• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beats

Back to playing this game after a month of hiatus. Did the patch improved strenght based weapons ? Which ones would you recommend (I have only 30 STR now but I'm still upgrading)

Right now I'm using Lightning Spear +3/Gravelord Sword +4.

I think the Black Knight Greataxe is still one of the best strength weapons. There's also the Demon Great Machete, and the regular Greataxe that are pretty good too. They have around the same damage at 40STR, but I think the moveset for the Black Knight Greataxe is better than the other two.

I found a Black Knight Great Axe today, it is indeed awesome. Can they be enhanced further?

EDIT. Ah yes, with Twinkling Titanite. I have 3 of those, I am guessing they are a rare drop.

mxgt

Banned
I was told BK Greataxe was 100% drop from the BK in catacombs.. I guess not.

Looks like I'll have to farm Kiln for it when I get there on this playthrough

Think I'm gonna take a few days off, been my most frustrating session so far. 2 deaths in PvP to people abusing backstab, losing 120k souls to a stupid death because I was annoyed and not getting the axe. :p

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Here is an oddity.

I'm at the Duke's Archives, fighting my way out of prison.

I stroll on down to the bottom where all the Picasa be, and hey, what do you know, easy Souls - they die in 2 hits and give you 800 souls, and are just taking a nap. So I wade into them.

Then I notice at there are 2 sliiiightly larger ones in the back. And they take more than 2 hits. I don't notice at first so I lay into one heavily but just as he dies, it dawned on me he isn't attacking. Well, too late and I kill that one. Hey, look, I get a Mircale!

Just as I attack the other one, I realize: same deal. She takes a bunch of hits, and is not attacking me. She even made weird moaning noises.

Anyone know what up with them? Did I make a mistake by killing one? Should I kill the other? It seemed noteworthy to me for some reason.

one85x

Here is an oddity.

I stroll on down to the bottom where all the Picasa be, and hey, what do you know, easy Souls - they die in 2 hits and give you 800 souls, and are just taking a nap. So I wade into them.

Then I notice at there are 2 sliiiightly larger ones in the back. And they take more than 2 hits. I don't notice at first so I lay into one heavily but just as he dies, it dawned on me he isn't attacking. Well, too late and I kill that one. Hey, look, I get a Mircale!

Just as I attack the other one, I realize: same deal. She takes a bunch of hits, and is not attacking me. She even made weird moaning noises.

Anyone know what up with them? Did I make a mistake by killing one? Should I kill the other? It seemed noteworthy to me for some reason.
They just sit there and cry. I believe every single one of those things is part of
Seath's
experiments and those two just hadn't lost their humanity yet.

Santiako

I will start my third playthrough this weekend, this time I want to do a Faith Build. What are good weapons and starting class for this kind of character? (Miracles + Melee)

Booshka

I will start my third playthrough this weekend, this time I want to do a Faith Build. What are good weapons and starting class for this kind of character? (Miracles + Melee)

Cleric, then use Clubs and heavy weapons until you can get a good Great or Ultra Sword (Claymore, Zweihander, Man-Serpent) etc. You can take some of the weapons to Divine, or just take them normal and enchant them with Miracles.

What item do I use to summon another person to my world? Having issues with a boss, and I thought White Sign Soapstone was the item I needed, but I just found out, after being summoned to another person's world, tis was the wrong item for me.

And I just broke out of my hiatus, time to make some progress again.

MechaX

I have to thank From Software for boosting the drop rate in 1.05. Got the Moonlight Greatsword and got it upgraded to +5 thanks to a more sensible Dragon Scale drop-rate from the Blue Drakes. Now I'm decked out in Witch Gear + Big Hat, got my Crystal Sorceries, got up to 50 INT, and now I feel like a badass.

Too bad Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith and Tomb of the Giants are still going to be pains in the ass.

Beats

What item do I use to summon another person to my world? Having issues with a boss, and I thought White Sign Soapstone was the item I needed, but I just found out, after being summoned to another person's world, tis was the wrong item for me.

And I just broke out of my hiatus, time to make some progress again.

If you become human you'll be able to see other players' summon signs.

If you become human you'll be able to see other players' summon signs.

Ah, all right. Didn't know that I had to wait for someone's kindness for a sign to appear. Thought were was a way to evoke a sign for someone to see and think, "Hey, I'll help this dude out." Sad, but that's the way it must be. Thanks for the info.

Just realized something else I love about this game. It's the only 3 dimensional game I've ever played that looks as good as its concept art. The only one.

nilbog21

Banned
guys what is a beefy and fun class to play? I started out as pyro but I really don't like his pyromancy spell and I put a lot of levels into intel thinking it would up my pyro dmg but it does not effect it

should i go with warrior?

Booshka

guys what is a beefy and fun class to play? I started out as pyro but I really don't like his pyromancy spell and I put a lot of levels into intel thinking it would up my pyro dmg but it does not effect it

should i go with warrior?

Knight starts out with high HP and heavy armor, but are slow as hell. I suggest either Warrior or Bandit, Bandit especially if you don't care about magic.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
So a couple of newbie questions:

Weapons only have one attack speed, right? As in, your attacks don't become faster if you buff a stat/get an item/whatever.

SL 31 or so atm with my warrior. Is it worth it to buff a couple stats so I can have one spell slot?

By shiny do you mean shitty? Because blighttown just sucks :) Fun boss fight tho

I'm talking more about the game in general.

edbrat

Here is an oddity.

In the painted world there is a dude facing the corner who doesn't attack you and I think also yields a miracle, must be some connection if I remembered that correctly.

Booshka

So a couple of newbie questions:

Weapons only have one attack speed, right? As in, your attacks don't become faster if you buff a stat/get an item/whatever.

SL 31 or so atm with my warrior. Is it worth it to buff a couple stats so I can have one spell slot?

I'm talking more about the game in general.

I've heard that STR and DEX increase swing speed for their respective weapons, but I don't really believe it. I think it is worth having two or three attunement slots for all starting players. As a Warrior you can get 12 Faith pretty easily and the Heal miracle is a life saver for new players, I loved it on my first playthrough, really gives you more confidence to venture further without a bonfire. Then you can use Pyromancy for your other 1 or 2 slots, Combustion and Great Combustion are great.

If you only want one slot, I suggest getting 12 Faith and use the Heal Miracle for that one slot, if you are more comfortable with just Flasks, then you can use Pyromancy. I never used Sorcery on my first Character which was also a Warrior.

Guys, Ive hit a wall and its sucking the fun out of the game big time.

Im trying to work my way into Sen's Fortress, but the Lizard men hit hard, and then all those booby traps. By the time I get passed the room with the swinging blades Im down to my last estus. Ive upgraded my weapons some, Long sword and Halberd to raw (whatever that means). My dex is 26 or so, my STR is 22. I tried to go souls farming, but its takes soo long to level up now. Every new area is beyond me; catacombs, Valley of the Drakes, New Londo ruins and Blightown Swamps.

On a good note, I finally beat the Hydra in the lake of Darkroot Basin, so tonights playthrough wasnt a complete waste.

Honestly: What/where am I doing that is making this soo hard.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Blighttown isn't very difficult. Do that first. Sen's has a badass Lightning Spear in it, so make a dash and find the mimic chest and kill it. Those lizard guys are no match for it.

Blighttown isn't very difficult. Do that first. Sen's has a badass Lightning Spear in it, so make a dash and find the mimic chest and kill it. Those lizard guys are no match for it.

Oh, Ive done Blightown (well some of it) and it wasnt fun at all. The constant poison status was more annoying then anything else. Kept me from exploring and admiring the area....well other than the stuttering FPS.

I heard about that spear...I was trying to get to it. Managed to get to the area where these boulder rolls down a track. The I go into a room, passed the fog entrance and Im imediately assaulted by a lizardman and a booby trap. I was so:

454-fffuuu.gif

Booshka

Guys, Ive hit a wall and its sucking the fun out of the game big time.

Im trying to work my way into Sen's Fortress, but the Lizard men hit hard, and then all those booby traps. By the time I get passed the room with the swinging blades Im down to my last estus. Ive upgraded my weapons some, Long sword and Halberd to raw (whatever that means). My dex is 26 or so, my STR is 22. I tried to go souls farming, but its takes soo long to level up now. Every new area is beyond me; catacombs, Valley of the Drakes, New Londo ruins and Blightown Swamps.

On a good note, I finally beat the Hydra in the lake of Darkroot Basin, so tonights playthrough wasnt a complete waste.

Honestly: What/where am I doing that is making this soo hard.

You need to get a little better at fighting the lizard men, you should be able to block them and then move around them to their back, for pretty easy backstabs. You took your weapons Raw, which isn't really suggested, but it is decent for the middle of the game. You need to go farm for upgrade items in the Blighttown swamp. The Leeches there drop Large Titanite Shards and Green Titanite Shards, the Large ones is what you are after. You can use those to upgrade your Raw weapons, and even better to upgrade weapons to Normal +6-10. In Sen's Fortress there is a Lightning Spear that can make the game much easier instantly, and then a Gold Covetous Ring which will up your Item Discovery when equipped.

Sen's Walkthrough spoilers

Both of those are at the bottom of Sen's. When you move through Sen's after you pass the first area where the ball rolls down (where the Lightning Lizard is at top of the ramp) go into the room with the trap and one Lizard men. From there you will be at the second area where the ball rolls down. Do not run up the ramp, follow the ball down all the way down the ramp. At the bottom before the round pit, take a left into that room, there will be a chest there. This is a trap, attack it first, don't try to open it, after you kill it, he drops the Lightning Spear. Stay in this room and wait a little bit as the balls roll down. After a little while the balls will fill up that round pit then one will break the wall down and open a room that has the Gold Covetous Ring. With this ring and the Lightning Spear, go to Blighttown swamps and start farming for upgrade items. Work on your gear and then return to Sen's to finish it.

elohel

Back to playing this game after a month of hiatus. Did the patch improved strenght based weapons ? Which ones would you recommend (I have only 30 STR now but I'm still upgrading)

Right now I'm using Lightning Spear +3/Gravelord Sword +4.

gotta get that black knight great axe

You need to get a little better at fighting the lizard men, you should be able to block them and then move around them to their back, for pretty easy backstabs. You took your weapons Raw, which isn't really suggested, but it is decent for the middle of the game. You need to go farm for upgrade items in the Blighttown swamp. The Leeches there drop Large Titanite Shards and Green Titanite Shards, the Large ones is what you are after. You can use those to upgrade your Raw weapons, and even better to upgrade weapons to Normal +6-10. In Sen's Fortress there is a Lightning Spear that can make the game much easier instantly, and then a Gold Covetous Ring which will up your Item Discovery when equipped.

Sen's Walkthrough spoilers

Both of those are at the bottom of Sen's. When you move through Sen's after you pass the first area where the ball rolls down (where the Lightning Lizard is at top of the ramp) go into the room with the trap and one Lizard men. From there you will be at the second area where the ball rolls down. Do not run up the ramp, follow the ball down all the way down the ramp. At the bottom before the round pit, take a left into that room, there will be a chest there. This is a trap, attack it first, don't try to open it, after you kill it, he drops the Lightning Spear. Stay in this room and wait a little bit as the balls roll down. After a little while the balls will fill up that round pit then one will break the wall down and open a room that has the Gold Covetous Ring. With this ring and the Lightning Spear, go to Blighttown swamps and start farming for upgrade items. Work on your gear and then return to Sen's to finish it.

Thanks Booshka. Im gonna use your strategy for the next time. Ill update with my results.

Is there anyway I can get 10 Estus again? I used to be able to get them when I rested at Firelink Bonfire, but with the maiden there dead, the bonfire doesnt work.

I have no humanity. I mean, whats the difference between the humanity use can use as items (which restores health) and the other humanity which reverses hollow?

Booshka

I have no humanity. I mean, whats the difference between the humanity use can use as items (which restores health) and the other humanity which reverses hollow?

They are both the same, just in different forms, one is Active and in your counter, you can use this form to Reverse Hollow and Kindle bonfires. The other is the item form which you can use to heal and then it is put in your counter to become Active. If you need Humanity in your counter, just put your Summon sign down, and help some players beat bosses. This will give you a lot of souls and 1 Active humanity in your counter per completed summon.

Edit: Are on 360 by chance? I have a level 37 Character that I am playing right now, and I can help you if you need it, drop you some Humanity items as well.

They are both the same, just in different forms, one is Active and in your counter, you can use this form to Reverse Hollow and Kindle bonfires. The other is the item form which you can use to heal and then it is put in your counter to become Active. If you need Humanity in your counter, just put your Summon sign down, and help some players beat bosses. This will give you a lot of souls and 1 Active humanity in your counter per completed summon.

But you cant get summoned if your hollow can you? If yes, then damn, Im taking a break and im gonna go help out some other players.

edit: no, PS3. But thank you for volunteering. Honestly, Dark Souls GAF is the best GAF.

Ill Saint

But you cant get summoned if your hollow can you? If yes, then damn, Im taking a break and im gonna go help out some other players.

edit: no, PS3. But thank you for volunteering. Honestly, Dark Souls GAF is the best GAF.

You can get summoned while both hollow and human, just put down your sign with the soapstone and wait a few minutes.

This, just put it down near a bonfire or right in front of the boss fog gate on the boss that you just beat.

Wow, I'm so excited now. Totally didn't realize I could do this. Other than being invaded a few times, I haven't tackled the multiplayer element in DS. This definitely makes me more excited to play it again next time. Oooohhhh, which boss should I take on again? Are there any negatives in getting summoned?

Booshka

Wow, I'm so excited now. Totally didn't realize I could do this. Other than being invaded a few times, I haven't tackled the multiplayer element in DS. This definitely makes me more excited to play it again next time. Oooohhhh, which boss should I take on again? Are there any negatives in getting summoned?

No negatives whatsoever, if you die, you don't lose anything, if you win you get lots of souls and humanity.

Edit: the only minor thing about summoning is what you do during a boss. Go for the tail of most bosses if you can, they drop weapons when lopped off. And in the case of one boss fight, who you choose to defeat first determines which boss soul, armor set and ring you can get

No negatives whatsoever, if you die, you don't lose anything, if you win you get lots of souls and humanity.

Edit: the only minor thing about summoning is what you do during a boss. Go for the tail of most bosses if you can, they drop weapons when lopped off. And in the case of one boss fight, who you choose to defeat first determines which boss soul, armor set and ring you can get

Wait, if I help other players with bosses, I can get those boss souls again?

Booshka

So, wait, if help another player defeat, lets say, Gaping Dragon I dont get any souls drop from it?

(Sorry about all the question btw)

No, you will. You will get 12,500 Souls from that Boss. I am talking about the Boss Soul items that Bosses will start to drop when you defeat them for your playthrough. These Boss Soul items can then be used to forge boss weapons or consumed for Souls.

No problem man, this game is confusing, I don't want you to get frustrated and quit just because you don't understand it.

sixghost

Edit: Are on 360 by chance? I have a level 37 Character that I am playing right now, and I can help you if you need it, drop you some Humanity items as well.

Can you do that? I was trying to drop some humanity for a host today and the drop options was struck through.

That's the kind of stuff that makes the humanity system in this game kind of flawed. It's frustrating to have a host die, then have to wait like 15-20 minutes for him to go kill a bunch of enemies to get another humanity point.

Booshka

Can you do that? I was trying to drop some humanity for a host today and the drop options was struck through.

That's the kind of stuff that makes the humanity system in this game kind of flawed. It's frustrating to have a host die, then have to wait like 15-20 minutes for him to go kill a bunch of enemies to get another humanity point.

If something is equipped you can't drop it, you probably had it equipped and that is why you couldn't drop it. If a host dies and doesn't have Humanity to reverse hollow and try again, he can put his own sign down and try to help someone else to get a humanity back. That seems fine to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom