• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the ring (i think its hornet?) that increases crit dmg. Why does it only change the backstab/riposte animation on NPC's and other players why not on all units?

Wait, when you say all units do you mean all units you can backstab/riposte already or just all the enemies ever. Cause I never actually used the hornet ring before.
Edit:nvm

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
If you're taking request, I'd like a large club two handed jump attack from an angle to see the full move :)

Preferably pancaking an assholish enemy like the anor londo gargoyles.

I've got one for ya.

large_club_jump_smash_by_alo81-d6f6zdg.gif

Still open to more requests.

I might try redoing that one specifically because I want to see how it looks with motion blur turned on. The motion blur in this game is ace.

Finished!

The world and it's atmosphere is grand. I adore that minimalist style of storytelling that feels rich because leaves much to the player's interpretation while also letting the player get on with the gameplay.

The combat is very solid, with some absolutely glorious boss fights like Queelag and Ornstein and Smough though I was aching for more variety by the end. Because upgrade materials are handed out stingily unless you go back and grind and because right hand weapon slots are only two, I ended up using the same weapons for most of the game. I wish I had 4 slots so I could actually equip 2 melee weapons, a pyromancy glove and a bow at the same time for more variety instead of having one melee weapon and juggling the glove and bow. I also felt that blocking then attacking was too reliable, it was easy to fall into a repetitious pattern of doing that because moves to punish blocking are lacking.

The game falls off hard after Anor Londo though, with weak boss fights, less challenging enemies and worse areas. Getting to the end started to feel like a chore, which was disappointing. There's also a ton of stuff that is janky or pointlessly frustrating.

Still worth playing and watching for the sequel.

I ended up using the same weapons for most of the game. I wish I had 4 slots so I could actually equip 2 melee weapons, a pyromancy glove and a bow at the same time for more variety
I think I'm in the minority here, but I've always equipped the bow in the left hand. I think it was only from watching yt videos that I realised most people equip it to the right hand. Just how I did it from the start, switching it over feels weird and gets me into trouble, so I stuck with it, except when I've a character with a buff spell.

patchday

Sup, uploaded a new pvp film this weekend. Hook me up with a like if you think it's ok.

Man I just cant stop playing this game. So hooked. It's got all the elements I love in a RPG (pvp, no classes, twitch moves, etc)

Toxi

Banned
I'm starting a challenge run as a Wanderer.

• No leveling up
  • Starting equipment only
  • No elemental weapons
  • No covenants
  • No healing during boss fights
  • No summons

I've got the Red Tearstone Ring and a +5 Scimitar and am ready to face the Gargoyles!

solid mike

I'm starting a challenge run as a Wanderer.

• No leveling up
  • Starting equipment only
  • No elemental weapons
  • No covenants
  • No healing during boss fights
  • No summons

I've got the Red Tearstone Ring and a +5 Scimitar and am ready to face the Gargoyles!

No healing during boss fights? Dang, I would do implement all your conditions except for that one because I don't think I can handle it.

Toxi

Banned
No healing during boss fights? Dang, I would do implement all your conditions except for that one because I don't think I can handle it.
Taking into account that he's using the Red Tearstone Ring, he doesn't want to heal :p
Yep. Lower my health to turn Red Tearstone Ring on, hope I can avoid getting hit.

I'll try recording Ornstein and Smough, if I ever actually beat them. :p

People weren't kidding about the huge drop off in quality at the end of the game. A boss who gets a dozen minions, an area composed entirely of recycled bosses, including the boss of the area itself, uninspired "dark cave" area with excessively difficult enemies who are actually easy to just run past, the gimmicky invisible pathways, and just giving every single boss a huge AoE attack.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
People weren't kidding about the huge drop off in quality at the end of the game. A boss who gets a dozen minions, an area composed entirely of recycled bosses, including the boss of the area itself, uninspired "dark cave" area with excessively difficult enemies who are actually easy to just run past, the gimmicky invisible pathways, and just giving every single boss a huge AoE attack.

I wouldn't consider the Tomb of the Giants a bad area, I thought it was awesome and terrifying.

Izalith/demon's ruins can eat a dick tho.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
There's something I don't understand: how come you find the peculiar doll in the cell in the undead asylum? The key to the painted world is left there of all places, in the cell you wake up in to boot. It somehow got there in the time you were away. It's just weird and appears to make no sense at all, but I must be missing something.

I wouldn't consider the Tomb of the Giants a bad area, I thought it was awesome and terrifying.

Izalith/demon's ruins can eat a dick tho.

As a wimpy and agile character, I can't roll without flying off a cliff, there are weird dog-skeletons that can kill me instantly by flailing around, and it takes about 2 minutes to just run straight to the boss. The entire last section of the game seems focused on "big enemies, big damage" rather than any sort of finesse or interesting design.

Also,
I killed Stray Demon without much issue, but I have messed up dodging Firesage's vertical smash every single time. It's really agitating.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
and it takes about 2 minutes to just run straight to the boss.[/spoiler]

Yeah but when you're starting you don't know that or how to do it. Thats one of the things I think is cool is that theres this incredibly daunting area and once you've mastered it you learn that with practice you can get through it in 2 minutes.

This is my first time in Tomb of the Giants. I just randomly ran around and got to the boss pretty easily, and now I know the route.

Another thing the late game loves to do: Have you take unavoidable fall damage. Why?

Got the Titanite Catch Pole last night from the last Prowling Demon at the bottom of Sen's. Is it a guaranteed drop from him? I've heard accounts that claim so and not so.

Anyway! Dat R2. It's making me want to upgrade it fully, but being around SL65 and having a +13 Great Scythe already means that it'll probably be completely redundant outside of novelty value.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Wat? Other than Firesage which is just like Asylum and Stray, who is "recycled"?

Booshka

Wat? Other than Firesage which is just like Asylum and Stray, who is "recycled"?

Demon Ruins is just Kappa Demons and Ford Taurus Demons copy/pasted into the level. Glad they are there so I can farm for their Demon weapons when I am not in the Forest Cov so I can keep the Crystal Demon weapons on rotation. But, it's not a fun area, just run to the boss and ignore the enemies, that goes for a lot of the latter 1/3 of the game.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Oh, I thought he meant those areas's bosses were recycled. Well, Demon Ruins also has the giant acid-spewing centipede things, and the statue demons. :p

I like fighting the Capra Demonas and Taurus Demons in Demon Ruins...not saying it's a great area, but I think having armies of those enemies was interesting. What was once a boss is now a typical enemy. Shows the progression you've made through the game.

Toxi

Banned
Well, the Gargoyles, Capra Demon, and Quelaag are down. I got Quelaag on my first try, so I think I'm getting used to this hyper mode nonsense. Now I'm trying Sen's Fortress, but oh my God, I hate pendulums so much.

Edit: Finally at the top of Sen's Fortress. Let's see how Mr. Iron Golem likes some Red Tearstone.

I like fighting the Capra Demonas and Taurus Demons in Demon Ruins...not saying it's a great area, but I think having armies of those enemies was interesting. What was once a boss is now a typical enemy. Shows the progression you've made through the game.

That's what it's supposed to feel like, but the leveling in Dark Souls isn't as radical as other RPG's, for one. You aren't an unstoppable god by the end of the game, get stuck in a corner with some skeletons and you're still done for without decent poise, which not every character will have. The Taurus Demon becomes easier because you know how to exploit him in the environment he's in. When you level him/ it up, there are now a dozen of him/ it, and all of your tricks (plunge attack, firebombs) are gone, that leveling doesn't mean anything. As a 1on1, of course you can still beat him, he'll take 3 hits with your superior gear at that point. The problem is that they just dumped literally a dozen or so of him in an area and if you aggro more than one or two, you might as well just run. I get the basic idea of wanting to let the player destroy early bosses with only a few hits, but the implementation was bad, which most people seem to agree on anyway.

It reminds me of World 5 in Ghouls & Ghosts.

Toxi

Banned
Iron Golem is down (He actually threw me off the side once), and I'm farming titanite chunks for the big fight against Ornstein and Smough.

Hyper mode is fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom