• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxi

Banned
Just beat Stray Demon and got my slab. He's surprisingly easy once you memorize his AI patterns, even without healing and hyper mode (I accidentally didn't remove enough health to activate it). Just stay behind his butt, back up when he does his AOE explosion, and back up and wait there until the hitbox disappears when he does his buttslam (Which is his actual most dangerous attack).

And then I just got killed by a torch hollow. Oh Dark Souls, you never change.

hmmm I never tried it through that. I always farm from the two giants guarding small's and biggie's room. And it sucks!

Yeah, New Londo is the place to do it. The Darkwraiths are much more fun to fight, for one, and you can get 10 (I believe) Darkwraiths in one run. And if you're really lucky you might even get a slab. Throw on your Covetous Serpent Ring and pop a humanity, and you'll be rolling in chunks before you know it.

Just beat Stray Demon and got my slab. He's surprisingly easy once you memorize his AI patterns, even without healing and hyper mode (I accidentally didn't remove enough health to activate it). Just stay behind his butt, back up when he does his AOE explosion, and back up and wait there until the hitbox disappears when he does his buttslam (Which is his actual most dangerous attack).

And then I just got killed by a torch hollow. Oh Dark Souls, you never change.

Awesome, I might have to try a full hyper mode playthrough sometime. Did you ever watch Vageta's one shot bosses challenge?

And that's hilarious about the torch hollow. Because it's so true. It doesn't matter how many times you've played the game, or how many tough enemies you've beaten, a simple enemy can still kill you if you're not careful or paying attention.

Guys

Sorry to bother you but I've "just" started the game. I'm at Taurus and lost eight straight times, I've got 10k souls and I don't want to lose them so I keep on playing.

But it's 7am here, I'd love to get some sleep. If I quit the game, will my last bonfire be my save point? Will the 10k I lost against Taurus on top of the small dungeon like be there when I load my save for me to go get them?

By evading and giving two cimetar blows, I managed to hit him four times, making him lose an eigth of his life. There's progress.

Guys

Sorry to bother you but I've "just" started the game. I'm at Taurus and lost eight straight times, I've got 10k souls and I don't want to lose them so I keep on playing.

But it's 7am here, I'd love to get some sleep. If I quit the game, will my last bonfire be my save point? Will the 10k I lost against Taurus on top of the small dungeon like be there when I load my save for me to go get them?

By evading and giving two cimetar blows, I managed to hit him four times, making him lose an eigth of his life. There's progress.

the game saves whenever you quit. So when you quit then load, you're taken to the place you saved and the souls will still be there. So it's fine

Toxi

Banned
Mario and Luigi are kicking my ass. Dying in one hit is not a good combination with those two. I've pretty much got their entire movesets memorized, but there are three moves that consistently kill me.

• Ornstein's Jump and Chop: This move is really deceptive. It seems like an easy dodge, but he can change his aim at any time during the attack. He delays this attack too, so it's very easy to dodge too soon. It also has massive range, far greater than his other jump attack. Best strategy is to just roll backwards out of range instead of trying to dodge it.
  • Smough's Bulldozer Charge: Argh, I hate this move. It's the main reason to stay near the pillars during the fight. Staying a decent space away from Smough helps, but if you do get caught in it, my only advice is to dodge at the last second in the opposite direction of his swing. Avoiding a position where Smough can corner you against a wall will also save you from this attack.
  • Ornstein's Speedy Gonzales Routine: This attack is actually really easy to dodge. The challenge comes in the little quirks this move has. Ornstein's behavior is kinda erratic. He sometimes just stops in the middle of this and then starts up a second later. He sometimes goes in a random direction and then turns around and comes back. He often gets caught behind Smough, and then you have to wait until the computer decides to move around Smough and attack you. Those little quirks make this attack extremely difficult to predict, especially if you're just relying on the sound of the attack. The best way to avoid these problems is to not let Ornstein get trapped behind Smough, while also keeping Ornstein in your sights at all times.

Still a great fight.

solid mike

I'm thinking of doing a challenge run. I just finished my first playthrough.

How does simply SL1 sound? I can add the no healing except for bonfires, starting equipment only or handicap rings when I've gotten the hang of finishing the game with a character that can die with one fell swoop.

BeeDog

Finally killed Manus on NG+3, was pretty damn hard. Talk about an anti-climactic ending to the DLC, was that all regarding Dusk, some moaning on the ground?

patchday

People weren't kidding about the huge drop off in quality at the end of the game. A boss who gets a dozen minions, an area composed entirely of recycled bosses, including the boss of the area itself, uninspired "dark cave" area with excessively difficult enemies who are actually easy to just run past, the gimmicky invisible pathways, and just giving every single boss a huge AoE attack.

-
You're talking bout Tauron Demon getting reused? You don't even have to fight those dudes. You only have to fight like 1 Tauron Demon on the way to Firesage. Even he's easily skippable if you joined the Covenant that provides the Lost Izalith shortcut. I always go Drakwraith on my alts so coming up with 30 humanity is pretty easy. That just leaves Demon Firesage boss. I'll give you that he's practically the same as Stray Demon sure. But he's optional if I recall. Take the shortcut to avoid him,. The designers are just trolling newbies that don't know to take the Covenant shortcut

- If you played Demons' Souls series, you'd come to appreciate the ability to run past minions. It's actually a part of the strategy making a corpse run quickly as possible to get back to the boss. In Demons' Souls we had no bonfires. We had to sprint from way back at the beginning of the dungeon

Finally killed Manus on NG+3, was pretty damn hard. Talk about an anti-climactic ending to the DLC, was that all regarding Dusk, some moaning on the ground?

You can talk to dusk again back at the Basin and she'll say something new. As well as Elizabeth over at Oolacile.

I already appreciate the ability to run past enemies. Because it's your best option by far in every late game area but the Archives. There just isn't the care given to these areas. You run to the boss, and you kill them. There's also the issue of
Many of the bosses are incredibly similar. Very telegraphed, sweeping, high-damage attacks, and an AoE. Seath (to a lesser extent, and in a very exploitable pattern), Nito, Firesage, and Four Kings all follow this pattern. I defeated all of them with light roll and two-handed Uchigatana, because they were all basically the same boss fight, except Firesage actually moves around considerably. I'm going to do the DLC now, because all that's left is Gwyn. But the post-Anor Londo areas and bosses are really unsatisfying and not worth playing twice.

I already appreciate the ability to run past enemies. Because it's your best option by far in every late game area but the Archives. There just isn't the care given to these areas. You run to the boss, and you kill them. There's also the issue of
Many of the bosses are incredibly similar. Very telegraphed, sweeping, high-damage attacks, and an AoE. Seath (to a lesser extent, and in a very exploitable pattern), Nito, Firesage, and Four Kings all follow this pattern. I defeated all of them with light roll and two-handed Uchigatana, because they were all basically the same boss fight, except Firesage actually moves around considerably. I'm going to do the DLC now, because all that's left is Gwyn. But the post-Anor Londo areas and bosses are really unsatisfying and not worth playing twice.

Get ready. The DLC bosses are probably the greatest bosses in the game

Astarte

After beating down Capra demon while shouting "holy shit" over and over again, I have to ask a question of where do I go next?

Well THAT'S a fun name. I think with my trusty axe, I can do anything!
Still haven't found a blacksmith, hope I do because my axe is tearing in half

Find the Blacksmith before going to the depths! I would highly recommend at least getting your axe to +5 before going too much farther. (He's pretty obvious, but you'll have to backtrack a bit from where you are now.)

Any Song of Ice and Fire fans in here? I've been playing an Oberyn Martell style character.

Slight spoilers for the third book/fourth season of GOT:
Using a +15 Winged Spear which I frequently use Rotten Pine Resin on. The Red Viper needs his poison spear. Also, Target Shield (because I do believe he had a small shield while fighting Gregor Clegane) and Darkwood Grain Ring. Not much Vitality, since he's the kind of fighter that is quick, and relies on wearing down slower (stronger) opponents. Threw on the Armor of the Sun to represent Sunspear...not perfect, but it's close as I can get. It would be nice if there was a red version of that.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Find the Blacksmith before going to the depths! I would highly recommend at least getting your axe to +5 before going too much farther. (He's pretty obvious, but you'll have to backtrack a bit from where you are now.)

Any Song of Ice and Fire fans in here? I've been playing an Oberyn Martell style character.

Slight spoilers for the third book/fourth season of GOT:
Using a +15 Winged Spear which I frequently use Rotten Pine Resin on. The Red Viper needs his poison spear. Also, Target Shield (because I do believe he had a small shield while fighting Gregor Clegane) and Darkwood Grain Ring. Not much Vitality, since he's the kind of fighter that is quick, and relies on wearing down slower (stronger) opponents. Threw on the Armor of the Sun to represent Sunspear...not perfect, but it's close as I can get. It would be nice if there was a red version of that.

I made a PvP toon like that a while back! Used the sunlight shield cause that's almost exactly how his shield his described. You need a golden helm (favor, brass, giant can work) and the crimson gloves since it's how he's written. :)

I also made a few PvE ASoIaF toons. Melisandre (mix of miracles and pyros since she's a priest into fire stuff, wears the crimson robes, no helmet), and a "white walker" xD (wears silver knight armour, he has a weird blue/white face, uses the crystal sword or a balder side sword with CMW on it). Edit: here are the charts I made, the whaleforce thing died down a while back but I had a blast playing with friends cosplaying Robert Baratheon, Daenerys, the Mountain, Ygritte, Khal Drogo and his duel arakhs shotels, etc. :D http://forums.demonssouls.info/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=15636

I made a PvP toon like that a while back! Used the sunlight shield cause that's almost exactly how his shield his described. You need a golden helm (favor, brass, giant can work) and the crimson gloves since it's how he's written. :)

I also made a few PvE ASoIaF toons. Melisandre (mix of miracles and pyros since she's a priest into fire stuff, wears the crimson robes, no helmet), and a "white walker" xD (wears silver knight armour, he has a weird blue/white face, uses the crystal sword or a balder side sword with CMW on it). Edit: here are the charts I made, the whaleforce thing died down a while back but I had a blast playing with friends cosplaying Robert Baratheon, Daenerys, the Mountain, Ygritte, Khal Drogo and his duel arakhs shotels, etc. :D http://forums.demonssouls.info/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=15636

Nice, great stuff! I am using the crimson gloves, but didn't think of throwing on one of those helms or using the sunlight shield. (Honestly, I was kind of going off memory of how he was described.) Also, those builds you have there are awesome. I think I will grab some of them for my next runs. Thanks!

Hmm. To Darkwraith or to see the feels of the alternate Sif cutscene (even though I've already 'tubed it).

Is there a prescribed level that I should become a Darkwraith? Should I be waiting until NG+?

Toxi

Banned
Whale force sounds really fun; I'll think about doing that once I finally best the New Super Londo Bros.

Hmm. To Darkwraith or to see the feels of the alternate Sif cutscene (even though I've already 'tubed it).

Is there a prescribed level that I should become a Darkwraith? Should I be waiting until NG+?
It depends on who you want to invade. I like invading at level 30-35 because both the Depths and Blighttown are fun places to invade, especially Upper Blighttown.

Roubjon

So I'm going through the game with the bandit's dagger and light armor. Is there a specific item that's better for parrying than anything else? Or is the target shield as good as it gets?

Toxi

Banned
So I'm going through the game with the bandit's dagger and light armor. Is there a specific item that's better for parrying than anything else? Or is the target shield as good as it gets?
Target Shield is as good as it gets. You should also try to get the Hornet Ring (Increases riposte damage) and a weapon for enemies that can't be parried.

Tip for parrying: Press the trigger when the enemies hand starts moving towards you. Don't press it before. Make sure to walk forward after a parry to get that riposte more reliably. If you need practice parrying, the Silver Knights with swords in Anor Londo are some of the easiest enemies to parry and will get you used to the timing.

Sullichin

I'm interested in organizing a GAF Dark Souls fight club.

Fight clubs are a great way to experience more balanced PVP against opponents who are less likely to be assholes, and are great practice.
If you're not familiar with how it works: we decide on a platform, time, area, and rules. We go to the spot, lay a red soapstone / invade, or host. Hosts have 2 soapstone slots and 1 slot for a forceful invader. Invaders fight 1v1. The winner stays and fights the next invader. The host fights if there's no invaders for a while. If I'm hosting and fighting, i'll usually try to stop the fight if I see another sign to summon.

I don't know how much interest there is for this or if we could find times that work for everyone. I'll post in the other Dark Souls threads if people seem to care here.

I have the game on PC and PS3. On PC we could use DSCFix and summon each other more easily (else waste our time with constant failed summoning) and it seems like a lot of GAFers picked up the PC version on various sales. PS3/360 would likely be a smoother experience even considering DSCFix. If 360 winds up being the preferred platform, fine.. I'm looking for an excuse to buy it for 360 anyway! Personally, I'd prefer PC.

I really enjoy PVP around SL70 but we can do SL100/120 too.

I suggest:
The Depths
SL70
On a weekend.

Fight clubs are a great way to experience more balanced PVP against opponents who are less likely to be assholes, and are great practice.
If you're not familiar with how it works: we decide on a platform, time, area, and rules. We go to the spot, lay a red soapstone / invade, or host. Hosts have 2 soapstone slots and 1 slot for a forceful invader. Invaders fight 1v1. The winner stays and fights the next invader. The host fights if there's no invaders for a while. If I'm hosting and fighting, i'll usually try to stop the fight if I see another sign to summon.

I don't know how much interest there is for this or if we could find times that work for everyone. I'll post in the other Dark Souls threads if people seem to care here.

I have the game on PC and PS3. On PC we could use DSCFix and summon each other more easily (else waste our time with constant failed summoning) and it seems like a lot of GAFers picked up the PC version on various sales. PS3/360 would likely be a smoother experience even considering DSCFix. If 360 winds up being the preferred platform, fine.. I'm looking for an excuse to buy it for 360 anyway! Personally, I'd prefer PC.

I suggest:
The Depths
SL70
On a weekend.

I'm down! I only have it on PC, so that gets my vote. SL70 sounds good, as Oberyn Martell is almost at that level. Never done PVP in the depths though - where is that usually done?

I'd be up for this weekend, if there's interest.

Warning: I'm pretty bad at PVP.

Booshka

I suggest:
The Depths
SL70
On a weekend.
I'm down, I prefer PC or 360, PS3 PvP has terrible framerate and latency in my opinion. I have a lot of SL 100-125 builds on 360, a 125 and 100 on PC, and a SL 70 on PC as well. So PC is probably the best because of those characters Soul Level.
I'm down! I only have it on PC, so that gets my vote. SL70 sounds good, as Oberyn Martell is almost at that level. Never done PVP in the depths though - where is that usually done?

I'd be up for this weekend, if there's interest.

Warning: I'm pretty bad at PVP.

Best place in Depths is usually where the Giant Rat is.

patchday

Darkwraith PvP -

The lower you invade, the more action you see. On my SL 99 Darkwraith I can catch some action, especially at Ooacile Township (Duels) or sometimes invade the random high level dude working his way through a level. There are some dull time chunks inbetween though

I really liked invading at SL 60. People can defend themselves fairly well. Clerics finally get Wrath of the Gods, Mages might have the powerful stuff, etc.

As a darkwraith, I find all the areas are pretty good. I avoid the forest though. I find it way too chaotic personally. I'd rather be a forest hunter there. That way if another invade shows up he'll be "on your team". Two darkwraiths is a bad combo. I've learned the hard way its best to dispatch your fellow wraith 1st before going after the host.

I love being a Darkwraith but despise the others :)

Toxi

Banned
You know, when people complain about bullshit in the Lennie and George boss fight, they're usually wrong, but there is one thing that's bullshit: Luigi getting stuck behind Mario's fat ass. Nearly every death I've had has been due to a bullshit Roadrunner attack because he gets stuck behind Coyote and continues doing the attack animation for 10 seconds before Skull finally pathfinds around Bulk and stabs you in the dick.

solid mike

You know, when people complain about bullshit in the Lennie and George boss fight, they're usually wrong, but there is one thing that's bullshit: Luigi getting stuck behind Mario's fat ass. Nearly every death I've had has been due to a bullshit Roadrunner attack because he gets stuck behind Coyote and continues doing the attack animation for 10 seconds before Skull finally pathfinds around Bulk and stabs you in the dick.

Please explain the Coyote and Skull references, I got the previous ones.

Siegmeyer

I'm interested in organizing a GAF Dark Souls fight club....

I'd be down (PS3 only I'm afraid). I haven't done a great deal of PvP because for every good/enjoyable duel there are two or three against assholes.

I've got no problem getting thrashed against a good player, but getting lagstabbed/bowstabbed by some little teenager who then sends you a message telling you you suck is why I don't play much online games in general.

Soulhouf

I suggest:
The Depths
SL70
On a weekend.

That's a good idea.
It will be PS3 for me. I have the game on PC as well but I hate its feeling.

Roubjon

Is it a good idea to go with the elemental upgrade paths once my Longbow and Bandit's Knife reach +10? Or should I go with +15 raw? My build is basically going to be dumping most of my points into DEX, some END, and some VIT.

I love how I still have these types of questions even after playing the game for over 150 hours. What a freaking masterpiece of a game.

Toxi

Banned
Please explain the Coyote and Skull references, I got the previous ones.
Coyote and Roadrunner from Loony Tunes, Bulk and Skull from Power Rangers.

Is it a good idea to go with the elemental upgrade paths once my Longbow and Bandit's Knife reach +10? Or should I go with +15 raw? My build is basically going to be dumping most of my points into DEX, some END, and some VIT.

I love how I still have these types of questions even after playing the game for over 150 hours. What a freaking masterpiece of a game.
If you're dumping points into DEX, don't go elemental; elemental weapons don't scale off of DEX, they have high base damage. +15 or +14 are both better for a dex build.

Roubjon

Coyote and Roadrunner from Loony Tunes, Bulk and Skull from Power Rangers.

If you're dumping points into DEX, don't go elemental; elemental weapons don't scale off of DEX, they have high base damage. +15 or +14 are both better for a dex build.

That's what I thought, but then I read some GameFAQs threads that mentioned that I won't do as much damage in the long run if I do raw +15. I trust you guys more though.

Booshka

That's what I thought, but then I read some GameFAQs threads that mentioned that I won't do as much damage in the long run if I do raw +15. I trust you guys more though.

I'd imagine so, seeing as how Raw +15 doesn't exist. Raw caps at +5 and is in fact a terrible upgrade path. If you are relying on stat scaling, Normal +15 is the way to go.

Raw is a pretty bad upgrade path. Increases base damage than Normal, but worse stat scaling. Better to do +15 Normal if you have decent DEX, or just elemental and keep DEX at minimum.

Raw gets a pretty bad rap. Without spending any chunks or slabs you can get a weapon that is often in the +12 to +13 range (at raw +5), and it can still be buffed. It's a pretty good choice when you're low on the rarer materials and want to try out new weapons.

If we're instead working from an infinite materials perspective, go with crystal. Hardly anyone uses acid surge anyways.

Roubjon

Derp, I meant normal, not raw. Well thanks for all the advice though. I guess I'll stick with Normal +15 then. Maybe I'll make a lightning Rapier so I can feel badass as well.

Booshka

Derp, I meant normal, not raw. Well thanks for all the advice though. I guess I'll stick with Normal +15 then. Maybe I'll make a lightning Rapier so I can feel badass as well.

If you want to make an elemental weapon I would go with Fire or Chaos, not Lightning. Lightning uses the same upgrade materials as +15, so it's a big waste if you go Lightning when you should be going +15. If it is just for PvE then whatever though, I just find it impossible to waste a Titanite Slab on Lightning when that could have been +15.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom