• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Uh? This is dumb. I'm using the term to refer to a behaviour that I think is particularly dickish and clearly defining this behaviour. I never said that all low-level invasions were lame (some can be fun and exciting), that was just your giant pile of straw. When I patiently clarify what is the behaviour I consider dickish and why, now I'm "changing the definition"? *shakes head*

Exactly.

Eh, Demon's Souls has no weapon that OHKOs without a backstab unless you're facing someone with really pathetically low VIT... Especially without a buff.

Griefing IS "dickish", and it's enjoyable and built into the context of the game. Case closed.

2AdEPT

Uh? This is dumb. I'm using the term to refer to a behaviour that I think is particularly dickish and clearly defining this behaviour. I never said that all low-level invasions were lame (some can be fun and exciting), that was just your giant pile of straw. When I patiently clarify what is the behaviour I consider dickish and why, now I'm "changing the definition"? *shakes head*

Exactly.

Eh, Demon's Souls has no weapon that OHKOs without a backstab unless you're facing someone with really pathetically low VIT... Especially without a buff.
Dragon bone smasher and Great sword are pretty hard to survive especially if you get hit right on the head from an overhead smash....specially in the case of the greatsword if upgraded properly...

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Uh? This is dumb. I'm using the term to refer to a behaviour that I think is particularly dickish and clearly defining this behaviour. I never said that all low-level invasions were lame (some can be fun and exciting), that was just your giant pile of straw. When I patiently clarify what is the behaviour I consider dickish and why, now I'm "changing the definition"? *shakes head

That's nice, but the truth is anyone attempting to dickwraith is gonna face all those challenges and more.

They're essential to the dickwraith concept because they're inextricably linked.

You just strip properties from dickwraithing until it fits your own bias.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
*sigh* (Darkwraith = invading) != dickwraith

And I'm done.

Dragon bone smasher and Great sword are pretty hard to survive especially if you get hit right on the head from an overhead smash....specially in the case of the greatsword if upgraded properly...
Huh? The dogbone is much stronger than the greatsword, and while it does hit hard, it does not OHKO anyone with moderate amounts of VIT (especially hosts), and especially not without a buff.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
*sigh* (Darkwraith = invading) != dickwraith

And I'm done.

Huh? The dogbone is much stronger than the greatsword, and while it does hit hard, it does not OHKO anyone with moderate amounts of VIT (especially hosts), and especially not without a buff.

You are arguing that driving a car is easy and safe because if you are on a 8 lane highway with no other car in sight there's zero difficulty while ignoring all else that comes with driving.

Ummmbasa.

It seems like this will be a serious pain in the ass later on. How do you plan on beating damage resistant enemies like The Four Kings?

I haven't thought that far in advance. I'm trying to take it one boss at a time. I'm not actually sure if I'll be able to pull it off. I would really like to at least beat S&O though. I'm coming into this challenge after taking a long hiatus off of Dark Souls, so me being a little rusty doesn't help.

I have a feeling I'm gonna need a lot of black firebombs.

Sullichin

I haven't thought that far in advance. I'm trying to take it one boss at a time. I'm not actually sure if I'll be able to pull it off. I would really like to at least beat S&O though. I'm coming into this challenge after taking a long hiatus off of Dark Souls, so me being a little rusty doesn't help.

I have a feeling I'm gonna need a lot of black firebombs.

Try out the occult club, it does a little more damage than the unupgraded giant blacksmith hammer on O&S.

I've never tried an Occult Club against Beavis and Butthead, and that's the second time I've seen it recommended. The range on the Club is so small and the attack so slow always made it pretty unappealing against those two.

Sullichin

I've never tried an Occult Club against Beavis and Butthead, and that's the second time I've seen it recommended. The range on the Club is so small and the attack so slow always made it pretty unappealing against those two.

I was only recommending it for a SL1 no upgrade run. Clubs are good to stagger Ornstein though. If you're doing normal SL1 without further limitations, great combustion is probably the fastest way to do that fight. If it's a regular run but you don't have a good weapon yet, the crystal halberd in Anor Londo is a better choice than the occult club.

Nito is a real sonofabitch when he just spams the toxic sword attack from off screen. It feels a bit random whether you manage to dodge it or not.

I got to Nito last night for the first time. I'm a sorcerer and he wiped me out nearly instantly. Should I throw on some heavy armor for this fight?

ArynCrinn

Banned
I was only recommending it for a SL1 no upgrade run. Clubs are good to stagger Ornstein though. If you're doing normal SL1 without further limitations, great combustion is probably the fastest way to do that fight. If it's a regular run but you don't have a good weapon yet, the crystal halberd in Anor Londo is a better choice than the occult club.

Yeah, it all comes down to really mastering the club's timings and getting those R2's in when you can. Takes about three consecutive hits to stagger Orns and even by then you rarely have a chance to capitalize on the stagger with Smough out there. With Red Tearstone on it's a slight bit easier, but even then your doing chip damage with regular attacks and small chunks with R2's. Still way better than the Blacksmith Hammer, took AGES to whittle down Super Orns. But the Occult Club was practically placed for this fight for a no upgrade run.

My Deprived run (ENB rules+no rings or resins or consumables) was even harder, even with a +4 Occult Club, the lack of Red Tearstone combined with no healing makes it insane. Got that recorded too, bunch of new vids I need to upload. I think my Kalameet Deprived run might be the most impressive on YT once I upload it. Cut the tail too in the fight!

I'd love to see somebody do a Deprived run or a Thief run (imo the hardest starting classes to not level up on) do a pure ENB rules+no rings+no resins+no consumables. I might try it someday, Thief this time.

Sullichin

Yeah, it all comes down to really mastering the club's timings and getting those R2's in when you can. Takes about three consecutive hits to stagger Orns and even by then you rarely have a chance to capitalize on the stagger with Smough out there. With Red Tearstone on it's a slight bit easier, but even then your doing chip damage with regular attacks and small chunks with R2's. Still way better than the Blacksmith Hammer, took AGES to whittle down Super Orns. But the Occult Club was practically placed for this fight for a no upgrade run.

My Deprived run (ENB rules+no rings or resins or consumables) was even harder, even with a +4 Occult Club, the lack of Red Tearstone combined with no healing makes it insane. Got that recorded too, bunch of new vids I need to upload. I think my Kalameet Deprived run might be the most impressive on YT once I upload it. Cut the tail too in the fight!

I'd love to see somebody do a Deprived run or a Thief run (imo the hardest starting classes to not level up on) do a pure ENB rules+no rings+no resins+no consumables. I might try it someday, Thief this time.

I'm still at 4K / Artotias on my Deprived Run, with +15 club. +15 sucks at base SL, I think a 245 AR which makes 4 Kings really hard. O&S took forever.

Sullichin

I got to Nito last night for the first time. I'm a sorcerer and he wiped me out nearly instantly. Should I throw on some heavy armor for this fight?

I wouldn't bother tanking him as a sorcerer, but that's viable with melee. When you hear the scream, be prepared to roll out of the way of the gravelord greatsword dance miracle a couple of seconds later. Once you get the timing down it's easier to figure out when you should dodge. You can use a divine weapon (occult club in anor londo downgraded to divine+5 works fine if you don't have one) to permanately take care of the skeletons, but it's not necessary. Kill/block/avoid them, and don't go in the back of the room as to not aggro the big skeletons. Nito's attacks are easy to dodge and his big AOE is a slow telegraph. With dusk crown ring, bellowing dragoncrest and decent INT he won't last too long.

Apparently making sure you aren't using Cast Light or the Sunlight Maggot makes him less aggressive.

I've been hit 4 times in a row with the sword dance after landing while using neither so I'm not convinced!

As a sorcerer that fight should be easier than using any other method. Assuming you have all the available fire-power that is. Crown of dusk, bellowing dragoncrest ring, soul spears (8), crystal soul spears (4) and a good catalyst. You can have logan's or the tin crystallisation catalyst before going in there. Also don't forget a divine weapon to kill that 1st wave of skeletons with and bring fall control too so you don't have to heal as soon as you enter.

eot

Banned
Welp, looks like I won't be playing Dark Souls for a while. The patch that broke the unlocked FPS also broke DSMfix.

:(

I was looking forward to doing the DLC on my SL1.

ArynCrinn

Banned
I'm still at 4K / Artotias on my Deprived Run, with +15 club. +15 sucks at base SL, I think a 245 AR which makes 4 Kings really hard. O&S took forever.

The most horrible part is I did it all without healing. The strat for 4K is basically a slightly luck-based hit and run strat. Watch Vegata311's vid for reference. Took a lot longer on my Deprived run though. Got them out of their pretty quick with Red Tearstone+Giant Blacksmith Hammer on my SL1 no upgrade, anticipating then running to the right fast to avoid the missile is really key. Same for the SL1 no upgrade dagger kill.

Welp, looks like I won't be playing Dark Souls for a while. The patch that broke the unlocked FPS also broke DSMfix.

:(

I was looking forward do doing the DLC on my SL1.

And the networking fix... :(

Sullichin

I never thought about making a slow heavy hitting character but this guy made me want to try it.

Looks really fun.

I really like my 40/40 quality build because I can do stuff like this without making a new character. For a while I was invading with a demon great machete and a butcher knife in my offhand, with the dark mask and black iron armor. It was actually surprisingly viable to use the butcher knife offhand every so often to confuse people.

I've been hit 4 times in a row with the sword dance after landing while using neither so I'm not convinced!

As a sorcerer that fight should be easier than using any other method. Assuming you have all the available fire-power that is. Crown of dusk, bellowing dragoncrest ring, soul spears (8), crystal soul spears (4) and a good catalyst. You can have logan's or the tin crystallisation catalyst before going in there. Also don't forget a divine weapon to kill that 1st wave of skeletons with and bring fall control too so you don't have to heal as soon as you enter.

I hadn't gotten more than 4 soul spears at this time. I'll come back after I have more.

Calibus

If you're on xbox simply start a party by yourself. That will keep you offline. I discovered this on accident.

No, on PC here. I did actually win an invasion tonight on my new Pyromancer, but it sucks because it seems like literally every time I rev hollow, someone invades. Would very much like to be able to summon before a boss fight.

Divius

Impressive.
I think that corpse is always there.

No, on PC here. I did actually win an invasion tonight on my new Pyromancer, but it sucks because it seems like literally every time I rev hollow, someone invades. Would very much like to be able to summon before a boss fight.
Yeah I really disliked this on my first playthrough. I'd get a dozen 'summoning failed' messages (or just didn't see any signs) but would get invaded every time.

Soulhouf

I really like my 40/40 quality build because I can do stuff like this without making a new character. For a while I was invading with a demon great machete and a butcher knife in my offhand, with the dark mask and black iron armor. It was actually surprisingly viable to use the butcher knife offhand every so often to confuse people.

Unfortunately a quality build never has enough HP or stamina to hold a heavy armor and 3 axes.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Dunno if posted, DS2 beta impressions by Epic Name, Bro. Great insight as usual. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CGvXh_pEWs

If you watch ENB's video, he mentions that weapon elemental damage now scales with stats as well. Magic and Fire on Intelligence, Holy and Dark on Faith and bleeding and poison on Dexterity.

Which means you cannot make a level 10 character hit for 600 damage with a chaos +5 weapon anymore.

Interesting stuff.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I just have Izalith and Kalameet left in NG+. I'm not sure I want to dive into a 3rd run immediately after, but I need that Dark Souls fix. I already beat Demon Souls earlier this month, but would anyone here recommend Dragon's Dogma as a sortof fix?

ArynCrinn

Banned
Only thing that worries me is it sounds like they messed with roll speed and tied it to a stat. Horrible for base-SL players because it's essential basically. The roll in Demon's was perfect and I wish they had just brought that back with the feel of weight (audio -wise) rather than the animation delay of it.

Sullichin

Only thing that worries me is it sounds like they messed with roll speed and tied it to a stat. Horrible for base-SL players because it's essential basically. The roll in Demon's was perfect and I wish they had just brought that back with the feel of weight (audio -wise) rather than the animation delay of it.
Sounds like this and elemental damage scaling with stats is going to make base SL runs harder. I am sure they will still be possible, they're basically a trademark of the series. Maybe there will be a ring that increases agility... that everyone uses and breaks the game :p

ArynCrinn

Banned
Sounds like this and elemental damage scaling with stats is going to make base SL runs harder. I am sure they will still be possible, they're basically a trademark of the series. Maybe there will be a ring that increases agility... that everyone uses and breaks the game :p

Hopefully. :)

And I really hope their listening to the fans, this thread in particular. But I really mean it a Demon's Souls roll with the "thud" impact sound and controller feedback would be perfect. Maybe even tie in a body evasion move for some classes, learned by other classes in different ways. That you can sort of bob and weave and duck under coming attacks and enemies. Would make a pure "trap dungeon" really epic if designed well for movements like these.

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm about to have one of the worst rage quits ever with this game.

Because I cant flippin make the stupid roll in Firelink Shrine to get to the Undead Asylum. I don't get it. I've done it a dozen times before. But I just tried it 9 times in a row and couldn't get it once. I'm out of estus flasks and there's no bonfire right now, so I've gotta go to the Parish and then come back and try this mess again.

What on earth is wrong with me?

I'm about to have one of the worst rage quits ever with this game.

Because I cant flippin make the stupid roll in Firelink Shrine to get to the Undead Asylum. I don't get it. I've done it a dozen times before. But I just tried it 9 times in a row and couldn't get it once. I'm out of estus flasks and there's no bonfire right now, so I've gotta go to the Parish and then come back and try this mess again.

What on earth is wrong with me?

Use medium roll.

Seanspeed

Banned
Use medium roll.

Worked. Cheers.

I recently did go to light roll speed. Had no idea it affected this.

EDIT: And now I'm having an issue with restoring humanity. It doesn't freeze, but it locks me out of any and all actions except moving the camera around. Instead of getting up, I continue to sit on the ground without being able to do anything. I actually have to log out of Windows to get out of it. Its happened twice now at two different locations. Not sure whats up with that.

Eh, my guess is it'll work much like Endurance worked in the first - all boiling down to how fast you can move over a certain encumbrance. I'm sure low-level characters will still be able to fast roll in light armor. But yeah, if they force a mid-roll on you from the very start regardless of equipment that's going to make certain builds a lot more difficult.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Eh, my guess is it'll work much like Endurance worked in the first - all boiling down to how fast you can move over a certain encumbrance. I'm sure low-level characters will still be able to fast roll in light armor. But yeah, if they force a mid-roll on you from the very start regardless of equipment that's going to make certain builds a lot more difficult.

That's exactly what ENB said after playing the beta... :(

Sullichin

Worked. Cheers.

I recently did go to light roll speed. Had no idea it affected this.

EDIT: And now I'm having an issue with restoring humanity. It doesn't freeze, but it locks me out of any and all actions except moving the camera around. Instead of getting up, I continue to sit on the ground without being able to do anything. I actually have to log out of Windows to get out of it. Its happened twice now at two different locations. Not sure whats up with that.

Both the rolling issue and the bonfire problem are side effects of using unlockFPS in DSfix.

The bonfire problem is annoying, especially of you've finally been playing long enough to have a big pool of players to connect to.
The only way to get out of it is to quit/ reload or have someone invade and backstab you.

Seanspeed

Banned
Both the rolling issue and the bonfire problem are side effects of using unlockFPS in DSfix.

The bonfire problem is annoying, especially of you've finally been playing long enough to have a big pool of players to connect to.
The only way to get out of it is to quit/ reload or have someone invade and backstab you.
huh ok

Never had problems with either til the new fix came out. Strange. I'd need to play windowed to just quit out of the game and I hate doing that with something like Dark Souls. As lovely as 60fps is, I might have to turn it off.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
huh ok

Never had problems with either til the new fix came out. Strange. I'd need to play windowed to just quit out of the game and I hate doing that with something like Dark Souls. As lovely as 60fps is, I might have to turn it off.

You can switch to 30 fps by binding a button in the DSfixKeys file. I think it might be backspace by default. That way you can enjoy the best of both without having to restart the game.

Seanspeed

Banned
You can switch to 30 fps by binding a button in the DSfixKeys file. I think it might be backspace by default. That way you can enjoy the best of both without having to restart the game.

Really? Nice. So I'll just switch over to 30fps before I hit up a bonfire then.

My character at the moment:

Sullichin

huh ok

You can alt+f4 to quit when it's full screen

eot

Banned
Finally bested Artorias on my SL1. I wish I'd had a higher level character just to practice dodging his moves. It's pretty unforgiving to learn when it takes a minute or two to get back and he OHKOs you. Still enjoyed fighting him though, running there and getting RTR less so.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Finally bested Artorias on my SL1. I wish I'd had a higher level character just to practice dodging his moves. It's pretty unforgiving to learn when it takes a minute or two to get back and he OHKOs you. Still enjoyed fighting him though, running there and getting RTR less so.

Did you allow healing/Estus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom