• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 hand your weapon and you will stagger him much easier. If you still aren't staggering, use a stronger weapon or upgrade your current one.

Worth mentioning that it's a lot easier to stagger him with a +15 weapon than a split damage weapon. I learned that lesson well on my first playthrough.

Here's hoping they make split damage a little more useful in DSII...or forget the concept of splitting the damage all together and find a more practical way to implement elemental weapons.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Here's hoping they make split damage a little more useful in DSII...or forget the concept of splitting the damage all together and find a more practical way to implement elemental weapons.
Uh, elemental weapons are already OP in the early game. They become obsolete later, but that's the point, you want weapons that scale with your levelling up stats instead.

Uh, elemental weapons are already OP in the early game. They become obsolete later, but that's the point, you want weapons that scale with your levelling up stats instead.

Should have specified that I meant mid-late game, as that's most players' PVP sweet spot.

Also that I meant divine and magic weapons moreso than lightning or chaos.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Butterfly down, Pinwheel down. Successful day. That giants world thingie looks mighty hard though, the first skeleton guy downed me :) So much to explore left, and no idea where to go next :D

Toxi

Banned
You need heavy weapons for stagger.
Like great and ultra swords, large club and axe
You can stagger Artorias just fine with a light weapon in my experience.

If you're still having trouble staggering him, Divius, you might want to grab a bow and some arrows. A single headshot will break his charge.

Soulhouf

Also that I meant divine and magic weapons moreso than lightning or chaos.

They should at least add some effects like in Demon's Souls (HP/MP regeneration style).
But a magic user isn't meant to be as powerful as a physical user in melee (they have their magic). That's why I don't consider it unfair to give these builds upgrades not that powerful.

Sullichin

They should at least add some effects like in Demon's Souls (HP/MP regeneration style).
But a magic user isn't meant to be as powerful as a physical user in melee (they have their magic). That's why I don't consider it unfair to give these builds upgrades not that powerful.

Still, i want to be able to make a spellsword whose weapons scale only with magic/intelligence, like Demon's, instead of the comprably crappy magic/enchanted paths in Dark Souls. MLGS is one of the only good melee weapons for INT characters, it would be cool to be able to make any weapon pure magic damage.

Booshka

Still, i want to be able to make a spellsword whose weapons scale only with magic/intelligence, like Demon's, instead of the comprably crappy magic/enchanted paths in Dark Souls. MLGS is one of the only good melee weapons for INT characters, it would be cool to be able to make any weapon pure magic damage.

Yea I agree with this, Enchanted and Occult upgrade paths should essentially make the weapon pure Magic damage. Full elemental is good, shown by the power of the Moonlight Greatsword, but the split of magic/phys is pretty underwhelming.

You can always make a +15 weapon and get most of your damage via the buff anyway. Then swap to Occult/Enchanted versions after your buff runs out. It would make Melee with Int/Faith builds more viable, instead of just relying on OP spells and a temporary weapon buff.

Pure Physical should always do more consistent damage in straight melee, but Battlemage/Cleric should be more viable.

VALKYRAY

Banned
For my intel 50 mage, I just use a rapier enchanted +5 as melee weapon. I only have enough dex and str to use the weapon, no extra points spent here. Any foe that can be backstabbed will die in 1 hit with the exception of final boss. I use magic on all bosses and tough enemies that can't be backstabbed or parried. If I want a boss tailcut, max pyro firestorm or combustion will do the trick
This build makes the game a joke.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
For my intel 50 mage, I just use a rapier enchanted +5 as melee weapon. I only have enough dex and str to use the weapon, no extra points spent here. Any foe that can be backstabbed will die in 1 hit with the exception of final boss. I use magic on all bosses and tough enemies that can't be backstabbed or parried. If I want a boss tailcut, max pyro firestorm or combustion will do the trick
This build makes the game a joke.

You cannot backstab the final boss...

eot

Banned
As said before, the Falchion is better than the Scimitar in basically every way. However, that doesn't mean you shouldn't keep the Scimitar; later on in the game, there is a blacksmith who can use the souls of bosses to make unique weapons out of +10 normal weapons. You can upgrade the Scimitar into something that isn't strictly worse than the Falchion there and use that as well as the Falchion. :-D

Well I did find a Falchion not too long ago, I'll try upgrading it a bit. I don't have very many Large Titanite though. Also trying to figure out which armor I should stick with. I found some red sorcerer clothes which seem to have quite good stats, but don't look that great. Found the shadow set as well which looks better, but has pretty meh stats. It's super light, but my endurance isn't that bad.

I killed Gaping Dragon, he wasn't too hard actually, nearly fell off the ledge though. Got pretty confused when I got to Blighttown. For having so many ladders they're surprisingly well hidden. I shot the squid looking thing with my bow because I could, found my way down to the bottom and eventually I started seeing some messages for a bonfire, but as it turns out I was going the wrong way because all those people had entered Blighttown from the other end. Tried to walk on a giant tree that looked like a makeshift bridge, but I fell off it every time (lots of falling off stuff in that place).

Exploring that swap was pretty annoying, constantly getting poisoned. I found the spider cave but just the maggots in there almost killed me, so I decided to kindle the bonfire. About five seconds later I got invaded for the first time. I was pretty defeatist about it, I just ran into the swamp to poison myself, but whoever showed up didn't have any armor at all so I actually killed him/her and I think I got about 10k souls from it, but maybe that was from something else. Anyway, it was pretty great. Then I went to fight the spider lady, who seemed to have nigh on infinite health. I got her down to about 15% but ran out of Estus Flasks. I still had a healing miracle left though which I just barely had the time to get off. Close fights are the best! There was an area beyond but it looked really nasty so I left it.

I also found a second fire keeper soul. Considering what a pain it is to get out of that place I decided to hold off on upgrading until I was done there. When I got back up however... that was a bummer. Is the Black Eye Orb one time use?

Also:
I pretty much know I'm supposed to go to Anor Londo and Sen's fortress, the blacksmith talked about it and obviously the gate is open, but there are at least three other places I can think of that I haven't been to at all. For example I know that the lady who showed up got trapped in the Catacombs beyond the graveyard, I'd like to see what's up there.

Toxi

Banned
Great job beating Quelaag, eot! She's a bit of a damage sponge.

When I got back up however... that was a bummer. Is the Black Eye Orb one time use?
Black Orb can be used however many times it takes before you kill whoever killed the Fire Keeper and get back her soul.

Also:
I pretty much know I'm supposed to go to Anor Londo and Sen's fortress, the blacksmith talked about it and obviously the gate is open, but there are at least three other places I can think of that I haven't been to at all. For example I know that the lady who showed up got trapped in the Catacombs beyond the graveyard, I'd like to see what's up there.
It's your own choice; the Catacombs are a pain in the ass, but the boss provides something pretty awesome that will make Sen's Fortress and Anor Londo easier. Also, you might see something interesting while you're walking into the graveyard.

Sen's Fortress is tough, but it has tons of Large Titanite Shards in case you're looking for them. It's also a lot less easy to get lost in it than in the Catacombs, and the level has so many surprises that it's really fun if you don't know what's coming.

Either place you go, I recommend spending all your souls before entering, since you probably will die a few times as you're getting used to the new threats.

Well I did find a Falchion not too long ago, I'll try upgrading it a bit. I don't have very many Large Titanite though. Also trying to figure out which armor I should stick with. I found some red sorcerer clothes which seem to have quite good stats, but don't look that great. Found the shadow set as well which looks better, but has pretty meh stats. It's super light, but my endurance isn't that bad.

Exploring that swap was pretty annoying, constantly getting poisoned. I found the spider cave but just the maggots in there almost killed me, so I decided to kindle the bonfire. About five seconds later I got invaded for the first time. I was pretty defeatist about it, I just ran into the swamp to poison myself, but whoever showed up didn't have any armor at all so I actually killed him/her and I think I got about 10k souls from it, but maybe that was from something else. Anyway, it was pretty great. Then I went to fight the spider lady, who seemed to have nigh on infinite health. I got her down to about 15% but ran out of Estus Flasks. I still had a healing miracle left though which I just barely had the time to get off. Close fights are the best! There was an area beyond but it looked really nasty so I left it.

I also found a second fire keeper soul. Considering what a pain it is to get out of that place I decided to hold off on upgrading until I was done there. When I got back up however... that was a bummer. Is the Black Eye Orb one time use?

Also:

That's an NPC invasion. There are a couple of them, one guy even invades you 3 times. The Crimson sealer armor is probably the best light armor in the game, but if you're light-rolling, you'll take so much damage from attacks that it barely matters. You should be more concerned with not getting hit at all, because armor stats (excluding poise) aren't even all that helpful.

For Fire Keeper souls, you'll get a chance to upgrade right away in Anor Londo, and there's another one in Blighttown, but you should probably find it yourself.

Anor Londo isn't the end of the game. You'll need to explore those areas after it anyway, so don't worry about them. The Catacombs are basically a maze of respawning skeletons, the dreaded wheel skeleton biker gang, and if you get through there, the next area is even worse. You won't have much fun.

And when you go to Sen's Funhouse, learn to parry the man-serpents. They do a horizontal attack that's really easy to parry, and they're pretty prone to leaving themselves open for backstabs. The moving pendulums and the boulders are the biggest threat in the fortress once you have the enemies figured out.

I watch Lobos challenge runs a lot, but what does "fresh start" mean?

Using cheat engine to start the game at NG+7 directly at the start. Normal NG+7 runs means that you have to run through the game 6 times before that, and you'll either have all the gear you need (for an SL1) or be a ridiculously high level otherwise.

A fresh start means you start with the same stuff as you do in a regular NG, making the first section of the game extremely hard.

eot

Banned
Oh wait I misread. I did find the soul, I thought you said I could upgrade my flasks there as well. I'm bad.

eot

Banned
You didn't misread. There's another firekeeper in Blighttown.

It took a while but thanks to some notes I eventually found her :d this is some real metroid type stuff with all the random spots to attack walls. While re-exploring Blighttown I also found the key to New Londo (don't know how I missed it) as well as that hollow tree you can enter, but when I dropped down to collect a thing I ended up getting cursed so I'll save that place for some other time.

I'd heard that there's a firekeeper soul you can get early, so I spent some time exploring New Londo looking for it. Apparently the guy by Firelink Shrine went crazy so I had to kill him. A shame because he was fun to talk to, and he didn't even drop anything. Fighting the ghosts wasn't too bad except when they came through the walls. I found a guy and a ring, but no firekeeper soul. Briefly checked out the Catacombs as well but I'm not sure how to deal with infinitely respawning skeletons. Maybe I'll get a thing that prevents them from doing that.

Oh and a giant head showed up by that altar with the water in it. He didn't attack me though, curious to see what's up with him.

I found a guy and a ring, but no firekeeper soul. Briefly checked out the Catacombs as well but I'm not sure how to deal with infinitely respawning skeletons. Maybe I'll get a thing that prevents them from doing that.
New Londo:
It's right at the start. Just before you get to the first two ghosts, look to your right. You can get it even before the water is drained
It's often the first thing I do in the game - a homeward bone run for that first Firekeeper's Soul.

Catacombs:
There are several Necromancers, each controlling each group of skeletons - kill the Necromancer, the skeletons will no longer get up. The Necromancers do not respawn (like the blowdart guys in Blighttown), and drop a very useful item for the area leading from the Catacombs. You can also use a divine weapon, which kills the skeletons without killing the Necromancers.

eot

Banned
Not going to click those just yet :p if I know that they're there somewhere I should be able to find them.

I've done a dex/int build before, but I'm thinking of rolling a new character focused more heavily on int this time. Last time I basically just used weapon buffs but this time I want to focus on some actual magic. Any gear recommendations to get me started?

I've done a dex/int build before, but I'm thinking of rolling a new character focused more heavily on int this time. Last time I basically just used weapon buffs but this time I want to focus on some actual magic. Any gear recommendations to get me started?
Things to do ASAP: Get Dusk's gear for the crown and rescue Griggs for his rings and spells. I would also get Power Within even if you're not using any other pyro. Dusk Crown+Bellowing Ring+Power Within is stupid powerful for bosses and all this is available very early on.

Early trip back to the Asylum for the ring and shield (to offset the increase damage taken from magic from wearing the Dusk crown) and I do the Hydra as soon as I have a +5 weapon (maybe not the dagger if you start as a Sorcerer, but anything else you can weild - a buy/drop from the Burg or Parish). I like rapiers a lot with a magic build. Light and quick.

Things to do ASAP: Get Dusk's gear for the crown and rescue Griggs for his rings and spells. I would also get Power Within even if you're not using any other pyro. Dusk Crown+Bellowing Ring+Power Within is stupid powerful for bosses and all this is available very early on.

Early trip back to the Asylum for the ring and shield (to offset the increase damage taken from magic from wearing the Dusk crown) and I do the Hydra as soon as I have a +5 weapon (maybe not the dagger if you start as a Sorcerer, but anything else you can weild - a buy/drop from the Burg or Parish). I like rapiers a lot with a magic build. Light and quick.

Yep, I was thinking rapiers, too. Thanks for the advice.

Divius

Tried my hand at pvp and nearly lost every single fight. I was getting backstabbed so many times. Doesn't really bother me, except for the fact that every single time it was from the side or (what felt like) the front even (like in between 45-90 degrees in front of me). I see people just magically teleporting through me and I get backstabbed. Not sure if I was laggy, the game is glitchy or whatever but I can't say I enjoyed it.

krakov

Tried my hand at pvp and nearly lost every single fight. I was getting backstabbed so many times. Doesn't really bother me, except for the fact that every single time it was from the side or (what felt like) the front even (like in between 45-90 degrees in front of me). I see people just magically teleporting through me and I get backstabbed. Not sure if I was laggy, the game is glitchy or whatever but I can't say I enjoyed it.

It's always a bit laggy. You pretty much have to predict and avoid backstab attempts or learn how to punish them. Never fish for backstabs unless you know well how the mechanics work, that will get you punished all the time. There are some videos on youtube dealing with backstabs that could give some insight.

My best tip for noobs, don't fish for backstabs. Learn to counter-backstab, focus on spacing and fighting without critical attacks. Make a darkwraith character and invade, skip the forest and dark anor londo for now.

Didn't want to post it as a new thread as its just hearsay but,

My friend just texted me (he's a gstop manager and is at their conference) and he told me that there's both a collectors and LE (preorder upgrade) for Dark Souls 2, only details he gave me about the CE was it would be announced at TGS and it would have an "awesome statue".

Sullichin

My friend just texted me (he's a gstop manager) and he told me that there's both a collectors and LE (preorder upgrade) for Dark Souls 2, only details he gave me about the CE was it would be announced at TGS and it would have an "awesome statue".

That sounds cool. I'm going to be pissed if there's any sort of LE-exclusive/pre-order exclusive content. Even if it's completely cosmetic. Keep Dark Souls pure from that shit!

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

It's hard to describe, but you can move in a way to avoid lagstabs.

There's two elements to it, one is realising when the opponent is attempting a backstab either by fishing, running or rolling (which are the most common methods), the second is learning which movements or rolls relative to your opponents position are likely going to result in a lagstab and avoid them.

Practice, practice, practice.

It's hard to describe, but you can move in a way to avoid lagstabs.

There's two elements to it, one is realising when the opponent is attempting a backstab either by fishing, running or rolling (which are the most common methods), the second is learning which movements or rolls relative to your opponents position are likely going to result in a lagstab and avoid them.

Practice, practice, practice.

Also: don't lock on your your opponent. The position of your backstab sweet spot in relation to your enemy is a lot easier to surmise if you're tied to them on a tether.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

My friend just texted me (he's a gstop manager and is at their conference) and he told me that there's both a collectors and LE (preorder upgrade) for Dark Souls 2, only details he gave me about the CE was it would be announced at TGS and it would have an "awesome statue".

I'd promised myself to never fall for CE's and their junk again, but DkS II will be the exception to that rule. Statue? Hell yes.

VALKYRAY

Banned
pvp is all about backstab, whoever has better excution will win. it's boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom