• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Guys..... the motherfucking Moonlight GreatSword+5!!!!! You have no idea how bad i was at pvp until i got that sword. The magic laser beams without fail will fuck someone's day up. Before i was lucky to win one pvp match in 20, but now i win 4 out of every five.

My SL94 build:

Vital:27
END:30
Int:44
With Cloranthy Ring,Havel's Ring
Grass Crest Shield +10
Mask of Child
Smoughs Gauntlets and Legs
Black Iron Amor +5
Spells: CSS,HCSM,Power Within and FIre Tempest

Edit: I pvp as a Forest Bro
WHat do you think?

Come to the Burg, I'll throw down a Red Soapstone and we'll see if your Moonlight Greatsword+5 beats my base-SL5 Knight with a +15 Broadsword. I'll even record the fight.

I've actually been doing a lot of private PvP with extremely good players, even played against MartyrsBrigade99 a couple times, beat him twice, got owned many more than that.

The whole thing with gods still confuses me. Are the giants the same race as the "gods," just that they aren't nearly as powerful? What are Ornstein and Artorias, since both are bigger than humans but half the size of giants?

The whole thing with gods still confuses me. Are the giants the same race as the "gods," just that they aren't nearly as powerful? What are Ornstein and Artorias, since both are bigger than humans but half the size of giants?

Astorias and Ornstein are both Gwyns knights that Gwyn gave some secret sauce to enchance their powers (and presumably their size too).

Ruuppa

I thought there are about 3 races of Giants (alive) in the game:

Stone giants - Those guys you find at Sen's, the blacksmith and Gough. Pretty stupid altogether, with Gough being an exception.
Guardian giants - AL's guards in their cool armor. Smarter and more graceful than the stone giants but a bit smaller as well.
The gods - Kinda big, but smaller than the other giants and really smart with lotsa powers. Artorias, Gwyn, Ornstein etc. guys here.

Edit: Although the gods can really vary up in size for some reason. Chalk that up to magic I guess.

Arjen

I thought there are about 3 races of Giants (alive) in the game:

Stone giants - Those guys you find at Sen's, the blacksmith and Gough. Pretty stupid altogether, with Gough being an exception.
Guardian giants - AL's guards in their cool armor. Smarter and more graceful than the stone giants but a bit smaller as well.
The gods - Kinda big, but smaller than the other giants and really smart with lotsa powers. Artorias, Gwyn, Ornstein etc. guys here.

Edit: Although the gods can really vary up in size for some reason. Chalk that up to magic I guess.

Well gough is pretty stupid to. He thinks he's blind, but the oolacile folk just put resin in his helmet.

Glix

I got to Anor Londo last night. I left right away, I'm terrified. I'm @ 35 strength and 21 dex.

I have Stone Armor, and the Gold trimmed robes.

I have Black Knight Sword +2

I still can't defeat the big poison dragon in the Valley of Drakes.

I also can't defeat the wolf with the sword in his mouth.

Also get rocked by Tomb of the Giants.

I beat the big flaming boss guy and drained the lava but going down there was trouble and I left.

What should I be doing now, what is my focus? I have been doing this all blind, no wikis or anything, so my build, etc, may not be ideal. Help me GAF!

Booshka

I got to Anor Londo last night. I left right away, I'm terrified. I'm @ 35 strength and 21 dex.

I beat the big flaming boss guy and drained the lava but going down there was trouble and I left.

What should I be doing now, what is my focus? I have been doing this all blind, no wikis or anything, so my build, etc, may not be ideal. Help me GAF!

Anor Londo is where you need to go, stop leveling STR and DEX, focus on Vitality and Endurance. That weapon will do enough damage and you should be fine in Anor Londo. Everywhere else is probably harder for you right now.

Toxi

Banned
Well gough is pretty stupid to. He thinks he's blind, but the oolacile folk just put resin in his helmet.
Aha what, where is that info from?
Received as a decoration of knightly honor.
A helm crafted especially for the honorable Hawkeye Gough,
only the eye holes were packed with tree resin
by those who dismissed Gough as a brutish giant.

I have two possible explanations.

One is that Hawkeye Gough is naturally blind and the resin was put in his helm to mock that.

The other is that, for all of his wisdom and skill, Gough is a bit of a dumbass.

Both bosses in TotG and Demon Ruins are off limits at the moment, so as Booshka said, Anor Londo is the way you want to go. If you've backtracked some, think about upgrading your weapon as far as you can, it will help in AL. You can go back to the Asylum to get a few more Twinkling Titanite for that BK sword if you need it.
By exchanging some items with Snuggly

Glix

Both bosses in TotG and Demon Ruins are off limits at the moment, so as Booshka said, Anor Londo is the way you want to go. If you've backtracked some, think about upgrading your weapon as far as you can, it will help in AL. You can go back to the Asylum to get a few more Twinkling Titanite for that BK sword if you need it.
By exchanging some items with Snuggly

I'd love an asston more of twinkling titanite. The Asylum? How come that isn't ringing any bells? Educate me.

(and thanks for all the help, guys)

Should I be wearing the Stone Armor or the Gold Trim Robes? Everyone says Stone makes me too slow but it has been great so far...

I'd love an asston more of twinkling titanite. The Asylum? How come that isn't ringing any bells? Educate me.

The Asylum is where you start the game. If you want to figure out how to get back there on your own, here's just a small clue: remember how you got to Lordran in the first place.

Should I be wearing the Stone Armor or the Gold Trim Robes? Everyone says Stone makes me too slow but it has been great so far...
If you don't mind being slow and like the Stone set, keep using that, it's one of the best considering you get it so early - I like to mix and match armours to get some poise but also keep fast roll. Fast roll for life.

Oh, and you will very soon be able to buy Twinkling Titanite, if you stay on track to Anor Londo.

Lobos is doing a no heal, no bonfire, (which also means no leveling) speedrun right now:

http://www.twitch.tv/lobosjr

Pretty cool so far.

(This is the guy that's done all sorts of crazy runs. Like a blindfolded one, he has the world record for shield only, pike charge only, zoomed in bow for the entire game, fists only, broken sword only, etc.)

But he just did that, I thought. I was watching a recording of it last night that said 3 hours long.

Still makes you realize that nearly anywhere in Dark Souls is less than 10 minutes away from Firelink.

Glix

Ok, I trekked back to Anor Londo like you guys suggested. On the way I found some areas of Sen's that I hadn't found yet and
GOT THE KEY FOR THE SHORTCUT WOOOOOOOO

Thanks for all your guys help. One more question:

Whats the deal with humanity? At this point I only use it to reverse my hollowing so I can kindle my bonfire. Is there anything else I need to know about it?

Arjen

Ok, I trekked back to Anor Londo like you guys suggested. On the way I found some areas of Sen's that I hadn't found yet and
GOT THE KEY FOR THE SHORTCUT WOOOOOOOO

Thanks for all your guys help. One more question:

Whats the deal with humanity? At this point I only use it to reverse my hollowing so I can kindle my bonfire. Is there anything else I need to know about it?

Humanity in your counter improves resistances against curse for example. Some weapons get a bump in damage and you can feed it to some covenants for rewards like weapons and spells.

Humanity in your counter improves resistances against curse for example. Some weapons get a bump in damage and you can feed it to some covenants for rewards like weapons and spells.

The first 10 loose humanity you have (humanity in the upper left corner) also increases your item drop chance.

Humanity basics in addition to above:

Use the consumable item for a full HP restore. Every time you use the item, it adds 1 to the humanity count (big number top left). When you die, that humanity is in your bloodstain along with your souls, often it's more important to collect the bloodstain for the humanity than the souls if you have a lot.

Going human (reverse hollowing costs 1 humanity) opens you up to invasions and the ability to summon other players in to your world for co-op. You can still co-op in other people's world without going human - no progress is made in your world when in phantom form, but for every boss you defeat co-oping for others you get a chunk of souls and 1 humanity in the counter.

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/humanity

Man-serpents getting reckless in Sen's Funhouse:

C41C1C7EABC99409EF889366DB2CF8ACAA5132FA

And has anyone figured out from the geography if the big, bare tree visible from Firelink is the top of the Great Hollow? Since it's the only one of those trees visible from the surface.

Soulhouf

Apparently the community voted shields won't be in the game. The creators of them just get a special edition of the game.

Sad that the Tally Shield isn't making it in. =(

Are you sure?
I remember reading that the community will pick 2 shields from each region and From do the same.

Are you sure?
I remember reading that the community will pick 2 shields from each region and From do the same.

Yeah, the community votes won't be in the game.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=525860184153697

Fame and glory will shine forever on the talented creators listed below as the Dark Souls II development team selected their shields to be included in Dark Souls II. Their names will also be added to the game credits and they will receive a signed special edition of Dark Souls II.

In addition to FROM SOFTWARE’s selection, we are also pleased to confirm the 6 most preferred community shields as sorted by fans’ votes. Their creators will be granted with a special edition of Dark Souls II.

Zakkath

Sigh... I hope they do something to balance PvP in DS2. Rolling a lev 1 character with the ghost curse (my weapons did no dmg at all), bleed and poison weapons to invade lowbie players is very cheap trolling.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Just posting to say I love the Chaos Blade.

So, so awesome.

As slow as the 2hR2 is, I still manage to catch people with it... and it pancakes them lol!

Looking at your build, the biggest improvement you need to make is your gear. Once you beat Anor Lando, buy the Giant's Armor (much better/lighter than any other heavy armor once you level it up) and twinkling titanite and level up the armor and your BKS.

Also, since you drained the lava, you can get a helmet from Lost Izalith that lights up the Tomb of the Giants and makes the parts before Patches SO MUCH EASIER. Might require PB/PW world tendency though. Don't remember.

Leveling up your gear to +5 in all categories will make you an unstoppable tank. And get the Black Knight shield, too, if you can. Best medium shield in the game. Worth it to use some humanity to get the drop.

I roll with complete Giant Armor +5. Then I use either BKS +5 and Stone Shield or BKH +5 and BK shield +5. I really can't be stopped. Beat the final boss like he's Glass Joe.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Lobos is doing a no heal, no bonfire, (which also means no leveling) speedrun right now:

http://www.twitch.tv/lobosjr

Pretty cool so far.

(This is the guy that's done all sorts of crazy runs. Like a blindfolded one, he has the world record for shield only, pike charge only, zoomed in bow for the entire game, fists only, broken sword only, etc.)

Thanks for the tip, been watching the archived broadcast.

The catacombs part was hilarious, those wheel skeletons troll the heck out of him. When that lone skeleton parried him I broke down laughing lol.

The unofficial thread in Gaming was finally killed. RIP.

I'm trying to beat Smough (want Ornstein's set and spear) as a spear character. +10 Partizan takes quite a while to bring down Smough and I'm not going to use my chunks to upgrade the Lightning Spear. Should I just grind Silver Knight Spear to +5? I'm not going to do summons.

Booshka

The unofficial thread in Gaming was finally killed. RIP.

I'm trying to beat Smough (want Ornstein's set and spear) as a spear character. +10 Partizan takes quite a while to bring down Smough and I'm not going to use my chunks to upgrade the Lightning Spear. Should I just grind Silver Knight Spear to +5? I'm not going to do summons.

You should be able to beat them with just about any +10 weapon, but if you are having too much trouble, just upgrade the SKS and beat em that way.

VALKRAY and his cheating led to so much salt that the thread was finally killed.

I got SKS to +4 and beat Smough without taking any hits. But Mega Ornstein and spears do not mix.

The Dragonslayer spear is neat and all, but do I need to level Faith to get the most out of it? It has pretty low damage even fully upgraded, so I guess its thing is that it scales with 3 stats?

Booshka

I got SKS to +4 and beat Smough without taking any hits. But Mega Ornstein and spears do not mix.

The Dragonslayer spear is neat and all, but do I need to level Faith to get the most out of it? It has pretty low damage even fully upgraded, so I guess its thing is that it scales with 3 stats?
Dragonslayer Spear is terrible unless you want to level STR to 27, and DEX+FAI to 40. Like a lot of the Boss weapons, it requires way too much stat investment to be decent. And it also does split damage so it stays terrible unless you hit like SL 300 with Scaling.

Just use the Silver Knight Spear with 40 dex, or the Pike +15 with a Quality build if you want a really good Spear.

I'm not really concerned with making the best character, I'm just playing a character who uses a bunch of spears. Otherwise I'd start over and put more points into dexterity. But this one does seem particularly lacking even among boss weapons.

I've already put enough points into Strength to go for Quality. The pike charge seems to be really bad at actually hitting anything though.

Toxi

Banned
The Partizan is better than the Silver Knight Spear for facing Mega Ornstein; its horizontal sweeps can hit his legs if locked on.

Alternatively, you could try not locking on, although it's difficult to learn how to play that way.

The real prize for beating Ornstein with a spear user isn't his soul, it's the Leo Ring.

Divius

I was getting all angry that the other thread was closed but it never crossed my mind it wasn't the OT. Anyway, subscribing. A mod could have at least posted a link to this thread in there.

Booshka

I was getting all angry that the other thread was closed but it never crossed my mind it wasn't the OT. Anyway, subscribing. A mod could have at least posted a link to this thread in there.

that thread should have just been more posts in this thread months ago.

It's cool to have a Gaming side thread, but the initial purpose of that thread ended a couple pages after it was created.

Arjen

So last night i encountered an invader who threw lloyd talismans at me, but popped humanity himself al the freakin time. I don't know if i think he's smart or a cunt.

Divius

So last night i encountered an invader who threw lloyd talismans at me, but popped humanity himself al the freakin time. I don't know if i think he's smart or a cunt.
I was invaded by someone in Ariamis who threw a lloyd talisman at me, but since I was out of Estus and dying from toxic (he could not have invaded at a worse time) I popped a humanity. He messaged me afterwards: "finally someone who knows that a lloyd talisman does!" while I actually had no idea and was using humanity as a last resort. lol. edit: Arjen what is your steam account?

that thread should have just been more posts in this thread months ago.

It's cool to have a Gaming side thread, but the initial purpose of that thread ended a couple pages after it was created.
Oh I agree, it was just so active that I never even thought about there being an OT.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
VALKRAY and his cheating led to so much salt that the thread was finally killed.

Dang... I am sorry for my part on that...

Would been nice if the mod closing it would have pointed to this thread at least =(

Anyways, maybe now the official thread will see some action ;D

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I have been watching speedruns quite a bit lately (twitch), which is very entertaining. Most of them go RTSR, which makes for some tense watching. Unbelievable how they get past boss after boss not getting hit. Plus, they need to get hit enough before every fight, which can go wrong as well. The patience/skill of these guys is impressive. I've yet to see a complete run though. As skilled as they are, the deaths (and stupid mistakes) still come. I watched this Swedish guy (Elajjaz) getting a really good run, then casting hidden body instead of dark bead against four kings ( watch here). The pain! Or just plain bad luck: he got 4 screams at the start of the Nito fight.

Arjen

I was invaded by someone in Ariamis who threw a lloyd talisman at me, but since I was out of Estus and dying from toxic (he could not have invaded at a worse time) I popped a humanity. He messaged me afterwards: "finally someone who knows that a lloyd talisman does!" while I actually had no idea and was using humanity as a last resort. lol. edit: Arjen what is your steam account?

I don't have one, i'm on 360

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom