• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Booshka

How do I use a 360 controller for the PC version? Is it pretty straight-forward or are there some mods necessary?

It should work fine if you just plug it in and have the controller drivers up to date. Wired 360 controller works flawlessly for most PC games now, and Dark Souls is super easy as well.

Socreges

Banned
It should work fine if you just plug it in and have the controller drivers up to date. Wired 360 controller works flawlessly for most PC games now, and Dark Souls is super easy as well.
Thanks.

So the first time I played, the framerate made the game unplayable. So I installed DSfix and tried again. Exact same results.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3217U CPU @ 1.80GHz
3.9 GB RAM
Windows 8
Intel HD Graphics 4000 (apparently a very good card, but with just 128 MB of dedicated video RAM)

I guess my processor isn't up to snuff? Any way I can adjust the video settings so that it's playable? Seems like there isn't much I can change if I'm using DSfix.

Seanspeed

Banned
I guess my processor isn't up to snuff?
That and your graphics processor.

The HD 4000 isn't really a 'very good' card, I hate to break it to ya. Its pretty good for integrated graphics, but even the lowliest dedicated card will likely beat it in terms of power. 128MB of vRAM is pretty weak.

solid mike

Just beat Seath. Now heading to the Catacombs then Tomb of the Giants.

I made a divine Iaito to combat the rumored necromancers there. Can anyone remark if the Iaito will fare well there?

Just beat Seath. Now heading to the Catacombs then Tomb of the Giants.

I made a divine Iaito to combat the rumored necromancers there. Can anyone remark if the Iaito will fare well there?
It depends on your stats - It's best to pick weapons that scale well with your own stats so the damage bonus increases.

The divine weapon is only for the skeletons - once you kill the (non-respawning) Necromancers that control each group, they won't resurrect. Divine weapon can come in handy for the Tomb of the Giants boss though, or rather his helpers *evil grin*

This is the weapon stats page that tells you how each weapon scales wih your stats:
bwkjl.jpg

It depends on your stats - It's best to pick weapons that scale well with your own stats so the damage bonus increases.

The divine weapon is only for the skeletons - once you kill the (non-respawning) Necromancers that control each group, they won't resurrect. Divine weapon can come in handy for the Tomb of the Giants boss though, or rather his helpers *evil grin*

This is the weapon stats page that tells you how each weapon scales wih your stats:

so I have a divine Z +10 but I swear it didn't put those skeletons down for good. Maybe i'm imagining things.

Also is there not a bonfire that can be warped to in the catacombs or have I always just missed it?

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to

"ignore this area
don't ever use a weapon
as a god damn shield"

Lol. Is this legit advice? I've been thinking about no shielding it and using a weapon to block whenever rolling won't work. Bad idea I guess?

Edit: nice image btw, I'm on NG+ and have been using wikis and still haven't run across such a clear explanation. Still wondering exactly how the scaling values work. They're like school grades (A=best E=worst) right? Whats the numerical multiplier of an A, B, C, etc?

(Google is lame, consider this a test)

Booshka

Blocking with a weapon is actually very effective in PvP because the damage ratios are broken. You take much less damage and stamina from blocking with most weapons than you should in PvP. So, this allows you to always be 2 handing and attack quicker after a block, this especially effective Katanas. The Demon Great Machete has some pretty excellent stats for blocking with, so it works well with that weapon in PvP or PvE.

In PvE you generally want to be rolling away from attacks, or blocking with a shield, blocking with a weapon should be a last resort, so in that respect it's true. Most enemies are pretty predictable, so you can just roll or block, then attack in the typical cadence of Souls combat.

PvP is far more dynamic and fast paced though, getting hits in is tougher against real players so just staying 2 handed and sticking and moving so to speak is the best option. And if you do block with your weapon, you won't take a ton of damage and can attack back or quickly roll away.

Lol. Is this legit advice? I've been thinking about no shielding it and using a weapon to block whenever rolling won't work. Bad idea I guess?
It's always better to dodge than block, but if you're two-handing your weapon and not using a shield, then blocking with a weapon is fine, it's saved my skin many times!

Edit: nice image btw, I'm on NG+ and have been using wikis and still haven't run across such a clear explanation. Still wondering exactly how the scaling values work. They're like school grades (A=best E=worst) right? Whats the numerical multiplier of an A, B, C, etc?
Like school grades yes, and S is the best scaling (above A) Japanese standard I think, S-Rank being the best). Not an expert on scaling, but I don't think there is a numerical standard for each letter and it varies by weapon.

Guys, I'm starting a new game purely to rock the Abyss Greatsword. My SL 150 dude has dismal INT & FTH stats, so given the amount of souls I need per level and that I'm at the beginning of the game, I figure I should just start a freshie.

Would you recommend selecting the class that has the highest FTH & INT stats from the get-go and getting them out of the way, or is there a smarter way to go about this?

Many thanks!

Booshka

Guys, I'm starting a new game purely to rock the Abyss Greatsword. My SL 150 dude has dismal INT & FTH stats, so given the amount of souls I need per level and that I'm at the beginning of the game, I figure I should just start a freshie.

Would you recommend selecting the class that has the highest FTH & INT stats from the get-go and getting them out of the way, or is there a smarter way to go about this?

Many thanks!

Pick Warrior or Bandit if you don't plan on using any magic and have no attunement slots. If you want to use a couple spells, pick Pyromancer or Wanderer.

Shoot for 27 STR, 40 DEX, then 18 for INT and FAI. Take your Vit and Endurance to 40 if you can. Then level your Vit more, or Attunement, or take your STR up to 40 for more 1 handed scaling.

Also, for the Abyss sword makes sure you have 10 Humanity in your counter for a significant damage scaling bonus.

Pick Warrior or Bandit if you don't plan on using any magic and have no attunement slots. If you want to use a couple spells, pick Pyromancer or Wanderer.

Shoot for 27 STR, 40 DEX, then 18 for INT and FAI. Take your Vit and Endurance to 40 if you can. Then level your Vit more, or Attunement, or take your STR up to 40 for more 1 handed scaling.

Also, for the Abyss sword makes sure you have 10 Humanity in your counter for a significant damage scaling bonus.

You are the man, Booshka. Thank you. Aware of the humanity scaling, but does it matter whether you are hollow or not?

Talents

Banned
So for most of the game I've been using Balder's Shield it's an awesome shield and it's currently at +7 which gives 90 physical defence, I'm wondering if I should upgrade it to a Magic Balder Shield which reduces the physical defence to 62 but gives it 67 magic defence. What should I do?

Soulhouf

So for most of the game I've been using Balder's Shield it's an awesome shield and it's currently at +7 which gives 90 physical defence, I'm wondering if I should upgrade it to a Magic Balder Shield which reduces the physical defence to 62 but gives it 67 magic defence. What should I do?

That's actually the attack when used as weapon, not defense.
Shields don't offer defense. They block a percentage of damage (that shield blocks 100% of physical damage).
What increases when you upgrade a shield in the normal path is its stability. The more stable the shield, the less stamina will be drained when you block.
Balder shield has a high stability for its weight but it becomes very low and don't increase if you ascend it to magic. Don't do that, it's usually a wast to ascend shield other than the normal path.

If you're looking for a good magic blocking, check the Crest Shield.

Talents

Banned
That's actually the attack when used as weapon, not defense.
Shields don't offer defense. They block a percentage of damage (that shield blocks 100% of physical damage).
What increases when you upgrade a shield in the normal path is its stability. The more stable the shield, the less stamina will be drained when you block.
Balder shield has a high stability for its weight but it becomes very low and don't increase if you ascend it to magic. Don't do that, it's usually a wast to ascend shield other than the normal path.

If you're looking for a good magic blocking, check the Crest Shield.

Ah, thanks I didn't know that. Appreciate the advice.

Cause Bed of Chaos is worse than Hitler, I've started a new character. As opposed to my current character, I want to play a fast dex build with quick, shortish weapons, relying more on mobility/parrying/backstabbing. So what are some nice dex weapons? I'm not interested in spears. I've looked into katanas, they seem nice. But for the early game they are to heavy for a fast roll. I'm already familiar with the Balder Side sword from my main char, so I don't want to use that. What weapons are good for riposte/backstab?

Cause Bed of Chaos is worse than Hitler, I've started a new character. As opposed to my current character, I want to play a fast dex build with quick, shortish weapons, relying more on mobility/parrying/backstabbing. So what are some nice dex weapons? I'm not interested in spears. I've looked into katanas, they seem nice. But for the early game they are to heavy for a fast roll. I'm already familiar with the Balder Side sword from my main char, so I don't want to use that. What weapons are good for riposte/backstab?
I love all the rapier type weapons - Rapier, Mail Breaker, Estoc are all available super-early, either treasure, drops or to buy. My only gripe is the loss of the kick.

Daggers are also good, Bandit Knife is an easy drop from the little shits in Lower Undead Burg. All these have high critical damage.

4 hours in and Capra has been dealt with! Man, it feels weird to not be NG+in' and having all my gear. Stupid mistakes abound.

So, being the creature of habit that I am, I've fallen back on the trusty Claymore, but I want to try new things, damn you! Is there anything else similar in terms of damage output and decent scaling that I can get at this point in the game? I have a Halberd, which is looking pretty enticing.

Lost 36k souls. I quit this game.

Ack, why were you carrying around 36k souls? You really should never carry a bunch of souls around, unless you're already at the soul level you intend to stay at and already have all the items you need. Otherwise, you should spend them rather than hoarding them.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Ack, why were you carrying around 36k souls? You really should never carry a bunch of souls around, unless you're already at the soul level you intend to stay at and already have all the items you need. Otherwise, you should spend them rather than hoarding them.

I was going back to the Smith to upgrade my weapons / buy stuff and fell off stupid elevator in Blightown

I was going back to the Smith to upgrade my weapons / buy stuff and fell off stupid elevator in Blightown

Did the exact same thing, but with double the amount. 'Tis soul crushing, but in the grand scheme of things, it's really not that much. Just grind some out.

Booshka

If you are ever carrying around a ton of souls that you can't afford to lose, it's worth throwing on a Ring of Sacrifice, just in case.

Or after you die, just wear a ring of sacrifice while you go on your corpse run for your bloodstain. If you die with a ring of sacrifice, you don't drop a bloodstain, so the original bloodstain won't be reset. You can usually get your bloodstain in one or two tries, so doing this tricks help ensure you will almost never lose a bloodstain. You can continually use rings of sacrifice too and never lose the stain, so you can keep trying until you run out of rings essentially.

I've done this trick with 10+ million soul and 99 Humanity bloodstains throughout entire NG+ and beyond playthroughs, and never lost the bloodstain. You can pick up a good amount of sacrifice rings per playthrough as well, and buy 10 from the Belltower NPC.

Bed of Chaos - least fun boss fight in a game ever. Zero satisfaction, much frustration. Sincerely hope whoever designed that was fired before they started working on DS2.

Or after you die, just wear a ring of sacrifice while you go on your corpse run for your bloodstain. If you die with a ring of sacrifice, you don't drop a bloodstain, so the original bloodstain won't be reset. You can usually get your bloodstain in one or two tries, so doing this tricks help ensure you will almost never lose a bloodstain. You can continually use rings of sacrifice too and never lose the stain, so you can keep trying until you run out of rings essentially.

I've done this trick with 10+ million soul and 99 Humanity bloodstains throughout entire NG+ and beyond playthroughs, and never lost the bloodstain. You can pick up a good amount of sacrifice rings per playthrough as well, and buy 10 from the Belltower NPC.

Very good point, this is a good idea if you didn't have a ring of sacrifice on before.

Bed of Chaos - least fun boss fight in a game ever. Zero satisfaction, much frustration. Sincerely hope whoever designed that was fired before they started working on DS2.

IIRC, From actually apologized for that fight. They're aware that it was terrible, and they claimed it was because they ran out of time to implement the fight the way they really wanted to.

Hopefully there's no terrible bosses like that in DS2.

I started a new game to take a break from the end game slog (just died twice falling down a hole in Tomb of the Giants), and I don't remember the Taurus Demon being this much of a pain.

Have you tried fighting him with a pine resin buffed weapon? You can snag it in that little house before the tower that you go up to fight him. (Need the Master Key or the Residence Key from the merchant.)

rando14

Hey guys I'm at anor londo trying to beat O+S but im running out of humanity (i cant do it without a companion :( ), any recommendations where to farm some humanity at this point?

Robot Pants

Hey guys I'm at anor londo trying to beat O+S but im running out of humanity (i cant do it without a companion :( ), any recommendations where to farm some humanity at this point?

If you haven't killed them yet you can farm Humanity from the knights and the giants around the area. Might take some time. Or put your summon sign down a few times and help someone else beat Ornstein and Smough

I spent way too long making this.

The Four Knights of Gwyn know how to have a good time

four_knights_dance_by_alo81-d6euom2.gif

Wow, that's awesome!

You can lay your sign down and help other people beat them. If you succeed, you get a humanity. And you don't need to be human to be summoned. Otherwise you'll have to book it all the way back to the Depths to get some good humanity farming in...

What platform and soul level are you? If you're on PC and I have a character around your level, I could probably head over there and drop you some humanity.

Booshka

Excellent work Alo81, I'm saving that one haha. Glad that From added the Armor sets for the other Knights in the Lore of the game.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Whoa, WTF? How'd that happen?

I'm playing through using cheat engine for some vanity screenshots.

To do that, I had to add the whole Dragon Armor set to my inventory. When using Dragon legs with non-dragon torso it makes your legs disappear. I found that pairing the armors I chose gave you a really awesome looking floating phantom.

Also, a continuation of that post.

I will fight whatever I must to reach him.

four_kings_by_alo81-d6eu0t6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom