• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silex

I just invaded someone for the first time, wearing the cat ring (had no idea invasions will happen on online players) and it was horrible. :(

LogicStep

I put 90+ hours into the vanilla game. I'm about to start a fresh run and see the dlc for the first time. Is the Uchigatana still awesome? That's my favorite play style, with a shield, be mobile, and pyromancy. How much str was all that I would need? And Intel or whatever it was. Maybe I can try something new, instead of pyromancy go with Int or Faith?

Roubjon

If you want to make an elemental weapon I would go with Fire or Chaos, not Lightning. Lightning uses the same upgrade materials as +15, so it's a big waste if you go Lightning when you should be going +15. If it is just for PvE then whatever though, I just find it impossible to waste a Titanite Slab on Lightning when that could have been +15.

Awesome, I'll make sure to do that instead.

I just invaded someone for the first time, wearing the cat ring (had no idea invasions will happen on online players) and it was horrible. :(
The forest covenant is kind of a free for all. I don't think there is level matching(?), so you could find yourself 3v1 with a bunch of SL125 vets etc.

I put 90+ hours into the vanilla game. I'm about to start a fresh run and see the dlc for the first time. Is the Uchigatana still awesome? That's my favorite play style, with a shield, be mobile, and pyromancy. How much str was all that I would need? And Intel or whatever it was. Maybe I can try something new, instead of pyromancy go with Int or Faith?
Uchi is 14/14 STR/DEX and you don't any INT for Pyromancy, increase it's power by upgrading the flame itself. Put points into Attunement for more slots (i.e. how many spells you can "equip"). 5 or 6 attunement slots is enough IMO for the average build.

Awesome. Is this still happening? If so, I'm down for PC. I have builds at most SLs, but 120 is best for me at least.

I think 5 or so people have expressed interest, some on PS3 and 360 too.

I'm down for some PVP tonight or tomorrow (PC), if anybody else is interested.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
saw this on reddit:
MwpOzDV.jpg

So far i was unable to recreate this, i want a Cyclops :(

I invaded someone tonight and saw this:

I kept using the beckon gesture to try and get him to come over and see it, but he didn't understand or didn't believe me or something, and just ended up killing me. Haha. Hopefully he went over and saw it later.

It was of cool to see it while invading, because I could get up close without having to kill it.

Banzai

I'm guessing PC will be the way to go for Dark Souls 2, huh? ugh i like to keep platforms separate but series together... so it already kinda annoys me that it will look weird on my shelf haha

Final boss spoilers:

How the hell do people think Gwyn is "easy," let alone easier than Manus? This is a guy who kills you instantly if you mess up by a few frames, and somehow, he's easier than a boss who clearly telegraphs every one of his attacks? As an agile character, I can't stand around trying to parry all day, Gwyn attacks too fast to let me cartwheel around him and two-hand like any previous boss, and my vitality isn't great, so I die instantly if I miss a parry and get caught in a combo. When he does his 3-4 combo, where he raises the sword with one hand, it gets me every time. I can't block all of the hits, it's not very practical to roll, and missing the parry is dead instantly. Gwyn is only easy by the same logic that any boss would be easy, wherein you already know how to exploit him, but he's nowhere near as simplistic or predictable as Nito or Manus, so I don't see how that qualifies him as "easy."

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Final boss spoilers:

How the hell do people think Gwyn is "easy," let alone easier than Manus? This is a guy who kills you instantly if you mess up by a few frames, and somehow, he's easier than a boss who clearly telegraphs every one of his attacks? As an agile character, I can't stand around trying to parry all day, Gwyn attacks too fast to let me cartwheel around him and two-hand like any previous boss, and my vitality isn't great, so I die instantly if I miss a parry and get caught in a combo. When he does his 3-4 combo, where he raises the sword with one hand, it gets me every time. I can't block all of the hits, it's not very practical to roll, and missing the parry is dead instantly. Gwyn is only easy by the same logic that any boss would be easy, wherein you already know how to exploit him, but he's nowhere near as simplistic or predictable as Nito or Manus, so I don't see how that qualifies him as "easy."

He's easy if you know the timing to parry his attacks

Tecl0n

Final boss spoilers:

What? Nito > Gwyn, if you don't know not to go near Nito's tomb where the skeleton reinforcements are, you are going to get ganked (Unless you have a divine weapon which would be prudent.) Gwyn is shield -> walk backwards -> hit him. Especially when you are bombarded with Black Knight Shields and their fire resistance just before the fight.

I killed Nito without a divine weapon. His skeletons are the only mildly threatening part of that fight, because Nito itself has incredibly slow and easily dodged attacks.

I also haven't had the shield drop. I've only gotten Greatswords and Chunks.

Mogwai

Final boss spoilers:

When Gwyn does his 4 hit combo, parry his third of fourth swing. I found these to be very easy to parry compared to the first and second. Also, if you dance around near Gwyn without kissing his face, he will often do his grab or a kick. It's easy to walk backwards to avoid it and then land a hit. Main thing is to not stand up in his face and take in the swings as they will drain your stamina sooner or later. Keeping that little distance from him is the key, really. He's quite easy to get to trigger the grab or the kick.

As for Manus. I hate him. I guess we all have personal preferences. I really need to study that son of a motherless ogre some more.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
i agree that if you dont know how to parry
Gwyn
is a pain in the ass, the guy is relentless, his attacks have a longer range and you will barely have time to heal up.

For me he's one of the 5 most difficult bosses in the game:
5- Gwyn
4- Four Kings
3- Kalameet
2- Ornstein & Smough
1- Manus

Final boss spoilers:

I found him really, really hard my first playthrough. Might just be I'm bad at parrying or something. But he's extremely aggressive, and rarely gives you time to stop and heal.

patchday

I cheesed Gwyn by keeping that large rock inbetween us. Gave me time to heal and breathe. I still found it a challenging fight. Granted back then I didnt know how to parry like I do now.

I wish speedrunners would find a better route than the BKH one, that didn't rely on a random drop. I enjoying watching Dark Soul's speedrunners stream, but it gets awfully boring when they are going for BKH and have to keep resetting over and over until they get it.

I wish speedrunners would find a better route than the BKH one, that didn't rely on a random drop. I enjoying watching Dark Soul's speedrunners stream, but it gets awfully boring when they are going for BKH and have to keep resetting over and over until they get it.

The thrill of watching Undead Asylum 5 times in half an hour.

What are some recommendations in stat investments for a greatsword character? I want to use the Black Knight Greatsword and Abyss Greatsword, but what should I be doing with my points?

Shengar

It's been two years since I owned my copy of Dark Souls. Time sure flies faster than arrow.
Its the online community for console still kicking?

Shengar

Still lots of summon signs and invasions on the 360

Good, I guess I could have a fresh start. Have yet to beat Artorias and other DLC bosses because many thing happened.

Which is better, STR or DEX build? I want to do no magic run since my first playthrough ever trivialized by grinding and Crystal Soul Spear.

Arjen

Good, I guess I could have a fresh start. Have yet to beat Artorias and other DLC bosses because many thing happened.

Which is better, STR or DEX build? I want to do no magic run since my first playthrough ever trivialized by grinding and Crystal Soul Spear.

Strength build with a lot of poise is basicly easy mode for pve

Sullichin

Is there any build that is viable for both PvE and PvP?

I bet you farmed a lot just like I did.

The only PVP builds I made that weren't great for PVE are ones that relied on faith weapon buffs for damage because you only get one cast of them. But really, they're not the best in PVP either against good players who will just wait it out. But the first time I went through the dlc I was dex/faith, and I had a really hard time against Kalameet and Manus once my sunlight blade ran out.
A 40str/40dex build is excellent for both PVP and PVE, you will be able to use almost any weapon the game throws at you effectively.
I agree with Arjen that Dex/INT is really effective too - really popular for PVP especially - but it's worth noting the DLC bosses have high magic resistance.

Shengar

Thanks for the input! I'll probably consider for dex/faith since my previous playthrough heavily focused on int. Which souls level the community usually active?

Amakusa

Been a few months since I played Dark souls, I've pumped over 200 game play hours over a number of different heros. Faith/dex build, str/faith builds, Dex/vit builds, so many different types. I've played whip style, duel wield style, fist weapon style, duel 2h weapon style, rapier duelist, bla bla bla.

I WANT DARK SOULS 2!!!

can someone give me hints that are non spoilery to get the good ending in dark souls?

Well...not really able to say anything about that that isn't at least a little bit spoilery.

Really, there isn't a good or bad ending to the game. It's arguable that both are the "bad" ending.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Soulsgaf! I need some advice.

I'm tempted to play Dark Souls on PC so I can see the game at it's best (I only own on PS3). What's holding me back is that the online is a big part of the game for me and I'm worried about the potential for cheaters on PC since I assume it's far easier there. Is it a widespread problem if I play online or is it a rare enough occurrence for me not to worry about it?

I'm tempted to play Dark Souls on PC so I can see the game at it's best (I only own on PS3). What's holding me back is that the online is a big part of the game for me and I'm worried about the potential for cheaters on PC since I assume it's far easier there. Is it a widespread problem if I play online or is it a rare enough occurrence for me not to worry about it?

Well, you are lucky to even get connected to PC so it's not so widespread :p just use DSFix to take backups regularly and cheaters won't be much of a problem.

I've played about 280 hours and only run into one or two hackers...I don't do much PVP/co-op, though.

The bigger problem is just getting connected in the first place. DSCFix helps, if you have someone specifically on your GFWL friends list that you want to play with.

It's more likely that you'll find a severe lack of players on PC, really. I'm trying to get Great Lightning Spear as quickly as possible, so I spent 2 hours helping people beat Gargoyles. Only got summoned 6 times.

Just beat the Super Londo Bros. on New Game Plus with Zweihander. Not actually that difficult, but really tense when Smough can kill you in one hit. I wish they had balanced NG+ so enemies had more health and slightly more damage, instead of a little more health and massively more damage.

Got the Pyro flame from Eingyi for the first time, just because I'd never done it. Didn't really think since it was the start of a Faith build, so I had to waste 3 points on INT to get it up to 11, but would've probably gone to 10 to get the bellowing ring from Griggs any way, so not a big deal.

nowai

Demon Ruins is just Kappa Demons and Ford Taurus Demonscopy/pasted into the level.

Holy shit that made me laugh far harder than it probably should have.

Currently in a coffee shop taking the first delicate sip of a very hot cup when I read it and fought hard not to spit take.

On topic, totally agree about the game post Anor Londo. I have played over 50 hours on PS3 and over 100 hours on PC. I love the Souls series, but the the end of Dark Souls is painfully bad.

Praise the sun for the DLC bosses!

With any luck, Dark Souls 2 will be much more consistent in quality. It feels like around 40% of the game isn't even that good. The drop-off in quality is way too noticeable, and I just went backwards through Blighttown to get the Iato, then back to the bonfire, and this area is even more atrocious than I remember. If you don't have poise, and were trying to use a spear, well fuck you. The spear hits mosquitos and fire dogs about 20% of the time, everything staggers you (I didn't go to get the Wolf Ring, which presumably most new players won't have anyway), it's absurdly difficult to tell where you're going, and enemies will randomly aggro when you haven't even been anywhere near them. I'm even lucky enough to be playing on a decent PC, but the way it performed before I upgraded my computer, and presumably performs on consoles, is completely unacceptable.

So hopefully From has learned a lot since Dark Souls.

ShaneDude

Guys..... the motherfucking Moonlight GreatSword+5!!!!! You have no idea how bad i was at pvp until i got that sword. The magic laser beams without fail will fuck someone's day up. Before i was lucky to win one pvp match in 20, but now i win 4 out of every five.

My SL94 build:

Vital:27
END:30
Int:44
With Cloranthy Ring,Havel's Ring
Grass Crest Shield +10
Mask of Child
Smoughs Gauntlets and Legs
Black Iron Amor +5
Spells: CSS,HCSM,Power Within and FIre Tempest

Edit: I pvp as a Forest Bro
WHat do you think?

Guys..... the motherfucking Moonlight GreatSword+5!!!!! You have no idea how bad i was at pvp until i got that sword. The magic laser beams without fail will fuck someone's day up. Before i was lucky to win one pvp match in 20, but now i win 4 out of every five.

My SL94 build:

Vital:27
END:30
Int:44
With Cloranthy Ring,Havel's Ring
Grass Crest Shield +10
Mask of Child
Smoughs Gauntlets and Legs
Black Iron Amor +5
Spells: CSS,HCSM,Power Within and FIre Tempest

Edit: I pvp as a Forest Bro
WHat do you think?

Just be careful, if you play against someone who's fought against the Moonlight Greatsword before, it'll be really hard to hit them. Once you understand the timing it's really easy to dodge.

That's cool that you've been winning matches! Keep it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom