• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was invaded by someone in Ariamis who threw a lloyd talisman at me, but since I was out of Estus and dying from toxic (he could not have invaded at a worse time) I popped a humanity. He messaged me afterwards: "finally someone who knows that a lloyd talisman does!" while I actually had no idea and was using humanity as a last resort. lol. edit: Arjen what is your steam account?

Oh I agree, it was just so active that I never even thought about there being an OT.
Lol it says it right on the tin. "Stops use of estus". It also has the awesome effect of putting Mimics to sleep.

That sucked indeed.

What does R&G/RNG mean/what does it stand for? I've heard it before in DS videos. It's like the behavior of the enemies right?

edit: wow kalameet was down FAST

RNG just means random number generator. Basically the random factor that decides what attack an enemy uses. It exists in any game where there's an element of randomness. He was saying that it was because the dog decides to attack in a certain way that it normally doesn't that it ended up killing him.

Soulhouf

That sucked indeed.

What does R&G/RNG mean/what does it stand for? I've heard it before in DS videos. It's like the behavior of the enemies right?

edit: wow kalameet was down FAST

Random Number Generator.
Everything based on dice rolling to define a behavior.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Holy shit that ghost.

Even with all the crap that happened, his time still was only 1m + WR. He had an insane time before the dog, shame.

eot

Banned
Last time I played I rang the first bell. I went back to the blacksmith to take care of some tings and found a huge ass scorpion looking thing that shot lightning. Decided to see what he was like, and I managed to take him down. He hit pretty hard but at the same time his attacks were fairly easy to avoid. Then I went into the forest area just past that and a walking plant/tree/something (didn't look at him long enough to see) came out of fucking nowhere so I legged it. That place seemed too scary to be where I'm supposed to go.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Everyone who followed the newbie thread might be happy for me: Finally beaten O&S after a week off, and on the second try afterwards. While being hollow. I feel so relieved :)

Divius

Last time I played I rang the first bell. I went back to the blacksmith to take care of some tings and found a huge ass scorpion looking thing that shot lightning. Decided to see what he was like, and I managed to take him down. He hit pretty hard but at the same time his attacks were fairly easy to avoid. Then I went into the forest area just past that and a walking plant/tree/something (didn't look at him long enough to see) came out of fucking nowhere so I legged it. That place seemed too scary to be where I'm supposed to go.
You could explore that forest, it's a fun place. You could go ring the second bell in
Blighttown
, not a fun place.

Everyone who followed the newbie thread might be happy for me: Finally beaten O&S after a week off, and on the second try afterwards. While being hollow. I feel so relieved :)
Sweet! Nice one. Which one did you kill first?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
You could explore that forest, it's a fun place. You could go ring the second bell in
Blighttown
, not a fun place.

Sweet! Nice one. Which one did you kill first?

Smough, picked at him with some crystal halberd which barely survived the fight, but was a fantastic high damage long range weapon for this encounter. Then spent ages and 3 humanity slicing Ornsteins health off with my crappy sword :)

God I'm so glad I finally made it. Now begins the big quest of "where to go next".

I've started a level 1 playthrough. Pyromancy isn't particularly effective at the moment given how slow it is, though it's probably vital to have it fully ascended on NG+'s. And one of the best weapons in the entire game seems to be a piece of wood with nails in it. Should be useful against Ornstein, given how stagger-prone he is.

Nice going, Bufbaf! Do you feel like the biggest man in all of Anor Londo? 'Tis a great fight, O&S. And you've still got Artorias waiting for you, too. Oh, the humanity.

MORE GOOD NEWS (plus a question): I had no idea that Covenant status carried over to NG+. Red Eye Orb 4 life.

Question: given my current Dickwraith status, will my covenant with the Dickwraiths end if I give the Lordvessel to Peter Frampton and never see Kaath, or will it persist?

The forest is OK to explore early. There is a very easy boss in there that nets a quick chunk of souls plus a fair bit of useful loot. Lots of nooks and crannies to explore.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Crud, I was running towards a merchant and my phone went off, so I grabbed it.
During that transition, I slipped the R2 and demolished her.

I guess I'll move onto clearing the game now...

eot

Banned
Blighttown
, not a fun place.

I ran around there for a while. The tree dudes weren't too bad, but the bigger guys who do that weird magic trick on you were tougher. The boss was super easy though, even for my pure melee character. I tried going to the other part of the forest too. Found a lake with something real bad in it so I tried fighting the guy in the tower leading to Undead Burg instead, since I got the key for it. Turns out he would one-shot me even through a block, but after maybe four or five tries I finally got him. The ring he dropped was pretty sick, but it still wasn't enough to let me wear a heavier armor without taking a movement penalty.

Also found another ring that gives poise. No idea what that is. Then I went back the other way, managed to kill a knight and found what looked like a decent shield, but every single one I've found has less than 100 physical damage reduction. It seems silly that I'm stuck using a stupid hollow soldier shield. I took the elevator down to someplace with lots of blue/purple drakes. Fought one for a while, then he took to the air, flew down a ravine and died, which was weird, but good because it let me ninja-loot the bridge he was guarding. There was some leather armor type stuff there, but again it didn't seem better than what I already had. It's hard to compare because the stuff you find isn't upgraded, but I would've expected to find something better by now (using some black leather stuff I found before Capra Demon).

A few questions:
What does the status symbol that looks like three green arrows pointing up mean?
I was doing 204 backstab damage on the guys with the red coats earlier, now with the same weapon I'm doing 195 consistently and I have no clue why. Does weapon durability affect damage?
Are shields even worth upgrading?

I ran around there for a while. The tree dudes weren't too bad, but the bigger guys who do that weird magic trick on you were tougher. The boss was super easy though, even for my pure melee character. I tried going to the other part of the forest too. Found a lake with something real bad in it so I tried fighting the guy in the tower leading to Undead Burg instead, since I got the key for it. Turns out he would one-shot me even through a block, but after maybe four or five tries I finally got him. The ring he dropped was pretty sick, but it still wasn't enough to let me wear a heavier armor without taking a movement penalty.

Also found another ring that gives poise. No idea what that is. Then I went back the other way, managed to kill a knight and found what looked like a decent shield, but every single one I've found has less than 100 physical damage reduction. It seems silly that I'm stuck using a stupid hollow soldier shield. I took the elevator down to someplace with lots of blue/purple drakes. Fought one for a while, then he took to the air, flew down a ravine and died, which was weird, but good because it let me ninja-loot the bridge he was guarding. There was some leather armor type stuff there, but again it didn't seem better than what I already had. It's hard to compare because the stuff you find isn't upgraded, but I would've expected to find something better by now (using some black leather stuff I found before Capra Demon).

A few questions:
What does the status symbol that looks like three green arrows pointing up mean?
I was doing 204 backstab damage on the guys with the red coats earlier, now with the same weapon I'm doing 195 consistently and I have no clue why. Does weapon durability affect damage?

That guy in the tower with the huge club is Havel, just in case you hear about him again. You can't talk to him or anything, he's just a unique Hollow with some backstory. What armor are you trying to wear? Sometimes armor is helpful (Havel's armor, which you can find much later, is ridiculous for tanking), but generally it's not really something to fret about outside of PvP, where very specific stats matter.

Poise basically affects you ability to not be interrupted. If you have high poise, your attacks basically can't be interrupted except by particularly powerful attacks. It also applies to healing and just walking around. As for shields, the ones that don't have 100% physical reduction have other abilities. The one you found was probably the Grass Crest Shield, which has good magic defense, and is probably also the cause of those 3 green arrows.

VALKYRAY

Banned
Poise is essential. Wolf ring is one of the must use ring if you going to use light gears, which offers you low to no poise, for better mobility. so you won't be staggered to death by enemies

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Also found another ring that gives poise. No idea what that is.

A few questions:

If you read the item flavor text you will learn about the items, in the case of the grass crest shield, it tells you about the stamina regeneration. This is important, items like keys contain clues in the text description on where the doors they open are.

Poise determines how many and what kind of hits you can take before staggering. It's even more important than armor defense in my opinion.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Bumpy bump? Thanks, GAF.

Just guessing, I don't think it will expel you from the covenant but it will prevent you from accessing Kaathe.

Before you ask why should you, feed him 80 humanities and the dark hand will drain 10 humanities per hit... lovely to use on unsuspecting AFK'ers ;D

Just guessing, I don't think it will expel you from the covenant but it will prevent you from accessing Kaathe.

Before you ask why should you, feed him 80 humanities and the dark hand will drain 10 humanities per hit... lovely to use on unsuspecting AFK'ers ;D

Spanks, man.

Ha. 80?! God, that sounds tedious. And excuse the dumb question, but what is an AFK'er?

eot

Banned
If you read the item flavor text you will learn about the items, in the case of the grass crest shield, it tells you about the stamina regeneration. This is important, items like keys contain clues in the text description on where the doors they open are.

Poise determines how many and what kind of hits you can take before staggering. It's even more important than armor defense in my opinion.

I usually read them, must've missed it for some reason.

Went into the depths, was going to fight the rat but fell into a hole and things just got worse from there. I got to the boss but died more or less right away. Tried to fight the rat twice after that, but he did tons of damage. Could probably cheese him with a bow, but I fell down the waterfall instead. Got the Gaping ****** to about 50% health the second time. That whole place a real shithole. I'm curious how much worse blighttown could possibly be.

Went into the depths, was going to fight the rat but fell into a hole and things just got worse from there. I got to the boss but died more or less right away. Tried to fight the rat twice after that, but he did tons of damage. Could probably cheese him with a bow, but I fell down the waterfall instead. Got the Gaping ****** to about 50% health the second time. That whole place a real shithole. I'm curious how much worse blighttown could possibly be.

All of Blighttown is basically the Gaping Dragon on steroids - Taurus Demon steroids.

:)

EDIT: Is it just me, or does the Gaping Dragon not even bother to direct its attacks at you? I really don't think it's fanciful to say that it's easier to kill than Pinwheel.
And thanks, Bitmap. Haven't come across many of them to be honest; and I've been extremely humanity rich for a while now, so I've not even thought to pull out the Dark Hand.

The Gaping Dragon just takes a really long time to kill, has huge range with its tail swipe (which you'll cut off anyway), and can kill you instantly if you're in front of it when it lumbers forward. But its attacks themselves aren't very threatening. Just two-hand your weapon, wait for it to lean back and then slam forward. Then just run behind it and attack its tail (its rear once that gets knocked off).

And Blighttown is terrible. You can't even run past the enemies because you don't know where you're going, constant poison and toxic, bullshit hitboxes that will get you killed even with a slashing weapon (mosquitos and fire dogs), and atrocious framerate.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
After I figured out how to unlock the Framerate to constant 30 fps with Durante's fix, I actually really liked Blighttown :3

Thought it was a nice change of pace after all the dungeony dungeons.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
So I found Patches, but I didn't talk to him before he did his thing.
Will he be hostile when I get back to him?

If you haven't killed the Gaping Dragon yet, it's worth reverse hollowing at the bonfire (returning to human form) and going through part of the level again - there is an NPC invader who will drop unique loot and a nice chunk of souls. There are a few NPC invaders in the game like this, and they will not appear after you defeat that areas boss (same as human invaders). Also the Depths is the perfect early place to farm a little humanity what with all the rats.

And since you should now have the large ember, I would make it a priority to take that to someone who might be able to use it and thus upgrade your weapon even further - which will help with Gaping obv. but also is more important for Blighttown and onwards.

If you're having problems with Gaping, there are two NPC co-op phantoms you can summon. Human phantoms can often be very OP, so I don't think it's always the best to summon them on your first playthrough, but it's all help isn't it :)

So I found Patches, but I didn't talk to him before he did his thing.
Will he be hostile when I get back to him?
He only goes hostile if you answe yes to being a cleric (whether you are or not).
If he turns the bridge in the Catacombs, speak to him afterwards and he will give you a humanity if you answer correctly (I think it's if you don't accept his apology) - same in TotG but it's a twin humanity.

eot

Banned
If you haven't killed the Gaping Dragon yet, it's worth reverse hollowing at the bonfire (returning to human form) and going through part of the level again - there is an NPC invader who will drop unique loot and a nice chunk of souls. There are a few NPC invaders in the game like this, and they will not appear after you defeat that areas boss (same as human invaders). Also the Depths is the perfect early place to farm a little humanity what with all the rats.

And since you should now have the large ember, I would make it a priority to take that to someone who might be able to use it and thus upgrade your weapon even further - which will help with Gaping obv. but also is more important for Blighttown and onwards.

If you're having problems with Gaping, there are two NPC co-op phantoms you can summon. Human phantoms can often be very OP, so I don't think it's always the best to summon them on your first playthrough, but it's all help isn't it :)

I'll see if I can find him, just going to grind some souls for a healing spell since that guy with the morning star in firelink shrine has started selling stuff to me now. I did also find a large ember which I think I know where to bring. Everyone has been telling me to get lightning weapons though :p. My weapon is also just +5, do I need to get it to +10 before I can ascend it? edit: nvm

You won't be able to make weapons lightning for a good while yet, but can buy a limited number of pine resins (for temp. lightning on your weapon) from the merchant in the Depths. It's worth taking your weapon as high as possible regardless of if you choose to make it elemental just for the damage increase - And elemental weapons have their +'s and -'s, namely early on elemental weapons will give you a nice damage boost (yay!), but later on due to the split damage (say 50% lightning/fire 50% physical) and a complete lack of scaling to your own stats you could be far worse off with elemental (boo!).

It's always best to work towards one or two back-up weapons any way for a choice (say you have a fire weapon, well it's gonna suck against fire-based enemies! So switching it out for a purely physical back-up weapon is better)

Toxi

Banned
A few questions:
Weapon durability only has an effect at very low durabilities (with the "Weapon at risk" message). I think the damage difference you experienced is something else. There are two kinds of red-caped knights; those with large shields and those with rapiers. The ones with rapiers have better armor values for some reason and take less damage.

eot

Banned
Ah I see. One more question (sorry :p)
I've been using a Scimitar for most of the game so I haven't put any points into strength. I know there are some other dex weapons with higher base damage, like the katana you get for killing the first merchant, but the strength requirement is also higher. My impression so far is that there aren't a lot of items that are straight up better than other ones, so I'm a little hesitant to spend 3+ points in str and upgrade a weapon 5+ times only to find that the attack speed difference makes up for the damage (or whatever the case may be). Basically I'm wondering if I'm fine without all those higher str weapons.

Hobobloke

Question: given my current Dickwraith status, will my covenant with the Dickwraiths end if I give the Lordvessel to Peter Frampton and never see Kaath, or will it persist?

Just confirming what Bitmap said was right, you'll retain your covenant status and he'll simply be unavailable that play through.

My favourite bit of the Dark Hand is how NPC's don't even mind for the most part.

A few questions:

The three green arrows pointing up mean increased stamina regeneration.

Shields are worth upgrading when you find one you want to use but it shouldn't be as big of a priority as weapons. When upgrading a shield all you're looking for is increased stability which determines how much stamina you lose when you block an attack, titanite shards will seem fairly expendable soon enough so there's no reason not to throw a few upgrades into a shield you use.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I've been using a Scimitar for most of the game so I haven't put any points into strength. I know there are some other dex weapons with higher base damage, like the katana you get for killing the first merchant, but the strength requirement is also higher. My impression so far is that there aren't a lot of items that are straight up better than other ones, so I'm a little hesitant to spend 3+ points in str and upgrade a weapon 5+ times only to find that the attack speed difference makes up for the damage (or whatever the case may be). Basically I'm wondering if I'm fine without all those higher str weapons.

There are better weapons than others...

But to asnwer your question, 3-5 points of strength to meet reqs is nothing.

It's not only about damage vs. swing speed, there's also other considerations like reach, moveset, poise break...

The Falchion, which you can find in Blighttown, is actually a straight upgrade to the Scimitar. More damage, better reach, and exactly the same moveset. One of the only cases where a weapon is clearly superior.

The Uchigatana has some of the highest base attack stats of dexterity weapons, and it inflicts bleed. But it's slightly slower and has less horizontal range than the Scimitar/ Falchion. As for stat investments, you can easily reach 40 dexterity (which is essentially the max, because the stat gains drop off enormously from there) after putting the points necessary into strength to wield it. For the majority of weapons, it just comes down to which moveset and properties (Bleed, reach, poise) you prefer.

DJ_Lae

He only goes hostile if you answe yes to being a cleric (whether you are or not).
If he turns the bridge in the Catacombs, speak to him afterwards and he will give you a humanity if you answer correctly (I think it's if you don't accept his apology) - same in TotG but it's a twin humanity.

Haha, I got the humanities from him but was annoyed enough the second time that after he tried to appease me I kicked him off his little ledge then hopped down and killed him.

He had it coming.

Toxi

Banned
I'd put the extra 3 points into strength anyway, if only so that you can have some experience with other dexterity weapons (Uchi, Great Scythe, etc.); it's fun having more weapon variety. Don't level beyond what you need to wield the weapon, though.

As said before, the Falchion is better than the Scimitar in basically every way. However, that doesn't mean you shouldn't keep the Scimitar; later on in the game, there is a blacksmith who can use the souls of bosses to make unique weapons out of +10 normal weapons. You can upgrade the Scimitar into something that isn't strictly worse than the Falchion there and use that as well as the Falchion. :-D

Divius

Why the fuck cant I stagger Artorias when he's charging on NG+? Did his poise go up or something? (also yes I have some weak ass weapons, so maybe that could be it)

Booshka

Why the fuck cant I stagger Artorias when he's charging on NG+? Did his poise go up or something? (also yes I have some weak ass weapons, so maybe that could be it)

2 hand your weapon and you will stagger him much easier. If you still aren't staggering, use a stronger weapon or upgrade your current one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom