got too greedy and pushed far beyond most people

Never could figure out which covenant I wanted to stick with til I became a Darkwraith. Now all my characters swear fealty to that covenant. And yes you'll probably get ran over for a bit when you first try to pvp. You'll gradually get better or you can just summon other folks to help ya gank wraiths and stuff.

For your weapon you might want to consider Moonlight Sword if you're going INT? I considered making a new character just to mess around with that weapon. Perhaps even use Greater Magic Weapon with other weapons. Especially if you're going all out on PvE

A great covenant that might be fun might be Princess covenant for the group heals. But that requires tons and tons of faith. That's how my original character got over-leveled. I wanted to get 50 faith to cast all the miracles out there

Soriku

Made it to the end of Anor Londo. Surprisingly not that bad, archer section aside. I managed to get the item on the left side where one of the archers off when he fell. After that point I just bolted to the archer on the right every time I tried. There's no need to go after the left archer after you get the item as his arrows won't touch you once you start fighting the right one.

The ceiling section with the white dudes was annoying too but I somehow managed through it. I was surrounded at one point and wasn't sure how I was going to make it but it worked out.

After that point I summoned like 2 dudes to make the dungeon crawl bearable. Made O&S easy though. I was doing like 90 damage to Ornstein so I figured I'd have a rough time if I didn't get a new weapon, but I found the blacksmith after I beat them. I had 60k+ souls then went to the blacksmith for a big makeover. Got the Claymore+10 I was using to a Lightning Claymore +5. Very good weapon and I can crush those knights in the area in one hit with a backstab or two hits with a thrust. Will stick with it till I get the Moonlight Greatsword. Then I got some Giant armor (sans helm) that I'll be sticking with for the rest of the game, just need to finish upgrading my gauntlets. Also got my Grass Crest Shield to +10 as well as got the Ring of Favor and Protection from killing Lautrec which I'll be sticking with as well.

Finally, Blighttown and Great Hollow earlier were garbage. Sen's Fortress was kinda bullshit too but for different reasons. Ash Lake was really cool though but not much was there. Got surprised when
the Hydra started flying lol.

Booshka

Made it to the end of Anor Londo. Surprisingly not that bad, archer section aside. I managed to get the item on the left side where one of the archers off when he fell. After that point I just bolted to the archer on the right every time I tried. There's no need to go after the left archer after you get the item as his arrows won't touch you once you start fighting the right one.

The ceiling section with the white dudes was annoying too but I somehow managed through it. I was surrounded at one point and wasn't sure how I was going to make it but it worked out.

After that point I summoned like 2 dudes to make the dungeon crawl bearable. Made O&S easy though. I was doing like 90 damage to Ornstein so I figured I'd have a rough time if I didn't get a new weapon, but I found the blacksmith after I beat them. I had 60k+ souls then went to the blacksmith for a big makeover. Got the Claymore+10 I was using to a Lightning Claymore +5. Very good weapon and I can crush those knights in the area in one hit with a backstab or two hits with a thrust. Will stick with it till I get the Moonlight Greatsword. Then I got some Giant armor (sans helm) that I'll be sticking with for the rest of the game, just need to finish upgrading my gauntlets. Also got my Grass Crest Shield to +10 as well as got the Ring of Favor and Protection from killing Lautrec which I'll be sticking with as well.

Finally, Blighttown and Great Hollow earlier were garbage. Sen's Fortress was kinda bullshit too but for different reasons. Ash Lake was really cool though but not much was there. Got surprised when
the Hydra started flying lol.

On your way to becoming a proper GiantDad, all you need now is a Fucking Chaos 2 Hander and the YOLO mask.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Wow I feel bad. I'm 60 hours in and am currently in New Londo Ruins. Haven't done Duke's Archives or Demon Ruins.

I forgot to mention that I already played the game until Sen's Fortress about a year ago. I restarted with a different character, but I played through the early areas quicker.

I only have Duke's and Ruins left in my NG+, and I'm clocking in at about 10 to 15 hours of playtime in this run. There are probably a lot more shortcuts and bosses I can skip, but I beat all of them again. I only took the Blighttown shortcut, for obvious reasons.

Have there been comments from From regarding the performance/framerate for (console) Dark II? I hope they do their best to avoid something like Blighttown. What was it that made the area so taxing in the first place? I'm guessing a combination of size, amount of enemies, light sources etc? It's striking because the other areas have ok to playable framerates.

patchday

I too wish From Software would formerly announce they will at least maintain 30fps on consoles. I could just buy it on my PC which I might do.... But I really enjoy playing these games on my consoles

Yeah its funny how quickly you can blaze through the game on subsequent playthroughs once you know where everything is

Soulhouf

For bow-wielders out there, which comes out better for +15, Longbow or Composite bow?

It depends of the usage and stats you have.
Composite bow is generally very effective when used as a crossbow for short to middle range, especially if you have increased both your str and dex for it (quality build).
Which makes it tremendous in PvP in particular.

Long range sniping on the other hand requires a different usage and the dex and great bows are generally good at that.

solid mike

It depends of the usage and stats you have.
Composite bow is generally very effective when used as a crossbow for short to middle range, especially if you have increased both your str and dex for it (quality build).
Which makes it tremendous in PvP in particular.

Long range sniping on the other hand requires a different usage and the dex and great bows are generally good at that.

I'm sticking with my Longbow then since I don't really take PvP seriously.

Sullichin

I'm sticking with my Longbow then since I don't really take PvP seriously.

I'd still go with composite personally, I find it more useful in more situations. It's great in boss fights. You get used to compensating your aim for far targets and you can use feather arrows and/or hawk ring if you need more range.

Soriku

Got the Moonlight Greatsword, upgraded it to +5. Also rolling with Mask of the Mother for the extra HP. Wolf Ring is good too with Ring of Favor and Protection. Still suck at PvP though lol. Any tips? Trying to pump my Int up to 44-45 (for Logan's Catalyst too) and Vit up (at 30 now) as well. Already have 40 End.

I just have Lost Izalith and the Tomb to go before the Kiln. I assume if I want to keep doing PvP on this playthrough, I shouldn't beat the last boss for a while?

Also I heard that Dark Souls 2 is going to have like 2x the size of the world as in this game? Probably going to be amazing. I'm already around the 70 hour mark, I wonder if DS2 will take even longer to beat (if you go through all the areas).

solid mike

I changed my mind after seeing how much better Longbow and Pharis get after ascending to lightning. Which comes out better, a +5 Lightning longbow or black bow of Pharis?

Soulhouf

I changed my mind after seeing how much better Longbow and Pharis get after ascending to lightning. Which comes out better, a +5 Lightning longbow or black bow of Pharis?

That's the worst thing to do for these bows. Even magic and enchanted are better than lightning.

Why is that? Bows have the best scaling in the game. Because the scaling is applied on the base damage of the bow AND the arrow, the output damage increases significantly.
When you ascend to lightning, not only you remove the scaling and the wasted stats on dex but also you split your output damage to physical and shitty lightning. I say shitty because there is no lightning arrows in the game.

Here is my ranking for Long/Pharis bows ascension:
+15 >>> enchanted > magic > ??? > chaos > fire > lightning

??? for divine and occult because I don't remember very well how they scale. But for sure they are better than lightning because of the excellent moonlight arrows that you can purchase from the Giant Blacksmith.

If you stay with very low stats, it's a different story, but since you're using the BBoP, you already increased your dex.
The best advice I can give you is revert what you did and go for normal+15.

solid mike

That's the worst thing to do for these bows. Even magic and enchanted are better than lightning.

Why is that? Bows have the best scaling in the game. Because the scaling is applied on the base damage of the bow AND the arrow, the output damage increases significantly.
When you ascend to lightning, not only you remove the scaling and the wasted stats on dex but also you split your output damage to physical and shitty lightning. I say shitty because there is no lightning arrows in the game.

Here is my ranking for Long/Pharis bows ascension:
+15 >>> enchanted > magic > ??? > chaos > fire > lightning

??? for divine and occult because I don't remember very well how they scale. But for sure they are better than lightning because of the excellent moonlight arrows that you can purchase from the Giant Blacksmith.

If you stay with very low stats, it's a different story, but since you're using the BBoP, you already increased your dex.
The best advice I can give you is revert what you did and go for normal+15.

Thanks a lot for enlightening me. I have nothing to revert because thankfully, I haven't ascended any of my bows to lightning. I still have a +13 longbow as of now but I'm farming for some titanite for my BBoP. Some charts show that BBoP has objectively low damage at the +15 stage but does the 65 range increase physical damage? I plan to go pure DEX too.

Soulhouf

Thanks a lot for enlightening me. I have nothing to revert because thankfully, I haven't any of my bows to lightning. I still have a +13 longbow as of now but I'm farming for some titanite for my BBoP. Some charts show that BBoP has objectively low damage at the +15 stage but does the 65 range increase physical damage? I plan to go pure DEX too.

BBoP has a very strong S dex scaling compared to the Long Bow which makes its output damage higher at 40 dex. It also has a better range.
The higher the range, the less power you lose with the distance. You won't really need feather arrows and hawk ring to do decent amount of damage with BBoP at a long distance, but you can if want to do very long sniping.
It's also the easiest to manipulate because its aim is straight forward unlike the Composite Bow for example.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Listen to Soulhouf, he knows what he's talking about. Lightning crossbows make sense, since you can have lightning bolts (heh heh, "lightning bolts!"... ahem nevermind), and the scaling for crossbows is poor in general. (Incidentally, don't ever make fire/chaos crossbows, though I'm not sure you even can, because there are no fire bolts.)

But for bows, never ever go lightning. Even if you stay at very low level and keep bare minimum stats, then go with Chaos or Fire and use fire arrows, I've certainly done that on low-level runs. Otherwise, BBoP on a dex build, composite bow on almost anything else: +15 with large arrows on STR or dex/str builds, divine+10 or occult+5 with moonlight arrows on FTH builds, magic+10 with moonlight arrows on INT builds (though usually you don't need bows with those but if you're to have one, it's the best path).

Mutombo

Okay guys, I need a stronger weapon. I'm SL 70, 27 dex and 20 str. I have a lifehunt scythe +5, 247 damage (with scaling another +175 damage) which is alright, and a claymore +15, which has better combo's but does 257 damage (+95 scaling).

I'm at the duke's archive and I have to hit those small blue fuckers about 4 times before they die. I want to one shot them, but I'm already too high a level to find a weapon that will scale.

What's the way to go? Make the claymore chaos or fire or something? I don't want to waste too many points in dex and str anymore.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
So is there a bug that keeps the wisdom of a sage achievement from piping? I swear I have all the spells minus DLC

I'd check your list again. I was sure I had everything as well, until I saw Hush was missing. There's a lot of similar spells, it's easy to overlook one.

Booshka

Okay guys, I need a stronger weapon. I'm SL 70, 27 dex and 20 str. I have a lifehunt scythe +5, 247 damage (with scaling another +175 damage) which is alright, and a claymore +15, which has better combo's but does 257 damage (+95 scaling).

I'm at the duke's archive and I have to hit those small blue fuckers about 4 times before they die. I want to one shot them, but I'm already too high a level to find a weapon that will scale.

What's the way to go? Make the claymore chaos or fire or something? I don't want to waste too many points in dex and str anymore.

I think your numbers are backwards, with those stats the +15 Claymore is your best option, especially if you 2 hand it for most of your attacks. With those stats a +15 Claymore has 407 AR 1 hand and 453 2 hand. Lifehunt Scythe is a Dex scaling weapon, so if you want it to do more damage, level up your Dexterity.

The enemies in Duke's are very resilient, but pure physical weapons will still deal the most damage. Just keep leveling up your Dexterity and your Claymore and Scythe will scale even higher with damage. All the way up to 40 Dex.

You don't need to level your weapon stats though, you'll be fine. Just 2 hand your attacks more often, go for backstabs, and avoid most of the enemies. Elemental weapons fare even worse against the "Crystal Hollows" of Duke's Archives.

Your weapons will feel back up to par in other areas.

Mutombo

I'm pre patch, so maybe that's why you think the numbers are backwards? Because the numbers you gave me are a bit higher than what i'm actually dishing out..

Booshka

I'm pre patch, so maybe that's why you think the numbers are backwards? Because the numbers you gave me are a bit higher than what i'm actually dishing out..

That's the Attack Rating in the stat screen, that number is then subtracted by the enemies Physical defenses. The Hollow enemies in Duke's have very high resistance, so even though you have a high AR, you end up netting about a 1/3 of that number.

+15 Claymore with those stats is your best bet, you'll do fine. Use Thrust attacks and 2 handed strong attacks to help break through some of their physical defenses and net more damage. Heavy attacks and Thrust usually net you the highest damage overall. Generic strikes and slashes do a bit less usually.

6for8

The Chaos Gargoyle Halberd is the weapon you are looking for. A 2-hand r1 attack will one hit the little buggers and the 2-hand r2 attack will clear the room. A chaos claymore 2hand r2 works as well and of course a chaos zwei will stomp them into the ground. I would keep your claymore at +15 of course.

I prefer to level my VIT and END before I add points into DEX and STR for scaling. You will do more damage with stat scaling but higher END and using elemental weapons allows you to get an extra swing in then roll away. Get the bonus of fast roll using better armour and heavier weapons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom