• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

eot

Banned
I was using sanctus + power within if that counts as healing (still net health loss). I haven't made a point of not using Estus, but I was cursed so he'd 1-shot me anyway so it's not like they would be of any use.

Sullichin

Artotias at SL1/RTSR is a really fun fight, but it's annoying how his slime attack is suddenly just as lethal of a threat as anything else. It wound up killing me more than any other attack.

I had my bloodstain disappear for the first time.

Fell off the bridge on top of Sen's Fortress and tried to quit out, but landed and survived. Loaded the game and spawned mid-air, fell and died of fall damage. No bloodstain anywhere when I came back.

ArynCrinn

Banned
I was using sanctus + power within if that counts as healing (still net health loss). I haven't made a point of not using Estus, but I was cursed so he'd 1-shot me anyway so it's not like they would be of any use.

Nice, never tried the Sactus+Power Within combo for any challenge fights. Now I might, love how there's still so many options. But honestly health regeneration kind of goes against my usual Red Tearstone policy and so does Power Within. So might be cool to switch it up.

Soulhouf

Nice, never tried the Sactus+Power Within combo for any challenge fights. Now I might, love how there's still so many options. But honestly health regeneration kind of goes against my usual Red Tearstone policy and so does Power Within. So might be cool to switch it up.

TBH the Sanctus regeneration speed is so slow that it doesn't make much difference. It's not even at the level of the unupgraded Adjucatur Shield in Demon's Souls.

Duster

I've just reached Blighttown and I hate it already, not so much for the annoying enemies and level design but due to the darker colour palette and framerate issues. Looks like I'll be going to Darkroot Garden instead.

To make matters worse when consulting a guide I realised that there doesn't appear to be a natural successor to my trusty hand-axe, I've tried using other weapons but always end up missing my starting weapon's speed. Do you think I can finish the game with my hand-axe? If so is there any special way I should upgrade it?

eot

Banned
TBH the Sanctus regeneration speed is so slow that it doesn't make much difference. It's not even at the level of the unupgraded Adjucatur Shield in Demon's Souls.

It does if you get your max health low enough, which is why it's useful at SL1 (since power within takes off % of your health).

Arjen

I've just reached Blighttown and I hate it already, not so much for the annoying enemies and level design but due to the darker colour palette and framerate issues. Looks like I'll be going to Darkroot Garden instead.

To make matters worse when consulting a guide I realised that there doesn't appear to be a natural successor to my trusty hand-axe, I've tried using other weapons but always end up missing my starting weapon's speed. Do you think I can finish the game with my hand-axe? If so is there any special way I should upgrade it?

It's a quality weapon, so if you level up dex and strenght take it to +15. But if swing speed is more important to you, you're better off picking a dex weapon like the iato/uchi or balder side sword. They have great swingspeed and better scaling in dex, which will make your weapon hit way harder on +15.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
It's a quality weapon, so if you level up dex and strenght take it to +15. But if swing speed is more important to you, you're better off picking a dex weapon like the iato/uchi or balder side sword. They have great swingspeed and better scaling in dex, which will make your weapon hit way harder on +15.

Plus the Iaito is like right at the entrance to Blighttown which is convenient.

eot

Banned
Nothing about Blighttown is convenient :p
I wouldn't even know how to go about explaining where to get the sword even though I know where it is.

Arjen

Nothing about Blighttown is convenient :p
I wouldn't even know how to go about explaining where to get the sword even though I know where it is.

Pretty easy if you enter from the depths.
Enter blighttown, run straight ahead until you can't go any further, jump accross.
Profit.

eot

Banned
Well, I was thinking if you're already at the bonfire. First time I got there I tried to get back out but I couldn't find the way. Maybe I'm just exceptionally bad at navigating that place.

I'm finding extremely hard to enjoy a game after finishing Dark Souls :( Anyone felt the same?

No, but since Dark Souls loads up fast (with skip intro) and saves every 10 seconds, it makes it more appealing to play when I'm lazy. Which is very frequently.

And the Iato is on a platform across from the first bonfire. It's not very convenient, because nothing about Blighttown is. It's "challenging" for a lot of the wrong reasons.

A patch on PC has broken unlockFPS in DSfix. Durante already fixed it, so you just gotta get the new version.

I already downloaded new version before typing that first message, did all the "delete GFWL, reinstall GFWL" things but it still does the same "NOT REP

Whoa, what. While I was typing this message, I went to see if the UnlockFPS option is set to 0 and it was. Went to the game and it again crashed the game at start up. Started typing that message and the game pops alive to full screen and starts working again.

Thanks Sullichin... I guess? I didn't know that the patch broke DSFix but good to know.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm finding extremely hard to enjoy a game after finishing Dark Souls :( Anyone felt the same?

My friend and I are almost done with a second run of the game and we beat it the first time in August I believe. It's like crack and it really is difficult picking something new to play after.

ArynCrinn

Banned
New DSFix still isn't where it was feature-wise before the patch. So I'm waiting it out on PC until Durante fixes everything completely as it was.

Soulhouf

It does if you get your max health low enough, which is why it's useful at SL1 (since power within takes off % of your health).

Oh you mean by cursing yourself and/or using Dusk Ring, Lingering Dragoncrest Ring or something like that?

New DSFix still isn't where it was feature-wise before the patch. So I'm waiting it out on PC until Durante fixes everything completely as it was.

It seems the basic features are there. I never change anything in the conf and I didn't notice any difference.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Holy fuck, 4k internal res with a 1080p DOF res and no additional blur looks amazinggggggg:

9862163234_64012f7422_o.png

eot

Banned
Trying to fight Manus on my SL1, but running from the bonfire down in the chasm the god damned bloathead mage kills me four out of five times. I can try to dodge his attacks on sound but it's pretty hard and he one-shots me. It takes three crossbow bolts to take him out, by which time I'm swarmed by humanity sprites. I guess I could farm for some more chunks to upgrade my crossbow (it's lightning +3) but I hope I don't have to. Anyone got any tips for getting past him? I know I can go in from the other direction but it's so much of a longer trek.

Trying to fight Manus on my SL1, but running from the bonfire down in the chasm the god damned bloathead mage kills me four out of five times. I can try to dodge his attacks on sound but it's pretty hard and he one-shots me. It takes three crossbow bolts to take him out, by which time I'm swarmed by humanity sprites. I guess I could farm for some more chunks to upgrade my crossbow (it's lightning +3) but I hope I don't have to. Anyone got any tips for getting past him? I know I can go in from the other direction but it's so much of a longer trek.

It can't spot you until you're right by it on the other path. It's way safer and only takes about 20 seconds longer, then you can just dash around the corner and start beating that punk with a club.or whatever you're using. Pretty sure you'll find out it's worth it if you just try it.

Hobobloke

You can just hug the left wall as you run down and then stand right under the mage, he'll stop casting and move off his vantage point for you to kill then keep going.

Easier to just drop down and take the path where you go to save the wolf pup and sneak up behind him for the kill. I'm pretty sure that's what snacks is suggesting.

Divius

5pcFxNC.jpg

I really hate how long it often takes to get summoned, I hope/expect this to get better with DS2.

Unless it had something to do with my appearance.

5pcFxNC.jpg

I really hate how long it often takes to get summoned, I hope/expect this to get better with DS2.

Unless it had something to do with my appearance.

Well i'm playing as hulk ATM, green,semi-naked, moody, have club will hit shit. I get summoned a lot. Co-op is still pretty plentiful on ps3 at the right soul levels regardless of how stupid I look.

Summoning on the PC has always been dodgy compared to its console counterparts I believe.

guess the flipside to that would be fewer invasions. There are places on the ps3 where you have to go off-line if you want to fully kindle a bonfire without interruptions at certain soul levels you get invaded that fast.

So, uh, how do you get out of the Catacombs from the Tomb of the Giants bonfire if you took the shortcut instead of turning the second bridge? (No Lordvessel.) First time I've done things in this order, since I wanted to save Rhea early to get some miracles. (My first faith based build.) Now when I try to backtrack, the only exit I can find is the bridge that's not turned.

=( 300 hours of playtime, didn't think I would get stuck with something silly like that.

So, uh, how do you get out of the Catacombs from the Tomb of the Giants bonfire if you took the shortcut instead of turning the second bridge? (No Lordvessel.) First time I've done things in this order, since I wanted to save Rhea early to get some miracles. (My first faith based build.) Now when I try to backtrack, the only exit I can find is the bridge that's not turned.

=( 300 hours of playtime, didn't think I would get stuck with something silly like that.

break the wall to where the dark moon ring is. Go that way. There will be a ladder to climb and a breakable floor to drop through into the middle of 3 skels so be ready.

break the wall to where the dark moon ring is. Go that way. There will be a ladder to climb and a breakable floor to drop through into the middle of 3 skels so be ready.

Great, thank you! Was really confused for awhile there. The Catacombs is generally an area that I run through pretty fast, and don't spend much time exploring in.

Great, thank you! Was really confused for awhile there. The Catacombs is generally an area that I run through pretty fast, and don't spend much time exploring in.

Yeah I know what you mean. I hit the same problem doing a faith run for the 1st time a while ago. Then I remembered where tranquil walk of peace was and that there was a collapsible floor up there. Of course I forgot all about the bloody skeletons as I'd always killed them before dropping through there in the past. It didn't end well.

sandboxgod

Neo Member
It's a really scrub tactic as an invader. Your goal is to make their life difficult, not waste their time and drag out fights forever.
The only thing thats lame is those divine blessings. Estus flasks and humanity popping can be easily punished. Plus the defender can rush into boss door and banish the invader anyway

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Summoning on PC isn't too bad if you follow the level guides pretty carefully and hit up the most popular summon bosses. I got quite a few summons on my first run for Gaping Dragon, Iron Golem, and O&S.

Oolacile Township was still ridiculously invasion heavy for me too.

Divius

Summoning on PC isn't too bad if you follow the level guides pretty carefully and hit up the most popular summon bosses. I got quite a few summons on my first run for Gaping Dragon, Iron Golem, and O&S.

Oolacile Township was still ridiculously invasion heavy for me too.
It's totally hit and miss for me. Sometimes I will put my sign down and get summoned within 30 seconds, or I will walk into a popular area and successfully summon the first phantom I try. Other times I can't get summoned nor summon for the hell of it. I also have no idea if there's anything I can do to improve it when I'm having a non-coop day.

Duster

Oh I should of said it's not just the speed but it's balance of power, speed, ability to hit multiple enemies at once, moveset etc, nothing else I've used has suited me quite as well.
So I guess I'll stick to the hand axe although I will try the Iato when I return to Blighttown (assuming I can find it), thanks.

Btw shouldn't the European steelbook be in the OP as you can still buy it from Zavvi?

krakov

Oh I should of said it's not just the speed but it's balance of power, speed, ability to hit multiple enemies at once, moveset etc, nothing else I've used has suited me quite as well.
So I guess I'll stick to the hand axe although I will try the Iato when I return to Blighttown (assuming I can find it), thanks.

Btw shouldn't the European steelbook be in the OP as you can still buy it from Zavvi?

Falchion is similar to hand axe if you spam 2H R1 and is good with dex. Hand axe will easily take you trough the game if you upgrade it though.

eot

Banned
Even though they take a while to get used to I find strength based weapons way more fun to use. It's so satisfying when you do land a hit on someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom