• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going back to the Smith to upgrade my weapons / buy stuff and fell off stupid elevator in Blightown
We've all done that. Just for future reference, it's safer to stay on the wheel until you're at the very top. You will slide off the platform on to the wheel itself and then you can just step/roll off.

36k is nothing. Do three co-ops on Queelag or Gaping Dragon and you've made it back and then some if the host hasn't killed Midred or Kirk yet.

patchday

36k souls lost eh? Other day I lost bout 30 humanity+ & 70k souls (on my SL 50 darkwraith) on my way to a boss in Demon Ruins. You know that Firesage demon. Was trying to sprint to him without fighting anything. Got too close to that harmless looking worm and got instakilled.

No biggie though I can make that back

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
...Dragon armour?

As you level up the dragon covenant you can turn into a dragon. In the game its your actual body but when you just add the items to your inventory through cheat engine then you can wear them like any other piece of armor.

If you're just curious what it looks like, I'm wearing the dragon armor (and helmet of thorns) in this GIF.

super_boom_by_alo81-d6ervns.gif

Talents

Banned
God dammit, just failed so hard. I'd just killed
Gwyn
using the Lifehunt Scythe and in my "Yeah suck it bitch!" moment of repeatedly hitting the dead boss, I forgot that the Lifehunt scythe has the blood loss effect if you use it repeatedly, and I ended up dying, now I have to kill him again.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
As you level up the dragon covenant you can turn into a dragon. In the game its your actual body but when you just add the items to your inventory through cheat engine then you can wear them like any other piece of armor.
Oh, I didn't know they could be considered items. Interesting.

God dammit, just failed so hard. I'd just killed
Gwyn
using the Lifehunt Scythe and in my "Yeah suck it bitch!" moment of repeatedly hitting the dead boss, I forgot that the Lifehunt scythe has the blood loss effect if you use it repeatedly, and I ended up dying, now I have to kill him again.
lol xD Are you wearing the bloodbite ring?

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
the wait for Dark Souls 2 is killing me, i already did pretty much everything in DkS

-a slvl 1 run
-a DEX character
-an INT character
-a STR character
-a Faith character
-a no shield run

If only Demon's Souls was available for PC :(

Siegmeyer

the wait for Dark Souls 2 is killing me, i already did pretty much everything in DkS

-a slvl 1 run
-a DEX character
-an INT character
-a STR character
-a Faith character
-a no shield run

I had a lot of fun with my glass cannon character - no shield, no leveling VIT, no poise allowance. Not sure I'll finish the run because I've been stuck on Kalameet for an eternity.

-a slvl 1 run
-a DEX character
-an INT character
-a STR character
-a Faith character
-a no shield run

SL1 NG+7?

(I tried a fresh start NG+7, no level restrictions. Absolutely ridiculously difficult. Couldn't even beat Taurus Demon.)

dewdrop

Banned
ohhhh man got myself the Plat trophy on this bad boy last weekend... immediately got back in and rolled a Faith character because I didn't get to use any of the sunlight spear magics my first time through.

I don't know if ya'll have noticed but this is some fucking game.

Sullichin

ohhhh man got myself the Plat trophy on this bad boy last weekend... immediately got back in and rolled a Faith character because I didn't get to use any of the sunlight spear magics my first time through.

I don't know if ya'll have noticed but this is some fucking game.

It's OK.

I used Velka's Rapier for the first time ever yesterday on a newish sorcerer-ish build. Never knew it had a unique R2. At least I think it's unique, it's different to all the other rapier R2s, almost felt like a whip attack, pretty cool looking.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Hey guys would you say the DLC is worth the 15 dollars it is on PSN?

I thought the DLC was absolutely incredible. So many ridiculously cool fights and enemies and the lore it brings in is really interesting. I'd say it's worth it.

This game feels incredibly stale. I liked Anor Londo and even parts of Sen's Fortress because of the enemies. You could parry and backstab and all that. Now I've killed
Ceaseless Discharge
, which was a bad boss fight that simply wandered around and occasionally did high-damage, barely-avoidable attacks, and all I get now is a big flat plain filled with copies of an old boss turned into a standard foe. It's just so very dull. Same with the stupid crystal golems. Feels like I'm just rolling, then attacking when they aren't, over and over and over. I've gone through some swords, spears, halberd, now Black Knight Halberd, and it doesn't really feel like the game has evolved at all. You are playing the same character throughout the entire game, and I just don't get it. All I do is memorize enemy patterns and attack when they aren't, or chug Estus Flasks while I beat them to death, in
Seath's
case.

I just don't get it. There is nothing to keep me going. There's no promise of new moves, new weapons that I'll immediately be able to wield effectively, new human-esque enemies to duel, there just isn't anything to look forward to. The satisfaction of getting a parry/ riposte, backstabs, kicking enemies off of ledges, is all gone. Now it's just "You accidentally aggro'd two large enemies and now you have to pray they don't spin around mid-attack and hit you as you stop rolling."

This game feels incredibly stale. I liked Anor Londo and even parts of Sen's Fortress because of the enemies. You could parry and backstab and all that. Now I've killed
Ceaseless Discharge
, which was a bad boss fight that simply wandered around and occasionally did high-damage, barely-avoidable attacks, and all I get now is a big flat plain filled with copies of an old boss turned into a standard foe. It's just so very dull. Same with the stupid crystal golems. Feels like I'm just rolling, then attacking when they aren't, over and over and over. I've gone through some swords, spears, halberd, now Black Knight Halberd, and it doesn't really feel like the game has evolved at all. You are playing the same character throughout the entire game, and I just don't get it. All I do is memorize enemy patterns and attack when they aren't, or chug Estus Flasks while I beat them to death, in
Seath's
case.

I just don't get it. There is nothing to keep me going. There's no promise of new moves, new weapons that I'll immediately be able to wield effectively, new human-esque enemies to duel, there just isn't anything to look forward to. The satisfaction of getting a parry/ riposte, backstabs, kicking enemies off of ledges, is all gone. Now it's just "You accidentally aggro'd two large enemies and now you have to pray they don't spin around mid-attack and hit you as you stop rolling."

I'm not as critical of it as you are, but I do think a lot of people (including myself) feel that the pre-Lord Vessel part of the game are superior to the what comes after. I've had a ton of different builds/characters where I get the Lord Vessel, but then stop playing. I'm just not as interested after that point.

I would say the combat/enemies after Anor Londo definitely aren't as interesting to fight, like you said. For me, I think the areas are really visually stunning, but just aren't as fun to play. Finding really cool looking new areas was what kept me really interested on my first playthrough after Anor Londo, come to think of it. But that pull just isn't the same on multiple playthroughs.

Have you done
The Painted World, or the DLC areas?
I enjoy those areas a lot.
Duke's Archive, Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith, Tomb of the Giants, not as much.

I always have a blast playing a new character/build, and trying to get all of the items I want near the start of the game, but don't often finish it through.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Ceaseless Discharge
Seath's
case.

Lost Izalith is easily the worst and laziest area of the game. You should do the DLC. It's a real treat.

Booshka

Ceaseless Discharge
Seath's
case.

Try Painted World and the DLC, it will help the post Lordvessel withdrawal. I like Duke's Archives, but Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith and Tomb of the Giants are just areas I run through as quick as possible.

It's best to not even waste your time fighting a lot of the enemies, just run by them on your way to the boss There isn't really any good loot, and most of the enemies don't drop anything either, so just book it to the boss.

The last third of the game is definitely a lot worse than the other 2/3, but if you visit Painted World, Great Hollow and Ash Lake, it helps refresh it a bit. Then the DLC brings it all back to the awesomeness that you expect from Dark Souls. After you complete all of the DLC, go to the last area and beat the Final boss.

I've played through Dark Souls so many times that I just speedrun through the shitty areas and get done with them in 5-10 mins. Unfortunately on a first playthrough it can hit kind of hard for some people and they get disappointed that the latter end of the game falls off hard.

As for the combat and weapon experimentation losing its luster, that's another thing that Painted World and the DLC will remedy. Especially the DLC bosses.

What should I do to make a fast character, also? What armor, where, what stats, what ring and where to find it.

You want your equip load below 25% so that you can roll fast. Leveling up endurance increases your equip load. If you need a bunch more equip, throw on Havel's Ring, and/or Ring of Favor and Protection/Mask of the Father. (Although, unless you are using really heavy armor, generally having a good amount of endurance and Havel's is enough. The FAP ring is really good, but it breaks if you take it off. So I hate using it.)

Armor can be whatever you like, really, as long as you can keep your equip load under 25%. You won't be able to take as many hits, but the extra mobility helps a lot.

If you want to have a really cool roll, snag the Dark Wood Grain Ring as well. It gives you a cooler animation, more invincibility frames, and lets you recover from rolls faster. (But you have to have sub 25% equip burden for it to work.)

EDIT: In terms of armor, I generally like to have some lighter armor for body/legs, and then a couple of heavy pieces that give poise for the arms and head. You can generally get away with fast roll with that, and the added poise helps a lot. As to what armor in particular, it changes everytime I play...I recommend just finding some that looks cool that can keep you under 25% equip.

Wanted to get a little advice about weapons... So I'm playing a magic character, but with enough strength to also weild the Zweihander. My intelligence is currently 40, and I'm aiming for 50, and I'm keeping my strength at 24, I just wanted to check that there are no better weapons than my Zweihander +15 that I'm missing out on.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Wanted to get a little advice about weapons... So I'm playing a magic character, but with enough strength to also weild the Zweihander. My intelligence is currently 40, and I'm aiming for 50, and I'm keeping my strength at 24, I just wanted to check that there are no better weapons than my Zweihander +15 that I'm missing out on.

You should use the Moonlight Greatsword instead, it has a S scaling for INT, plus it's R2 attack is a magic attack

It was going well as a Thief until I got stuck on the undead hallway in the Parish and the game simply refused to drop a shortsword. I think I killed around 40 undead soldiers to get one.

Should I keep any throwing items around as a speedy character? I don't expect any other boss gets destroyed by bombs as easily as Taurus Demon.

6for8

Sorry to hear you used that slab on your zwei because for a character with your stats, an enchanted zwei is pure goodness. The +15 with a crystal magic buff is stronger but the enchanted zwei has A scaling and you don't need to worry about buffing it. Make an enchanted bow, composite or long, as well. With moonlight arrows it's a howitzer.

My glass cannon toon is too weak to use a zwei but she has an enchanted shortbow, short sword and rapier. With the hornet ring on the rapier does 1315 damage to the silver knights in Anor.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I just made this for another thread so I thought I'd post it here too.

File size is big, so click for the 22mb color GIF.

Also, has anyone got requests for animations they'd like to see GIFs of, and potentially slow-mo GIfs of? Anything reasonable I can try and do.

Totalriot

So I played this game on PS3 until I got Platinum and then stopped. Now I grabbed the Prepare To Die Edition from the Steam Summer Sale and the love for this game is back!

This time I want to try out a DEX build but my problem is that I sucked at parrying but I thought this would be essential for this kind of build. So I sat down and practised. At the end of the first evening I was already kind of good, so on the second evening I tried Havel. I felt sooo good to finaly kill him with 12 or 13 successful parries in a row only with the thief starting gear and no level ups.

Yesterday I continued my parry training session with the Balder Knights until one of them dropped the Balder Side Sword. Really nice weapon.

Today I want to get the Great Sycle and then I can finally start killing bosses :)

Ruuppa

So I played this game on PS3 until I got Platinum and then stopped. Now I grabbed the Prepare To Die Edition from the Steam Summer Sale and the love for this game is back!

This time I want to try out a DEX build but my problem is that I sucked at parrying but I thought this would be essential for this kind of build. So I sat down and practised. At the end of the first evening I was already kind of good, so on the second evening I tried Havel. I felt sooo good to finaly kill him with 12 or 13 successful parries in a row only with the thief starting gear and no level ups.

Yesterday I continued my parry training session with the Balder Knights until one of them dropped the Balder Side Sword. Really nice weapon.

Today I want to get the Great Sycle and then I can finally start killing bosses :)

Successful parries feel so damn satisfying, and once you get the timing down it's like riding a bike.

It was going well as a Thief until I got stuck on the undead hallway in the Parish and the game simply refused to drop a shortsword. I think I killed around 40 undead soldiers to get one.

Should I keep any throwing items around as a speedy character? I don't expect any other boss gets destroyed by bombs as easily as Taurus Demon.
Buy a shortsword. I'm sure either Andre or the Undead Merchant sells them. Try the rapier weapons too - light, high critical damage, poke from behind shields and relatively low damage when not doing ripostes and backstabs so they add a bit of challenge, not everything dies in one *THWOMP* like the big swords.

Try grabbing the parrying dagger from New Londo to use instead of a shield, and pairing it up with the Mail Breaker which is a stubby cool looking rapier. All early area loot.

You might want to grab the Wolf Ring as it will make up for your armours lack of poise.

Ninja builds are also great. Shadow set as armour, ring of fog, uchigatana.

Also, has anyone got requests for animations they'd like to see GIFs of, and potentially slow-mo GIfs of? Anything reasonable I can try and do.

I've mentioned it before, but I would love to see a gif of someone parrying the jumping attack from the black knight with the black knight greataxe in the Kiln.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
OK, this I did not know! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xufrgtAC8o&t=3m16s

lol, would it work with the ones inside too?!!

I need to check out all his vids.

'the teeth of a mimic are actually human fingers'

i9FLwyZ.png

Read about the vagrants, never once saw one.

'If you hear the bell ringing in the undead church, it means someone has beaten the gargoyles in their game'

i9FLwyZ.png
i9FLwyZ.png

Goddamn. I always wondered why I kept hearing the bell at random times.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I've mentioned it before, but I would love to see a gif of someone parrying the jumping attack from the black knight with the black knight greataxe in the Kiln.

File size is huge so click it for the colored one.

Also, I did one that is the FULL color GIF, that ones 43mb, so open that if you're really curious but know it's going to take some time to load.

43mb GIF version

Yeah, his recent one on Shiva was especially good.

He had an absolutely terrible mic for some of his earlier ones, but they're still worth watching for the content.

Yeah I think he's a cool guy other than his really boring voice filled with jokes that go right over your head due to the boringness. Like his videos a lot though.

File size is huge so click it for the colored one.

Also, I did one that is the FULL color GIF, that ones 43mb, so open that if you're really curious but know it's going to take some time to load.

43mb GIF version

Freaking awesome, thank you! I've been wanting a gif of that forever. That was exactly how I pictured it.=D Any chance we can get a slightly slo-mo version of it too? EDIT: Actually, seems like it is slow mo. Was on a different browser and it seemed sped up really fast for some reason. Not sure why. Looks good as is.

So the ring (i think its hornet?) that increases crit dmg. Why does it only change the backstab/riposte animation on NPC's and other players why not on all units?

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

If you're taking request, I'd like a large club two handed jump attack from an angle to see the full move :)

Preferably pancaking an assholish enemy like the anor londo gargoyles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom