• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only one per game.

The man-serpent greatsword that drops off the snake dudes in Sen's is a great substitute for +15. If you're a dex-build, the flamberge there is also similar to the claymore.

Thanks. I am in the process of building a Man-Serpent Greatsword +15 atm. I just got it to +10, I can't remember how you take it to +11. Does Giant Blacksmith have to do that?

If you have Covetous Gold Serpent Ring (can get in Sen's Fortress), equip it and 10 humanity and go to the bonfire in the depths, strip down so you can run and roll fast and go kill the 10 or so rats that are just round the corner, rinse and repeat.

Takes about a minute and I get 2-3 humanity on average every time.

Cheers. I remember someone said there were baby skeletons which drop Humanity in an old thread.

Dresden

Thanks. I am in the process of building a Man-Serpent Greatsword +15 atm. I just got it to +10, I can't remember how you take it to +11. Does Giant Blacksmith have to do that?

Nah, it's Andre in Parish. Gotta get him the very large ember, which you find in New Londo.

Man, Havel's Shield is pretty sweet once you're able to use it. The elemental resistance is nuts. I wish some of the other 50 STR weapons were actually good.

No don't be sorry keep doing it! Love it, reminds me of my first precious play through.

Frampt is important plot wise, you'll work it out soon ;) also high end weapons upgrades generally depend on smiths found in the later stages of the game, don't worry about this too much most important thing is powering up a weapon whose move set you are comfortable with, discovering all the stuff you can do with upgrades are what multiple playthroughs are for.

Thanks, then Ill continue.

I backtracked back to the bonfire at the chapel in Undead Parish. I decided to head into Sens Fortress, but the traps and lizard men are super strong, and suddenly the fun I was having is slowly turning into a chore. If I wanted to postpone this for later, what area would be good to explore? I havent gone into the catacombs yet.

0qJi9.jpg

IRL Ash Lake?
love this!

Booshka

Thanks, then Ill continue.

I backtracked back to the bonfire at the chapel in Undead Parish. I decided to head into Sens Fortress, but the traps and lizard men are super strong, and suddenly the fun I was having is slowly turning into a chore. If I wanted to postpone this for later, what area would be good to explore? I havent gone into the catacombs yet.

It seems like Sen's Fortress is the first major "gear check" for players. The lizard men are tough and if you haven't been upgrading your weapon, or you are still relying on the Drake sword, it's gonna be tough. Same goes for shields and armor. If you upgrade your gear and go for backstabs on the lizard men, it will be much easier. Sen's Fortress is the next logical area to go through. I think Catacombs will be tougher for you.

It seems like Sen's Fortress is the first major "gear check" for players. The lizard men are tough and if you haven't been upgrading your weapon, or you are still relying on the Drake sword, it's gonna be tough. Same goes for shields and armor. If you upgrade your gear and go for backstabs on the lizard men, it will be much easier. Sen's Fortress is the next logical area to go through. I think Catacombs will be tougher for you.

I dont even have the Drake Sword.

How can I upgrade my weapons and armor when noone of the blacksmith will use any of my shards. Im using Longsword+4, Halbred+5, Pyrohand+5, all the others super weapons I found I cant use. I have 22 Strngh, 25 Dex.

Anth0ny

I tried to kill the dude at the bonfire near Firelink Shrine at the beginning of the game. I didn't like the tone of that assholes voice. He chased me and was really strong, so I ran away and continued with the game.

Hours later, I'm at the cathedral and take the elevator down back to Firelink Shrine. I head towards the bonfire, cause I've killed those three poisonous, giant rats for the last time.

Turns out that dude still wants me dead. GUY NEEDS TO GET OVER IT I STABBED HIM LIKE 6 HOURS AGO.

fuckin poisonous rats

Dresden

I dont even have the Drake Sword.

How can I upgrade my weapons and armor when noone of the blacksmith will use any of my shards. Im using Longsword+4, Halbred+5, Pyrohand+5, all the others super weapons I found I cant use. I have 22 Strngh, 25 Dex.

You should've found a Large Ember in the Depths that would let you upgrade to +10. Dunno man.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Old thread wasn't kidding about the Blighttown framerate. That's the one thing I don't like about this game so far. Hate it when devs sacrifice framerate for the sake of making things shiny.

Dresden

I did. I gave it to the Smith at the church and that was it. Ive given him two so far actually. He asks for the, I give it to him, and thats that. Weird.

That basically unlocks the 'modify' option. With a +5 weapon, go there and see what you can make. With two he probably has the Divine and +6 options opened up on the Modify Equipment selection.

MechaX

Jesus Christ, I have no fucking idea why getting the Moonlight Greatsword from Seath is now x100 more annoying with my Sorcerer build than my first Dex build. I know I'm hitting the right part of the tail, but this enchanted claymore just refuses to cut the thing off. It's absolutely frustrating that the time I could actually use this sword, I'm absolutely incapable of getting it.

Sullichin

Jesus Christ, I have no fucking idea why getting the Moonlight Greatsword from Seath is now x100 more annoying with my Sorcerer build than my first Dex build. I know I'm hitting the right part of the tail, but this enchanted claymore just refuses to cut the thing off. It's absolutely frustrating that the time I could actually use this sword, I'm absolutely incapable of getting it.

I know how you feel. This motherfuckers tail would not come off for my sorcerer. And I wound up beating the boss with a phantom and didn't cut the tail off :/ Was using a lightning claymore.

Is it just me or is the Wolf Sif on NG++ beyond brutal, way worse than my first time through just trying to chip away at him with the Drake Sword. My magic doesn't do squat to help, and all my best weapons do about as much damage as the Drake Sword on NG. One of the more annoying bosses for me...

Sullichin

Yess beat Ceasless, as I said before I couldn't get the easy way to work with this character. I tried that several times (and I've done it succesfully before). I basically used this strategy this time to beat him:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQAfX6A-6NQ

Basically bait him to attack and quickly roll into the one safe zone and get a couple of jabs in. I've now beaten this guy differently with each of my 3 characters, lol

sixghost

I finally had such an awesome Co-op experience with this game. I started a new character just for the hell of it, and to my surprise there were a ton of summon signs outside the undead burg bonfire. I ended up summoned two guys who were very clearly wearing gear they got from either doing low level runs of the game, or had a friend drop.

Killed some invaders, watched them destroy the game, and ended up doing everything up until Anor Londo as a group of 3 from SL4-9. It was kind of a pain to resummon both guys after every boss, but everyone involved was surprisingly patient, even when I made them both wait for like 20 minutes as I died on my way to Blighttown.

What an awesome game this is.

I swear the patch did something with Ceaseless Discharge. The 2 times I have fought him after the patch, he doesn't attack me in the narrow passage in a way that I can counter attack. Also when I tried luring him to his death, he just doesn't want to follow and and wants to do AOE only.

Sullichin

I swear the patch did something with Ceaseless Discharge. The 2 times I have fought him after the patch, he doesn't attack me in the narrow passage in a way that I can counter attack. Also when I tried luring him to his death, he just doesn't want to follow and and wants to do AOE only.

check out my post a couple posts up, i was able to do that earlier today because luring him just wouldn't work for me anymore. even when you're in the narrow passageway you need to get way the hell out of his way, almost to the other opening, to avoid damage.

check out my post a couple posts up, i was able to do that earlier today because luring him just wouldn't work for me anymore. even when you're in the narrow passageway you need to get way the hell out of his way, almost to the other opening, to avoid damage.

Oh I can avoid his attack, it is just that his limb clips underground so I can't hit it.

Beats

I still think the best way to fight him is to just sit in the area where the armor set is. In the three runs of the game that I've done so far he would only do the slam attack which made the fight pretty easy. It's hard to get back to the spot if you die though :|.

-

I fought the Four Kings in NG+ earlier with a melee only build, and I have to say that was the most intense boss fight in the entire game. I thought I was going to die for sure at so many moments. Every other boss was pretty easy in comparison on NG+.

Sullichin

Oh I can avoid his attack, it is just that his limb clips underground so I can't hit it.

This happened a couple of times he used the attack for me but not every time, i was also able to hit him even if it was mostly clipped into the rock. I could imagine its really annoying that it always clips through.

mxgt

Banned
I fought the Four Kings in NG+ earlier with a melee only build, and I have to say that was the most intense boss fight in the entire game. I thought I was going to die for sure at so many moments. Every other boss was pretty easy in comparison on NG+.
I feel the exact same way.

I think it's because with every other boss you can take your time basically. If you don't rush the Four Kings you're kind of fucked. Plus it's pitch black D:

Catacombs is... catacomby :)
Divine enhanced weapon seems to do the trick nicely.

I really want to push on with the game now but being summoned and playing co-op keeps pulling me back in!

Just fell through the floor in the graveyard!! A Skeleton stabbed me and I fell right through. What makes it worse is that I had just been invaded RIGHT before the Bonfire in Catacombs. 60k in souls and 25 Humanity gone. Sigh.

I need advice: So the maiden of my Firelink Shrine was murdered, and theres this eye charm-thing left behind. The game says I can use it to invade the world of the maiden murderer. When is a good time to do this? Id like to relit the bonfire, but since shes dead I cant.

mxgt

Banned
I need advice: So the maiden of my Firelink Shrine was murdered, and theres this eye charm-thing left behind. The game says I can use it to invade the world of the maiden murderer. When is a good time to do this? Id like to relit the bonfire, but since shes dead I cant.

There's only one place you can use it - in the room before the boss fight in Anor Londo

tip for when you get there: It's treating you as an invader, so you can't use Estus Flasks so bring some humanity or a healing miracle

There's only one place you can use it - in the room before the boss fight in Anor Londo

tip for when you get there: It's treating you as an invader, so you can't use Estus Flasks so bring some humanity or a healing miracle

I enjoyed doing this part of the game, it was a great little section.

Wow, lots of invasions in Catacombs, had one guy wave at me before the fight, most people just steam in with their crazy magic shit :D

I am a bit lost in the Catacombs right now, although I have found a *hidden* bonfire near a lever. I can also hear what I assume is a blacksmith, but I can't see him yet. Found a Great Scythe which looks cool as fuck, might make it Lightning. Anyone here use 'em?

krakov

Wow, lots of invasions in Catacombs, had one guy wave at me before the fight, most people just steam in with their crazy magic shit :D

I am a bit lost in the Catacombs right now, although I have found a *hidden* bonfire near a lever. I can also hear what I assume is a blacksmith, but I can't see him yet. Found a Great Scythe which looks cool as fuck, might make it Lightning. Anyone here use 'em?

The Great Scythe is amazing if you two hand it, very good in PvP. Not a big fan of the one handed attacks but you can always switch on the fly.

Just fell through the floor in the graveyard!! A Skeleton stabbed me and I fell right through. What makes it worse is that I had just been invaded RIGHT before the Bonfire in Catacombs. 60k in souls and 25 Humanity gone. Sigh.

I dropped literally right on top of the Black Knight there. I screamed.

How do you get to the blacksmith in the catacombs?
I can hear him in a room that was full of Wheel Skeletons, but I can't get to him. I tried hitting a wall but it didn't seem to break. Any ideas?

Just started this and g'damn I'm getting my ass whipped by scrawny, low level skeletony dudes.

I went right after being dropped off by the bird and have defeated a goat knight thing, a giant bridge troll and now a dragon blocks my path and another goat knight tempts me into battle. By dying, I don't lose items and such, right? Just souls aka currency? Shit is hard but addicting. Rewarding yet unforgiving.

I still don't even know what I'm doing. I'm just wandering around. I guess if I find myself in a tough spot, I grind until I can tough it out, or take another path?

mxgt

Banned
I can hear him in a room that was full of Wheel Skeletons, but I can't get to him. I tried hitting a wall but it didn't seem to break. Any ideas?

I can't remember which one but you can drop down carefully from one of the stairwells there.

When you encounter him he breaks the wall through to the other side for easy access on future trips

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Just started this and g'damn I'm getting my ass whipped by scrawny, low level skeletony dudes.

I went right after being dropped off by the bird and have defeated a goat knight thing, a giant bridge troll and now a dragon blocks my path and another goat knight tempts me into battle. By dying, I don't lose items and such, right? Just souls aka currency? Shit is hard but addicting. Rewarding yet unforgiving.

I still don't even know what I'm doing. I'm just wandering around. I guess if I find myself in a tough spot, I grind until I can tough it out, or take another path?

Shield up when walking, always. When in battle, lower it to regain stamina. Just pace yourself and go slow.

Shield up when walking, always. When in battle, lower it to regain stamina. Just pace yourself and go slow.
Thanks. I was out of breath after the giant troll battle that's for sure.

I've learned to accept the respawning enemies and just constantly grind because I really have no idea what my goal is. I've been walking around the same territory over and over now wondering what it'll take to defeat that giant wart-hog looking thing I see just passed the area with the red dragon. And that knight up in that tower nearby wants me dead too haha.

I want to see more of the game though. I just don't want to backtrack. I always want to move forward.

lunlunqq

after you flip the first bridge over and get across it. the room has a long spiral stair case leading down to seemingly nowhere. at the end of the staircase, look down and you will see treasure. carefully drop down from the end of the staircase, you will fall into the room where the blacksmith is.

Thanks. I was out of breath after the giant troll battle that's for sure.

I've learned to accept the respawning enemies and just constantly grind because I really have no idea what my goal is. I've been walking around the same territory over and over now wondering what it'll take to defeat that giant wart-hog looking thing I see just passed the area with the red dragon. And that knight up in that tower nearby wants me dead too haha.

I want to see more of the game though. I just don't want to backtrack. I always want to move forward.

I spent a long time in Undead Burg / Undead Parish repeating the area over and over, slowly getting better at the combat, learning the enemies patterns. It took me a while but I could get to the boss at the Parish with full health still. You won't be backtracking as such, but you'll be repeating areas over and over again, that's what the game is about. It's really like nothing else I've eve played.

The important thing to remember about Dark Souls is that progression in the game isn't just moving from area to area seeing the whole game, but becoming better as a player and becoming god-like in the process, learning how to play better. I've probably spent way over the average DS finish time now but I really don't care, I am just playing it and I absolutely love it.

Today I went to a new area (the Catacombs, available right from the beginning of the game). I am probably way too over powered for it but since the enemies were all new there and had different move sets and speed then it was a great experience and felt nice and fresh. AND, they can just as easily fuck you up if you aren't careful!

I've now got a new ability (after killing Pinwheel) so I am going to go and do some co-op again. Will tackle the next area whenever :) Also want to upgrade my Pyro Glove some more, convert some boss souls into weapons and get those pesky Titanite Demons in Sens Fortress, the basts.

BTW: It sounds like you need to head towards the Parish yourself. Where the Knight is in the tower, keeping heading up there. The parish gate will be locked so you have to go around. There is a Bonfire not far from there and you'll meet a Blacksmith who can upgrade your weaponry and armour. Just take your time, I died lots getting to him the first time. Also, in the Parish you'll meet three new enemy types, they will be hard at first but you'll soon see how to make them beg :)

mxgt

Banned
Pivot backstab abusers are scum of the earth.

And then they do that fucking 'come at me bro' gesture after their completely skill less victory. Go fuck yourselves.

Back to playing this game after a month of hiatus. Did the patch improved strenght based weapons ? Which ones would you recommend (I have only 30 STR now but I'm still upgrading)

Right now I'm using Lightning Spear +3/Gravelord Sword +4.

3 player co-op with an Invader trying to take on the Undead and Channeler in the Parish in what I assume is NG+ difficulty, madness and fully awesome. We destroyed the invader and we went on to kick the Gargoyles ass. Never gets old.

:)

MechaX

Back to playing this game after a month of hiatus. Did the patch improved strenght based weapons ? Which ones would you recommend (I have only 30 STR now but I'm still upgrading)

Right now I'm using Lightning Spear +3/Gravelord Sword +4.

The scaling for a lot of weapons have been slightly buffed on higher upgrades, but Lightning equipment still runs pretty close even at higher SLs.

The Black Knight Axe is still a pretty solid choice for STR builds overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom