• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even though they take a while to get used to I find strength based weapons way more fun to use. It's so satisfying when you do land a hit on someone.

I love my strength based character, with his fully upgraded Demon's Great Axe and Manserpent Greatsword.

Love the game, need to work on finishing it some time in the future. I formatted my pc some time ago, but did keep a copy of my saved game progress on an external hdd. Hopefully when i reinstall it, i will be able to retrieve my progress.

OatmealMu

Picked this up at the recent Amazon sale and finally got around to playing it. Right now I'm sitting at soul level 94 trying to beat Kalameet. Whenever I join another player as a phantom, we always win. Trying to do it in my own world, however, is a different story. I just failed two times in a row while cooping. The first time, the phantom died; the second, I died. I have no idea what the second phantom was doing, but the boss almost refused to aggro on him. The entire reason I'm doing coop is to share aggro, but it wasn't happening, and I don't understand the boss enough to reliably dodge the Kalameet. It felt like I was soloing him.

Any advice? I'm probably overleveled and summons are hard to find (PC version).

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Picked this up at the recent Amazon sale and finally got around to playing it. Right now I'm sitting at soul level 94 trying to beat Kalameet. Whenever I join another player as a phantom, we always win. Trying to do it in my own world, however, is a different story. I just failed two times in a row while cooping. The first time, the phantom died; the second, I died. I have no idea what the second phantom was doing, but the boss almost refused to aggro on him. The entire reason I'm doing coop is to share aggro, but it wasn't happening, and I don't understand the boss enough to reliably dodge the Kalameet. It felt like I was soloing him.

A good shield like the Greatshield Artorias will make learning his moves a lot easier since you can just block 90% of the damage instead of having to rely on dodging. You'll eventually find 2-3 openings where you can get a decent attack in. Don't be greedy with the hits, be patient.

Divius

I've had my fair share of trouble with Kalameet and his damn breath attacks. Add me on steam (see profile) and I think I can help you out.

OatmealMu

I've had my fair share of trouble with Kalameet and his damn breath attacks. Add me on steam (see profile) and I think I can help you out.

It's not the magic breath I have trouble with. It's the melee attacks that bust me up, especially the charge and bite attacks. I've never been able to dodge the latter, and it does a lot of damage. In any case, I finally did it with the Sunbro that died earlier. It was just the two of us. Having a third person makes a surprisingly big difference. Kalameet seems to get momentarily confused if it has too many targets.

Thanks for the offer of help, though. I think I'll drop a summon sign and help a few more people with this twat.

It's not the magic breath I have trouble with. It's the melee attacks that bust me up, especially the charge and bite attacks. I've never been able to dodge the latter, and it does a lot of damage. In any case, I finally did it with the Sunbro that died earlier. It was just the two of us. Having a third person makes a surprisingly big difference. Kalameet seems to get momentarily confused if it has too many targets.

Thanks for the offer of help, though. I think I'll drop a summon sign and help a few more people with this twat.

In terms of dodging his attacks, what roll speed do you have? Having fast roll really helps with that fight.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
What armor set is this here (promo shot from the DLC)? I can't figure it out:

ss_99a0f2e9c5d609f281e9bb765d27c84069081ee6.1920x1080.jpg

krakov

Got to say, the Scythe is a very underrated weapon. The 2H R2 kicks ass. The Great Scythe looks cool, but it's a one trick pony.

I always found the scythe to be a bit redundant. As I remember it has the same moveset as the gargoyles halberd. It has different scaling but both have similar potential. Halberd is thrust and works with leo ring unlike the scythe, it also has some slight resistances as a bonus. Maybe the scythe is slightly less weighty.

Booshka

I always found the scythe to be a bit redundant. As I remember it has the same moveset as the gargoyles halberd. It has different scaling but both have similar potential. Halberd is thrust and works with leo ring unlike the scythe, it also has some slight resistances as a bonus. Maybe the scythe is slightly less weighty.

Main difference is the scaling, Scythe is a Dex weapon with A scaling in Dex, whereas Gargoyles Halberd is a lower tier Quality with D/D scaling.

Sullichin

Superior moveset of gargoyles halberd (rather than the normal halberd), better dex scaling, lower STR requirement, 1 unit lighter than halberd.

I beat the game with a divine gargoyle's halberd and a lightning scythe on my very first playthrough (before I understood how scaling worked and pre-patch). Good times.

Toxi

Banned
Got to say, the Scythe is a very underrated weapon. The 2H R2 kicks ass. The Great Scythe looks cool, but it's a one trick pony.
My younger brother is a pvp expert (I'm certainly not), and he loves the vanilla Scythe. It's got a good combination of attributes.

Great Scythe's main problem is that everybody knows how to fight a Great Scythe user nowadays. :p

krakov

Had a crazy Dark souls friend that loved the gargoyle stuff and maxed out the garg halberd in every upgrade path on a low level toon. One of the last times I saw him online he gave me pretty much every item in the game and all dem halberds to mule him when he made a new toon. Must have been early 2012.

I never really got into the scythe/gargoyles/lucerne and I'm useless with them. As I understand though both lucerne and gargoyles will get the leo ring bonus on any attack.

eot

Banned
I'm trying to fight Manus on my SL1, is there a tell for which spell he's going to cast? The pendant timing is different for all of them and I die if I miss it.

Toxi

Banned
I'm trying to fight Manus on my SL1, is there a tell for which spell he's going to cast? The pendant timing is different for all of them and I die if I miss it.
If you have the Crest Shield fully-upgraded, you can block the inwards circle attack with minimal damage; not sure if that's any help.
Had a crazy Dark souls friend that loved the gargoyle stuff and maxed out the garg halberd in every upgrade path on a low level toon. One of the last times I saw him online he gave me pretty much every item in the game and all dem halberds to mule him when he made a new toon. Must have been early 2012.

I never really got into the scythe/gargoyles/lucerne and I'm useless with them. As I understand though both lucerne and gargoyles will get the leo ring bonus on any attack.
Gargoyle's Halberd does not get Leo Ring bonus.

You can clearly tell when he's going to do the straight projectile attack because of the way he moves his arm before swiping outward. I don't know how to describe it, but it becomes pretty obvious.

When he starts charging his magic, just run away. You can escape from the downward attack just by running away, you'll have more time to dodge the straight attack, and you'll have time to see the magic going upward, which telegraphs the inward attack.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Cannot believe you can kill Capra without ever engaging him just by flinging poo at him over the wall :D

I probably wasted more souls getting my aim right and missing with the dung pies than I'd have lost actually fighting him... but my commitment to maximum cheapness was amply satisfied. Its stuff like this that makes me love this game so much.

Sajjaja

Question about dragon covenent. If I get to +3 level in it and have the added buffs to the stones, will I lose the buffs if I leave the covenant?

Question about dragon covenent. If I get to +3 level in it and have the added buffs to the stones, will I lose the buffs if I leave the covenant?
Yes, but you can still transform with dragon torso and head.
Cannot believe you can kill Capra without ever engaging him just by flinging poo at him over the wall :D

I probably wasted more souls getting my aim right and missing with the dung pies than I'd have lost actually fighting him... but my commitment to maximum cheapness was amply satisfied. Its stuff like this that makes me love this game so much.
What? This works?

2AdEPT

I havent spent a lot of time in the ragon covenant, but I think there is no hard rule as chaos fireball works no matter what....I seem to think that Darkmoon blade requires that you are in the darkmoon covenant though...could be wrong.

Edit: I have a beautiful hardcover guide beside me and it says you can use the stuff no matter what after you get it.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
zerokoolpsx said:
What? This works?

Yep. You just have to be careful that you're aiming directly over the wall and down the centre otherwise you'll probably just toxify a dog. Took me a fair number of attempts to get it right, and considering the dung is 200 souls a pop from the merchant -I'd say you'll need 10 or so hits to get it to "stick" - its mainly a trick for comedy value (or absolute desperation).

I guess if you've already opened the hunter's area in Darkroot and so have a lot of spare souls at a very low SL it could be a very viable cheap kill on Capra.

There are a couple of videos on youtube showing the positioning, but its pretty straightforward.

Quick lore question: Has anyone come across any mentions of the "Dark Tales" besides the one on the Estus Flask? I've been going through every item and dialog in the game to see if I could find any other information about what the tales were and if they relate to any other aspects of the game's story, but so far have found nothing.

Sajjaja

I havent spent a lot of time in the ragon covenant, but I think there is no hard rule as chaos fireball works no matter what....I seem to think that Darkmoon blade requires that you are in the darkmoon covenant though...could be wrong.

Edit: I have a beautiful hardcover guide beside me and it says you can use the stuff no matter what after you get it.

Yeah I know you can use the stones even after you leave the covenant, but the more you level up in the covenant, the more powerful the stones become, so I just wanted to know if the buffs stayed.

Thanks for confirming it zero.

GRIP

Just beat Manus for the first time! Damn, that fight is intense. Actually didn't take me nearly as many tries as Artorias, but it still feels pretty damn good. I was really expecting to waste my night trying to kill this fucker.

Divius

Just beat Manus for the first time! Damn, that fight is intense. Actually didn't take me nearly as many tries as Artorias, but it still feels pretty damn good. I was really expecting to waste my night trying to kill this fucker.
Comgrats! Did you find
puppy Sif
and summon him for the fight?

Valnen

Roommate just got the game today, I've spent the past 2 and a half hours trying to get it to work but for some reason her computer won't run Dark Souls or any other GFWL game for that matter. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling GFWL and dotnet 4.0 multiple times. Tried running as admin. Still broken. Bleh. The sooner they patch that out, the better.

Sullichin

Someone made a gif of a great moment from last night's GiantBomb DS stream

dark_soulss_by_alo81-d6nrmkr.gif

And now looking at the file name, it looks like it was made by GAF member and GIF creator extraordinaire Alo81.

Roommate just got the game today, I've spent the past 2 and a half hours trying to get it to work but for some reason her computer won't run Dark Souls or any other GFWL game for that matter. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling GFWL and dotnet 4.0 multiple times. Tried running as admin. Still broken. Bleh. The sooner they patch that out, the better.

Update Windows?

Someone made a gif of a great moment from last night's GiantBomb DS stream

dark_soulss_by_alo81-d6nrmkr.gif

And now looking at the file name, it looks like it was made by GAF member and GIF creator extraordinaire Alo81.

Awesome, got to love Dark Souls death GIFs. It's also the top post on Reddit right now, which is cool.

Dark Souls is also on sale on Steam, and it's been on the top of the Steam charts since the sale started. Always happy to see more people getting into Dark Souls.

Booshka

The wind up on that kick animation from the Giant Skeleton really sells that whole image. It's funny how nestling that skeleton in the wall right next to the archer serves only to troll your first playthrough, and Vinny fell into that trap perfectly.

Watching that feature inspired me to do some ToTG invasions, got plenty of action on my SL 50 on Xbox. Lot of fun and crazy encounters, invaded two different people who were in the Giant Skelly room where the Large Divine Ember was, complete massacre with a bunch of Skeletons and myself wielding a Great Club running after them. Classic Souls Invasions.

Got some more awesome jumping and plunging attacks as well, been switching to red tearstone when I have the chance at low health and just going for the one shot kill. I fail every so often, but more often then not I trade a one shot jump attack and both of us die.

Just a generic "program has stopped working" windows error. Tried running Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition, RE5, and even just the marketplace client. All of them crash the same way.

What operating system? Did you try Windows 7 compatibility mode if it's W8, or running the GFWL installer itself in admin mode?

GRIP

Comgrats! Did you find
puppy Sif
and summon him for the fight?

Nah, I can't even remember the last time I summoned for help. Feels better to beat the bosses solo. Plus, I hear it's kind of a pain in the ass to summon him anyway (isn't his sign right in the middle of the boss arena?). Anyway, I think I've done just about all I can on this play through. Either going to start a NG++++ or start a new character.

Make sure that Steam Community is turned off. Plug in a 360 controller and see if you can open the GFWL login thing before the game crashes. Be sure to boot after reinstalling GFWL if all else fails. Also, when you install GFWL, notice that there are two components that need to be uninstalled before hand. Maybe drive ccleaner for good measure.

LTWood12

Diving back in after over a year away. After returning from my 2nd trip to the undead Asylum, I'm now at the entrance to Sen's Fortress. So it took me the better part of an hour just to get where I could consistently get across the bridge of swinging blades. I keep opting for dropping off at the end of the bridge to take on the three serpent mages, and prowling demons. I usually manage to best the mages, but the Prowling Demon always ends up having his way w/ me. Any advice?

I'm a level 87 Pyromancer. Drake Sword +1, Eagle Shield, Gargoyle Helmet, Crimson Robe, Crimson Waistcloth, Balder Gauntlets (I think?).

I'm at work, so I'm trying to remember best I can. Think I've got Pyromancy Glove +1. Fireball, Great Chaos Fireball, & Poisen Mist.

I know that's probably not enough to know w/out my stats, but I just want to make sure I'm not having an equipment/spell problem here. I know SF is supposed to be brutal, but I hoped I'd make a little more progress in the three hours I played last night than I did. Thanks!

Arjen

Diving back in after over a year away. After returning from my 2nd trip to the undead Asylum, I'm now at the entrance to Sen's Fortress. So it took me the better part of an hour just to get where I could consistently get across the bridge of swinging blades. I keep opting for dropping off at the end of the bridge to take on the three serpent mages, and prowling demons. I usually manage to best the mages, but the Prowling Demon always ends up having his way w/ me. Any advice?

Don't drop off to fight them?

Sullichin

I'm a level 87 Pyromancer. Drake Sword +1, Eagle Shield, Gargoyle Helmet, Crimson Robe, Crimson Waistcloth, Balder Gauntlets (I think?).

I'm at work, so I'm trying to remember best I can. Think I've got Pyromancy Glove +1. Fireball, Great Chaos Fireball, & Poisen Mist.

I know that's probably not enough to know w/out my stats, but I just want to make sure I'm not having an equipment/spell problem here. I know SF is supposed to be brutal, but I hoped I'd make a little more progress in the three hours I played last night than I did. Thanks!

You're a very high level for that area, the problem is your weapon, and the general difficulty of facing Sen's for the first time. It's actually a really easy area once you get through it. Drake Sword becomes pretty useless around this point of the game. You are better off getting a normal weapon and upgrading it. The Drake Sword is not worth upgrading because the materials to do so are rare, its max damage is outclassed by pretty much any other weapon, and it doesn't scale damage with your stats. If you know your stats I could give better recommendations, but generally you'll want a +10 weapon when you roll into Sens. Upgrading weapons and your pyro glove and shield would yield a much better return than pumping more levels. You honestly don't need a good weapon at all for Sens, which is the beauty of that dungeon. But it is recommended if you are new and especially if you are taking out the titanite demons too. But the snake men can all be handled smartly by tricking them into traps. There is a ring that you could have gotten when returning to the asylum that makes fighting the titanite demons in the mud easier. But you might want to come back to them when you have something better than the drake sword.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom