• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Guys, I am depressed. Doing my first play through and trying to stay away from wikis and the general Internet for things other than general character and weapon build stuff.

I have already screwd myself out of pyromancy but tonight I just found the sun dude, who helped me with a bunch of boss fights, had been infested by something and has gone crazy... Poor guy...

Haha yeah that's a bummer. Apparently there is a way to save him, so look out for that on NG+ :p

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Just saw the Dark Souls tribute in Borderlands 2's latest DLC. Kinda neat. :)
Getting invaded by NOOBKILLER cracked me up for sure. The "Backstab me while I flask" raging was amusing. You can tell these guys actually did play Dark Souls haha.

So after watching Vageta's NG+7, fresh start playthrough vids, I thought I'd give it a try for fun. (Fresh start, meaning a completely new playthrough on NG+7, so level 1 and no equipment. You can do this on the PC with cheat engine [I've never used cheat engine for anything else in the game, only for this, which just makes the game harder]).

Yeah. Can't even beat the Asylum Demon. And the hollows at the beginning of the game are about as hard to kill as the Black Knights.

sixghost

So after watching Vageta's NG+7, fresh start playthrough vids, I thought I'd give it a try for fun. (Fresh start, meaning a completely new playthrough on NG+7, so level 1 and no equipment. You can do this on the PC with cheat engine [I've never used cheat engine for anything else in the game, only for this, which just makes the game harder]).

Yeah. Can't even beat the Asylum Demon. And the hollows at the beginning of the game are about as hard to kill as the Black Knights.

That sounds fun. I didn't realize you could do stuff like that on the PC version.

That sounds fun. I didn't realize you could do stuff like that on the PC version.

Haha, I'm sure it will be fun as soon as I get out of the Asylum, and can start getting good equipment, and putting a few levels in. Right now it's fist-clenchingly frustrating.

Since I never really had a problem with the Asylum Demon, it turns out I don't really know his attack patterns all that well. Nearly all of his attacks will one shot you at NG+7, SL1. After the plunging attack and using all 8 Fireballs, he still has more than half his health. At that point it's an endurance contest, as each two handed attack only does about 30 damage to him.

Looking back at Vageta's vid, he chooses Black Bombs as his starting gift, which makes the fight quite a bit easier. I don't know if I want to give up the Master Key though. =( Still, it would possibly be fun to force myself to play the game at this difficulty without it...

Soulhouf

I wish it was an option in the game.
I can't bring myself to use a cheat program.

I wish it was an option in the game.
I can't bring myself to use a cheat program.

Yeah, I only am justifying it because I'm only using it to make the game harder for myself, and I only load it up once and then I don't ever need it again.

So I restarted and chose Black Firebombs this time. After using all 8 fireballs and all 10 firebombs, it only took two or three more hits to kill him.

Now stuck on the Taurus Demon. =\ Oh, and I am allowing myself to level up, unlike Vegeta did (he was doing a true SL1 run). This is hard enough as it is -- I don't think I could manage it at SL1.

The difficulty reminds me of my first time playing, where even all of the hollows at the beginning of the game were super hard to beat. Now they can practically all one shot me again.

Fun stuff.

The game is currently on sale and I'm very tempted to get it as I've heard a lot about this game buuuuut I'm not very good at these kinda games. Would it be worth it?

sixghost

The game is currently on sale and I'm very tempted to get it as I've heard a lot about this game buuuuut I'm not very good at these kinda games. Would it be worth it?

There really aren't many games like Dark Souls, so it's hard to tell whether or not you'd have trouble with it. It's not an action game like god of war or Bayonetta. Whether you continue to progress has more to do with your willingness to learn from deaths than how fast your reactions are.

It's a game-of-the-generation type game for plenty of people on gaf, so if it's cheap, I'd say give it a shot.

It's always hard to guarantee if someone will like a particular game, but I'm never hesitant to recommend Dark Souls. Don't worry if you feel like you're not good at these types of games -- nobody is good at Dark Souls when they first play it (unless they were a Demon's Souls veteran).

It may not end up being the type of game you like, but if it's on sale the potential reward is much greater then the potential risk of not liking it. If the game does end up clicking for you, it could become one of your favorite gaming experiences, if your experience with the game is like many others.

It's always hard to guarantee if someone will like a particular game, but I'm never hesitant to recommend Dark Souls. Don't worry if you feel like you're not good at these types of games -- nobody is good at Dark Souls when they first play it (unless they were a Demon's Souls veteran).

It may not end up being the type of game you like, but if it's on sale the potential reward is much greater then the potential risk of not liking it. If the game does end up clicking for you, it could become one of your favorite gaming experiences, if your experience with the game is like many others.

I've always been a fan of these types of games but damn was demon souls impossible!

ArynCrinn

Banned
Haha, I'm sure it will be fun as soon as I get out of the Asylum, and can start getting good equipment, and putting a few levels in. Right now it's fist-clenchingly frustrating.

Since I never really had a problem with the Asylum Demon, it turns out I don't really know his attack patterns all that well. Nearly all of his attacks will one shot you at NG+7, SL1. After the plunging attack and using all 8 Fireballs, he still has more than half his health. At that point it's an endurance contest, as each two handed attack only does about 30 damage to him.

Looking back at Vageta's vid, he chooses Black Bombs as his starting gift, which makes the fight quite a bit easier. I don't know if I want to give up the Master Key though. =( Still, it would possibly be fun to force myself to play the game at this difficulty without it...

Starting the game as a Thief class or Deprived class and using ENB rules with no upgrades or buffs/rings (no healing during bosses), is pretty much the same as playing on NG+7, without cheating. Maybe even possibly harder, especially later on into the game.

Sullichin

Starting the game as a Thief class or Deprived class and using ENB rules with no upgrades or buffs/rings (no healing during bosses), is pretty much the same as playing on NG+7, without cheating. Maybe even possibly harder, especially later on into the game.

I think a big reason to do SL1 NG+7 is to make the beginning of the game hard again. No upgrades is crazy hard, but not right away.

ArynCrinn

Banned
I think a big reason to do SL1 NG+7 is to make the beginning of the game hard again. No upgrades is crazy hard, but not right away.

This is true, Asylum Demon really stands no chance against anything (unless you want to beat him with fists, which I've done but takes FOREVER to do), no matter the rules on NG, most of the beginning Burg too. But I'm just opposed to using Cheat Engine or Trainers for the game, goes against my Souls principles or whatever. :p

Only game I've EVER used Cheat Engine for in since the Game Genie (amazing device back in the day) was for Binding of Isaac. Which actually made the game fun with it's horrile hitboxes due to flash, randomly generated levels instead of creatively designed and polished ones, and just the unbalanced nature of it in general. Cheat Engine helped even my balance odds are made it fun to play. Hopefully the "Rebirth" on Steam with it's pixel look and new engine and balances will encourage me to put in more than 30 or so hours and shelf it.

Yeah, I don't doubt that it's much harder, later in the game. I wasn't necessarily going for the "hardest challenge", but just one that seemed interesting to me. I'm not even doing a SL1 NG+7 run, since I'm allowing myself to level up. It's basically just a fresh start, NG+7 run, which means that the second half of the game should be cake. After I get a +15 weapon, I'll probably just stop playing it.

This. The start of the game is really hard on this challenge...I couldn't even beat the Asylum Demon until I restarted and got Black Firebombs. And now I'm stuck on the bloody Taurus Demon. The hollows can still nearly one shot me on the way, and when I do manage to get to him, I do nearly no damage. And I've already wasted all my pine resin. =(

I've resorted to fighting him on the tower, since that gives me more room to dodge. I suppose I could try and cheese him, and get him to fall off the edge. But that just wouldn't feel right.

Excellent game, except for the finale which was really, REALLY disappointing.
Behind that huge
Lordveseel
door, I was expecting a final area with a shitton of dragons, 3-headed armored knights, cyclops throwing molten rocks at you, titans trying to run you over, etc etc etc.

Nope! Just a corridor with old enemies you've fought before and a simple final boss with no transformation phase whatsoever. Felt like the devs had to rush this last part of the game out.

The Kiln as it is is much more fitting to the mood of the game, and why the heck would
Gwyn
have a transformation phase?

Sullichin

This is true, Asylum Demon really stands no chance against anything (unless you want to beat him with fists, which I've done but takes FOREVER to do), no matter the rules on NG, most of the beginning Burg too. But I'm just opposed to using Cheat Engine or Trainers for the game, goes against my Souls principles or whatever. :p

Only game I've EVER used Cheat Engine for in since the Game Genie (amazing device back in the day) was for Binding of Isaac. Which actually made the game fun with it's horrile hitboxes due to flash, randomly generated levels instead of creatively designed and polished ones, and just the unbalanced nature of it in general. Cheat Engine helped even my balance odds are made it fun to play. Hopefully the "Rebirth" on Steam with it's pixel look and new engine and balances will encourage me to put in more than 30 or so hours and shelf it.

Eh, I've put so many hours into Dark Souls that I can't have anything against using cheat engine if it helps extend the life of the game. I haven't used it, but would for this NG+7 fresh start, or at this point even to just give myself a bunch of souls to make a new PVP character faster, because I've done it dozens and dozens of times the legitimate way and I don't feel like I'm cheating myself out of anything.

someone should make a Dark Souls 2 wishlist thread. I want to hear some discussion on the new backstab mechanic etc etc.

I made a thread like that, it fell off the front page pretty quickly.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=600871&highlight=

so in one of my playthroughs the dragon flew away (hasn't come back not sure if it will) and I was able to access the bonfire under him. How did i accomplish this? I really want to get to that bonfire and that statue....you veterans probably know why....

one85x

If you don't trigger the landing scene in the Undead Burg, he'll never appear on the bridge until you do trigger that scene. The only other way to get him to fly away is to wait for him to drop onto the bridge, then run under him into the bonfire room. If you do it that way, he'll reappear after you trigger a loading screen and run out onto the bridge.

If you don't trigger the landing scene in the Undead Burg, he'll never appear on the bridge until you do trigger that scene. The only other way to get him to fly away is to wait for him to drop onto the bridge, then run under him into the bonfire room. If you do it that way, he'll reappear after you trigger a loading screen and run out onto the bridge.

How could you possibly progress without triggering that scene?

How could you possibly progress without triggering that scene?

Master Key.
You can go to the Valley of Drakes, and all the way around through the basin and up to the Undead Parish without ever triggering the scene with the drake. This also means that the Taurus Demon is an optional boss, if you have the Master Key.

EDIT: Actually, you can do it without the Master Key too.
Go through New Londo, and kill Ingward. Then drain the water. Bam, in the Valley of the Drakes!

I might actually do that in my NG+7 run, so I can upgrade my weapon before killing Taurus...I know that I can get titanite from the undead soldiers, and then upgrade with Rickert, but the drop rate is just too low. Haven't had any luck getting shards from them.

The combined might of my SL9 fresh start pyromancer and Sullichin's SL6 Deprived couldn't take down the Taurus Demon in NG+7. It was absolutely insane...when he has nearly 4,000 HP, and both of you are doing around 50 or so damage per hit, and most of his attacks can one shot you...yeah, insane.

Fun stuff, though.

sixghost

The combined might of my SL9 fresh start pyromancer and Sullichin's SL6 Deprived couldn't take down the Taurus Demon in NG+7. It was absolutely insane...when he has nearly 4,000 HP, and both of you are doing around 50 or so damage per hit, and most of his attacks can one shot you...yeah, insane.

Fun stuff, though.

This is why I'm so excited at the prospect of less predictable AI in DS2. Doing stuff like SL1 runs or what you guys are doing makes it harder, but only in the typical video game sense of you do less damage, they have more health. There comes a point in DS where you know 8 different ways to consistently outsmart the AI and you can destroy the game.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Yeah NG+7 SL1 "fresh start" is no joke. Used all my firebombs on the asylum demon and died embarrassingly.

Alright screw it, link me to a trainer that will allow me to skip directly to NG+7 fresh start! I'll beat the Asylum Demon's ass with my Broadsword ENB-style.

Alright screw it, link me to a trainer that will allow me to skip directly to NG+7 fresh start! I'll beat the Asylum Demon's ass with my Broadsword ENB-style.

I followed this tutorial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oI3b5JzO_A

I don't think you really need to make a local profile, though...I think that's just if you're worried about your GFWL being banned. But that's really never happened in DkS, even for people that cheat maliciously. =( But you can do that if you want to be safe, although you won't get online features.

Mutombo

First post here.

Long story short: quit Dark Souls after getting to SL 20 and just barely getting past the Taurus Demon. After a year (more?) I got some coaching from a friend, which made me get past the next section pretty easily, which made me realize this game's pretty doable as long as you know what you're doing.

I just beat O&S. The game is awesome. What i like is how the game is unrelentlessly painful at first, how it makes you it's bitch, but that the better you get, the more you're able to conquer the game. It makes you feel awesome. And it never get's easier on you, as in other RPG's.

Now, for some questions.

I've got a lighting claymore (+3 I think) which does a fair amount of damage. But my main is, or that's what I thought it would be, the lifehunter scythe +4 . However, i find that the lifehunter scythe's power only truly shines when battling bigger enemies with more HP, so that the Bloodloss actually kicks in. Other than that, the lifehunter scythe is somewhat lacking in oneshotpowerkills.

I'm SL 54 I think, with str 18 and dex 19. I want to get those to 20/20 so that I can use the dragonbow when I need one. I don't know how handy it'd be to put more points in dex for the lifehunt scythe, since it's mostly about the bloodloss?

I also read somewhere that the lighting claymore can be upgraded into something better?

First post here.

Long story short: quit Dark Souls after getting to SL 20 and just barely getting past the Taurus Demon. After a year (more?) I got some coaching from a friend, which made me get past the next section pretty easily, which made me realize this game's pretty doable as long as you know what you're doing.

I just beat O&S. The game is awesome. What i like is how the game is unrelentlessly painful at first, how it makes you it's bitch, but that the better you get, the more you're able to conquer the game. It makes you feel awesome. And it never get's easier on you, as in other RPG's.

Now, for some questions.

I've got a lighting claymore (+3 I think) which does a fair amount of damage. But my main is, or that's what I thought it would be, the lifehunter scythe +4 . However, i find that the lifehunter scythe's power only truly shines when battling bigger enemies with more HP, so that the Bloodloss actually kicks in. Other than that, the lifehunter scythe is somewhat lacking in oneshotpowerkills.

I'm SL 54 I think, with str 18 and dex 19. I want to get those to 20/20 so that I can use the dragonbow when I need one. I don't know how handy it'd be to put more points in dex for the lifehunt scythe, since it's mostly about the bloodloss?

I also read somewhere that the lighting claymore can be upgraded into something better?

This is your new best friend Click me!

upgrading weapons can be tricky, but yes it can be upgraded, you just need to the right material etc. That wiki will walk you through it.

Sullichin

First post here.

Now, for some questions.

Take the claymore down the regular upgrade path, you can eventually upgrade it to +15. It will scale with your dex and strength stats, unlike the lightning path, and do pure physical damage which is preferable against pretty much every enemy in the game.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
What do you guys mean, blind run?

Playing the game blindfolded. It's freaking crazy, YouTube "dark souls blindfold record run." So much win

Playing the game the first time without getting any help (wikis, guides) I think

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Beat the game yesterday, loved it and in the end may like it more than Demon's. What Demon's may have over Dark, is more consistent level design. Dark had some of the best areas, but also some uninspired ones (didn't like Lost Izalith that much tbh). Nothing that rivaled world 3 in Demon's.

Better in Dark? I had to learn to appreciate the connected world, but now I may prefer it over Demon's hub structure. Good that they removed the tendency mechanic, never liked that in Demon's.

Dark's biggest strength is in enemy variety and the designs. In Demon's this was very impressive, but Dark even seems to improve on this. If you flip through the designs, it's incredible what this game has to offer. There is some minor recycling, but even that's handled well (
making you fight capra demons/minotaurs/gargoyles again and annihilating them... feels good man.
)
I hope From's art team is paid well.

So many different areas, all with their unique enemy set... Makes the world feel very diverse and believable. For that reason alone I feel like getting the DLC. I even have some unexplored optional areas left.

On to current matters, my NG+!

I read somewhere that upping dext.decreases casting time. I upped my sorcerer's to about 24 but I don't notice a difference. I don't know if it's worth it to invest more points in this. I decided to test it out, after I got 250k souls (!) yesterday after doing some invading for the forest clan in darkroot. If the difference is minimal, at least I can wield some good bows now :)

I read somewhere that upping dext.decreases casting time. I upped my sorcerer's to about 24 but I don't notice a difference. I don't know if it's worth it to invest more points in this. I decided to test it out, after I got 250k souls (!) yesterday after doing some invading for the forest clan in darkroot. If the difference is minimal, at least I can wield some good bows now :)

Was wondering this myself, what was your build for your sorcerer, and did you feel overpowered at the end? Like were you just destroying bosses in like one hit?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Was wondering this myself, what was your build for your sorcerer, and did you feel overpowered at the end? Like were you just destroying bosses in like one hit?

I focused mainly on int (45 now)/vit and endurance secondary. It was pretty challenging in the beginning, but it got better as I went on. Only took me a couple of tries to beat O&S for example. I completed the Big Hat Logan quest and after that I was dealing some pretty serious damage. Combined with the crystal catalyst and buffing gear, I've defeated bosses in 3 hits or so yes. Homing Crystal Soulmass destroys. The only late game boss that put up some resistance was Seath the scaleless, he was very resistant to magic. Other than that most late game bosses went down first or second try. 4 kings was supposed to be a hard fight... a joke with spells.

goodfella

So I finally started playing again.

I stopped a while ago, before most of the patches hit, and I was kinda hoping that weapon scaling had been fixed. I guess not.

Is there anything at all that makes a strength (or dex) build as good as anything else? It seems like, even at SL120, only a few +15 weapons do more damage than their elemental counterparts. So you can put all your points into getting 40 end, and then the rest into strength, and the only benefit is being able to do like 10-20 more damage on some heavy weapons?

Seems to make much more sense to, forgetting about faith/magic builds, put the rest of the points into vitality.

That way, even if you pick one of those few heavy weapons, you can make it lighting and do essentially the same damage, with points to spare in vitality, or even magic/faith. An obviously , you have the choice of using any of the other lighter weapons, which do way more damage with lighting than at +15, even with loads of strength(/dex) points.

The only other thing would be armor requirements, but that is just making the trade off between poise and rolling, and the general feeling is that rolling is better.

Am I wrong here?

Arjen

I stopped a while ago, before most of the patches hit, and I was kinda hoping that weapon scaling had been fixed. I guess not.

Is there anything at all that makes a strength (or dex) build as good as anything else? It seems like, even at SL120, only a few +15 weapons do more damage than their elemental counterparts. So you can put all your points into getting 40 end, and then the rest into strength, and the only benefit is being able to do like 10-20 more damage on some heavy weapons?

Seems to make much more sense to, forgetting about faith/magic builds, put the rest of the points into vitality.

That way, even if you pick one of those few heavy weapons, you can make it lighting and do essentially the same damage, with points to spare in vitality, or even magic/faith. An obviously , you have the choice of using any of the other lighter weapons, which do way more damage with lighting than at +15, even with loads of strength(/dex) points.

The only other thing would be armor requirements, but that is just making the trade off between poise and rolling, and the general feeling is that rolling is better.

Am I wrong here?

You're forgetting that lightning / fire etc. weapons have split damage, so they have to go trough 2 defense checks. Let's say an enemy has 200 ligntning resist and 200 physical.
You're weapon does 300 ligntning and 300 physical. The damage you do is 100(300-200)+100(300-200)=200.
Now you have a weapon dealing 600 pure physical. Now the same enemy wil get 600-200=400 damage.
Somebody correct me if i'm wrong, but i think that's how it works.

goodfella

You're forgetting that lightning / fire etc. weapons have split damage, so they have to go trough 2 defense checks. Let's say an enemy has 200 ligntning resist and 200 physical.
You're weapon does 300 ligntning and 300 physical. The damage you do is 100(300-200)+100(300-200)=200.
Now you have a weapon dealing 600 pure physical. Now the same enemy wil get 600-200=400 damage.
Somboy correct me if i'm wrong, but i think that's how it works.

Oh wow, I did not know that!

Soulhouf

Am I wrong here?

Nowadays any +15 weapon deals more damage than its elementary counterpart, even with stats that are not maxed at all ( 20 str/20 dex Claymore+15 will do more damage than lightning+5 for example). There is no question about that.

@Arjen: the formula doesnt work exactly like that but that's the idea indeed.

Sullichin

Oh wow, I did not know that!

Also, elemental weapons have been nerfed with subsequent patches so they did fix that. If you want to go elemental, for low level runs or a backup weapon or whatever, chaos +5 is your best bet. There are still some popular PVP builds that use chaos weapons but they are less prevalent.

solid mike

I just beat Sif the giant wolf and now I don't know what to do with my weapons. The halberd is really good for my DEX build but while it's +5 right now, it's shit compared to the Crystal Halberd from Anor Londo although that one's shit too because of the incredibly low durability.

So GAF, should I ascend it to Raw form or +15 it all the way?

Hobobloke

I just beat Sif the giant wolf and now I don't know what to do with my weapons. The halberd is really good for my DEX build but while it's +5 right now, it's shit compared to the Crystal Halberd from Anor Londo although that one's shit too because of the incredibly low durability.

+15 is almost always the best option.

rando14

So I just started this game on the PC with a game pad.

...Is the camera supposed to be this terrible? Im stuck on the first dude because I cant roll out of his way because I cant even see him because its zoomed so far on my character lol

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Forget raw. +15, always.

So I just started this game on the PC with a game pad.

...Is the camera supposed to be this terrible? Im stuck on the first dude because I cant roll out of his way because I cant even see him because its zoomed so far on my character lol
No, that's not normal. I don't know what's wrong with your game but it sounds bugged...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom